Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148Gear list
Like?
Re: Departing from the prevailing winds of hysteria, a forum commentary
In reply to Lance B, May 25, 2013

I have not lamented anything, rather marvelled at the effort that you have put into making sure that you are shouting louder than everybody else, and wondered what might drive such a reaction.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

Nice snaps, but not money makers. You also seem to have wandered into the wrong thread.

Well, if I was shooting teddy bears in the studio I might agree w you, be well poser

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

I have not lamented anything, rather marvelled at the effort that you have put into making sure that you are shouting louder than everybody else, and wondered what might drive such a reaction.

LOL. But you're still here doing the same thing.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daisy AU, May 25, 2013

Daisy AU wrote:

SubPrime wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Each to their own ... I, for one, appreciated MisterHairy's real life comparison and don't see it as an attention seeking (or whatever else you called it) thread.

What real life comparison?  How can you appreciate it when he has provided no record of it apart from heresay?

Read the whole thread ... Again, why is my view so important to you that you take the time to be argumentative?  Where are the swings, monkey-bars, slides ... I feel like I'm in a kids playground!

LOL. And yet you have been partaking in it. Oh, but wait, you're not really here, you're above all that.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?

Lance B wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

SubPrime wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Each to their own ... I, for one, appreciated MisterHairy's real life comparison and don't see it as an attention seeking (or whatever else you called it) thread.

What real life comparison?  How can you appreciate it when he has provided no record of it apart from heresay?

Read the whole thread ... Again, why is my view so important to you that you take the time to be argumentative?  Where are the swings, monkey-bars, slides ... I feel like I'm in a kids playground!

LOL. And yet you have been partaking in it. Oh, but wait, you're not really here, you're above all that.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

OMG !!!  I wasn't responding to you ... but, just so you stop bothering me .. YOU ARE RIGHT, LANCE B of Sydney!

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,864Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daisy AU, May 25, 2013

Such a silly thread.

In spite of the claims the major problem here is the lens snobs. I know them well.

BOTH of the lenses are excellent. I spent several days with both before choosing the 1.8G. I like it better, but I'm in no way threatened or worried about folks who like the 1.4G, any more than I fret over people who don't like my favorite color (it's green!).

What I see here are people who paid a LOT for a lens that generally has a optical difference that is quite small vs. the 1.8G version. Argue all you want, but these debates pop up again and again because the differences are THAT small.

List it any way you want...

The 1.4G has....better bokeh, better build, warmer rendition (Some prefer this)

The 1.8G has....better sharpness, lighter weight/size, cooler rendition (I find it absolutely more accurate)

These lenses can do the same kind of work in the same situations. Differences will be tiny. The sharpness advantage for the 1.8G will be SMALL. The Bokeh advantage for the 1.4G will be small. But I kept my Sigma 50mm 1.4 because it's bokeh is nicer than any other AF 50mm out there.

For the 85mm I usually (not always) liked the 1.8G results more often. So what? The 85mm 1.4 is great as well. I'd be happy with it and probably never notice the difference.

Price for me is not a factor. I own speaker cables that cost more than most people's camera systems here and how silly is that?!!? I buy what I prefer and the snobs can take a hike and shoot something, which they rarely do.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
MisterHairy
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, May 25, 2013

I believe that the appropriate acronym is QFT (I had to find out what it meant: Quoted For Truth)

Shotcents wrote:

Such a silly thread.

In spite of the claims the major problem here is the lens snobs. I know them well.

BOTH of the lenses are excellent. I spent several days with both before choosing the 1.8G. I like it better, but I'm in no way threatened or worried about folks who like the 1.4G, any more than I fret over people who don't like my favorite color (it's green!).

What I see here are people who paid a LOT for a lens that generally has a optical difference that is quite small vs. the 1.8G version. Argue all you want, but these debates pop up again and again because the differences are THAT small.

List it any way you want...

The 1.4G has....better bokeh, better build, warmer rendition (Some prefer this)

The 1.8G has....better sharpness, lighter weight/size, cooler rendition (I find it absolutely more accurate)

These lenses can do the same kind of work in the same situations. Differences will be tiny. The sharpness advantage for the 1.8G will be SMALL. The Bokeh advantage for the 1.4G will be small. But I kept my Sigma 50mm 1.4 because it's bokeh is nicer than any other AF 50mm out there.

For the 85mm I usually (not always) liked the 1.8G results more often. So what? The 85mm 1.4 is great as well. I'd be happy with it and probably never notice the difference.

Price for me is not a factor. I own speaker cables that cost more than most people's camera systems here and how silly is that?!!? I buy what I prefer and the snobs can take a hike and shoot something, which they rarely do.

Robert

Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
MisterHairy
Like?

Lance

Have you ever tried letting somebody else have the last word?

MisterHairy
Like?

Here's Lance with his Ever Ready need to have the final chirp.

sorry, son.

Lance B wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

LOL. But you're still here doing the same thing.

MisterHairy
Like?
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, May 25, 2013

How am I a poser (or do you mean "poseur"? I am no model)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads