Firmware upgrade causes AF slow down on 18-55!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,367Gear list
Like?
I see no change I can measure, but XF35F1.4 did change for me (n/t)
In reply to svx94, May 24, 2013
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,686
Like?
Re: Fuji's instructions really byte.
In reply to Carlos C, May 24, 2013

Carlos C wrote:

Photoreddi,

Thanks so much for the explanation; it makes sense to me. Appreciate the tike you took to share it.

Carlos C

You're welcome. It would be nice if Fuji made their instructions clearer but it could be much worse. Ask any Samsung owner about how confusing the firmware upgrade process can be.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
Re: Firmware upgrade causes AF slow down on 18-55!
In reply to PeterPrism, May 24, 2013

PeterPrism wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

Some say AF is faster; some say it is slower. Fuji indicated the firmware was only for the 55-200 lens. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the focus speed is exactly the same as it was before.

It is very common on this forum that some people just see what they want to see, which leads to some ridiculous claims like "better than full frame".

Hey Randy but my Xpro1 is really better than a FF !!!

Agreed.

The fact that many full frame cam owners are preferring to deliver work done with Fuji X-Trans sensor rather than their full frame cams must be kept a secret, otherwise you'll have Randy jumping up and down blowing a valve or something!!

In the end some people will see only what they want to see.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to svx94, May 24, 2013

After upgrade the camera is still alive and working...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, May 24, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

PeterPrism wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

Some say AF is faster; some say it is slower. Fuji indicated the firmware was only for the 55-200 lens. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the focus speed is exactly the same as it was before.

It is very common on this forum that some people just see what they want to see, which leads to some ridiculous claims like "better than full frame".

Agreed.

The fact that many full frame cam owners are preferring to deliver work done with Fuji X-Trans sensor rather than their full frame cams must be kept a secret, otherwise you'll have Randy jumping up and down blowing a valve or something!!

I understand that sometimes APS-C is a better choice than FF. I also understand that sometimes a m4/3 camera is a better choice than APS-C. An Olympus EM5 can match the IQ of Fuji X-Trans in a 13"x19" print. But, I don't call one better than the other, they are just different. I understand the technology well enough to know that the current 16MP APS-C and m4/3 sensors produce about the same amount of resolution and noise if you shoot and process them correctly. I don't get wrapped up in one brand or model. You won't hear me repeating the tag line of my favorite company over and over and over.

I own many cameras, but right now my Fuji X-E1 is my favorite. I don't appreciate those who are overly negative about Fuji. I also don't appreciate those who are so enamored with their toys that they are oblivious to reality. My previous post was directed at both sides; those who claimed improvement and those who claimed the AF is slower. But, Billy could see only half of that. You don't have to worry about me blowing a valve, I understand that some here are emotionally invested in their cameras, but I save my emotions for people.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, May 24, 2013

Randy Benter wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

PeterPrism wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

Agreed.

I understand that sometimes APS-C is a better choice than FF. I also understand that sometimes a m4/3 camera is a better choice than APS-C. An Olympus EM5 can match the IQ of Fuji X-Trans in a 13"x19" print. But, I don't call one better than the other, they are just different. I understand the technology well enough to know that the current 16MP APS-C and m4/3 sensors produce about the same amount of resolution and noise if you shoot and process them correctly. I don't get wrapped up in one brand or model. You won't hear me repeating the tag line of my favorite company over and over and over.

I own many cameras, but right now my Fuji X-E1 is my favorite. I don't appreciate those who are overly negative about Fuji. I also don't appreciate those who are so enamored with their toys that they are oblivious to reality. My previous post was directed at both sides; those who claimed improvement and those who claimed the AF is slower. But, Billy could see only half of that. You don't have to worry about me blowing a valve, I understand that some here are emotionally invested in their cameras, but I save my emotions for people.

A clever reply!

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to ulrikem, May 24, 2013

Yes, agreed. Perhaps I was a little one-sided in my reply.

However, you can not dismiss the fact that no other non-full frame camera has ever generated such intense levels of direct comparisons with full frame image quality.

There is a reason for this which is very clear to many of us who have or are fortunate enough to see for ourselves why this is so.

Cheers

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
File size info from Fuji Support Team
In reply to photoreddi, May 24, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Travelshooter wrote:

that's the wrong size.  It says if it is not 36.5 download again.

It doesn't appear to be the wrong size. It seems that people are comparing the leading 3 digits of  Fuji's stated size (given in megabytes) with the leading 3 digits of what their browser reports, not realizing that their browser (or whatever app. they're using to check the sizes) is using bytes or kilobytes instead of Fuji's megabytes. If you look at one of your JPEG files that you know is exactly 3.00 mb in size and you're using an app. that shows sizes in bytes or kb, the most significant 3 digits will not be "300". It would be wrong to think that this means that the size has changed. What has changed are the units used to report the sizes.

Hope this clarifies the firmware file size topic. Many thanks to photoreddi for his insights which were right on. Before seeing photoreddi's reply I asked Fuji support the same question and this is their answer. By the way, I did use the 38.6 MB file size and the update completed as expected.

Fuji Support Answer:

Dear Carlos,  Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM North America Corporation. Please allow us to assist you. When downloading any firmware update from our website, the file size can be slightly larger then what is listed on the site. This is no indication that there is a problem. If you are getting file size 38.3MB, this is the correct file size and you may proceed with the firmware update.  We sincerely hope that this information has been beneficial to you. If you should have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.  It would be our pleasure to assist you again.  Thank you for your interest in FUJIFILM products and services.  Respectfully, Kelly, Imaging Support Team Contact Center FUJIFILM North American Corporation
 Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Just updatedw/ 18-55
In reply to Travelshooter, May 24, 2013

I guess that diffrences of behavior are due to differences in background contrast

I use dim part of my corridor with a very dull grey wall paper with very low contrast

It's a kind of torture test but it reveals differences between lenses best to worst : 18 35 90 18-55 at 55

In such conditions the 5D2 EOS locks without problem, not so fast as well with the 24-70mm 2.8

The problem at 55mm is the small 4 aperture that does reduce the light for contrast detect to work well

But this torture test is not a kind of pure academic one : very similar bto what you can find in bars and pubs, clubs, at night.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads