Performance 5D2 and 24-105mm/4.5 L

Started May 21, 2013 | Discussions
RuudLeeuw
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Performance 5D2 and 24-105mm/4.5 L
May 21, 2013

Hello, I am having doubts on sharpness of this comibination. Both were bought from previous owners: the 5D2 in 4-2012 and the lens some 5 years ago and has been put to good use on a 50D and a 7D. In crispyness I don't see much improvement between 50D and 5D2.

I use Photoshop CS5 to reduce the pics for use on my website and seem to have to use sharpening more than other previous cameras.

I don't have similar images to put them in comparison, that's the thing. And it works excellent in my streetphotography at almost complete darkness, e.g.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/trv-asia2013-phnompenh.htm

The range of lens and camera performance in general is for me a dream come true, but there seems a softness in the images when resizing them down to 844 - 1080px range.

I use CS5 (smart sharpening) and shoot mostly JPEG, not RAW.

Perhaps it has to do with the subject: crumbling temples in Cambodia, sandstone...

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/trv-asia2013-angkor02.htm

Anyone having the same feelings?

Thanks

Rudi

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?
Re: Performance 5D2 and 24-105mm/4.5 L
In reply to RuudLeeuw, May 21, 2013

Take a look at any noise reduction you are using including in-camera or RAW conversion. It seems like noise reduction always blurs fine detail. If you do noise reduction in a layer, you can turn it on and off to see the difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,030Gear list
Like?

I have the same combo and it's crispy sharp, even at F4. It's a great combination and all being well you should be getting the same kind of results. I don't shoot jpeg using the 5D2, only raw, and I only sharpen moderately in Lightroom, and often its not really necessary.

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,035Gear list
Like?

Are you talking about 24-105L/4.0 IS or 28-105/3.5-4.5 II (non-L, no 'IS')?

24-105L is pretty sharp (at least 2/3 vast area from center) on my 5D series cameras. If it's 24-105L, I will be surprised you don't see much difference between 50D and 5D2 or maybe you have a lemon copy.

Not even close between 50D and 5D2 with this zoom, 6 vs 12 p-mpix that roughly based on MTF 30 resolution.

DXOMark 50D vs 5D2 with 24-105L

I have few samples that all shoot with hand-held (tons of more) that just conveniently in my DPR gallery so sorry displaying in zillion times.   Please let me know if you don't think they are sharp.

Or pixel peeping at 5000 pixel level

5000-pixel wide with 24-105L

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
qianp2k
Like?

New member created today and very first post, hehe

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,569Gear list
Like?

It is generally recommended to do some minor sharpening when downsizing images (even when using fully processed TIFFs or JPGs as source). In CS5, I usually batch process using a script which re-sizes to 1200x800 (for web/email) and does a small amount of sharpening. Even fairly unsharp photos should look good at these small sizes.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Peter Humfryes
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
In reply to AOKH, May 22, 2013

When resizing in CS5, in 'image size' make sure you have 'Bicupic Sharper (best for reduction)' selected. This makes a big difference.

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,966Gear list
Like?
In reply to RuudLeeuw, May 22, 2013

From the provided link, I would say the photos are in line with what I get from my 24-105.

The photo of the 2 little girls standing by the rock opening with the OOF temple behind is soft but I think it is due to motion blurring.

The temples do feature intricate detail. Taking the most out of those is more a PP thing.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,966Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 22, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

New member created today and very first post, hehe

-- hide signature --

...and that's significant because...?

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to leroyvanhee, May 22, 2013

Sorry late reply - I was waiting to get an email to notify replies were posted and that did not happen (newbie). Anyway, will check but previous owner was bird watcher so wouldn't think it likely.

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, May 22, 2013

That was the reason I bought that 24-105 L lens in the first place as DXO tests showed sharpness even at open lens.

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 22, 2013

Absolutely.

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to AOKH, May 22, 2013

I actually sharpen in stages, downsizing in a script and each time sharpening a little. Even then I have to sharpen it yet again once or twice when I get down to the 855 pixel wide image.

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 22, 2013

Thanks for the reply and checking. Yes, with the girls could be motion blur as I shot it from the waist while walking and cropped it. I knew if I was going to stand still and take aim the girls would have been at me for dollars (I dont begrudge them the dollars but I try not to encourage children begging).

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to Peter Humfryes, May 22, 2013

Ok thanks I did not realize that would make a big difference; will try, cheers.

RuudLeeuw
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 22, 2013

Perhaps because my reply wasn't immediate; I thought I had ticked the box for notifications but seems I forgot. Apologies for my tardiness.

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to RuudLeeuw, May 22, 2013

RuudLeeuw wrote:

I actually sharpen in stages, downsizing in a script and each time sharpening a little. Even then I have to sharpen it yet again once or twice when I get down to the 855 pixel wide image.

That sounds pretty complicated. I'd suggest you to give LR4 a try by downloading the trial version. I use LR4 by default which has easier interface from my perspective, and of course a database that you can find photos based on all key words' tags and meta data (any combination such as all photos from 70-200L/4.0 IS taken by 5D2 and in portrait and landscape...) so easily among 50K photos for example. I only use CS6 for retouching and still will check back into LR4 database. LR4 has two levels of sharpening - RAW level in Develop module, and in Export (screen or print) that similar to DPP Raw and JPEG sharpening levels. LR4 also supports batch processing naturally and easier.

Nevertheless 24-105L on all 5D series cameras is sharp. Do you use DPP that you should see? LR4 sharpening is only better with lots more other features.

-- hide signature --
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,808
Like?
In reply to RuudLeeuw, May 23, 2013

A few random comments.

- Yes, the 24-105 is a nice lens, and it can do a good job at times, but it really is sharper stopped down than at f/4.  There are many sites that show this.

- Technique matters.  The IS of the 24-105 helps, but you will get sharper shots using a tripod.  Don't expect too much from handheld shots.

- The 24-105 is convenient for travel, but it's not in the same class as the 24-70II, or 70-200 f/2.8 IS II.  I sold my 24-105 within days of getting my 24-70II.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to billythek, May 23, 2013

billythek wrote:

A few random comments.

- Yes, the 24-105 is a nice lens, and it can do a good job at times, but it really is sharper stopped down than at f/4.  There are many sites that show this.

Actually it's not bad at F4.0 wide open at least in center.  I have many photos can prove that.

- Technique matters.  The IS of the 24-105 helps, but you will get sharper shots using a tripod.  Don't expect too much from handheld shots.

All those photos (including that 5000-pixel wide) I demo above were taken hand-held and they are sharp

- The 24-105 is convenient for travel, but it's not in the same class as the 24-70II, or 70-200 f/2.8 IS II.  I sold my 24-105 within days of getting my 24-70II.

Sure these two F2.8 zoom that I also own are noticeably better. 24-105L is not bad at all and actually pretty good. To be honest, if I stop down, I don't see a big difference especially in center between 24-105L and 24-70L II unless I view in big size or pixel peeping. I keep my 24-105L nevertheless as I spent another $200 last year to repair Err01 (Canon replaced the front part) so not worth to sell a 5.5 yrs old lens (since I purchased from 5D combo deal).

-- hide signature --

- Bill

-- hide signature --
HarryLally
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 23, 2013

I only recently bought the 24-105 to go to Oz/ NZ for a month. Wished I'd bought it years ago - it's such a versatile lens with wonderful colour and contrast. WA barrel distortion can be corrected easily  in PP and the IS is a real boon. It's a permanent fixture on my 5DII now for general photography. Not quite in the same class optically as the 24-70 II but much lighter and the longer reach makes it an ideal one-stop travel lens IMO.

HarryLally's gear list:HarryLally's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads