Leica entering m4/3?

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Jon Ragnarsson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,267Gear list
Like?
Nah...
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

I would bet that this is a viewfinder-less M.

-- hide signature --
 Jon Ragnarsson's gear list:Jon Ragnarsson's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Silvernitrate
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to Jon Ragnarsson, May 24, 2013

No it will be the leica version of the LF-1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Valentinian
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to Jon Ragnarsson, May 24, 2013

Jon Ragnarsson wrote:

I would bet that this is a viewfinder-less M.

-- hide signature --

Hope you're right.

But it will worthy only if the EVF quality will be stellar, because this full frame Leica mini-M will use only Leica manual focus lenses.

 Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to Valentinian, May 24, 2013

Valentinian wrote:

But it will worthy only if the EVF quality will be stellar, because this full frame Leica mini-M will use only Leica manual focus lenses.

E-PL5 has only a 460k dot screen, less than 3" when used 3:2, and manual focusing is quite easy at 10x.

 walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Valentinian
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

Valentinian wrote:

But it will worthy only if the EVF quality will be stellar, because this full frame Leica mini-M will use only Leica manual focus lenses.

E-PL5 has only a 460k dot screen, less than 3" when used 3:2, and manual focusing is quite easy at 10x.

a "Leica" EVF has to be better, it should rival the mirror of the best DSLR, or it won't make sense.

 Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

No chance. The teaser lists:

M

Mini M

Micro M

Nano M

... and the one being teased is the Mini M. Imagine the marketing mess of a Mini M thats using the Micro4/3rds system? Or having to explain "no madam, that is the Micro M, and its not anything to do with our Micro 4/3rds camera. Our Micro 4/3rds camera is that one there, the Mini M"

Just from a confusion level it is a non starter.

 AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

Valentinian wrote:

But it will worthy only if the EVF quality will be stellar, because this full frame Leica mini-M will use only Leica manual focus lenses.

E-PL5 has only a 460k dot screen, less than 3" when used 3:2, and manual focusing is quite easy at 10x.

I don't think the zooming in tonnes, focusing, zooming out and recomposing really fits with the shooting style of a Lecia.

They already have focus peaking and an EVF for the M 240 so we might just see that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to neil holmes, May 24, 2013

I am with you. I have the M9P but it won't work with my Canon 85mmL/f1.2 and accurate framing with the 21mm/f1.4 Summilux is a nightmare. If it really is a live view only M-240 then it would make sense to dump the M9 and replace it by the MiniM/EVF and a Monochrom (since the B&W rangefinder is perfect for my 50mm and 35mm Summilux)...then all I need to do is update my trusty GF1 to the new Pen, providing the new Pen EVF is compatible with the MiniM, and should be fine....small matter of cash though.

 PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zodiacfml
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to AndyGM, May 24, 2013

Right. The minimum  sensor they will approach this is through the X2 sensor, but what feature, will increase the physical dimensions?  A rangefinder X2 sensor with a fixed, prime lens? Or, a full frame M240 sensor, without the rangefinder but with autofocus? Or a rangefinder, fullframe with fixed, prime lens with AF?

AndyGM wrote:

No chance. The teaser lists:

M

Mini M

Micro M

Nano M

... and the one being teased is the Mini M. Imagine the marketing mess of a Mini M thats using the Micro4/3rds system? Or having to explain "no madam, that is the Micro M, and its not anything to do with our Micro 4/3rds camera. Our Micro 4/3rds camera is that one there, the Mini M"

Just from a confusion level it is a non starter.

 zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

I don't think the zooming in tonnes, focusing, zooming out and recomposing really fits with the shooting style of a Lecia.

It's contemplative and slower paced, so I disagree with you on that.

 walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 18,009Gear list
Like?
They can't.......
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

TEdollph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: They can't.......
In reply to tedolf, May 24, 2013

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

 walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 18,009Gear list
Like?
Sigh.......
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigh.......
In reply to tedolf, May 24, 2013

tedolf wrote:

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

I'm aware of that, which was my whole point. Leica doesn't make anything, except a few lenses. The entire guts and processing of their cameras is outsourced.

 walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?
I think unlikely
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

The name is Mini M, and its logical and business vise sane to adopt the M mount. And speaking of such, while its highly anticipated, there is no telling what the sensor might be. It can easily be that of APS-C too , or it can be FF utilizing the old M9 sensor or a version of the M240's but M4/3 , probably NO. It does not made sense to get into an already crowded fighting established. And at the same time, supporting the M mount would be good synergy with the various M mount platform Leica already have and most important need no new lens lineup. Though, being Mini as the name goes and M mount, leica probably should deliver some really wide angle for the format if its APS-C ( like 16 , 14, and 12mm and the Tri-Elmar is not the answer )

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigh.......
In reply to tedolf, May 24, 2013

tedolf wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Yes, and what I'm suggesting would be a panasonic m4/3 camera with a red dot on it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigh.......
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

I'm aware of that, which was my whole point. Leica doesn't make anything, except a few lenses. The entire guts and processing of their cameras is outsourced.

I think that applies to the large majority of stuff these days.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

I don't think the zooming in tonnes, focusing, zooming out and recomposing really fits with the shooting style of a Lecia.

It's contemplative and slower paced, so I disagree with you on that.

And Leicas have always been about photojournalism and capturing "the decisive moment". Leica users pride themselves on being able to focus as fast as some AF cameras.

I don't see much chance of them having a 100% zoom being the only way on manual focus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ohmydentist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877
Like?
micro M has APS sensor, mini M will have same or larger sensor
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

given that Leica knows mini is larger than micro.  ^^

-- hide signature --

^__^
Just Shoot !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to CharlesB58, May 24, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has spotted this on the front page.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/23/leaca-teases-mini-m-for-11th-june-release

DPR specutale it might be a permanent liveview FF M camera (something I would absolutely love tbh) but I was wondering about also maybe the possibility of Leica joining m4/3.

Anyone know when the next panny announcement is due? Maybe they have made a camera Leica feels comfortable putting its name on (GX2 maybe).

Pure speculation and I think DPRs guess is probably better than mine, which tbh I hope it is. I don't need an overpriced panny body. Just thinking aloud tbh.

The teaser photo shows a box that is not much bigger than the M9. This means the camera is considerably smaller than that camera. It would be a major accomplishment to put a FF sensor into such a small body. Also, "Mini-M" implies a variation on the existing M series, which would not fit marketing strategy for an FF camera.

Would it really be that much of an accomplishment? I mean the top half an inch or so of the M series is very little but rangefinder mechanism and control dials AFAIK. There's also no knowing whether the box is to scale. The way Leica normally like to present their cameras it looks like that box would be too small for the X2. Maybe someone who has seen on of these boxed can clarify.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads