My first wedding with OMD

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,474
Like?
Re: My first wedding with OMD
In reply to Y1981, May 27, 2013

Y1981 wrote:

Many, many thousands if not millions photographers has D4, 1Dx and other top equipment but theres only one Yervant, one Joe Bussink, one Jerry Ghionis:-D"

This is so very true. I had three wedding photography master classes with Jerry Ghionis and this gave me much more than any camera can do. And if I ever get married (again) I'd prefer Jerry or Yervant with an iPhone than an average camera guy with a big gun.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,192Gear list
Like?
In reply to RudivanS, May 27, 2013

RudivanS wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

RudivanS wrote:

Yes, all very good, however, I would prefer a professional photographer using Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4,

for this once in a lifetime event (?).

Yeah, right, with 70% divorce rate...

That's why the (?)

And the photographer is obviously professional. The sports cameras would not help a bit.

Not help a bit? It is about speed,

How 12 fps would help you vs 9 fps at the wedding? AF-S is just as fast with E-M5.

accuracy

Mirror means backfocus/frontfocus issues with some lenses, mirrorless/CDAF means that if you are focusing on a right thing, you'll be focusing on that right thing.

and dependability.

You have to have 2 cameras on a shoot like that anyway. With 2 1Dx and FF lenses, you cannot depend on your back.

Not size, weight and cost effectiveness.

You can believe what you want

Any business is about cost effectiveness too. Hobby is much more relaxed in this regard.

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

.... I cannot tell that I accept all the couples to shoot also, it is normal:-)...

Heh heh, not so much of a problem in Russia.

Over here you'd be rejecting a lot more for 'artistic reasons'.

jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Great Color shots, horrible toned shots

First, big kudos to the photographer - I think the OMD is simply a tool in your hands, and you would have done nicely with any combination

Great compositions and faces on the subjects - I like all of them.  the color versions, that is -- Sorry, but I loathe the over-the-top sepia versions - too dark, not enough tonality, just not my cup of tea at all.

The color versions are excellent, though - thanks for sharing both versions, and I'm curious to know which versions the couple preferred?

-- hide signature --

JL Smith
www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith
www.clickingwithsmitty.com

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Sorry, "Horrible" too strong of a word
In reply to jl_smith, May 27, 2013

I should have just said I vastly prefer the color versions, not that the toned are horrible but maybe I have an innate dislike for most sepia?

Anyway, great shots.

-- hide signature --

JL Smith
www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith
www.clickingwithsmitty.com

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
coffeeaddiction2012
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

Lovely shots

Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry, "Horrible" too strong of a word

:)) it's ok, I would worry If everybody will like it:) I found that it looks not so good if monitor is not calibrated, I personally love this sepia in prints. Anyway, this sepia is a free addition to color photos

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,153Gear list
Like?
Tedolph has been......
In reply to slainte, May 27, 2013

slainte wrote:

Y1981 wrote:

Much appreciated all of the comments here, thanks to all of you!

Today I shot another wedding, there was some action shots, probably I will share that images also but I need some rest first:)

I'm just curious how your customers react to the small-ish equipment.

It's not about the load of equipment you carry around on a wedding. It's about the way you work (and later about what you deliver).

Really nobody except some forum geeks or Uncle Bobs do wonder about the equipment you use. Maybe that's different on other assignments, but not on a wedding.

saying this for ages.

Nobody wants to believe it.

Cheers
Dirk

-- hide signature --

It's only just begun...

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 27, 2013

69chevy wrote:

Y1981 wrote:

69chevy wrote:

First let me say that the pictures are very nice.

That being said, this is not a wedding.

Every shot is posed, most are at ISO 200, there is no ceremony, and the lighting was under your control.

Please show the actual wedding so those considering using this camera for weddings can see the ISO 6400 shots in the church, or at the reception.

You say there were few missed focus shots. How can you miss focus on a stationary couple?

Is there a shot of them walking down the aisle?

I believe you that they were getting married, but really in these shots, they are modeling.

If I were to show the OMD shooting sports, yet all of the shots were posed, could I say it was a sports camera?

It is a wedding, do not forget that weddings are different in different countries.

Your pictures are of the bride and groom, not of the wedding.

These are still excellent pictures and this is not a forum dedicated to technical aspects of wedding photography.

This day there was a ceremony but not in church, so I decided not to show that because it is not so beautiful IMO.

"A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage".

I never used ISO 6400 even on FF even in dark church, 6 of 15 photos are at ISO 200, so it is not the most, at least.

I have. During the ceremony, in an effort to have enough DOF to get the bride, groom, and wedding participants all in focus.

Why you decided that couple was stationary? Why you decided that they posed all this time?

I didn't decide. They are clearly posing.

Why do you assume they posed? Why driving steam locomotive can't be a regular part of the wedding?

And, IMO, since the couple is looking forward to a bright future, they seem to look natural. Next thing after suggesting the shots were posed would be to assume that the people on photos are hired professional actors, not actual bride and groom.
OP, fantastic work!

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry, "Horrible" too strong of a word

jl_smith wrote:

I should have just said I vastly prefer the color versions, not that the toned are horrible but maybe I have an innate dislike for most sepia?

Anyway, great shots.

I almost missed such great photos because sepia versions were posted first. These looked too dark and depressing to me, more suitable for funeral, not for wedding.

I'm glad I returned to this thread after OP posted color versions. The color photos are beautiful. I especially like how retro atmosphere was captured with Chaika car, but every photo is outstanding.

Kudos to photographer. I wish I had such great artist and digital cameras at my wedding in 1990.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
RudivanS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,317Gear list
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

RudivanS wrote:

Not help a bit? It is about speed, accuracy and dependability. Not size, weight and cost effectiveness.

I have 1Dmk3 also, it is less accurate in AF, it has less resolution, it is faster in contionuous AF and faster on 1 fps, but it's much heavier. 9fps of OMD more than enough for wedding, I export from RAW in LR 20 megapixel jpegs without quality loss, everybody happy.

If for some clients equipment is more important than what they see on photos then the photos of this photographer are not so good to make a choice for them. I cannot tell that I accept all the couples to shoot also, it is normal:-)

And also I want to paste my answer from another thread here:

"Do you ask when you come to the restaurant how and on what pan does their cook making a meat for you? Or do you ask what scalpel does surgeon use? Couples choose wedding photographer when they see his photos or when their friends recommend them, I never heard questions on what camera do I shoot @ first talk, usually people ask about that after we sign an agreement and only if they are interested in photography. That was never a criteria.

I tend to think that in wedding photography equipment is secondary thing, the main thing is how you work with people. I switching from FF to m4/3 because it's lighter and because I can produce same or better quality with m4/3. It's just a tool.

Many, many thousands if not millions photographers has D4, 1Dx and other top equipment but theres only one Yervant, one Joe Bussink, one Jerry Ghionis:-D"

Okay, you are proud of your your work, and so you should be, as the photos posted here are good.

I never said otherwise.

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Canon Pixma Pro-10
oldphotog2
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
In reply to Y1981, May 29, 2013

Excellent photos! I'm thinking of down sizing from Nikon to a 4/3 and looking at E-PL5. These photos have helped me sway my opinion very much. Now to find how to handle one myself, for none of the stores in my area let alone the state carry Olympus.

oldphotog2's gear list:oldphotog2's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
In reply to oldphotog2, May 29, 2013

Check out Ming Thien's website, he has wedding photos shot with the OMD on today's home page, makes for more wedding photo ideas. His work is really fine.

Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
In reply to Michael's Photos, May 29, 2013

Sorry - it's Ming Thein.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads