-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudivanS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,315Gear list
Like?
Re: My first wedding with OMD
In reply to Y1981, May 24, 2013

Yes, all very good, however, I would prefer a professional photographer using Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4,

for this once in a lifetime event (?).

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Canon Pixma Pro-10
Fullframer
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to Marioly, May 24, 2013

Marioly wrote:

Bravo, who says that 4/3 is not for weddings

Until you have to shoot in venue with dim lighting and no flash is required, or need shallower Depth of field.

Fullframer
Like?
In reply to RudivanS, May 24, 2013

RudivanS wrote:

Yes, all very good, however, I would prefer a professional photographer using Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4,

for this once in a lifetime event (?).

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

Agreed.  M43 can do a great job, providing the lighting is decent.  The IQ from the images of Nikon FF or Canon FF will be superior, esp if you need to print larger or shoot with no flash at high ISO.

Fullframer
Like?
In reply to peevee1, May 24, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

I like these more in color, the rest are wonderful in sepia!

Y1981 wrote:

manual focus old Soviet Union macro lens Volna-9 with m42-m4/3 adapter iso 320

75/1.8  iso 1000

75/1.8 from the ground 9 fps, iso 1600

Thanks for sharing!

Too bad you have EXIFs removed, there is always something to learn.

This last one with the bride in the air would have come out better if a better angle was used.  The distracting automobiles at the bottom.   At least with FF  if you had to shoot from this angle you could have blurred the background out better for less distraction

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,250Gear list
Like?
You mean like this?
In reply to Fullframer, May 24, 2013

Thanks for the laugh

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
slainte
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
It's your own fault if you carry more... ;)
In reply to 69chevy, May 25, 2013

69chevy wrote:

Please show the actual wedding so those considering using this camera for weddings can see the ISO 6400 shots in the church, or at the reception.

Is there a shot of them walking down the aisle?

Just kidding.

Anyway, ISO 6400 is still usable. But as you can easily use the lenses wide open, ISO 3200 is sufficient for almost everything. Expose to the right and you'll be happy.

Walking shots are easy. For example the 75mm 1.8's AF is blazingly fast. It easily outperformed da D700 in side-by-side comparison.

I dumped all the big stuff in August last year. By now I have shot 20 weddings with OM-Ds only. Too much work and no time for blogging.

But you may see lots of pics here:
https://www.facebook.com/brautrausch

Eveything past September 2012 should be OM-D only.

Cheers
Dirk

-- hide signature --

It's only just begun...

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to Y1981, May 25, 2013

Y1981,

I am extremely impressed with both sets, thank you for sharing!  My wife prefers the sepia and I prefer the color but I know how hard weddings can be, and this is extremely well done!

I also agree that trying to achieve shallow DOF can cause more problems than is worth it sometimes when time is limited and the event can not be repeated.  I love DOF as much as the next guy, but it can cause that sinking feeling when you get home and some shots are not as sharp as you had thought.

Excellent work!

Z

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
pen araneae
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

Excellent photos. A very interesting combination of lenses. Thanks for sharing.

pen araneae's gear list:pen araneae's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,337
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 25, 2013

69chevy wrote:

Your pictures are of the bride and groom, not of the wedding.

Pictures of bride and groom are always part of a wedding photograpy.

"A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage".

Not necessarily. I shot many weddings of couple that just signed at the official registry without any ceremony and the wedding day included just a party and photo session. It was still called a wedding.

I have. During the ceremony, in an effort to have enough DOF to get the bride, groom, and wedding participants all in focus.

I have shot about 200 weddings and never had to go over ISO 3200 even in the worst case of low light. I never had a problem in getting the desired DOF inside a church because if you are an experienced photographer, you should know how to do it witout going to ISO6400 in order to get everyone in focus even in a church.

Anyway, if this is your main concern, you'll be pleased to know thay in this respect, an OMD will have a clear advantage over a FF.

I didn't decide. They are clearly posing.

So what? That is just a matter of personal style and preference. Some prefer posing, others not and there is nothing wrong with either way.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Big One, May 25, 2013

The Big One wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

I like your color much more than the overly processed vintage sepia.

Same here; both are nice, but the color ones are amazing IMHO.  Very nice work!

I liked the stylized set but was skeptical that the photographer might have been masking equipment short-comings.  The stunning unprocessed images proved both the equipment and photographer are professional.  That makes me like the sepia toned images that much more.

I think Olympus will sell a few more 75 f/1.8 lenses because of this thread !!

aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?

I don't really care what you shot them with - they're really very nicely executed, regardless of the  sepia PP (which I"m not fond of but hey, it's not my wedding!). #13 is the only one that annoyed me - and that's only because the cigar in the groom's mouth gave him a very strange-looking face.

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?

the shots are excelent personally not liking the odd sepia proecessing

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Gravi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264Gear list
Like?
Another great example

of the fact that the photographer is more important than the camera that is used.

Great set, like the PP and I think the customers might be very happy - I would be happy (and I am a photographer - those people are not easily satisfied )

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi's gear list:Gravi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +7 more
daqk
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
Re: My first wedding with OMD - you posted sepia first ... interesting

It is rather artistic to post sepia, I enjoyed them more than the color ones. Again, I guess this is personal taste

Your talent would make me think to come back to Oly camp again - I am in Sony mostly now but still kept couple 4/3 m4/3 gears in case.

All in all, this is when a true photographer focuses on how to bring the best of the pictures for such important event, the equipment is less important to your sucess - I bet you can almost do the same WoW factor if you have a point-and-shoot camera.

Thanks for sharing. Would like to see more pictures from you ...

Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

Much appreciated all of the comments here, thanks to all of you!

Today I shot another wedding, there was some action shots, probably I will share that images also but I need some rest first:)

ChromeDome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387Gear list
Like?
outstanding [nt]
-- hide signature --

ChromeDome's gear list:ChromeDome's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 50D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +36 more
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to Y1981, May 26, 2013

Y1981 wrote:

Much appreciated all of the comments here, thanks to all of you!

Today I shot another wedding, there was some action shots, probably I will share that images also but I need some rest first:)

I'm just curious how your customers react to the small-ish equipment.

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370
Like?
In reply to Moti, May 26, 2013

Moti wrote:

69chevy wrote:

Your pictures are of the bride and groom, not of the wedding.

Pictures of bride and groom are always part of a wedding photograpy.

I know, part of. Not all of.

"A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage".

Not necessarily. I shot many weddings of couple that just signed at the official registry without any ceremony and the wedding day included just a party and photo session. It was still called a wedding.

Yes. This is the definition of a wedding. There is a difference between a wedding, and "getting married".

I have. During the ceremony, in an effort to have enough DOF to get the bride, groom, and wedding participants all in focus.

I have shot about 200 weddings and never had to go over ISO 3200 even in the worst case of low light. I never had a problem in getting the desired DOF inside a church because if you are an experienced photographer, you should know how to do it witout going to ISO6400 in order to get everyone in focus even in a church.

Yeah, like.. Hold on everyone! Mr. Preacher Man, could you please step three steps toward the couple so I can make sure you are in focus at f2.8? If I stop down I will be at ISO 6400 and I am an experienced photographer, so I know what to do here.

Stop! Could all of you bridesmaids and groomsmen please move up towards the bride and groom. I am experienced here!!

LOL!

I guess this is the one advantage of a small sensor. You can shoot wide open and still have plenty of DOF at a low enough ISO to be acceptable.

On the other hand a FF camera has similar noise at twice the ISO, so the advantage doesn't matter.

Anyway, if this is your main concern, you'll be pleased to know thay in this respect, an OMD will have a clear advantage over a FF.

Not my main concern, I just want to see the OMD shoot a wedding.

I didn't decide. They are clearly posing.

So what? That is just a matter of personal style and preference. Some prefer posing, others not and there is nothing wrong with either way.

I didn't say there was. Any camera in the world can shoot people posing. AF, metering and ISO is all up to the photographer when people are posed, and outdoors.

I am fairly certain that the photographer who shot these could do so with any camera.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
In reply to Prairie Pal, May 26, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

I'm just curious how your customers react to the small-ish equipment.

omd + battery grip is bigger than 5dmk2 without grip, my clients choose me, not my camera, so they don't care about my equipment

69chevy wrote:

Any camera in the world can shoot people posing. AF, metering and ISO is all up to the photographer when people are posed, and outdoors

Do people always run on your weddings indoor in the church? Or it is prohibited to use flash indoors not in the church? Or there is a problem to shoot @ iso 1600-3200 with OMD? Or you think that wedding should be without posing? Or you want to say that OMD is not capable to shoot action or moving people? Or you think that word "wedding" should be used only for photos with ceremony in the church?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads