Leica entering m4/3?

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,480Gear list
Like?
Leica entering m4/3?
May 23, 2013

Not sure if anyone else has spotted this on the front page.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/23/leaca-teases-mini-m-for-11th-june-release

DPR specutale it might be a permanent liveview FF M camera (something I would absolutely love tbh) but I was wondering about also maybe the possibility of Leica joining m4/3.

Anyone know when the next panny announcement is due? Maybe they have made a camera Leica feels comfortable putting its name on (GX2 maybe).

Pure speculation and I think DPRs guess is probably better than mine, which tbh I hope it is. I don't need an overpriced panny body. Just thinking aloud tbh.

bethonos
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to Dheorl, May 23, 2013

But you already have Panasonic Leica lens, the DG SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4. BTW, a great prime lens it is!

EDIT: Ooopst, originally I thought you were talking about lens there, not body. Yup, for the body there is no Leica-branded one there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,173
Like?

Seems unlikely.... too much competition. Keeping if full frame would keep it unique, and they can use the same sensors they have already.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
Had the same thought ...

That would be interesting all right, enough that I'm willing to risk a little misplaced hope.

Evidently Leica is planning a June 11th announcement while over on the rumors site they're discussing a couple of Panasonic announcements for mid-August.

So I'm not sure the stars are aligning ....

larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/23/leaca-teases-mini-m-for-11th-june-release

DPR specutale it might be a permanent liveview FF M camera (something I would absolutely love tbh) but I was wondering about also maybe the possibility of Leica joining m4/3.

Anyone know when the next panny announcement is due? Maybe they have made a camera Leica feels comfortable putting its name on (GX2 maybe).

Pure speculation and I think DPRs guess is probably better than mine, which tbh I hope it is. I don't need an overpriced panny body. Just thinking aloud tbh.

DPR's analysis seems more likely...a "stripper" version of their M240 or whatever it's called.  The parallax focusing setup adds a lot of cost to the body.  Removing that and using an EVF pulls down the cost, plus makes it very different from the high-end "legendary" body, thus reducing the odds of cannibalizing from its high end models.

Dheorl
Like?
In reply to larsbc, May 23, 2013

larsbc wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

DPR's analysis seems more likely...a "stripper" version of their M240 or whatever it's called.  The parallax focusing setup adds a lot of cost to the body.  Removing that and using an EVF pulls down the cost, plus makes it very different from the high-end "legendary" body, thus reducing the odds of cannibalizing from its high end models.

Yea. As I say that's something I'd quite like to see. Have been waiting for a decent small manual focus FF camera. I'd rather have focus peaking to rangefinder for alot of stuff I shoot and I thought the RX1 might be it but sony screwed that up IMO. Hopefully this Leica might prove more promising.

What I'd really love is a Lecia with proper rangefinder but with dual finder a la fuji, but I don't see that happening at least until the M 240 replacement comes along.

Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
In reply to larsbc, May 23, 2013

This actually makes a lot of business sense.  Increase the potential market perhaps sell a few more lenses.

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,205
Like?
In reply to Jeff, May 23, 2013

Jeff wrote:

This actually makes a lot of business sense.  Increase the potential market perhaps sell a few more lenses.

And get in before Sony.

To be able to use ANY lens made (just about).

Just what I want....to use alongside smaller format mirrorless with the same lenses.

walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

m4/3 makes no sense for them. We already have mature Oly and Panny cameras at a cheaper price than Leica will ask, and we can already use M mount lenses on them.

Thinking about it more, I don't see what they could do that would be new and unique.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,809
Like?
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

m4/3 makes no sense for them. We already have mature Oly and Panny cameras at a cheaper price than Leica will ask, and we can already use M mount lenses on them.

Thinking about it more, I don't see what they could do that would be new and unique.

The only advantage I see is using Leica Lenses at their original designed focal. But I doubt that Leica sensor will have that much more resolution (see S. Huff's comparisons). Also now we have the Metabones adapters. Leica must feel the heat, one way or another.

But because people are still deluded by the FF illusion they'll flock to a slightly cheaper Leica model.

Am.

-- hide signature --
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,205
Like?
In reply to amalric, May 24, 2013

amalric wrote:

walkaround wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

The only advantage I see is using Leica Lenses at their original designed focal. But I doubt that Leica sensor will have that much more resolution (see S. Huff's comparisons). Also now we have the Metabones adapters. Leica must feel the heat, one way or another.

But because people are still deluded by the FF illusion they'll flock to a slightly cheaper Leica model.

Am.

-- hide signature --

Maybe some will....me I will flock to it (if I can afford it or sony isn't quick enough) to use decent lenses at what they were made for (and still use them on smaller formats for different uses.

I look forward to a speedbooster too...if it comes first, that MAY be enough but there will always be that little bit of glass added....no matter how good it is, a camera that does not need a glass adapter will be better.....more expensive though.

Things like a 85 1.2 (got it), 50 1.2 (got one but want better), 24 1.4 want one.

AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

- 1: Leica has already said they are commited to APS, not 4/3.

- 2: If you think the Panasonic GX2 body will be overpriced, how much do you think it would be with a Red Dot and a Leica name on the body (hint see Hasselblad NEX-7, eh, Lunar)

No I don't think it would be priced as high as the Lunar, but it would most certainly have a hefty premium over the Panasonic price.

Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

Taking into account the fact that Samsung is producing APSC cameras exactly the same size as MFT cameras, I can guarantee you that if not FF, those will be APSC, or a new standard altogether in-between the two sizes.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,561
Like?
Here is the first IMAGE of that Leica Mini M

Oh sorry, my bad, it's not the "Mini M" but the "Mine Me" (next to the full fledged version):

Dr Evil and Mini Me (of Austin Powers fame)

Excuse me, but I really could not resist.

On a more serious note :

* I don't see Leica joining in µFT

* if it is called a Mini-M it should certainly take M-mount lenses (or else what is the point)

* So I believe that DPR's view is probably the most logical : a camera that can mount M-lenses (crop factor or FF) but with simplified mechanics.  Leica has recently ventured into the realm of LiveView, so maybe the camera will be LiveView only, either on LCD only, or on LCD and on an inbuilt EVF (without need for the rangefinder innards).

And also this :

Whatever the Leica-product will be: I doubt whether the name is a wise choice.

Really? Are we waiting for Mini-Anything?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Dheorl
Like?
Re: Here is the first IMAGE of that Leica Mini M
In reply to RoelHendrickx, May 24, 2013

Oh sorry, my bad, it's not the "Mini M" but the "Mine Me" (next to the full fledged version):

Dr Evil and Mini Me (of Austin Powers fame)

Excuse me, but I really could not resist.

On a more serious note :

* I don't see Leica joining in µFT

* if it is called a Mini-M it should certainly take M-mount lenses (or else what is the point)

* So I believe that DPR's view is probably the most logical : a camera that can mount M-lenses (crop factor or FF) but with simplified mechanics.  Leica has recently ventured into the realm of LiveView, so maybe the camera will be LiveView only, either on LCD only, or on LCD and on an inbuilt EVF (without need for the rangefinder innards).

And also this :

Whatever the Leica-product will be: I doubt whether the name is a wise choice.

Really? Are we waiting for Mini-Anything?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

I dunno about the M meaning it will take M mount lenses. They've termed the X2 the micro M.

I hope they don't try another half frame M mount camera either.

Dheorl
Like?
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

New and unique within m4/3 or in general?

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,910Gear list
Like?

Does not really fit in with the type stuff they do, apart from the products where they sell their name to Panasonic. I would guess it is going to have an M mount.

With Leica making it, I never need to womder whether I can afford one

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Dheorl
Like?
In reply to AllMankind, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

- 1: Leica has already said they are commited to APS, not 4/3.

- 2: If you think the Panasonic GX2 body will be overpriced, how much do you think it would be with a Red Dot and a Leica name on the body (hint see Hasselblad NEX-7, eh, Lunar)

No I don't think it would be priced as high as the Lunar, but it would most certainly have a hefty premium over the Panasonic price.

-1: Where have they said this? (I'd be genuinly interested in reading it.)

-2: I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying the actual GX2 will be overpriced. I'm saying if Leica did a m4/3 camera it would essentially just be an overpriced GX2.

Dheorl
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 24, 2013

Does not really fit in with the type stuff they do, apart from the products where they sell their name to Panasonic. I would guess it is going to have an M mount.

With Leica making it, I never need to womder whether I can afford one

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

That's what I'm wondering - not if they're actually going to make their own m4/3 camera, just whether this big announcement will turn out to be them just slapping their name on a panny product (something they have done plenty before).

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,791
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

The teaser photo shows a box that is not much bigger than the M9. This means the camera is considerably smaller than that camera. It would be a major accomplishment to put a FF sensor into such a small body. Also, "Mini-M" implies a variation on the existing M series, which would not fit marketing strategy for an FF camera.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads