Testing the new LED100WA-56 Light with Bowens Softbox Mount

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Bretal
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Testing the new LED100WA-56 Light with Bowens Softbox Mount
In reply to Tom Meeks, May 30, 2013

Thanks, Tom. Your reviews and tests are so important and helpful. I'm considering now for a 3 lights kit. Westcott also released a same one for $999:-(  For the price you found, it's worth to try.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Meeks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bretal, May 30, 2013

That was my reaction.  For the price it looked like worth taking a chance.  And, I'm about to up that by trying the 200W version that they are just now releasing.  But, this time, I am going to go for the addition of the $35.00 remote control that I missed on the initial orders.

Of course, we still don't have a clue as to how reliable they are over years and years,  But, sometimes you just have to make your best guess and take the plunge.

So far I know...

1)  The color very closely matches the strobes I use on a regular basis.  That's a big plus.

2)  The brightness of two 100WA lights is good for the Sony NEX VG20 and decent with the Canon 5D MK II at 800 ISO.   It's at least good enough for creating the videos for my blog and for documenting things I find with my Cube 3D printers.

What I still don't know....

1) The actual LUMENS... (Ordered a Lumen Meter today)

2)  How they work in a room with big windows letting in outdoor light...

3)  How much brighter the 200WA unit will actually be.

4)  Best modifier for a "hair Light"... Snoot,, Bare Reflector, Small Softbox, Small Strip Softbox.

5)  Whether it makes a difference if the softbox is lined with silver or white

6)  Can GOLD lined umbrellas be used to match heavily predominant incandscent lighting when needed?  (Have to do this in some conference rooms at times)

Tom Meeks's gear list:Tom Meeks's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Bretal
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

The only I have to say is "thanks" Looking forward to your more tests.

The seller is kindness and well communicate. I just ordered the 100wa daylight 3 lights kit. lol

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359
Like?

That is great

Should enough

The big question

4)  Best modifier for a "hair Light"... Snoot,, Bare Reflector, Small Softbox, Small Strip Softbox.

Any of that I like to use small softboxes for photo bare reflector is a bit too harsh but that depends on the model as well.

Generally the silver is stronger does reflect more light, I still don't understand why a wight inner surface is better???

6)  Can GOLD lined umbrellas be used to match heavily predominant incandscent lighting when needed?  (Have to do this in some conference rooms at times)

Well, no the gold is probably too strong, too yellowish. The best is if you can gel the flash...

jano

chkproductions
Contributing MemberPosts: 770
Like?

Tom Meeks wrote:

Remember when you measure the light's intensity to have it set at a known distance from light head to meter, usually 10 ft.  That creates a constant to work with.  So traditionally you'd know that if you halved your distance it would increase the lights intensity 2x, or doubled the distance which would cut the lights intensity in half.  So it would be good to know that when you do your test that your light was x distance away from your subject to get a usable or desired fstop.

This is the one I'm waiting for.

Results will be telling - specs vs. reality

Are you looking for the quality of light here or it intensity?

It will be interesting to see how much the gold will move it closer to the incandescent temperature but probably still need some CC gel for the light itself, but which then decreases the lights intensity - the ever present trade-off.

Look forward to seeing the results.  Great work.

Tom Meeks
Like?
In reply to rockjano, May 31, 2013

Silver vs. White softbox lining...

When I look directly at the softbox I see a flare running at a 45 degree angle that may or may not affect the light.  It probably doesn't.  But, I thought maybe a white lining might not create that artifact.

I don't think I see this artifact with the modeling lamps.  But, I'll be sure to check that this morning.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
chkproductions
Like?
In reply to Tom Meeks, Jun 11, 2013

Tom, any results from your tests?  I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Tom Meeks
Like?
Just took delivery of the LED-200WA-56 light
In reply to chkproductions, Jun 17, 2013

The LED 200WA-56 just arrived this afternoon.  But, I must be away until the weekend,  I promise to shoot something over the weekend for you.

I actually used the 100WA set for a shoot last week.  But, unfortunately, cannot show any of the images because the subjects were mentally challenged children at a special school.  The results were mixed because I had to shoot at an ISO of 3200 to get a reasonable depth of field.

However, we did shoot a short video that turned out very nice.  So, right now, I'm thinking that one needs at least one of the LED-200WA-56 lights in the setup.

I did turn it on and it DEFINITELY is brighter than the 100WA.

Stay tuned!

chkproductions
Like?
Re: Just took delivery of the LED-200WA-56 light
In reply to Tom Meeks, Jun 17, 2013

Tom - Thanks for the update and look forward to hearing more experience and opinions of these LEDs.  I just shot interiors yesterday and all I needed was a little boost of light to bring up the cabinets a bit.  I keep thinking these led's might be the way to go, so I appreciate your time and the info you've given.

Cheers

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359
Like?
Re: Just took delivery of the LED-200WA-56 light
In reply to Tom Meeks, Jun 19, 2013

Thanks Tom

I am very interested.

The 100W LED probably emits the same amount of light than a 500W tungsten.

So the 200W should do double I am interested if it is true

If you can somehow compare it to a halogen 500W-1000W bulb that would be very interesting.

This would be the first independent reliable test on  the net

Thanks and waiting for the result

rockjano

Tom Meeks wrote:

The LED 200WA-56 just arrived this afternoon. But, I must be away until the weekend, I promise to shoot something over the weekend for you.

I actually used the 100WA set for a shoot last week. But, unfortunately, cannot show any of the images because the subjects were mentally challenged children at a special school. The results were mixed because I had to shoot at an ISO of 3200 to get a reasonable depth of field.

However, we did shoot a short video that turned out very nice. So, right now, I'm thinking that one needs at least one of the LED-200WA-56 lights in the setup.

I did turn it on and it DEFINITELY is brighter than the 100WA.

Stay tuned!

Tom Meeks
Like?
Panasonic HC-X920 with LED 100WA-56 and LED 200WA-56
In reply to rockjano, Jun 26, 2013

My first test of my new Panasonic HC-X920 in all auto mode using LED lighting is now up.

Panasonic Test Video / LED Studio Lights

I'm pleased by the initial results.

Initial Observation for the Light Combination

There seems to be a very slight red bias; but, it's not as objectionable as the green bias with Daylight fluorescent lights.

The real benefit in the small room in which I work is that the lights run nice and cool!  Also, it's very nice to be able to independently control the brightness level from each light.  I did have a bit of a scare when the LED 200WA-56 went down after about 20 minutes of continuous operation.  Fortunately, it simply turned out to be a cable connection issue and was quickly back up and running by reattaching the cables.  It ran for hours without any further problems as I tested it for reliability over a long period of time.

Initial Observation for the Panasonic HC-X920

I have been an exclusive Sony and Ikegami user for more than 40 years.  So, making the move to the Panasonic took a lot of research.  It helped that I did NOT care much for the Sony NEX VG20 that I'd been using at work.  I'm VERY happy with the Camera.

While the Auto Settings used in the first test video didn't result in a perfect image (a little too bright and lower contrast than I'd like to see... ), it is perfect for the application for which I purchased it.  I've already used it for an event at work and will be perfect for my blog.

I REALLY appreciate the ability of the x920 to deal with lower light levels.  Having a Sony VCX2100 has spoiled me in this regard.  And, the Panasonic delivers an equally impressive low light level performance.

I expect a great deal more out of this camera when I start applying manual controls.

Sound options are minimal.   But, I can deal with those.  Great camera for my needs.

chkproductions
Like?
Re: Panasonic HC-X920 with LED 100WA-56 and LED 200WA-56
In reply to Tom Meeks, Jun 26, 2013

Tom - thanks for taking the time to post the video.  If I can ask, how far away were the lights from you?  And what is the meter you are using/  I get a feel of an over color cast when I look at your video but I can't tell if its magenta or cyan.  How do you feel about the color temp?

Now I'm interested in that 3-D printer...

Thanks again.

Tom Meeks
Like?
In reply to chkproductions, Jun 27, 2013

There is definitely a slight RED cast from the lights.  They were about 6 feet from me in 5' Octobox style softboxes with inner baffles.

Over all, I am pleased with the result, even with the RED overtones.  I have not tried a custom balance as of yet.  I will have another video ready by tomorrow evening.

The Panasonic HC-X920, for the price, is a fantastic camera.  I like the overall experience and result a LOT better than I do from my 5D MK II (tough to focus) and the Sony NEX VG20 that I've been using.  I'm not at all impressed by the Sony.  But, to be fair, I am not an expert at rendering settings that optimize the final product.

chkproductions
Like?
In reply to Tom Meeks, Jun 27, 2013

Tom - yes the detail in your camera looks great. The quality of the light is good.  I did find this on an amazon review of your camera if this is of any help:

By GadgeTron

This review is from: Panasonic HC-X920 3D Ready HD 3MOS Digital Camcorder with Wi-fi (black) (Camera)

Updating the review after more analysis. Its a great camera, and I'd give it 4 stars, however.. I'm going to keep at 3 stars so that panasonic understands it needs to work on its White Balance features and color accuracy. With the default settings and intelligent auto, there is a "cool tone" in the picture. Although this camera has the best sharpness, The Canon G20 and Sony CX760 both excel in color saturation/white balance.

Tom Meeks
Like?
In reply to chkproductions, Jun 27, 2013

I'll shoot the Panasonic and the Sony side-by-side today and see how they compare.  Thanks for passing on the review!

Tom Meeks
Like?
In reply to chkproductions, Jul 3, 2013

I purchased the LED100WA-56 and LED200WA-56 Lights to create tutorials for my 3D Printing blogs. For the same reason, I purchased the new Panasonic HC-X920. In my opinion, it's been an excellent combination for relatively low cost.

I have finally uploaded my first 3D printer video produced with this combination and I am very pleased. For those interested in a continuous lighting system for video, this is probably the first sample of the LED100WA-56/LED200WA-56 in a "Talking Head" situation.

My next video will focus on the Lumen output for the lights.

I'm VERY happy with the purchases and color casts do not appear to be a real issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3kT9WXd7co

chkproductions
Like?
In reply to Tom Meeks, Jul 3, 2013

Tom - the video looks really good.  The lights and camera seem to be perfect for an instructional video like you're doing.  The color balance is way better than the first you posted.  The detail in the image from the camera for its cost is really good.  And the lights give a nice even spread with a subtle bit of high lights on camera right.  Great it's working well.

Look forward to more, especially using the light(s) as fill against daylight in an interior.  But now you've got me interested in the 3D printer.  I wonder if a new forum should be created here for 3D printing??

Cheers

Tom Meeks
Like?
In reply to chkproductions, Jul 8, 2013

Yep!  Having a 3D Printer is fabulous! 

Setting up the test with windows is a little more challenging for me since my normal space is an interior room.  But, I promise to do so in the next week or so.'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads