My first wedding with OMD

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Ellen 1
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
Re: My first wedding with OMD
In reply to Winston Loo, May 24, 2013

I vote for the color pictures, I find them really lovely.

-- hide signature --

Ellen McIlroy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,085Gear list
Like?
In reply to Y1981, May 24, 2013

A very fine series!  Some one wanted an old time feel for this event and spared no expense by the look of it!

Andrew

Y1981
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

Thanks for everyone for your opinions! Much appreciated!!

If you don't mind I would share new images from another photoshoots when it will came^)

Sepia is one of the variants, of course all the clients are getting all the pictures in color and, in addition, some of them in sepia, B&W and cross process:, I give them a choise from all the variants to select images for photo book:)

goshigoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?

Very nice

It would be even better if you are using FF and large aperture primes...

Some of the photos would be even better if the DOF is shallower

Inkheart
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

I prefer colour as well, but the photos are excellent. Well done!

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

Inkheart's gear list:Inkheart's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Y1981
Like?
In reply to goshigoo, May 24, 2013

goshigoo wrote:

Very nice

Probably, but I used 70-200/2.8 II and 85/1.2 with 5dmk2 and misfocus shots was pretty often especially @ high ISO, Oly primes gave me as shallow DOF as I wanted to get and almost no shots not in focus which is more valuable to me at weddings because it's always not enough time for photoshoot and I have no rights to make mistakes:-) The only thing I miss is continuous AF of FF, on Oly it works not really good to me.

scooter9999
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?

Classy stuff.  Very well done.

-- hide signature --

Russell Hunt (Scooter)
Queenslabd, Australia
www.throughmyeye.smugmug.com

scooter9999's gear list:scooter9999's gear list
Olympus E-M1
pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?

very nice pics - i prefer the color versions.

btw, i'm not sure i agree that a shallower DOF would have improved these.  i like the interplay between the people and the world around them.  the pics work for me as they are.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
cnb
cnb
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,091Gear list
Like?

Privet!

It was obvious from your first post that you knew what you were doing and were doing it very well, but personally I much prefer the colour versions to the sepia ones. Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Christa

cnb's gear list:cnb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +11 more
Y1981
Like?
In reply to cnb, May 24, 2013

Privet!

Thanks! Almost all of the photos were made as an improvisation:-)

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,239
Like?

Very beautiful and professional wedding photographs and I like both series, each has it's own charm and character and a mix of both styles would be great in the album.

I am also a wedding photographer and am switching from Canon FF to OMD. Your photos prove me that I do the right decision so thank you very much for sharing.

I have one question. Did you also use the OMD in real low light situation such as church, dinner, dancing etc and if yes, can you please give some info about your experience for AF speed and noise levels in these conditions.

Thanks

Moti

-- hide signature --
Yehuda_
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?

goshigoo wrote:

Very nice

Probably, but I used 70-200/2.8 II and 85/1.2 with 5dmk2 and misfocus shots was pretty often especially @ high ISO, Oly primes gave me as shallow DOF as I wanted to get and almost no shots not in focus which is more valuable to me at weddings because it's always not enough time for photoshoot and I have no rights to make mistakes:-) The only thing I miss is continuous AF of FF, on Oly it works not really good to me.

Exactly!!!

This is exactly what I keep telling people who think you can shoot with very fast lenses and not need flash.
You misfocus too frequently and even a small misfocus can utterly destroy a good image.
In fact - working at such apertures is difficult even when complemented with flash (meaning you get to shoot at even higher shutter speeds).

That's besides the point that good flash usage gives a much more pleasant lighting to many scenarious.

Yehuda_'s gear list:Yehuda_'s gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
Y1981
Like?
In reply to Moti, May 24, 2013

Moti wrote:

Very beautiful and professional wedding photographs and I like both series, each has it's own charm and character and a mix of both styles would be great in the album.

I am also a wedding photographer and am switching from Canon FF to OMD. Your photos prove me that I do the right decision so thank you very much for sharing.

I have one question. Did you also use the OMD in real low light situation such as church, dinner, dancing etc and if yes, can you please give some info about your experience for AF speed and noise levels in these conditions.

Thanks

Moti

-- hide signature --

One of the reasons why I decided to share photos was to show people that OMD is capable to do weddings and IMO job done not so bad:) (I compared IQ with my previous weddings made with Canon FF)

Used OMD in low light situations, noise level is surprisingly good, primes like PL 25/1.4 give you good DOF, not too shallow for banquet or. I also use FL500 which is powerful enough to do the job. The only thing I can say about low light situation is that it is better to keep WB right for each situations because it is harder to fix tints when use LR, I mean harder than for FF. Also it is better to keet right exposure or better even slightly overexpose - this because 12 bit RAW on Oly, this give less freedom in PP especially in shadow areas.

Yesterday was cloudy and rainy day, so many of photos above are made with high ISO, photo with bride near by the tree made with ISO 3200, but a lot of details still in the image which surprised me because with FF image at same situations was much softer.

Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

Great shots.

I prefer the colour versions, just a personal preference.

REALLY good use of the 75 in particular.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
Y1981
Like?
In reply to Yehuda_, May 24, 2013

Exactly!!!

This is exactly what I keep telling people who think you can shoot with very fast lenses and not need flash.
You misfocus too frequently and even a small misfocus can utterly destroy a good image.
In fact - working at such apertures is difficult even when complemented with flash (meaning you get to shoot at even higher shutter speeds).

That's besides the point that good flash usage gives a much more pleasant lighting to many scenarious.

I personally don't like flash, prefer to use available light, never used 85/1.2@1.2, 70-200/2.8 used wide open but I can't tell that DOF was too shallow to keep focus in right place, so I had to make many doubles to make sure that I will have well focused shot at least on one of the photos, with Oly I could say that this problem has gone. 75/1.8 is supersharp wide open, love this lens!!

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,309Gear list
Like?

Very well done, im going with the sepia, reason being when i first looked at the pics it had the WOW factor, then after reading all the reponses and looking at the colour, they were good but didnt have the same impact as the sepia, awsome photos best ive seen for a while.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,260
Like?

Nice images in composition, but I am not a fan of the constant sepia (and it looks a bit too dark for my tastes too).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369
Like?

First let me say that the pictures are very nice.

That being said, this is not a wedding.

Every shot is posed, most are at ISO 200, there is no ceremony, and the lighting was under your control.

Please show the actual wedding so those considering using this camera for weddings can see the ISO 6400 shots in the church, or at the reception.

You say there were few missed focus shots. How can you miss focus on a stationary couple?

Is there a shot of them walking down the aisle?

I believe you that they were getting married, but really in these shots, they are modeling.

If I were to show the OMD shooting sports, yet all of the shots were posed, could I say it was a sports camera?

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,239Gear list
Like?
You make a very good point, but...
In reply to 69chevy, May 24, 2013

I use my E-M5's all the time for corporate event work, and recently even a very small wedding. The event work covers all kinds of scenarios -- most of which are the same as wedding scenarios, in terms of action, lighting, and variety of subject matter. Coverage even includes a lot of action such as golf, tennis, and archery.

Since I shot weddings professionally for 25 years, I can assure your that the E-M5 is more than up to the challenge of shooting weddings with excellent results -- if you doubt it, here's a link to one of Dirk Weber's weddings shot with E-M5's and prime lenses:

http://blog.brautrausch.de/hochzeiten/290-ari-phillip-hochzeit-weingut-fitz-ritter.html

If your bone of contention is simply with the examples posted by the OP, then I fully agree that the excellent images he/she posted do not adequately reflect the challenges presented during a wedding shoot -- but they are outstanding, none the less.

And by the way, yes it is very possible to have static poses slightly out of focus using a DSLR with very shallow depth of field, as PDAF is much more prone to slight front or back focus than CDAF. The OP made a valid comment about this issue -- my E-M5's tend to be either spot on (most of the time), or way out of focus (rarely). If focus is off, it is easy to spot when reviewing the shot on the LCD -- not the case with my DSLR.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369
Like?
Re: You make a very good point, but...
In reply to daddyo, May 24, 2013

daddyo wrote:

I use my E-M5's all the time for corporate event work, and recently even a very small wedding. The event work covers all kinds of scenarios -- most of which are the same as wedding scenarios, in terms of action, lighting, and variety of subject matter. Coverage even includes a lot of action such as golf, tennis, and archery.

Since I shot weddings professionally for 25 years, I can assure your that the E-M5 is more than up to the challenge of shooting weddings with excellent results -- if you doubt it, here's a link to one of Dirk Weber's weddings shot with E-M5's and prime lenses:

http://blog.brautrausch.de/hochzeiten/290-ari-phillip-hochzeit-weingut-fitz-ritter.html

If your bone of contention is simply with the examples posted by the OP, then I fully agree that the excellent images he/she posted do not adequately reflect the challenges presented during a wedding shoot -- but they are outstanding, none the less.

And by the way, yes it is very possible to have static poses slightly out of focus using a DSLR with very shallow depth of field, as PDAF is much more prone to slight front or back focus than CDAF. The OP made a valid comment about this issue -- my E-M5's tend to be either spot on (most of the time), or way out of focus (rarely). If focus is off, it is easy to spot when reviewing the shot on the LCD -- not the case with my DSLR.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

No contention really, I would just love to see some shots from the wedding.

I agree static objects can be challenging for focus with a very shallow DOF, I would not consider any of these shots as having very shallow DOF.

As for the the cameras ability to shoot tennis, I would love to see that..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads