Leica Mini M

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Ray1684
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
Leica Mini M
May 23, 2013

http://us.leica-camera.com/news/new_products/Mini%20M/

Just noticed this post from Leica, comments?

Joel Pimenta
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: Leica Mini M
In reply to Ray1684, May 23, 2013

Curious...
A smaller M?
Crop factor? Or full frame?
Competition to Sony RX1?
Digital version of Minilux or CM?
New film camera?

The price?

So many questions...
Let's wait and see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray1684
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to Joel Pimenta, May 23, 2013

No harm in making guesses and innocent speculations

My guess is that it will be Micro Four Thirds as Leica Camera AG has been part of the consortium for quite some time now. Also the use of "Micro" in the name could be a playful tease by Leica.

It will likely be based on the upcoming Panasonic GX2 body as Leica has often picked up Panasonic bodies in the past before to re-badge/modify to their own liking. I don't believe Leica will provide an all new design if they are indeed joining M43 and they have a relatively small R&D.

Guessing the release of this M43 camera will also include a Leica only badged 25mm f/1.4 with premium lens design compared to the current plastic-like Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4.

boarderphreak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789
Like?
Details

It will supposedly be made in Germany and not be another re-branded Panasonic.  A new category, fitting in between the existing M and X cameras:

Leica Teases an Upcoming Mini M

-- hide signature --
docvale
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?

My expectations are either a fixed lens camera, to compete against Sony RX1 and Fuji X100S, or an ILC.

In the latter case, the most natural thing (based on the recent tradition) would be to re-brand a top-of-the-line Panasonic M4/3. Though, since they say it's gonna be a Made in Germany product, it might not be the case.

Whether M4/3 or APS-C, they'll have to release an original line of lens. I'd be curious whether they'd be AF or fully MF.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Details
In reply to boarderphreak, May 23, 2013

I think it will be an APSC sized sensor and "dumbed" down features of the M 240.  It has to be less than the M-E which is still going to be around. It should be a body that can still help sells the L glass.  I don't think it will be m43 or a fixed lens FF.  I'm just guessing, no insider contacts whatsoever.

What I personally would like (what a dream) is a simpler M 240, still FF, same sensor, less features, and cost less than M-E -- I know that will never happen of course, just dreamin'.

boarderphreak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789
Like?
In reply to g2van, May 23, 2013

Absolutely; it will most certainly be a much scaled back "M."  And it might just look like one for that matter.

-- hide signature --
Bryan Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
1.33x crop

Hopefully it's 1.33x crop like the M8 or even Full Frame.

1.5x and 1.6x crop are kind of boring, micro 4/3 wouldn't make sense to me if you consier the current Leica glass and the apertures...

28mm f/2 or f/2.8 lens with a 2x crop = 56mm equiv field of view... so if you want something closer to 28mm or 35mm with a theoretical Leica 4/3rds camera you are going to spend A LOT of money on lenses.

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064
Like?
New Leica
In reply to Bryan Campbell, May 23, 2013

Old News.

Spendthrift
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?

If one considers that Sony is supposedly coming out with a FF Nex, it would make sense that Leica tries to circumvent the exodus of Leica glass from Leica bodies by coming out with its own mirrorless, EVF only, less expensive FF body to retain or expand its user base.

Evan

Spendthrift's gear list:Spendthrift's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
Re: New Leica
In reply to ehazera, May 23, 2013

That picture is from 2011 and "just a concept created by a designer and is not related in any way to Leica Camera AG."

http://leicarumors.com/2011/03/03/detailed-renderings-of-the-leica-mirrorless-aps-c-camera-concept.aspx/

BSweeney
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?

They could do a full-frame mirrorless camera that uses the M-Mount and does not have the RF/optical viewfinder.

OR They could do a Digital Leica CL. I can dream.

BSweeney's gear list:BSweeney's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Leica M9 Olympus PEN E-P2 +5 more
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,985
Like?
In reply to BSweeney, May 23, 2013

BSweeney wrote:

They could do a full-frame mirrorless camera that uses the M-Mount and does not have the RF/optical viewfinder.

OR They could do a Digital Leica CL. I can dream.

that makes sense  as it would save a huge bundle of dough. I wonder if that is what we will get and if so will it have the evf built in.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

leica hg
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, May 23, 2013

Considering all the contruction work going on in Wetzlar (new headquarter, plant etc.), Dr. Kaufmann's plans and believes that Leica will also be around in the future. This means there must be a higher volume product that is not doomed to be a collectors item like the M is in the long run.

Hopefully, the new camera is a fully manual-M-lens compatible full frame body just without rangefinder, but with the option also to use, yet to be developed, auto focus lenses. This product could provide them some volume and would boost, short and long term, M lens sales, since it would hook up new customer groups to the system. Best use the same sensor as in the current M, since this would also provide some volume regarding the sensor production.

I see this as the only chance for a bright long term future for Leica. With the introduction of the digital M (ranging back to the M8) Leica has just bought time to reinvent themselves as a reasonable manufacturer of high end cameras. Before that (and before Dr. Kaufmann buying Leica) they were basically bankrupt.

If the don't take the chance to introduce a product line that gives them a long term perspective, they will , sooner or later, degenerate again to a life-style product manufacturer as they already have been during their "Hermés era".

If the new camera were APS-C or even m43 it would certainly not be able to compete with the great products manufactured by Olympus, Sony or Panasonic. At least not having in mind the gross margins that a small German based camera manufacturer needs to be profitable.

Leo33
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?

My prediction is that everything concerning the camera design will be "mini" except the price! I guess I will have to take out a second mortgage.
Leo33

Leo33's gear list:Leo33's gear list
Fujifilm XF1
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,985
Like?
In reply to Leo33, May 23, 2013

Leo33 wrote:

My prediction is that everything concerning the camera design will be "mini" except the price! I guess I will have to take out a second mortgage.
Leo33

with leica an price mini is not in thier vocabulary hehehhe your so right

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to Leo33, May 23, 2013

Leo33 wrote:

Leo33

wouldn't that make it a mini mortgage - in both senses of the word?

earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to boarderphreak, May 23, 2013

boarderphreak wrote:

Absolutely; it will most certainly be a much scaled back "M."  And it might just look like one for that matter.

-- hide signature --

what about a ff mini monochrom with a fixed 50mm f2 lens, no rangefinder mechanism, but an optional electronic evf like the rx1? maybe priced at $4k. add autofocus to that and even i might scrape up a way to buy one. (yes, i made the move from an m9 to an rx1 partly because of ff + autofocus. still haven't sold the m9, though.)

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,185
Like?

Ray1684 wrote:

http://us.leica-camera.com/news/new_products/Mini%20M/

Just noticed this post from Leica, comments?

I Hope DPreview is right and it is a FF camera without the rangefinder.

Being Leica I suspect it will be beyond what I am prepared to pay for a camera but it is exactly what I want.

It may well be done to get in ahead of sony to stop Leica lenses going elsewhere but equally, if it IS what I think, it is a camera that will allow people to cherry pick the best lenses from any maker.     Meaning great lenses maybe cheaper than Leica (and maybe not).

A good set of 3 or 4 lenses that can be use on this FF, but also on  mirrorless smaller formats right down to a Pentax Q will be a lot of fun.

Leo33
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to earful, May 24, 2013

earful wrote:

Leo33 wrote:

Leo33

wouldn't that make it a mini mortgage - in both senses of the word?

With the high prices coming out of Sohms these days and since the  "Mini" will probably be manufactured in Germany, I'm afraid my mortgage will have to be a "Maxi". :)))

Leo33's gear list:Leo33's gear list
Fujifilm XF1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads