My first wedding with OMD

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,274Gear list
Like?
A small sampling...
In reply to 69chevy, May 24, 2013

Thanks for your response -- and I understand your point for sure.

In regard to the tennis, here is a link to a few samples in one of my Pbase galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/daddyo/tennis_and_golf_action

The tennis tournament was a 3 day tournament that included team photos and about 1,000 images of tennis action -- mostly shot using the Pany 35-100mm and the Olympus 75-300mm.

My apologies to the OP -- I don't want to hijack the thread.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Waine
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Re: My first wedding with OMD
In reply to Y1981, May 24, 2013

Great shots, goes to show what planning and composition can do. I always wonder when i see nice wedding photos, do you guys find it hard to be satisfied with your own wedding shots? I would imagine the knowledge of such high end work makes a person pickier when it comes to their own wedding.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,829Gear list
Like?

I like these more in color, the rest are wonderful in sepia!

Y1981 wrote:

manual focus old Soviet Union macro lens Volna-9 with m42-m4/3 adapter iso 320

75/1.8  iso 1000

75/1.8 from the ground 9 fps, iso 1600

Thanks for sharing!

Too bad you have EXIFs removed, there is always something to learn.

Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

69chevy wrote:

First let me say that the pictures are very nice.

That being said, this is not a wedding.

Every shot is posed, most are at ISO 200, there is no ceremony, and the lighting was under your control.

Please show the actual wedding so those considering using this camera for weddings can see the ISO 6400 shots in the church, or at the reception.

You say there were few missed focus shots. How can you miss focus on a stationary couple?

Is there a shot of them walking down the aisle?

I believe you that they were getting married, but really in these shots, they are modeling.

If I were to show the OMD shooting sports, yet all of the shots were posed, could I say it was a sports camera?

It is a wedding, do not forget that weddings are different in different countries.

This day there was a ceremony but not in church, so I decided not to show that because it is not so beautiful IMO.

I never used ISO 6400 even on FF even in dark church, 6 of 15 photos are at ISO 200, so it is not the most, at least.

Why you decided that couple was stationary? Why you decided that they posed all this time?

Y1981
Like?
In reply to peevee1, May 24, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

I like these more in color, the rest are wonderful in sepia!

Thanks for sharing!

Too bad you have EXIFs removed, there is always something to learn.

That is the part of my workflow, i'm about exif. But I will leave it in especially for DRP:-)

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

69chevy wrote:

First let me say that the pictures are very nice.

That being said, this is not a wedding.

Every shot is posed, most are at ISO 200, there is no ceremony, and the lighting was under your control.

Please show the actual wedding so those considering using this camera for weddings can see the ISO 6400 shots in the church, or at the reception.

You say there were few missed focus shots. How can you miss focus on a stationary couple?

Is there a shot of them walking down the aisle?

I believe you that they were getting married, but really in these shots, they are modeling.

If I were to show the OMD shooting sports, yet all of the shots were posed, could I say it was a sports camera?

It is a wedding, do not forget that weddings are different in different countries.

Your pictures are of the bride and groom, not of the wedding.

This day there was a ceremony but not in church, so I decided not to show that because it is not so beautiful IMO.

"A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage".

I never used ISO 6400 even on FF even in dark church, 6 of 15 photos are at ISO 200, so it is not the most, at least.

I have. During the ceremony, in an effort to have enough DOF to get the bride, groom, and wedding participants all in focus.

Why you decided that couple was stationary? Why you decided that they posed all this time?

I didn't decide. They are clearly posing.

Y1981
Like?

69chevy wrote:

This is a part of a wedding when couple walking in city in various places, my favorite part, I decided to share this part with forum. Weddings are not the same all over the world.

And? There was ceremony in something like city council in US, but not in church, when it will be in church I'll share it.

I have. During the ceremony, in an effort to have enough DOF to get the bride, groom, and wedding participants all in focus.

That is your way of doing things, why not:-) I never use ISO above 3200, one of the shots with 3200 I showed. With m4\3 you have bigger DOF, so theres no need of high iso.

It is a normal part of every wedding in Russia, they posed of course, sometimes, but not everywhere on photos.

Canadianguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?

Very interesting discussion and shows the differences of how wedding photography has changed over the years which I think has been partially gear driven.

These are wonderfully images and reminds of photos from back in the day - very old school.

High end wedding photography used to be done in medium format. So most of the photos were all posed shots - everything was planned and composed by the photographer, very little of this photo-journalistic style that is popular today.

As the 35mm cameras and film started to get better - people started using it for weddings, it opened up the market to more photographers who didn't necessary have the posing or compositional skills of the old style photographers. I think you also had newspaper photographers coming into the market and using their experience in capturing moments instead of creating moments - the 35mm cameras helped greatly in this.

Fast forward to the digital age and everything is automated (AF focus, Auto-metering, etc) and 10x faster with almost unlimited memory storage - shoot shoot shoot - shoot 5000 images and delivery 300 - something will work.

Nice to see that m4/3 is forcing people to slow down once again and shoot old school.

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,915Gear list
Like?
Composition is the key......

to great photography.  Vision and theme are what drives it.  Competent execution realizes it.

These photo's have it all.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Y1981
Like?
In reply to Canadianguy, May 24, 2013

Thank you for your opinion! I love the look of OMD which reminds me old film cameras, bright metal lense (love 75/1.8) and some special feel of camera in hands. I'm tired of Canon, almost every wedding photographer has Canon or Nikon, all people has same lenses => same result in the frame (in a matter of bokeh and overall feel of an image), I want something different, film-like, old school style. Love the noise structure of OMD.

Also, I feel some kind of challenge when use Oly. Don't know how describe it but I more satisfied when use relatively cheap camera and lenses while producing nice (for my taste) images than when use top equipment. All the limitations of m4\3 camera makes you think more than when shoot with FF, for example. Top cameras forgive more photographer mistakes, it relaxed me more than I need when I shoot with Canon 5dmk2.

This wedding was relatively calm, but most of the weddings I shoot are more active where the camera has to be fast enough to catch the moment, will see how it will handle such job:)

Tomorrow is gonna be the next wedding, hope there will be something to share 

tedolf wrote:

to great photography.  Vision and theme are what drives it.  Competent execution realizes it.

These photo's have it all.

Tedolph

Nice to hear, thank you!

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

69chevy wrote:

This is a part of a wedding when couple walking in city in various places, my favorite part, I decided to share this part with forum. Weddings are not the same all over the world.

And? There was ceremony in something like city council in US, but not in church, when it will be in church I'll share it.

That is your way of doing things, why not:-) I never use ISO above 3200, one of the shots with 3200 I showed. With m4\3 you have bigger DOF, so theres no need of high iso.

It is a normal part of every wedding in Russia, they posed of course, sometimes, but not everywhere on photos.

I am not trying to take anything away from your images, I think they are very, very good.

I am merely stating my opinion that these pictures are not of the wedding.

They are well composed, well exposed, well processed, beautiful pictures.

Minus the wedding rings, they could also be engagement, prom, marketing, or fashion pictures.

That is my only critique.

Y1981
Like?

69chevy wrote:

I am not trying to take anything away from your images, I think they are very, very good.

I am merely stating my opinion that these pictures are not of the wedding.

They are well composed, well exposed, well processed, beautiful pictures.

Minus the wedding rings, they could also be engagement, prom, marketing, or fashion pictures.

That is my only critique.

Thank you for your opinion! Much appreciated, these pictures of only one part of the wedding, thats ok, let it be engagement, prom, marketing, fashion or whatever you would like to 

dutch oven
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

Hello!

Switched from Canon FF and L-lenses to Oly and very happy with OMD IQ, all olympus lenses used are wide open, almost no frames not in focus, I think OMD can be easily used by wedding photographers.

Just wanted to share some pics from yesterday's wedding, made with OMD + 9-18 + 25/1.4 + 75/1.8

PP in LR+ PS + Silver Efex, love sepia tone for this wedding, clients definitely will get in color also.

P.S. English is not my native, sorry:)

These are much better than the usual stuff on the forums.  It just goes to show that it is the photographer and not the camera.

The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,368Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, May 24, 2013

DonSantos wrote:

I like your color much more than the overly processed vintage sepia.

Same here; both are nice, but the color ones are amazing IMHO.  Very nice work!

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,998
Like?

Y1981 wrote:

This day there was a ceremony but not in church, so I decided not to show that because it is not so beautiful IMO....

This is SO true,

Moscow weddings are all about the after-wedding, the locations, buildings etc etc.

The 'registry office' can look a bit crappy so there's not much point showing those photos ... although if they have the tiny orchestra it can look cool.

Lovely photos! I just wonder how long (time) it took to get all the different scenes?

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?

Excellent! I love the color ones better.

The only one thing that I do not personally like is the center placement of the cigar which gave him kind of a silly look. But perhaps that is exactly what you want to achieve to show his ecstasy?

Keith Schmidt
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,022Gear list
Like?
Outstanding...

I really like both sets - the sepia set has that timeless feeling to it, and works really well, but the color versions are outstanding too.  You clearly show that the skill of the photographer is far more important than the gear, although as an OMD user, I certainly appreciate the capabilities of this camera.

Beautiful bride, by the way.  Really stunning.

Keith Schmidt's gear list:Keith Schmidt's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?

These are lovely.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?
Re: You make a very good point, but...

69chevy wrote:

As for the the cameras ability to shoot tennis, I would love to see that..

Through a wire fence, at a wedding, or it doesn't count.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Love the color images.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads