Firmware upgrade causes AF slow down on 18-55!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Firmware file size over 36.5MB
In reply to svx94, May 23, 2013

I have tried downloading the firmware update several times, but the file size ends up being 38.3MB instead of the 36.5MB told to be the size that must be used. I am using a Macbook Pro to download it. Have anyone have the same issues?

Instructions say the file must match the 36.5MB size or try down loading it again. No matter how many time I try, i get 38.3MB

Will appreciate any guidance that will assist with this issue.

Thanks

Carlos C.

Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?
My impression is opposite
In reply to svx94, May 23, 2013

After firmware upgrade of XE1 my 18-55 focuses faster.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Carlos C
Like?
Re: My impression is opposite
In reply to 1drey, May 23, 2013

Can you please tell me if the size of the firmware update file was exactly what Fuji said it should be (36.5MB)

For some reason my downloads are 38.3MB instead. I am worry to upgrade as it does not match Fuji requirements.

Carlos C.

Thanks

AB8ND
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: Firmware upgrade causes AF slow down on 18-55!
In reply to bigpigbig, May 23, 2013

Probably not, but it is good to keep FW up to date.

Jack

AB8ND's gear list:AB8ND's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 30D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,946Gear list
Like?

not a placebo effect ?? 

Did'nt find any change still lazy at 55mm in dim light

Nevre had a problem in bright light

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
1drey
Like?
In reply to Carlos C, May 23, 2013

Carlos,

My download is 36.5Mb as indicated at Fuji's site.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
1drey
Like?
In reply to baobob, May 23, 2013

Hard to say with 100% certainty

But I was trying to be objective. After noticing a news about firmware update and checking the forum I grabbed my XE1 with 18-55 and played with it in my room - pretty dimly lit at this time of the day (midnight local :)) . Same objects, same focusing distances, same angle - definitely faster and less hunting.

But I admit that it was a result of self-suggestion

Need to test it in real life conditions.

-- hide signature --

Moscow VR blog - http://1drey.wordpress.com

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,946Gear list
Like?

My worry now is the mediocre performance in low light of the zoom at 55mm f 4, really worse than the 60mm 2.4, same at 3.5mm with zoom compared to 35mm 1.4

Which means that restricting a bit light results in slowing AF speed

So what will happen at 200mm f 4.8 ?? The answer will be in July with the next announced FW

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,169
Like?
Fuji's instructions really byte.
In reply to Carlos C, May 23, 2013

Carlos C wrote:

I have tried downloading the firmware update several times, but the file size ends up being 38.3MB instead of the 36.5MB told to be the size that must be used. I am using a Macbook Pro to download it. Have anyone have the same issues?

Instructions say the file must match the 36.5MB size or try down loading it again. No matter how many time I try, i get 38.3MB

The odds are pretty good that your download is ok. There's a difference between measuring in bytes, kilobytes and megabytes. 1kb is 1,024 bytes, not 1,000 bytes, and 1mb is 1024 kb, not 1,000 kb. If you divide 38,300,000 bytes by 1,024 you get 37,402.3434...kb. Divide this again by 1,024 and you get 36.52mb. It's not exactly 36.5, but that's probably due to imprecision of the stated sizes not just by you but by Fuji as well. It's extremely unlikely that 38.3 or 36.5 are the precise sizes of the actual file in bytes and megabytes and too much of a coincidence that 38.3 / 1.024 / 1.024 is so close to 36.5, which is why I think that your downloaded file is ok.

Fuji should provide the precise sizes of their firmware files so that it would be possible to tell if the downloads are off by even a single byte, but not all Fuji owners are going to be familiar enough with geek talk to know how to compare sizes accurately, and this is made more difficult because different users will use different apps to check the sizes, and not all apps report sizes using the same units.

Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?

Mine is 37,378 on a windows 7 pc.

Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
photoreddi
Like?
In reply to Photo-Wiz, May 23, 2013

Photo-Wiz wrote:

Mine is 37,378 on a windows 7 pc.

Based on the file sizes mentioned in my previous post in this thread it appears that your downloaded file is also the correct size, but it's stated in kilobytes, not bytes or megabytes.

Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
Re: Just updatedw/ 18-55
In reply to baobob, May 23, 2013

Dim or bright, 18 or 55 or in between, focus lock is close to instantaneous on mine.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoreddi, May 23, 2013

that's the wrong size.  It says if it is not 36.5 download again.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
In reply to svx94, May 24, 2013

is there any reason to upgrade if we don't have the new lens?

Carlos C
Like?
Re: Fuji's instructions really byte.
In reply to photoreddi, May 24, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Carlos C wrote:

The odds are pretty good that your download is ok. There's a difference between measuring in bytes, kilobytes and megabytes. 1kb is 1,024 bytes, not 1,000 bytes, and 1mb is 1024 kb, not 1,000 kb. If you divide 38,300,000 bytes by 1,024 you get 37,402.3434...kb. Divide this again by 1,024 and you get 36.52mb. It's not exactly 36.5, but that's probably due to imprecision of the stated sizes not just by you but by Fuji as well. It's extremely unlikely that 38.3 or 36.5 are the precise sizes of the actual file in bytes and megabytes and too much of a coincidence that 38.3 / 1.024 / 1.024 is so close to 36.5, which is why I think that your downloaded file is ok.

Fuji should provide the precise sizes of their firmware files so that it would be possible to tell if the downloads are off by even a single byte, but not all Fuji owners are going to be familiar enough with geek talk to know how to compare sizes accurately, and this is made more difficult because different users will use different apps to check the sizes, and not all apps report sizes using the same units.

Photoreddi,

Thanks so much for the explanation; it makes sense to me. Appreciate the tike you took to share it.

Carlos C

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to fluxism, May 24, 2013

I have upgraded to this new Firmware and I swear blind the AF is faster with my 18-55mm.

Very difficult to quantify this as I didn't find the AF speed lacking previously but it seems slightly faster for sure. I am very happy.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Carlos C
Like?
Re: Fuji's instructions really byte.
In reply to photoreddi, May 24, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Carlos C wrote:

PS. I updated the firmware with the file reading 38.5MB with no issues. Photoreddi's explanation proved to be correct in my book. Thanks Photoreddi!!!

Carlos C.

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, May 24, 2013

Some say AF is faster; some say it is slower. Fuji indicated the firmware was only for the 55-200 lens. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the focus speed is exactly the same as it was before.

It is very common on this forum that some people just see what they want to see, which leads to some ridiculous claims like "better than full frame".

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +33 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, May 24, 2013

Randy Benter wrote:

Some say AF is faster; some say it is slower. Fuji indicated the firmware was only for the 55-200 lens. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the focus speed is exactly the same as it was before.

It is very common on this forum that some people just see what they want to see, which leads to some ridiculous claims like "better than full frame".

Hey Randy but my Xpro1 is really better than a FF !!!

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
photoreddi
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, May 24, 2013

Travelshooter wrote:

that's the wrong size.  It says if it is not 36.5 download again.

It doesn't appear to be the wrong size. It seems that people are comparing the leading 3 digits of  Fuji's stated size (given in megabytes) with the leading 3 digits of what their browser reports, not realizing that their browser (or whatever app. they're using to check the sizes) is using bytes or kilobytes instead of Fuji's megabytes. If you look at one of your JPEG files that you know is exactly 3.00 mb in size and you're using an app. that shows sizes in bytes or kb, the most significant 3 digits will not be "300". It would be wrong to think that this means that the size has changed. What has changed are the units used to report the sizes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads