When size matters (D800 pixel count)

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Vettori
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
When size matters (D800 pixel count)
May 23, 2013

Look at this crop, I was using the 105 micro when this little guy caught my attention. The time to grab the 70-200 and it vanished.

It's nice to have such a crop capability, what do you think ?

digitalman4242
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464
Like?
Re: When size matters (D800 pixel count)
In reply to Vettori, May 23, 2013

Nice.  But is it worth paying for and having your files be huge? How often will most people use a crop like that?  Most people would rather have a few less megapixels and a little more low light/high iso capability.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark den Hartog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,594
Like?
In reply to digitalman4242, May 23, 2013

Most people would rather have a few less megapixels and a little more low light/high iso capability.

?? not me.. I am not most people,.. but are you? 

afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?

digitalman4242 wrote:

Nice.  But is it worth paying for and having your files be huge? How often will most people use a crop like that?  Most people would rather have a few less megapixels and a little more low light/high iso capability.

I don't know about most people, but I rather have the ability to crop and high DR sensor with superior ability to lift shadows at base iso.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
canyoube
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark den Hartog, May 23, 2013

I must agree with the OP.  I have been amazed at the quality of D800 crops, they are really useable.

Here is the full frame:

Full frame shot on D800

And here is the crop version:

100% crop

I think that this is really great when shooting small garden birds.

canyoube's gear list:canyoube's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +13 more
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005Gear list
Like?
Re: When technique matters...
In reply to canyoube, May 23, 2013

Yes the ability to crop on the D800 can be very useful. Add that to how much you can get from a D800 raw file.

The key however is how well you managed the shot, IMHO. The D800 will reward good technique, and punish bad. Well, if not punish, just withhold its full potential. Particularly on focus blur.

I have been using a D600 for a few weeks now, looking to down size. While the D600 raw files are excellent, and they are a little more forgiving on shake, there is more pp range from D800 Raw. One thing I have found is D600 raw files is I can get more from them using Nikon software first, the adobe. With my D800, acr works great.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

Wow, that's a beautiful shot (and crop)!

In fact, the possibility of cropping like that it's the only thing I miss on my D700. The D800 is great for nature shots like that, macro and astrophotography.

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?

digitalman4242 wrote:

I strongly disagree. I find the ability to crop heavily with the D800 worth every bit of the cost of storage. Look at the detail in the OP's second post. You can't do that with "less megapixels". It essentially extends the long end of any lens, making possible shots that were heretofore impossible without a longer lens.

As for low light/high ISO capability, what are you comparing it with? I can auto focus in low light in a consistent manner I only dreamed of before. The noise at ISO 4000 is easily taken care of in PP with no apparent loss of detail, again only a dream before. I have seen posted shots at ISO6400 that are very detailed.

One other benefit not talked a lot about but huge in my workflow is the minimal amount of PP necessary with this camera. It's metering and DR abilities make it easy to get the image I want in all types of shooting environments.

I shoot 14bit lossless compressed and my raw files average 42-48 Mbs per image which does take storage space and has changed my criteria for what to keep and what not to keep. I used to count on technical reasons for a good amount of my culling but that has changed drastically because so large a percentage of this camera's images are technically good. Now it's just more of a "what do I like" scenario. A god problem to have in my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
erezitz
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jose Rocha, May 23, 2013

The ability to crop with the D800 is fanstastic. I was also a bit sceptical at the beginning but it is very useful in many situations and people who think they usually don´t need 36MP forget that you can allways subtract (in camera or after shooting) but you can never add Pixels!!!

Here´s a simple example, shot from really far away (where the public sits) with a 70-200 and cropped:

Santiago Bernabeu

erezitz's gear list:erezitz's gear list
Nikon D800
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?

digitalman4242 wrote:

How much more lowlight/high ISO capability does the D600 have compared to the D800?

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,036Gear list
Like?

It is very handy to be able to crop out 7/8ths of the frame and still get a nice picture :^)

Cropped!

shaunly
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?

digitalman4242 wrote:

It call a D600 and D4. Even then, those camera are barely 1/2 stop better at handling noise over 6400ISO.

Do your research again, the D800 has the best IQ up to 6400ISO.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/shaunly

Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?
In reply to shaunly, May 23, 2013

shaunly wrote:

digitalman4242 wrote:

It call a D600 and D4. Even then, those camera are barely 1/2 stop better at handling noise over 6400ISO.

When I look at DxO Mark, I see no difference at all between the D600 and D800 when viewed at the same size (i.e., using the "Print" tab).

dantastical
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

I suppose it depends what type of photography you do - if youre a birder then cropping might be important, although frankly if you cant afford lenses to give the reach you want then the d7100 will do better than cropping on the d800.

Personally I generally shoot landscapes so cropping is not important, and I'll often do panos anyway so my d600 is as good IQ wise as anything except d3x.

Geomaticsman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?

canyoube wrote:

I must agree with the OP.  I have been amazed at the quality of D800 crops, they are really useable.

I think that this is really great when shooting small garden birds.

+1 to that...

...and for birds that are far away...

As shot:

Cropped:

Nikon D800 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR ,TC14EII 1/3200s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso400

The "cropability" of new high-density sensors has diffused my desire for uber-long primes such as the 800mm.

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to dantastical, May 23, 2013

dantastical wrote:

I suppose it depends what type of photography you do - if youre a birder then cropping might be important, although frankly if you cant afford lenses to give the reach you want then the d7100 will do better than cropping on the d800.

Personally I generally shoot landscapes so cropping is not important, and I'll often do panos anyway so my d600 is as good IQ wise as anything except d3x.

It is very important for event photographers.  I easily get two distinct photographs from one now using the D800e.  Never could do that with the Fuji S2 Pro, Nikon D1x, D2x, and D90.

Bottom line, we are blessed with some recent cameras...D600, D4, D7100, D800, etc.  All have features that were unheard of just a few years ago.  It's a shame we feel a need to bash one over the other.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to dantastical, May 23, 2013

dantastical wrote:

I would say nay to that.  The D800e cropped a bit smokes the D7100 for clean and sharp, with a lot less noise and way fewer artifacts to deal with, especially as you get up over ISO 400 or so.  The D7100 is only really good at very low ISO.

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
In reply to CraigBennett, May 23, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

dantastical wrote:

It is very important for event photographers.  I easily get two distinct photographs from one now using the D800e.  Never could do that with the Fuji S2 Pro, Nikon D1x, D2x, and D90.

Bottom line, we are blessed with some recent cameras...D600, D4, D7100, D800, etc.  All have features that were unheard of just a few years ago.  It's a shame we feel a need to bash one over the other.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

I think the D7100, D600 and D800 are all great cameras. I just chose the D800 for reasons which are personal to me. There's no reason to knock any of them at all.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,131
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, May 23, 2013

We are talking about  heavy cropping and getting a good image.  Is this a good image when displaying the image on the internet or computer or a good printed image?  Using the rule of thumb that we need about 250 pixels per inch for a high quality print, what does this equate out to how much can a person crop to maintain a good printable image with the d800?

Larry

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,131
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 23, 2013

I meant how much can a person crop to get a good image (250 pixels per inch) for say an 8 X 12 print?

Larry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads