Leica Mini M

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 16,984Gear list
Like?
The first image of Leica Mini M
In reply to Ray1684, May 24, 2013

The cousin of my neighbor's housekeeper happens to do some gardening work in Mr. Kaufman's castle!

This is the picture of the "Mini" Leica that very confidentially he sent to my neighbor's housekeeper!... But please everyone; keep it confidential till June the 11th!

According to them, the price would be somewhere between $12,000 and $15,000, without the neck strap!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Einst Stein
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
Re: 1.33x crop
In reply to Bryan Campbell, May 24, 2013

Bryan Campbell wrote:

Hopefully it's 1.33x crop like the M8 or even Full Frame.

1.5x and 1.6x crop are kind of boring, micro 4/3 wouldn't make sense to me if you consier the current Leica glass and the apertures...

28mm f/2 or f/2.8 lens with a 2x crop = 56mm equiv field of view... so if you want something closer to 28mm or 35mm with a theoretical Leica 4/3rds camera you are going to spend A LOT of money on lenses.

My take on the word mini is, it wont be full frame. and I dont think it will be another m8, that is, not another aps-c or aps-h body with interchangible lens. It will not be the x3 either. Not the fix lens aps-c with some upgraded sensor or movie or wifi.

After rule out all above, my guess is a aps-c senesor with build in fixed moderate zoom, adding all the modern movie, wifi, gps, etc.

NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
Re: Leica Mini M

At the moment all the M-lens users who can't afford to buy in to Leica digital Ms are bleeding off to ASPC NEX, Ricoh GXR M or even Fuji XE1.

A fullframe mirrorless M would retain a lot of that market, by virtue of the fact that the lenses are already fullframe.

Currently, there are more manufactuerers making APS-C mirrorless than DSLRs. Leica can steal a huge advantage over the crowd by offering a fullframe mirrorless.

Ray1684
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
In reply to NEXFULLFRAME, May 24, 2013

It'd be nice if they could get in a APSC RF with two fixed variants of their 35/50mm equivalent summilux lens.

Hope the hype will be worth it; either way, consumers probably won't be able to buy it until early 2014 by the looks of it.

NEXFULLFRAME
Like?

APSC RF has already been done in the RD1 and M8.

Alternatively I can go and buy an APSC mirrorless from SONY (Nex), Ricoh (GXR), Fuji (XE1), Nikon (Coolpix A), Canon (EOS-M), Samsung (NX), Pentax (K01).

What sets the M apart and makes it so desirable is fullframe.

Leica already has a great fullframe RF digital with the type-240. Mirrorless fullframe represents a brand new market for them.

The two key advantages Leica has to compete in this space is that they've already paid for and developed the sensor and they have the lenses.

JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578Gear list
Like?

A. All Leica M cameras are mirror less.

B. nobody that is an M shooter is being bled off anywhere.

C. The more plastic trash that comes along that will take M lenses sells more M lenses.

JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?
Maybe the long awaited Digital CL

Ever since the M8 was launched I and many others have desired something along the lines of the  Digital CL... maybe this will be as close as Leica will come to such a camera.  If the price point is good and of course the output, it might be the camera to bring me back to Leica.

Wait and see at this point.. but fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822
Like?

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

At the moment all the M-lens users who can't afford to buy in to Leica digital Ms are bleeding off to ASPC NEX, Ricoh GXR M or even Fuji XE1.

A fullframe mirrorless M would retain a lot of that market, by virtue of the fact that the lenses are already fullframe.

Currently, there are more manufactuerers making APS-C mirrorless than DSLRs. Leica can steal a huge advantage over the crowd by offering a fullframe mirrorless.

The upcoming NEX-9 is expected to be FF, will be able to accept M lenses via an adaptor, and so Leica should do something to respond to that camera, and better yet lead and announce one before Sony announces the NEX-9.

NEXFULLFRAME
Like?
In reply to JDLaing, May 24, 2013

JDLaing wrote:

Plenty of Leica RF users point to the mirror in the RF mechanism to distinguish the cameras from mirrorless. Logically it's a bit pedantic, but serves as a useful distinction given how different the focusing mechanisms are.

Well I've read plenty of accounts from people who have sold their M8s for GXR or NEX6 while using M lenses on them. Many want a modern RF digital but can't afford a $7k for a M240. More affordable mirrorless options give folks a way in to the system.

C. The more plastic trash that comes along that will take M lenses sells more M lenses.

You realize that using phrases like 'plastic trash' doesn't project an endearing image outside the Leica community don't you?

Moreover, isn't this the entire point of Leica also engaging the mirrorless market?

Keeping people within the Leica fold and selling more lenses.

JeffS7444
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
Compact M FF ILC EVF or I'm not interested!

If they won't, Sony will!

love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705
Like?

My guess is it will NOT be a MFT. They called the X2 the "micro m", which got an APS-C sensor. Assuming the Mini is bigger than micro, it should at least got an APS-C sensor. Realistically I would say the mini M is a FF camera.

1. It could be a FF compact with a fixed lens.

or

2. A mirrorless M without the RF and an optional EVF. Perhaps with lower res than the M240.

dogcow23
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to love_them_all, May 24, 2013

The problem with this new Mini M will be the price!!! it will be at least $4-5k.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,983
Like?
I have the FIRST leaked comparison image of the "Mini M"!!

Oh sorry, my bad, it's not the "Mini M" but the "Mine Me" (next to the full fledged version):

Dr Evil and Mini Me (of Austin Powers fame)

Excuse me but I really could not resist.

Whatever this product will be: I doubt whether the name will be a wise choice.

Really? Are we waiting for Mini-Anything?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
In reply to Spendthrift, May 24, 2013

Spendthrift wrote:

If one considers that Sony is supposedly coming out with a FF Nex, it would make sense that Leica tries to circumvent the exodus of Leica glass from Leica bodies by coming out with its own mirrorless, EVF only, less expensive FF body to retain or expand its user base.

Evan

True...and they could make scale savings if they use their current FF sensor. Si I guess this is the most "long term" vision they should have.

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
leica hg
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

exactly

earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to Spendthrift, May 24, 2013

Spendthrift wrote:

If one considers that Sony is supposedly coming out with a FF Nex, it would make sense that Leica tries to circumvent the exodus of Leica glass from Leica bodies by coming out with its own mirrorless, EVF only, less expensive FF body to retain or expand its user base.

Evan

not sure this argument holds up entirely. if leica glass is the pillar of leica's profit and that's all they care about, then the more glass they sell (whether for leica bodies or not), the better off they are. i doubt that's leica's vision of itself - at least based on what's happened over the past year or two.

Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 1,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe the long awaited Digital CL
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, May 24, 2013

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Ever since the M8 was launched I and many others have desired something along the lines of the  Digital CL... maybe this will be as close as Leica will come to such a camera.  If the price point is good and of course the output, it might be the camera to bring me back to Leica.

Wait and see at this point.. but fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

A digital CL - wouldn't that be something? (Especially if they re-issued updated versions of the wonderful Summicron-C and Elmar-C lenses to go with it.)

J.

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
zenfr2009
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?

Something better and not bigger than RX1 will be OK for me.

zenfr2009's gear list:zenfr2009's gear list
Leica X1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,951
Like?
In reply to JDLaing, May 24, 2013

JDLaing wrote:

The last point is the important one. Even if sales of Leica camera bodies dwindle to nothing, Leitz can still sell lenses. They are in a similar position to Zeiss, except that they need do nothing new as the M mount lenses already work on M 4/3, E mount, etc.

And indeed Leitz is already licensing lens technology to Panasonic.

Hasselblad, on the other hand, have nothing to offer in the future, as they make neither lenses nor sensors.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,951
Like?
In reply to earful, May 24, 2013

earful wrote:

Spendthrift wrote:

Evan

not sure this argument holds up entirely. if leica glass is the pillar of leica's profit and that's all they care about, then the more glass they sell (whether for leica bodies or not), the better off they are. i doubt that's leica's vision of itself - at least based on what's happened over the past year or two.

What will happen is that E mount users will buy more used Leica lenses (both M and screw mount). This will drive up the prices of used lenses, and make it more likely that Leica camera owners would buy a new lens rather than a used one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads