Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454Gear list
Like?
Re: Hassy's Lunar gets real
In reply to Anders W, May 24, 2013

Anders W wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Yeah, sure, I'm ready to spend over $5K for a NEX 7.

Not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fT3BYH6YkIg#!

What? As a Swede, I am of course extremely proud of this truly path-breaking product. Just look at that exquisite design and I am sure there is lots of revolutionary wooden technology on the inside as well. Trust me. Worth every penny.

Well, since you put it that way, I'm sold!

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

It's not worse than what Leica do to panasonic cameras, if anything they might have even put more effort in.

What really gets me is that Hassy was not  "luxury" camera company. Their reputation was for building highly functional, reliable, and modular cameras that produced excellent images. They weren't cheap, but selling this PoS as  luxury item is, well, brain dead to me. Sure, they'd offer the occasional collector's kit, but by and large Hassys were shooters cameras, not toys for the rich.

I never realised Leica used to be that much of a luxury camera company. I thought it was pretty much the standard for working photojournalists back in the day.

If you see any photos of PJs in Viet Nam it's very likely that they'd have at least one Leica around their neck. Leicas were a standard of quality and durability.

So Lecia never used to be a luxury camera brand either? Cos it sure is now.

I think Hassy is being percieved similary tbh, although they still make possibly the best "working" cameras in existance.

It was a premium brand, but not luxury. It was a shooter's tool, and one of the very best.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Mark Smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,701Gear list
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 24, 2013

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

It's not worse than what Leica do to panasonic cameras, if anything they might have even put more effort in.

What really gets me is that Hassy was not  "luxury" camera company. Their reputation was for building highly functional, reliable, and modular cameras that produced excellent images. They weren't cheap, but selling this PoS as  luxury item is, well, brain dead to me. Sure, they'd offer the occasional collector's kit, but by and large Hassys were shooters cameras, not toys for the rich.

I never realised Leica used to be that much of a luxury camera company. I thought it was pretty much the standard for working photojournalists back in the day.

If you see any photos of PJs in Viet Nam it's very likely that they'd have at least one Leica around their neck. Leicas were a standard of quality and durability.

So Lecia never used to be a luxury camera brand either? Cos it sure is now.

I think Hassy is being percieved similary tbh, although they still make possibly the best "working" cameras in existance.

It was a premium brand, but not luxury. It was a shooter's tool, and one of the very best.

In the main that was true, but they have done gold plated 'de luxe' editions.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,991
Like?
In reply to peevee1, May 24, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Trollshavethebestcandy wrote:

Why the $&@% would you buy this ugly faucet tap laden lazy-boy grip camera over a Leica at that price point? Use it as an anchor for your yacht not snapping pics. As an anchor it might repel barnacles because it's hideous.

There's no way this compares to any Leica (the real ones, not the Leicasonics). Leicas are expensive, but you do get a real camera with real (nice) glass. This Hassy Luna is a very, very  bad joke. Dressing up a NEX 7, which is also a really nice camera, and charging five times as much for "luxury" is stupid.

NEX-7 is infinitely better camera than, say, Leica M9, so this styled camera will also be better.

Looking at the specs of the new Leica M, it seems to be at least as good as a NEX 7. There is an EVF, live view, peaking, and video.

jtan163
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

Yeah but Leica was not originally a luxury company either.
They became that to stay profitable.
I'd say Hassy is doing the same.

MF is not something I know anything about, but from what I can tell, Hassy is not doing all that well in digital MF, s my guess is they'e just looking for a way to keep their heads above water and taking money out of the hands of those  over endowed with cash and under endowed with an eye for value, by gluing exotic materials to a NEX is a reasonable well proven way of doing it.
As long as the market for crocodile skins and hardwood cameras is big enough to support both Hassy and Leica.

Of course Hassy is behind the 8 ball, because Leica is now well established in the luxury market and Hassy will have to convince the over well financially endowed that they have the cachet to match Leica.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?

I placed my pre-order.

(kidding)

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,313Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Anders W wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

What? As a Swede, I am of course extremely proud of this truly path-breaking product. Just look at that exquisite design and I am sure there is lots of revolutionary wooden technology on the inside as well. Trust me. Worth every penny.

Well, since you put it that way, I'm sold!

Oh, and I forgot the best. Everyone who buys one of these get invited to a special glamor show where you get to see Victor Hasselblad rotating in his grave.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

It was indeed the standard, as was Nikon, the rule being that you used Nikon for telephoto stuff and Leicas for normal and wideangle, where rangefinder focusing can be an advantage (which is rapidly lost once you get past 50mm -- I once had a 200mm Komura rangefinder lens with accessory finder for Leica M mount, and trying to focus is with a four-inch-base rangefinder was a joke), because they were good and because they were sturdy (though you can knock the vertical alignment of a Leica rangefinder out of whack with a harsh look).

Likewise, Hasselblad was a workhorse. I remember the ads from the 1960s. The headline was "The System. Not to be confused with a camera." And the ads would be in magazines that also sold things like Questar telescopes which, too, were gotten because they were good, not because they were expensive (which they were).

-- hide signature --

depscribe
some pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/depscribe/

depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to teseg, May 24, 2013

teseg wrote:

I placed my pre-order.

(kidding)

I know you're kidding, but I'd love to hear from someone who bought one, and why. I'd be really curious. If they're rich, and want a status symbol, that's fine with me.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

This is being sold as a 'prestige' product rather than as camera.

Some narcissistic personalities have a weakness for such things.

Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 803Gear list
Like?

To quote the video...."the Lunar has a feeling of decadence".

I had to pause and take a little break after that sentence.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Nikon D5300 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,821
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Why the $&@% would you buy this ugly faucet tap laden lazy-boy grip camera over a Leica at that price point? Use it as an anchor for your yacht not snapping pics. As an anchor it might repel barnacles because it's hideous.

There's no way this compares to any Leica (the real ones, not the Leicasonics). Leicas are expensive, but you do get a real camera with real (nice) glass. This Hassy Luna is a very, very  bad joke. Dressing up a NEX 7, which is also a really nice camera, and charging five times as much for "luxury" is stupid.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Leica did sell that Hermes M9 for what $50,000? granted that was with some expensive lenses aswell but its still a pretty massive premium over a regular M-9.

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,667
Like?
In reply to MoreorLess, May 24, 2013

people in this thread obviously never heard of high end watches...

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,372Gear list
Like?
They didn't design it for you.

If you aren't the kind of person to which $1000 and $5000 are both pocket change, they didn't design this for you.  It's for people that want something precisely because it is expensive.

dmanthree
Like?
Re: They didn't design it for you.
In reply to tkbslc, May 25, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

If you aren't the kind of person to which $1000 and $5000 are both pocket change, they didn't design this for you.  It's for people that want something precisely because it is expensive.

I wouldn't buy it even if I had millions burning a whole in my pocket. Fact is, I could afford one, but I find the whole thing insulting.

You are very correct, however, I buy cameras to actually use. Not become shelf queens.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,191
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 25, 2013

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

I am dumb enough to have an Armani shirt, I am dumb enough to have (once) bought a Rolex watch.....

I am sill enough to use multiple brands of cameras.....

There is no freaking way in hades that I would be caught dead in the same room as one of these hideous things...even if I could afford one.

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 25, 2013

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

I dispute the suggestion that Hasselblad's cameras were EVER reliable. They were hopelessly under-engineered....

The metal was soft, and the paint would scrape off if you lightly drew your thumbnail across it.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to peevee1, May 25, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

NEX-7 is infinitely better camera than, say, Leica M9, so this styled camera will also be better.

I'm inclined to the idea that the NEX is a rather better camera than the [film] Hasselbalds ever were.

This could be one small step-up for Hassy-kind.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, May 25, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

I dispute the suggestion that Hasselblad's cameras were EVER reliable. They were hopelessly under-engineered....

The metal was soft, and the paint would scrape off if you lightly drew your thumbnail across it.

Mine must have been the lone exception, I guess. I pounded on my 500 C/M for years, shooting thousands of rolls, and never experienced anything but reliable behavior. It showed wear, but nothing like you describe. It was a brick, and produced excellent images from start to finish.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, May 25, 2013

neil holmes wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

I am dumb enough to have an Armani shirt, I am dumb enough to have (once) bought a Rolex watch.....

I am sill enough to use multiple brands of cameras.....

There is no freaking way in hades that I would be caught dead in the same room as one of these hideous things...even if I could afford one.

Funny thing, others in this thread have pointed out the similarities between this camera and high-end watches, for example. And they make a good point, too. So what is it about this stupid camera that immediately evokes a negative reaction from so many of us? I'm guessing that if Rolex re-badged a Seiko it might elicit the same type of response. This is simply a "poodled" Sony NEX 7, and while it's an excellent camera, it's not worth $5K. Just like a poodled Seiko isn't worth 5X it's selling price.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads