When size matters (D800 pixel count)

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,415Gear list
Like?
Re: When size matters (D800 pixel count)
In reply to romfordbluenose, May 23, 2013

romfordbluenose wrote:

CraigBennett wrote:

dantastical wrote:

I suppose it depends what type of photography you do - if youre a birder then cropping might be important, although frankly if you cant afford lenses to give the reach you want then the d7100 will do better than cropping on the d800.

Personally I generally shoot landscapes so cropping is not important, and I'll often do panos anyway so my d600 is as good IQ wise as anything except d3x.

It is very important for event photographers.  I easily get two distinct photographs from one now using the D800e.  Never could do that with the Fuji S2 Pro, Nikon D1x, D2x, and D90.

Bottom line, we are blessed with some recent cameras...D600, D4, D7100, D800, etc.  All have features that were unheard of just a few years ago.  It's a shame we feel a need to bash one over the other.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

I think the D7100, D600 and D800 are all great cameras. I just chose the D800 for reasons which are personal to me. There's no reason to knock any of them at all.

Sensible post. Something lacking in many of the attention seeking threads and posts that we endure here.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 23, 2013

No answers, so by my calculations if a person crops 60% it will produce a good print at 250 pixels per inch for a print of 8" X 12".  The idea of showing images on the internet at 100% means little to me.  I can use a lower pixel sensor camera and do the same.

Yes a well focused image can be cropped using the 250 pixels per inch as a guide for printing different size prints.

See, I answered my own question haha!!!  I think?

Larry

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 23, 2013

All those wonderful extra pixels are free.    The D800 costs no more than any other good camera!

jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, May 24, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

dantastical wrote:

I suppose it depends what type of photography you do - if youre a birder then cropping might be important, although frankly if you cant afford lenses to give the reach you want then the d7100 will do better than cropping on the d800.

I would say nay to that.  The D800e cropped a bit smokes the D7100 for clean and sharp, with a lot less noise and way fewer artifacts to deal with, especially as you get up over ISO 400 or so.  The D7100 is only really good at very low ISO.

In my experience, you also lose much of the IQ advantage that allows the croppability of the D800E once you get much above ISO 400-800.  I have a D800E and a D4 and once the ISO needs to start ticking up above those levels, I find the D4 to be a much better camera - but at ISO 100, the D800E is unmatched (and is quite good to ISO 6400 as long as you don't need to crop).

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Rex In Brazoria
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
In reply to jjnik, May 24, 2013

I love the images that have been coming out of my D800. If I have to worry about large files taking up storage space, I shouldn't have bought the camera. Storage is cheap compared to the cost of the camera and I don't mind buying another 1T storage drive when I have to.

Rex In Brazoria's gear list:Rex In Brazoria's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +4 more
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534
Like?
In reply to Vettori, May 24, 2013

Without the massive croppability, I would have lost my arm getting this shot.

Oh, wait. I don't have a D800...

Guess I got lucky.

Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
In reply to digitalman4242, May 24, 2013

digitalman4242 wrote:

Nice.  But is it worth paying for and having your files be huge? How often will most people use a crop like that?  Most people would rather have a few less megapixels and a little more low light/high iso capability.

You don't get better high iso. I have both the d600 and the final iso performance is about the same with the same size image.

File sizeis fine to me. Definitely doable with current memory cards hard drives and computers. The next round of sixe upgrades for those will make the issue trivial.

Franglais91
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?

I never used to crop before but I found I quickly got into the habit with the D800.

I also use DX mode for some subjects like aircraft in flight. I find that the D800 in DX mode is at least as good as my D300, with an extra 4MPix

Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
Vettori
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

digitalman4242 wrote:

Nice.  But is it worth paying for and having your files be huge? How often will most people use a crop like that?  Most people would rather have a few less megapixels and a little more low light/high iso capability.

This crop of the squirrel is just an example, I'll never crop that much and print (maybe for the web it's still good).

However it frequently happens that I crop 50% or more when I do macro shots since part of the frame is 'consumed' by the min focus distance. And I still get around 15-20Mpx !

File size isn't a problem unless you have an old computer; drive space is cheap and if your computer has enough ram file size is not an issue.

Vettori
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 24, 2013

69chevy wrote:

Without the massive croppability, I would have lost my arm getting this shot.

Oh, wait. I don't have a D800...

Guess I got lucky.

Either this is stuffed or you were not using a 105, correct ? 

IainD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?
In reply to Franglais91, May 24, 2013

I agree with the OP.

I don't mind the file size at all, and I love the ability to crop with the D800.

I also think it is good in low light but I have a D3s so I can have both if I want!!:-D

IainD

akustykmagmanetpl
Contributing MemberPosts: 607Gear list
Like?
$2700 camera to deliver poststamp picture...

an achievement? not to me, sorray...

notwithstanding capabilities of D800, but this example wouldn't be a good selling point for this camera...

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Vettori
Like?

Another (more interesting) crop example (full frame is resized, crop is 100%). From 36Mpx to 5Mpx.

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,503Gear list
Like?

What size of a high quality print could you get out of this?  Looks good on a computer, but in a print of reasonable size, say an 8 X 12?

Larry

Vettori
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 24, 2013

larrywilson wrote:

What size of a high quality print could you get out of this?  Looks good on a computer, but in a print of reasonable size, say an 8 X 12?

Larry

At 300dpi (typical resolution for printed photos) you can go a little more than 6x9.

canyoube
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 24, 2013

If we are comparing the D800 cropability with the D700, then the side length pixel ratio is 1.73.

This means that you can crop by that factor more with the D800.  For the same number of pixels on a bird, say, a 200mm lens on the D800 will be equivalent to a 346mm lens on the D700.

There is nothing magical here, simple physics but nonetheless, quite a step up in the amount of cropping possible.

canyoube's gear list:canyoube's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658
Like?

digitalman4242 wrote:

+1

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

Vettori wrote:

Look at this crop, I was using the 105 micro when this little guy caught my attention. The time to grab the 70-200 and it vanished.

It's nice to have such a crop capability, what do you think ?

Maybe nice to have - but in this situation a D7100 (or even D5200) with the same lens would have got you even more.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,226Gear list
Like?
sometimes it does not
In reply to Vettori, May 25, 2013

There is nothing in this shot that you could not have gotten with the D700 and upsizing. The smallest detail is several pixels large and the noise and the weird artifacts ruin the crop.

Which does not mean the higher pixel count is not good for cropping - it is, but this is a poor evidence of that.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
InspectorHud
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Re: sometimes it does not
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, May 25, 2013

This is a little different twist for making good use of a D800 cropped.  I shoot commercial/ corporate and occasionally some corporate events.  I thought my D800 would be the worst body for an event however, it has become my first choice.  I use a 24 - 70 in DX mode which works for just fine for about 90% of what I'm doing and files are a good size and not overkill.  If suddenly someone needs a large group photographed or I need a wide view of something, I switch to FX which is much faster than changing lenses not to mention those extra pixels that I get for all those additional faces.  I love this system and I'm considering another D800 to replace my D3.  There was a time when I thought I would never need DX mode, but I'm very glad I have it now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads