Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions
SubPrime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

Lance.

Just what is it about a complete stranger making an assertion on a relatively insignificant internet forum that gets so far under your skin? Something has clearly got your back up to the point where you simply have to have the last word in the "conversation" and I sort of find it interesting, on a social level, what drives an individual to such an extreme reaction.

What's interesting is that you seem to be more interested in analyzing the responses you are getting from people than discussing the topic.  What is also amusing is that you claim to be short of time to provide examples to support your findings, but seem to have plenty of time at your disposal to discuss and analyze human behaviour.

It's almost as though I logged in and said: "This Lance chap doesn't know his a-hole from his f-stop", but I didn't. I declared that a lens was "not so hot".

No it's almost as if you said the Earth is flat and anyone who disagrees with me clearly has issues.

A lens.

Not your wife.

A lens.

So what you are suggesting is that you should be allowed to get away with making outlandish claims, that fly in the face of all evidence, so long as they are trivial?

Let it go. If I have made a mistake, then I shall be big enough to admit it. Please don't fill the thread up before I have the chance to.

OK.  So either you move on and stop being argumentative or apologize, and thank Lance for correcting you,  like a mature human being would do.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to SubPrime, May 25, 2013

SubPrime wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

And when you consider that, at least here in Australia, the 1.4 costs 3 times what the 1.8 costs, I cannot see the justification of paying US$1,400 more for creamy bokeh.  Just accept the fact that I do not agree with you.  Period!

Your opinion is your own, but the OP has not provided any evidence to support his claim.

Why do you care so much about what I think?  I have state my reasons and I had come to my own conclusions well before this thread started.  Reviews about these two lenses are all over the internet and opinions are divided.  If you read the whole thread, you will see that he did provide examples.

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to SubPrime, May 25, 2013

SubPrime wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Each to their own ... I, for one, appreciated MisterHairy's real life comparison and don't see it as an attention seeking (or whatever else you called it) thread.

What real life comparison?  How can you appreciate it when he has provided no record of it apart from heresay?

Read the whole thread ... Again, why is my view so important to you that you take the time to be argumentative?  Where are the swings, monkey-bars, slides ... I feel like I'm in a kids playground!

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,992Gear list
Like?
Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

Had a chance to compare an 85mm/1.4 G lens with our 1.8 G today, and had time to try a few mid-distance scenic shots as well as some studio portraits. Very interesting indeed. Interesting because the 1.8 fared better than the 1.4 in almost all circumstances.

Sharpness is a no-brainer. The cheaper lens simply slays the 1.4 all the way up to f/5.6 or 8. It's not even close for the first couple of stops. CA is also worse on the 1.4, and while the cheap lens vignettes a bit more, I personally don't mind that at all.

Much has been made of the superior blur characteristics of the 1.4 lens, but that is frankly hugely overblown. We had to really look to find anything that would lead us to favour the 1.4 over the 1.8 lems.

Frankly, we tried and tried to help the 1.4 lems to fare better than the 1.8, but the simple truth is that it just couldn't keep up. This was on a D800E, and we put a lot of effort into making sure that the 1.4 lens was focusing accurately. That raises another point; the 1.8 lens yields much more accurate and reliable AF, even wide open.

It seems that the various comparisons out there in internet land are on the money. Much to my surprise.

So there you have it. If you are looking for a sharp 85mm prime with good blur and a very pleasing drawing style, save your money and get the 1.8 G. It's actually the better lens.

-- hide signature --

HI!

I notice that you have the 50 1.4 and not the 1.8.

Applying some (not all) of the logic you have with the 85's, why did you opt for the 50 1.4G  instead of the 50 1.8G?

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 25, 2013

ThePaleRider wrote:

There is a strong consensus on the interwebz that the 1.4G lens is bettered by the 1.8G, so it looks asthough the OP is just finding out what many before him have also found.

That is so not what happened here. The OP did not merely state an opinion that matched any kind of consensus on the web. He went way overboard with a lot of hyperbole which could easily mislead a novice photographer.

Lance also was very strong in his desire to refute the hyperbole. He wasn't refuting which lens was better, but just the over statements and exaggerations. The misleading and misguided parts.

Moreover, once the comparisons were placed up, they more showed the opposite of what the OP contended. The OP finally admitted to the exaggerations. Personally, I appreciate the OP making this admission. We all sometimes exaggerate claims. It's pretty common. On the other hand, we need to consider what beginning photographers might believe. i.e. some kind of consensus.

Some few of us own both lenses and sometimes multiple copies. We knew better from the start.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to SubPrime, May 25, 2013

SubPrime wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

But have you personally tried and compared the 1.8 lens, Lance? It seems to me that it would be a little difficult to make any claims about the relative performance without having first hand experience.

But you are telling us we don't need to rely on that.  You made the claim that reviews are backing up your claim that the 1.8 slays the 1.4.  Then when Lance proved you wrong, you said, who cares about the charts, it's all about using them in the field.

Even if we were to take that argument seriously, you haven't even bothered to include any comparisons.

Also, I know that it's easy to fall into the trap of name calling, but I'd appreciate if you would try to show some restraint.

It's also easy to fall into the trap of hyperbole and outlandish claims.

I am neither slow nor ignorant, thank you, just curious and open minded enough to compare a couple of lenses and anecdotally share my results. Sorry that I touched a raw nerve.

You didn't touch a nerve, you are trolling and demonstrating a lack of intellect and method to your argument.  First you made an outlandish claim, which you have not only utterly failed to back up, but you even claimed was supported by a bunch of links which contradict your claims.

Then when you're called out on your false claims, you accuse your critics of being hyper sensitive.

You have no perspective, you're a troll.

Come on. The name calling is not needed and what gives these threads a bad name. Just because you believe he went over the top in his review of the two lenses, does not make him a troll. I agree with Lance that he did over-do it but he took a second look and admitted he might have exaggerated. I commend him for that. That certainly is not trollish.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to RBFresno, May 25, 2013

RBFresno wrote:

I notice that you have the 50 1.4 and not the 1.8.

Applying some (not all) of the logic you have with the 85's, why did you opt for the 50 1.4G  instead of the 50 1.8G?

RB

Damn RB, I got it backwards. I got the 85 f/1.4G and the 50 f/1.8G. I guess I messed up.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to Guidenet, May 25, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

I notice that you have the 50 1.4 and not the 1.8.

Applying some (not all) of the logic you have with the 85's, why did you opt for the 50 1.4G  instead of the 50 1.8G?

RB

Damn RB, I got it backwards. I got the 85 f/1.4G and the 50 f/1.8G. I guess I messed up.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to RBFresno, May 25, 2013

I bought the 50/1.4G as soon as it came out to replace an old 1.8AF (non D). The 1.8G had not been released then.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: So you admit you were talking rubbish when you claimed the 1.8 slayed the 1.4 at all apertures
In reply to SubPrime, May 25, 2013

Oops. There you go again with the "can't afford" shot. Is that all you have? As I mentioned, your beloved 1.4 lens is not an expensive choice, and would be my second cheapest lens, if I had gone for it over the 1.8. I can tell that it was a very expensive purchase for you though.

Performance and availability are important, and when I bought the 1.8, the 1.4 was as common as hen's teeth in the UK.

It's nice that you lap up the marketing so willingly. I am simply pointing out for others that there is another choice which can be, and often is, better than the emperor's new clothes.

 MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to SubPrime, May 25, 2013

image by "someecards.com". Not my own.

 MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 25, 2013

As did I. Almost the minute it came out as the AF/MF switching and spinning ring always bothered me.

Truth is, 50mm is no longer seeing much use from me as I have become both wider and longer. Lucky me.

ThePaleRider wrote:

I bought the 50/1.4G as soon as it came out to replace an old 1.8AF (non D). The 1.8G had not been released then.

 MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to SubPrime, May 25, 2013

No. It's as though I stated that Lapsang Souchong is clearly better than Assam and somebody organised a march to parliament (look it up) to protest.

It's a bit of plastic and glass. Not worth getting all het up about. Descending to the level of name calling, just because somebody disagrees with you is very telling. It's called dogmatism, and is not a positive trait to suffer from.

 MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Re: Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to Guidenet, May 25, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

I notice that you have the 50 1.4 and not the 1.8.

Applying some (not all) of the logic you have with the 85's, why did you opt for the 50 1.4G  instead of the 50 1.8G?

RB

Damn RB, I got it backwards. I got the 85 f/1.4G and the 50 f/1.8G. I guess I messed up.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Yes, in applying this rigid criteria, I appear to have chosen unwisely at all FL's as well.  The 851.8g (instead of the 1.4), 501.4g (instead of the 1.8), and 70-200 f/2.8 VRII (instead of the f/4 VR), 28g (instead of the 24g) and 24-85 VR (instead of the 24-120 VR) and no pro normal zoom (instead of the 24-70 - waiting for the next update cycle).  I will live with the ridicule and refuse to be persuaded by contrary supporting evidence, even if it is empirically proven that my choices defy logic or reason.

The 85 1.4 is the hardest of the bunch not to justify by performance alone, because of the flare resistance, focus speed and bokeh.  Relative sharpness is a small consolation for the 1.8 (but only because the relative value correlates so well to the nominal performance differential).  My choice in 85 1.8 lens was simply a value based consideration where, for me, the 1.8's value justifies the purchase price even if I would prefer the rendering of the 1.4 for the aforementioned flare resistance, af speed and bokeh (with the price and weight of the 1.8).  Few, if any reviews, seem to highlight this phenomenon with any degree of specificity.

I will not argue the merits of my choices by any other analysis than what lens in its respective FL, offers the best overall value for the price point that I am willing to pay.  Ideally, all my primes would be 1.4 and employ the latest AF-S VR, SIC and Nano coatings (without weight or cost considerations) and all my zooms would be 2.8's and also incorporate the latest AF-S, VR, SIC and Nano coatings (again without weight or cost consideration),  but that is a lot of expensive glass to carry.  Invariably, compromises in size, weight, portability and cost are inevitable.  Irrespective of the how much one is willing to spend, it is an exercise in discretion in choosing the lenses that best exemplify the shooter's vision with the alacrity to reveal the results in earnest, and warrant careful consideration.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

 Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Departing from the prevailing winds of hysteria, a forum commentary
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

I have read through the entire thread and was entertained by the banter and the convictions espoused by the various respondents,  This esoteric discussion however, has led to the an opinion that we are fast becoming insane in our endless pursuits for achieve our relative definition of perfection. So without further adieu:

To all - Please refrain from exacting any further hyperbolic generalizations and accept that, whatever universal lens supremacy is being proffered, thread participants are unwittingly caricaturized - if only by association - by further expounding the magnitude of performance (of lack thereof), visible only to, and appreciated only by, the same class of zealots that are intentionally marginalized by reference to the initial (intentional) spurious proclamation.

Precariously then, we tread, deeper into unchartered waters, unexplored by those who dare not follow, and the further we delve, the more departed we become, as we intentionally distance ourselves from the place we once were firmly grounded until we disappear into the abyss, with our vessels no longer appreciably viewed from the shore, whilst we bash our fellow travelers and feast or their vacuous remains.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

 Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Departing from the prevailing winds of hysteria, a forum commentary
In reply to Chad Gladstone, May 25, 2013

As right as you may be, I think that oftentimes, things are a lot simpler.

Some folks own trophy gear because owning it boosts their self esteem and cost is often the sole criterion used to qualify as a trophy. The close association between the item's perceivedvalue and the owner's sense of self worth promote a disproportionate level of discomfort when theactualvalue is brought into question. It is interpreted as a personal slight.

Chad Gladstone wrote:

I have read through the entire thread and was entertained by the banter and the convictions espoused by the various respondents,  This esoteric discussion however, has led to the an opinion that we are fast becoming insane in our endless pursuits for achieve our relative definition of perfection. So without further adieu:

To all - Please refrain from exacting any further hyperbolic generalizations and accept that, whatever universal lens supremacy is being proffered, thread participants are unwittingly caricaturized - if only by association - by further expounding the magnitude of performance (of lack thereof), visible only to, and appreciated only by, the same class of zealots that are intentionally marginalized by reference to the initial (intentional) spurious proclamation.

Precariously then, we tread, deeper into unchartered waters, unexplored by those who dare not follow, and the further we delve, the more departed we become, as we intentionally distance ourselves from the place we once were firmly grounded until we disappear into the abyss, with our vessels no longer appreciably viewed from the shore, whilst we bash our fellow travelers and feast or their vacuous remains.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

 MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Same logic with the 50 1.4 (vs 1.8)?
In reply to Chad Gladstone, May 25, 2013

Chad Gladstone wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

I notice that you have the 50 1.4 and not the 1.8.

Applying some (not all) of the logic you have with the 85's, why did you opt for the 50 1.4G  instead of the 50 1.8G?

RB

Damn RB, I got it backwards. I got the 85 f/1.4G and the 50 f/1.8G. I guess I messed up.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Yes, in applying this rigid criteria, I appear to have chosen unwisely at all FL's as well.  The 851.8g (instead of the 1.4), 501.4g (instead of the 1.8), and 70-200 f/2.8 VRII (instead of the f/4 VR), 28g (instead of the 24g) and 24-85 VR (instead of the 24-120 VR) and no pro normal zoom (instead of the 24-70 - waiting for the next update cycle).  I will live with the ridicule and refuse to be persuaded by contrary supporting evidence, even if it is empirically proven that my choices defy logic or reason.

The 85 1.4 is the hardest of the bunch not to justify by performance alone, because of the flare resistance, focus speed and bokeh.  Relative sharpness is a small consolation for the 1.8 (but only because the relative value correlates so well to the nominal performance differential).  My choice in 85 1.8 lens was simply a value based consideration where, for me, the 1.8's value justifies the purchase price even if I would prefer the rendering of the 1.4 for the aforementioned flare resistance, af speed and bokeh (with the price and weight of the 1.8).  Few, if any reviews, seem to highlight this phenomenon with any degree of specificity.

I will not argue the merits of my choices by any other analysis than what lens in its respective FL, offers the best overall value for the price point that I am willing to pay.  Ideally, all my primes would be 1.4 and employ the latest AF-S VR, SIC and Nano coatings (without weight or cost considerations) and all my zooms would be 2.8's and also incorporate the latest AF-S, VR, SIC and Nano coatings (again without weight or cost consideration),  but that is a lot of expensive glass to carry.  Invariably, compromises in size, weight, portability and cost are inevitable.  Irrespective of the how much one is willing to spend, it is an exercise in discretion in choosing the lenses that best exemplify the shooter's vision with the alacrity to reveal the results in earnest, and warrant careful consideration.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Chad, my friend, this reasoning for not buying heavy glass could all be ameliorated by the opening of a Rent a Sherpa location in your home town. I believe Bolder has one now.

Good investment, no?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Departing from the prevailing winds of hysteria, a forum commentary
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

As right as you may be, I think that oftentimes, things are a lot simpler.

Some folks own trophy gear because owning it boosts their self esteem and cost is often the sole criterion used to qualify as a trophy. The close association between the item's perceivedvalue and the owner's sense of self worth promote a disproportionate level of discomfort when theactualvalue is brought into question. It is interpreted as a personal slight.

That might be for you, but I own the 85 f1.4G because it is best for my purposes, not because it is a trophy.The 85 f1.8 is best for you and that is fine, I have no issue with that, and I have no issue with you thinking the 85 f1.8 is better, you are free take make a statement to that effect here. What I do have issue with is your over the top eggageration of why you have "proven" it to be better than the 85 f1.4G. It has nothing to do with "self worth" so in some feeble way to try to put me down because I dare question your incorrect judgement. You made an over the top call, I challenged you on it and you even admitted that you were over the top with that statement and now you want to try to save face by accusing me of needing these lense for self worth. Unbelieveable.

No, if I always wanted a "trophy" lens, I would keep my very expensive Nikon 35 f1.4G instead on the much cheaper, and in my eyes, better Sigma 35 f1.4.

You have lamented the fact that I have kept on to you like a dog with a bone, but it seems that you are actually the one to not let the bone go. So, it would seem that it is not I that is the one that needs to get a life, but you.

Chad Gladstone wrote:

I have read through the entire thread and was entertained by the banter and the convictions espoused by the various respondents,  This esoteric discussion however, has led to the an opinion that we are fast becoming insane in our endless pursuits for achieve our relative definition of perfection. So without further adieu:

To all - Please refrain from exacting any further hyperbolic generalizations and accept that, whatever universal lens supremacy is being proffered, thread participants are unwittingly caricaturized - if only by association - by further expounding the magnitude of performance (of lack thereof), visible only to, and appreciated only by, the same class of zealots that are intentionally marginalized by reference to the initial (intentional) spurious proclamation.

Precariously then, we tread, deeper into unchartered waters, unexplored by those who dare not follow, and the further we delve, the more departed we become, as we intentionally distance ourselves from the place we once were firmly grounded until we disappear into the abyss, with our vessels no longer appreciably viewed from the shore, whilst we bash our fellow travelers and feast or their vacuous remains.

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to MisterHairy, May 25, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

Had a chance to compare an 85mm/1.4 G lens with our 1.8 G today, and had time to try a few mid-distance scenic shots as well as some studio portraits. Very interesting indeed. Interesting because the 1.8 fared better than the 1.4 in almost all circumstances.

Sharpness is a no-brainer. The cheaper lens simply slays the 1.4 all the way up to f/5.6 or 8. It's not even close for the first couple of stops. CA is also worse on the 1.4, and while the cheap lens vignettes a bit more, I personally don't mind that at all.

Much has been made of the superior blur characteristics of the 1.4 lens, but that is frankly hugely overblown. We had to really look to find anything that would lead us to favour the 1.4 over the 1.8 lems.

Frankly, we tried and tried to help the 1.4 lems to fare better than the 1.8, but the simple truth is that it just couldn't keep up. This was on a D800E, and we put a lot of effort into making sure that the 1.4 lens was focusing accurately. That raises another point; the 1.8 lens yields much more accurate and reliable AF, even wide open.

It seems that the various comparisons out there in internet land are on the money. Much to my surprise.

So there you have it. If you are looking for a sharp 85mm prime with good blur and a very pleasing drawing style, save your money and get the 1.8 G. It's actually the better lens.

Thanks, but my 1.4D has paid for itself countless times over and I like results myself. Bitingly sharp subjects & dxo figures aren't my criteria for an attractive image for my purposes either, ymmv here. The only G lens I've kept (and I tried them all) is the 35 because it's optically worth keeping imo. however it's cheapo build quality and slow focus are disappointing at a staggering 17hun.

 Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, May 25, 2013

Nice snaps, but not money makers. You also seem to have wandered into the wrong thread.

 MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads