Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I buy a NEX?
In reply to GaryR60, May 23, 2013

GaryR60 wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

I have been shooting DSLRs for many years and I have been strongly considering getting a NEX for portability and casual family outings. I normally shoot wildlife, macros and landscapes. I have questions though about how easy it is to get good focus using just the LCD. The deal on the F3 at B&H right now is very tempting but I wonder if I would regret not moving up to the NEX 6 with the viewfinder. I shoot most of the time with a Sony A65 and though I can use the LCD to shoot I almost always use the EVF. What are do some of you experienced NEX shooters think?

In most cases, I've had little trouble with focus in outdoor photography. If there is glare on the screen and I can't see what I'm getting, switching to AF usually solves the problem. There's a reason and a use for all the controls.

While flimsy, an occasional use of an lcd hood helps reduce or eliminate glare issue.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryR60, May 23, 2013

I got an F3 used for rather cheap as a travel backup to my DSLR and within a month ended up selling the DSLR. While it still had some advantages like a faster autofocus and availability of great fast standard range zooms, I just could not bring myself to take it with me anywhere after getting a Nex.

I ended up ordering EVF from Amazon for $230, supposed to be here next week. If I started from scratch as opposed to buying a used camera on the whim, I would most likely still have ended with F3 + EVF as opposed to 6. It's still cheaper, with same IQ, so the question is do you want to pay an extra $300 for composite PDAF , hot shoe, mode dial and ISO100. Either way it's a good choice.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
cwtbone
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
In reply to Amamba, May 23, 2013

You have all given me food for thought. I just have to decide how much money I want to spend. I wish it didn't always have to be the $ and I could buy things without sweating.

cwtbone's gear list:cwtbone's gear list
Sony a6000
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, May 24, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

I have been shooting DSLRs for many years and I have been strongly considering getting a NEX for portability and casual family outings. I normally shoot wildlife, macros and landscapes. I have questions though about how easy it is to get good focus using just the LCD.

You can zoom in, if you're using manual focus or DMF mode, and that really helps.  That in combination with peaking makes it possible to manually focus reasonably well.  I still get fewer keepers than AF most of the time, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

As far as the image, I think the Nex-6 and some other models might have a better LCD, but it's going to be hard to know for sure that something is in sharp focus by looking at the LCD or even EVF (without zoom-assist).

The deal on the F3 at B&H right now is very tempting but I wonder if I would regret not moving up to the NEX 6 with the viewfinder. I shoot most of the time with a Sony A65 and though I can use the LCD to shoot I almost always use the EVF. What are do some of you experienced NEX shooters think?

I've used the LCD for nearly 3 years with the Nex-5, so I didn't miss the EVF too much.  Occasionally I realize I could really use an EVF, usually when it's bright outside and washes out the LCD.

In most cases, I've had little trouble with focus in outdoor photography. If there is glare on the screen and I can't see what I'm getting, switching to AF usually solves the problem. There's a reason and a use for all the controls.

There was one time where I had to use DMF mode to manually focus through a fence, but the sun was so bright, it was hard to tell what I was doing.  Of course, one photo out of thousands isn't much of a compelling reason to spend $250 for an EVF.    There are some other times where I really could have used an EVF.  There's one that I recall where I really missed part of my subject (chopped in half) because I couldn't see the screen well enough; I was in the bright sun that day.  Sometimes the LCD was fine (it compensates to a large extent), but sometimes it just wasn't enough.

While flimsy, an occasional use of an lcd hood helps reduce or eliminate glare issue.

It can help, and it is flimsy.  (I have one of these too.)  The hardest thing is remembering to take it.

I also got one of the "V4" hood magnifiers, and that is not bad; kind of a poor-man's EVF.  Too bulky for most use, but if you know you're going to be in the sun and bulk isn't a concern, consider this....

So, most of the time I don't need an EVF and the LCD is fine (even preferred), but sometimes an EVF would be better, and there are ways to mitigate problems if you just can't get the EVF on your Nex.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?
Get the NEX-6!
In reply to cwtbone, May 24, 2013

cwtbone wrote:

I have been shooting DSLRs for many years and I have been strongly considering getting a NEX for portability and casual family outings.

That's the way I use mine. Plus vacation trips.

What are do some of you experienced NEX shooters think?

Even with the a77, but especially with the NEX-6 I find the LCD to be more useful than I ever thought it would be, and I use it more than I ever thought I would, but I just couldn't get along without the EVF. It's not about ease or accuracy of focus or anything technical, it's just "normal" to have a camera stuck in my face. By the time you pay the VISA bill you won't even remember how much  extra the 6 cost, but you'll hate the 3 every time you use it.

Don't let this be you

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
ThomasFromBavaria
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

There is another reason for getting the NEX 6 instead of the lower models - its the hotshoe. The 6 is currently the only NEX with the new ISO-compatible multi-purpose hotshoe (like A99). The NEX 7 stucks on the old propetieary Minolta hotshoe (but still way better than the toy-hotshoe of NEX 3/5 series). And I think and I hope, the old Minolta hotshoe will die over the time and will be entirely replaced by the new one.

I currently own the NEX 5 (orignal) and I am waiting for a successor model similar NEX 6 with the new hotshoe AND a 3.5mm microphone audio-jack AND touchscreen for selective autofocusing.

pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?

cwtbone wrote:

I have been shooting DSLRs for many years and I have been strongly considering getting a NEX for portability and casual family outings. I normally shoot wildlife, macros and landscapes. I have questions though about how easy it is to get good focus using just the LCD. The deal on the F3 at B&H right now is very tempting but I wonder if I would regret not moving up to the NEX 6 with the viewfinder. I shoot most of the time with a Sony A65 and though I can use the LCD to shoot I almost always use the EVF. What are do some of you experienced NEX shooters think?

I used a Canon DSLR when i got my NEX-7. I considered NEX-5N and NEX-7 and one of the main points why i chose the NEX-7 was the built-in EVF. In addition i did not feel comfortable with the grip of the NEX-5N. For me it turned out to be the right decision since i almost never work with the LCD.

I believe this is personal preference. If you think you will work with the EVF most of the time i would get a NEX with built-in EVF.

I mostly shoot landscape, people and macros. I love manual focus or manual focus override in combination with focus peaking. I do have to say that the NEX really is best for small lenses. Right now such lenses are available for focal length between 10mm and 60mm (well .. Sony has a light 55-210 and they have an 18-200mm that is not exactly small). I have a manual 90mm macro lens that still feels right on the Nex. But a 80-200mm f4 Canon FD lens - though a great lens - feels a little out of place on the NEX.

Still - i have the NEX a little more then a year and i have not touched my DSLR since then.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Get the NEX-6!
In reply to Ray Maines, May 24, 2013

Ray Maines wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

I have been shooting DSLRs for many years and I have been strongly considering getting a NEX for portability and casual family outings.

Even with the a77, but especially with the NEX-6 I find the LCD to be more useful than I ever thought it would be, and I use it more than I ever thought I would, but I just couldn't get along without the EVF. It's not about ease or accuracy of focus or anything technical, it's just "normal" to have a camera stuck in my face. By the time you pay the VISA bill you won't even remember how much  extra the 6 cost, but you'll hate the 3 every time you use it.

Don't let this be you

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

How can you knock shooting with an LCD instead of an EVF? Every pro I've ever seen shoots with his/her camera held precisely like this!

Not.

I agree 100%. To me, shooting off an LCD simply adds a better sensor and lens on iPhone-ography. If that's what you want, or all you can afford, that's one thing. But better to sacrifice an extra lens and shoot with the a kit lens on an NEX-6 or NEX-7.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

Why not get an NEX-6 and have both the LCD and an EVF?

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, May 24, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

Why not get an NEX-6 and have both the LCD and an EVF?

I would prefer that for self, but having it as an option can allow for a more compact size (or not buy it and save the cost). There are other differences as well (touch screen on 5R and better UI on 6).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, May 24, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

Ray Maines wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

Don't let this be you

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

How can you knock shooting with an LCD instead of an EVF? Every pro I've ever seen shoots with his/her camera held precisely like this!

Not.

I agree 100%. To me, shooting off an LCD simply adds a better sensor and lens on iPhone-ography. If that's what you want, or all you can afford, that's one thing. But better to sacrifice an extra lens and shoot with the a kit lens on an NEX-6 or NEX-7.

I would not buy a camera without an articulating LCD, much less one without it. It a significant advantage to be able to use either per convenience than be tied down to just one style. I got a head start on this advantage nearly ten years ago (Sony F828).

Jonn Quest
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?

I'm a casual shooter who moved from DSLR to a NEX 6.  I'm writing this without reading any of the other responses.  I am finding that the NEX is not all that much more portable than a DSLR.  I'll get flamed for this but it's my opinion.  More importantly I'm finding having to fight with the auto focus a PIA.

The RX100, now that's more portable.

GaryR60
Contributing MemberPosts: 655
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

Yep. I just use my left hand and hold the camera with my right, although it's harder to do with the 55-210mm on the camera.  

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to Jonn Quest, May 24, 2013

Jonn Quest wrote:

I'm a casual shooter who moved from DSLR to a NEX 6.  I'm writing this without reading any of the other responses.  I am finding that the NEX is not all that much more portable than a DSLR.  I'll get flamed for this but it's my opinion.  More importantly I'm finding having to fight with the auto focus a PIA.

The RX100, now that's more portable.

I use a DSLR (DSLT) and a NEX together most of the time. NEX's size allows me to do that with greater effectiveness even with A-mount lenses on it. Sure, it isn't going to beat a P&S or small sensor fixed/collapsing lens cameras like RX100, but it helps save reasonable amount of size and weight, and without compromising IQ and flexibilities we expect of DSLR/DSLT.

And when I carry one camera, it is usually NEX.

rusticus
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?

buy any camera without a viewfinder? Never!

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
chp
chp
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, May 24, 2013

yes, this picture is to remind people that LCD can make glasses owner's life miserable...

chp
chp
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to pede59, May 24, 2013

i am watching the nex-6 as well

I can see the value of the tiltable screen and ovf.

I am hesitating on that one for the lack of stabilisation, and wonder what to think about the lenses. Not very convinced by their portfolio.

What lens are you guys usually  using it with ? the motorised 16-50  ?

lkv11
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, May 25, 2013

Ray Maines wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

Don't let this be you

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

That used to be me, before I got the NEX 6 :). Now I'm styling and looking like a pro shooting through the viewfinder.

cwtbone
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
In reply to lkv11, May 25, 2013

I just don't think I can do without an EVF. Sometimes I have the viewfinder jammed up against my eye for stabilizing the camera. Mostly when i'm using focus peaking.

cwtbone's gear list:cwtbone's gear list
Sony a6000
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,878Gear list
Like?
No .........
In reply to cwtbone, May 25, 2013

Your wife is right , get the 70-400mm !

-- hide signature --

Keith C