Hassy's Lunar gets real

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,450Gear list
Like?
Hassy's Lunar gets real
May 23, 2013

Yeah, sure, I'm ready to spend over $5K for a NEX 7.

Not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fT3BYH6YkIg#!

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Hassy's Lunar gets real
In reply to dmanthree, May 23, 2013

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

It's not worse than what Leica do to panasonic cameras, if anything they might have even put more effort in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, May 23, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

It's not worse than what Leica do to panasonic cameras, if anything they might have even put more effort in.

What really gets me is that Hassy was not  "luxury" camera company. Their reputation was for building highly functional, reliable, and modular cameras that produced excellent images. They weren't cheap, but selling this PoS as  luxury item is, well, brain dead to me. Sure, they'd offer the occasional collector's kit, but by and large Hassys were shooters cameras, not toys for the rich.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
toporossa
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?

Of course it's a matter of taste, but to my eyes the Leica versions were at least often better looking compared to the Panasonic originals, while the Lunar is an excess in tastelessness....and for that they plan to charge five times as much as Sony, while Leica was content with doubling the Panasonic prize - of course I wouldn't pay that either...

Dheorl
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

What really gets me is that Hassy was not  "luxury" camera company. Their reputation was for building highly functional, reliable, and modular cameras that produced excellent images. They weren't cheap, but selling this PoS as  luxury item is, well, brain dead to me. Sure, they'd offer the occasional collector's kit, but by and large Hassys were shooters cameras, not toys for the rich.

I never realised Leica used to be that much of a luxury camera company. I thought it was pretty much the standard for working photojournalists back in the day.

Trollshavethebestcandy
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?

Why the $&@% would you buy this ugly faucet tap laden lazy-boy grip camera over a Leica at that price point? Use it as an anchor for your yacht not snapping pics. As an anchor it might repel barnacles because it's hideous.

dmanthree
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

I never realised Leica used to be that much of a luxury camera company. I thought it was pretty much the standard for working photojournalists back in the day.

If you see any photos of PJs in Viet Nam it's very likely that they'd have at least one Leica around their neck. Leicas were a standard of quality and durability.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Trollshavethebestcandy, May 23, 2013

Trollshavethebestcandy wrote:

Why the $&@% would you buy this ugly faucet tap laden lazy-boy grip camera over a Leica at that price point? Use it as an anchor for your yacht not snapping pics. As an anchor it might repel barnacles because it's hideous.

There's no way this compares to any Leica (the real ones, not the Leicasonics). Leicas are expensive, but you do get a real camera with real (nice) glass. This Hassy Luna is a very, very  bad joke. Dressing up a NEX 7, which is also a really nice camera, and charging five times as much for "luxury" is stupid.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Dheorl
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

If you see any photos of PJs in Viet Nam it's very likely that they'd have at least one Leica around their neck. Leicas were a standard of quality and durability.

So Lecia never used to be a luxury camera brand either? Cos it sure is now.

I think Hassy is being percieved similary tbh, although they still make possibly the best "working" cameras in existance.

walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:.

Leicas were expensive then, same as now. Many professionals used Canon copies of Leica models. That was Canon's bread and butter for many years in the late 40's and into the 50's.

I have a 1951 Canon iv-f, and it's a beautiful piece of hardware.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

They are now, but not so in the past.

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to George Paulides, May 24, 2013

"It has a feeling of decadence."

What a perfect description!

dec·a·dent

2. Marked by or providing unrestrained gratification; self-indulgent. 1. Being in a state of decline or decay.adj.
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412Gear list
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 24, 2013

They're obviously not out to compete with NEX 7, and it is obviously not targeted at gearheads or pros: This is for people for who buy luxury cars and luxury watches and luxury clothes. None of those things are functionally different or better than their non-luxury counterpart except for looks and feels.

Luckily we're not forced to buy any of it.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,107Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

There's no way this compares to any Leica (the real ones, not the Leicasonics). Leicas are expensive, but you do get a real camera with real (nice) glass. This Hassy Luna is a very, very  bad joke. Dressing up a NEX 7, which is also a really nice camera, and charging five times as much for "luxury" is stupid.

NEX-7 is infinitely better camera than, say, Leica M9, so this styled camera will also be better.

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,298Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Not.

What? As a Swede, I am of course extremely proud of this truly path-breaking product. Just look at that exquisite design and I am sure there is lots of revolutionary wooden technology on the inside as well. Trust me. Worth every penny.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
I'm not angry....

....I'm sad. "Hasselblad" used to mean one thing. Now it means another. My stomach's a little queasy. I need to lie down.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
Fat Ugly!

Hey look it's a fat and ugly NEX dressed pretty. For some reason I think the REAL NEX should be the more expensive of the two. SAD... I bet they are going to sell hundreds of them. LOL

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Stupid things for people with too much money.
In reply to FoolyCooly, May 24, 2013
No text.
 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Mr Sellars
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?

Emperors new clothes. Laughable 

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to peevee1, May 24, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

NEX-7 is infinitely better camera than, say, Leica M9, so this styled camera will also be better.

sorry, can't agree with that one...

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads