Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
RamblinR
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: My first wedding with OMD
In reply to Y1981, May 26, 2013

Beautiful work. Lovely set.

RamblinR's gear list:RamblinR's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
In reply to Yehuda_, May 26, 2013

Yehuda_ wrote:

goshigoo wrote:

Very nice

It would be even better if you are using FF and large aperture primes...

Some of the photos would be even better if the DOF is shallower

Probably, but I used 70-200/2.8 II and 85/1.2 with 5dmk2 and misfocus shots was pretty often especially @ high ISO, Oly primes gave me as shallow DOF as I wanted to get and almost no shots not in focus which is more valuable to me at weddings because it's always not enough time for photoshoot and I have no rights to make mistakes:-) The only thing I miss is continuous AF of FF, on Oly it works not really good to me.

Exactly!!!

This is exactly what I keep telling people who think you can shoot with very fast lenses and not need flash.
You misfocus too frequently and even a small misfocus can utterly destroy a good image.
In fact - working at such apertures is difficult even when complemented with flash (meaning you get to shoot at even higher shutter speeds).

That's besides the point that good flash usage gives a much more pleasant lighting to many scenarious.

Nice images
When I told folks here that I rarely get missed focus shots at my weddings using my Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds cameras there was disbelief!
living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com

YouDidntDidYou
Like?
In reply to Fullframer, May 26, 2013

I think the DoF and angle is right, if it bothered the couple or they asked I would spend a few seconds cloning out the cars in post, thinner depth of field would just look stupid.

-- hide signature --

YouDidntDidYou
Like?
In reply to Prairie Pal, May 26, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

Y1981 wrote:

Much appreciated all of the comments here, thanks to all of you!

Today I shot another wedding, there was some action shots, probably I will share that images also but I need some rest first:)

I'm just curious how your customers react to the small-ish equipment.

They would be too busy having a good time and/or appreciate the fact that they can see the photographer's face so communication is improved....

YouDidntDidYou
Like?
In reply to Canadianguy, May 26, 2013

Canadianguy wrote:

Very interesting discussion and shows the differences of how wedding photography has changed over the years which I think has been partially gear driven.

These are wonderfully images and reminds of photos from back in the day - very old school.

High end wedding photography used to be done in medium format. So most of the photos were all posed shots - everything was planned and composed by the photographer, very little of this photo-journalistic style that is popular today.

As the 35mm cameras and film started to get better - people started using it for weddings, it opened up the market to more photographers who didn't necessary have the posing or compositional skills of the old style photographers. I think you also had newspaper photographers coming into the market and using their experience in capturing moments instead of creating moments - the 35mm cameras helped greatly in this.

Fast forward to the digital age and everything is automated (AF focus, Auto-metering, etc) and 10x faster with almost unlimited memory storage - shoot shoot shoot - shoot 5000 images and delivery 300 - something will work.

Nice to see that m4/3 is forcing people to slow down once again and shoot old school.

a Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds wedding shooter wouldn't likely shoot 5,00 shots and deliver 300 images, they would shot about 450 and deliver the 300 images and about 3 times quicker to their clients than a DSLR Full Framer

slainte
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Nobody cares. Really.
In reply to Prairie Pal, May 26, 2013

Y1981 wrote:

Much appreciated all of the comments here, thanks to all of you!

Today I shot another wedding, there was some action shots, probably I will share that images also but I need some rest first:)

It's not about the load of equipment you carry around on a wedding. It's about the way you work (and later about what you deliver).

Really nobody except some forum geeks or Uncle Bobs do wonder about the equipment you use. Maybe that's different on other assignments, but not on a wedding.

Cheers
Dirk

-- hide signature --

It's only just begun...

djsphynx
Regular MemberPosts: 491
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 26, 2013

Yikes, move on pls.

To OP, very well done.

69chevy wrote:

Y1981 wrote:

69chevy wrote:

Your pictures are of the bride and groom, not of the wedding.

This is a part of a wedding when couple walking in city in various places, my favorite part, I decided to share this part with forum. Weddings are not the same all over the world.

"A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage".

And? There was ceremony in something like city council in US, but not in church, when it will be in church I'll share it.

I have. During the ceremony, in an effort to have enough DOF to get the bride, groom, and wedding participants all in focus.

That is your way of doing things, why not:-) I never use ISO above 3200, one of the shots with 3200 I showed. With m4\3 you have bigger DOF, so theres no need of high iso.

I didn't decide. They are clearly posing.

It is a normal part of every wedding in Russia, they posed of course, sometimes, but not everywhere on photos.

I am not trying to take anything away from your images, I think they are very, very good.

I am merely stating my opinion that these pictures are not of the wedding.

They are well composed, well exposed, well processed, beautiful pictures.

Minus the wedding rings, they could also be engagement, prom, marketing, or fashion pictures.

That is my only critique.

-- hide signature --
djsphynx
Like?
In reply to RudivanS, May 26, 2013

RudivanS wrote:

Yes, all very good, however, I would prefer a professional photographer using Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4,

for this once in a lifetime event (?).

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

Not sure if you're married, but when my wife and I were looking for a wedding photographer, it wasn't a major consideration. In fact, we looked at her past deliverables and personality as the sole indicators. Had I chosen based only on gear that I like i.e. Nikon, I could have ended up wtth the photog that my friend chose, who was freaking terrible. She, unlike me, now has to get images from other people, including mine, to reconstruct her day.

Picking someone on gear alone is stupid.

-- hide signature --
djsphynx
Like?
In reply to Fullframer, May 26, 2013

This last one with the bride in the air would have come out better if a better angle was used.  The distracting automobiles at the bottom.   At least with FF  if you had to shoot from this angle you could have blurred the background out better for less distraction

Come on now... not by that much. Plus, show this picure to the bride and the LAST thing she sees is the stupid cars lol In any case, he can PP those out super easily.

lol and I thought the Nikon gear forum was full of fanboys. I think what's happening here is Canikon wedding photogs are terrified that another brand might actually do well in their wheelhouse.

Not to worry guys, he's in Russia, so he's no threat to you lol

Again to the OP, great series. I also prefer the colored versions, but the sepia pictures did draw me in and had me wanting to see more. Congrats, or like we sometimes say, chapeau.

-- hide signature --
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,973Gear list
Like?

I think you got some great moments but to me, by adding the sepia and vignette to every single one of them, they are held back a bit from their potential.

Unless of course, this is precisely what the customers wanted.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,973Gear list
Like?

Just saw this. Yes, some of this definitively work better without the Post.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raist3d, May 26, 2013

Since all my clients became my friends, I think that my friends has to have a choice, I mean that I make B&W and Sepia in addition to the color photos:) This sepia makes photos more intimate, that's my point of view and if my clients don't think so then they can just delete them easily, but I found that personal taste changing with time and it's better to have all (color+bw+sepia in family archive). Just doing things like for myself:)

howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595
Like?

These photos look great.

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,359Gear list
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

Prairie Pal wrote:

omd + battery grip is bigger than 5dmk2 without grip, my clients choose me, not my camera, so they don't care about my equipment

69chevy wrote:

Any camera in the world can shoot people posing. AF, metering and ISO is all up to the photographer when people are posed, and outdoors

Do people always run on your weddings indoor in the church? Or it is prohibited to use flash indoors not in the church? Or there is a problem to shoot @ iso 1600-3200 with OMD? Or you think that wedding should be without posing? Or you want to say that OMD is not capable to shoot action or moving people? Or you think that word "wedding" should be used only for photos with ceremony in the church?

im not suprised the omd is a great wedding camera, my last grad shoot was shot side by side with a canon 5dmk2, i shot with a pentax k7, i then had to process all of the pics for the studio, let me say the canon was crap to say the least, the studio had a complaint as to why i couldnt make the 5d photos look like the k7 photos ? as far as low light my zx1 can match the 5dmk2, have a look at these shots that are heavily cropped for a comparrision. shot side by side.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to Y1981, May 27, 2013

Beautiful shots!  But to me, that tone is a kind of depressing color...  Not suitable for a wedding.  On the other hand, the lack of color brings out the compositions better.  I would probably prefer B&W to sepia.  Of course the choice is for the couple.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Donald B, May 27, 2013

I don't care what they were taken on, those shots are instant classics.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,645Gear list
Like?
In reply to RudivanS, May 27, 2013

RudivanS wrote:

Yes, all very good, however, I would prefer a professional photographer using Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4,

Yeah, right, with 70% divorce rate...

And the photographer is obviously professional. The sports cameras would not help a bit.

RudivanS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,314Gear list
Like?
In reply to peevee1, May 27, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

RudivanS wrote:

Yeah, right, with 70% divorce rate...

That's why the (?)

And the photographer is obviously professional. The sports cameras would not help a bit.

Not help a bit? It is about speed, accuracy and dependability. Not size, weight and cost effectiveness.

You can believe what you want

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Canon Pixma Pro-10
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,308
Like?
In reply to Donald B, May 27, 2013

Donald B wrote:

im not suprised the omd is a great wedding camera, my last grad shoot was shot side by side with a canon 5dmk2, i shot with a pentax k7, i then had to process all of the pics for the studio, let me say the canon was crap to say the least, the studio had a complaint as to why i couldnt make the 5d photos look like the k7 photos ? as far as low light my zx1 can match the 5dmk2, have a look at these shots that are heavily cropped for a comparrision. shot side by side.

I agree, the OMD is a great camera but as every other camera, it needs a good and talented photographer in order to get the best out of it, as beautifully demonstrated here by the OP. This can also explains the difference between the two photos you have posted.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
In reply to RudivanS, May 27, 2013

RudivanS wrote:

Not help a bit? It is about speed, accuracy and dependability. Not size, weight and cost effectiveness.

I have 1Dmk3 also, it is less accurate in AF, it has less resolution, it is faster in contionuous AF and faster on 1 fps, but it's much heavier. 9fps of OMD more than enough for wedding, I export from RAW in LR 20 megapixel jpegs without quality loss, everybody happy.

If for some clients equipment is more important than what they see on photos then the photos of this photographer are not so good to make a choice for them. I cannot tell that I accept all the couples to shoot also, it is normal:-)

And also I want to paste my answer from another thread here:

"Do you ask when you come to the restaurant how and on what pan does their cook making a meat for you? Or do you ask what scalpel does surgeon use? Couples choose wedding photographer when they see his photos or when their friends recommend them, I never heard questions on what camera do I shoot @ first talk, usually people ask about that after we sign an agreement and only if they are interested in photography. That was never a criteria.

I tend to think that in wedding photography equipment is secondary thing, the main thing is how you work with people. I switching from FF to m4/3 because it's lighter and because I can produce same or better quality with m4/3. It's just a tool.

Many, many thousands if not millions photographers has D4, 1Dx and other top equipment but theres only one Yervant, one Joe Bussink, one Jerry Ghionis:-D"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads