Did Nikon screw up?

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions
jacobwhite
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Did Nikon screw up?
May 22, 2013

Is it worth doing the switch and spending at least 10000 on camera and glass? Nikon seemed to be getting it right with the d700/d3 duo - but now I'm not so sure...

I'm thinking long term and it seems that Canon has been more reliable for professional needs over all...

Am I the only one feeling this way?
Am I wrong?

As a D700 user requiring an update, I somehow feel screwed...

1. Switch to Canon and buy a 5DIII (too expensive to switch; what to do with all that glass)? 
2. Buy a D800 - from what I can see it seems that compared to the 5D, the D800 seems comparable on paper - but unless I'm totally wrong it seems in reality its auto-focusing is slower, file sizes annoyingly huge at lesser image quality, in particular colours and noise, and slower.
3. Buy a D600, which is a step backwards in most things except the sensor, and size. It could almost work, if it wasn't for the ridiculous AF area - all crammed in the middle, whaaaat??? And its AF speed is sloooow!
4. Buy a D4, which is heavier, bulkier, and too expensive. I'd go for this option if it wasn't so bulky, if at least I could get it without the battery grip - I never got the use of the battery grip. Changing a battery isn't that much of a problem that it would mean that the grip absolutely needs to be built-in!

Somehow the D800 is a lesser camera than the D700 - as a D700 shooter I find myself stuck with unpleasing choices

jacobwhite's gear list:jacobwhite's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
landw
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: Did Nikon screw up?
In reply to jacobwhite, May 22, 2013

The D800's image quality is certainly not worse than the 5D's. You get a higher resolution and a much better dynamic range, cleaner shadows, more leeway in post processing.

The high ISO performance is very similar. You need to compare using the same output sizes.

So, yeah... I don't see the issue at all.

landw's gear list:landw's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce sawle
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
In reply to landw, May 22, 2013

You can't go wrong with either brand. It really comes down to preference. I shoot both d800 and 5d mk III each has there strengths and weakness in the end they both capture what I need.

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,072Gear list
Like?
Several things to consider

As a D700 user requiring an update, I somehow feel screwed...

Right now, what's the D700 not doing that you need? That's probably the most important thing to consider when looking for a new camera. If you can isolate the specific improvements or new features that you're looking for, the search will be far easier.

1. Switch to Canon and buy a 5DIII (too expensive to switch; what to do with all that glass)? 
2. Buy a D800 - from what I can see it seems that compared to the 5D, the D800 seems comparable on paper - but unless I'm totally wrong it seems in reality its auto-focusing is slower, file sizes annoyingly huge at lesser image quality, in particular colours and noise, and slower.

People have said that the D800's AF is fine. Big file sizes, yeah, but noise is up there with the 5D III up to ISO 6400 or so. Above that, you can still get pretty close with some post processing.

3. Buy a D600, which is a step backwards in most things except the sensor, and size. It could almost work, if it wasn't for the ridiculous AF area - all crammed in the middle, whaaaat??? And its AF speed is sloooow!

AF is definitely not slow. I have a D600, and use it to shoot sports all the time. The AF area is is a bit if a problem for off center compositions, but for action it's a non-issue (I usually don't even have all 39 points active when shooting sports. 9 pt, or 21 pt dynamic area if my tracking technique is really not working out, typically works best).

4. Buy a D4, which is heavier, bulkier, and too expensive. I'd go for this option if it wasn't so bulky, if at least I could get it without the battery grip - I never got the use of the battery grip. Changing a battery isn't that much of a problem that it would mean that the grip absolutely needs to be built-in!

Somehow the D800 is a lesser camera than the D700 - as a D700 shooter I find myself stuck with unpleasing choices

It's not a lesser camera. It's a camera designed for a different purpose. It beats the D700's image quality in every situation at the expense of speed (but not responsiveness), and brings in a few extra features like video recording.

And as a final note, the D600's AF is definitely not slow, even before the firmware update.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
shaunly
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?

You need to check your sources again. Not sure where you're getting these rubbish info.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/shaunly

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,429
Like?
Nikon's design is great. Service is the real problem

Both D600 & D800 are better in many ways than their Canon counterparts... especially for fine-art work... but the D600 has a serious contamination problem which Nikon seems loath to address,  This gives the edge to Canon on the service and support and quality areas... and these are VERY important!

narddogg81
Contributing MemberPosts: 973
Like?

this post is so full of fail its hard to know where to start

harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?

you are badly misinformed
the IQ of the D800 is far superior to the current canon FF range.

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Sony RX1R Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
bills_pix
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
In reply to harold1968, May 22, 2013

"As a D700 user requiring an update"

I find it hard to believe you have outgrown the capabilities of the D700.  I use mine as a complement to my D800 and the image quality from the D700 still amazes me.

-- hide signature --

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D700 Nikon D2X Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +8 more
Jane79
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?

The OP is not interested in photography but something completely different. Do not waste your time.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,140Gear list
Like?
Jake, you really screwed up.

Come on, man, stop your whining.

trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 967
Like?
Re: Nikon's design is great. Service is the real problem
In reply to leicaman, May 22, 2013

leicaman wrote:

Both D600 & D800 are better in many ways than their Canon counterparts... especially for fine-art work... but the D600 has a serious contamination problem which Nikon seems loath to address,  This gives the edge to Canon on the service and support and quality areas... and these are VERY important!

+2 Well put!

Silverstreaks
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?

>>>>>> lesser image quality, in particular colours and noise<<<<<<

D800 lesser image quality. Personally I think the D800 would be toooooo much camera for you.

Better if you stick with the D700 or even better switch to Canon

Silverstreaks's gear list:Silverstreaks's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
ScottnLaguna
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?

Interesting first post, Jacob. You may catch a few.

Darrelll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?

Troll...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Darrell

Darrelll's gear list:Darrelll's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon D200 Nikon D70
Scott Oberle
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
In reply to bills_pix, May 22, 2013

I would agree with those who support the D700. What can't it do that you need. I upgraded from the D700 to the D800 and am sorry. The D800 takes exceptional images if you need to either do large crops or make very, very large prints. But the D700 also takes exceptional images, and is not nearly as finicky when used...

-- hide signature --

Scott Oberle

Frozencpu
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to Scott Oberle, May 22, 2013

This guy with his D600 and D800 non sense I don't even think canon comes anywhere close to d800 in form of res and video. The OP should stick to point and shoot.

AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Agreed
In reply to Darrelll, May 23, 2013

One post and it's to complain that Nikon screwed up?

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,751Gear list
Like?
Trolling with your first post?
In reply to jacobwhite, May 23, 2013

Trying to stir up the storm, buddy? Got a troll assignment from somewhere?

I won't be surprised if your post is taken down pretty soon.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,482
Like?
In reply to jacobwhite, May 23, 2013

jacobwhite wrote:

Nikon seemed to be getting it right with the d700/d3 duo - but now I'm not so sure...

your intuition was correct - nikon did in fact screw it up with D700, all was corrected with D600 and D800.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40569236

D700 had a cult following, but outside that it was a commercial failure.

I'm thinking long term and it seems that Canon has been more reliable for professional needs over all...

100,000 clicks is more reliable than 200,000?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads