Telephoto lens once again... E-PL5

Started May 20, 2013 | Questions
anazeta
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Telephoto lens once again... E-PL5
May 20, 2013

Hi all, I am a complete novice at the m4/3 photography and having literally just upgraded from a simple point-and-shoot camera, I need some advice on the telephoto lens. I know there have been many questions and answers about it already, but I still cannot decide which of the lenses might best suit my needs.

I am currently considering the following:

Oly 14-150mm vs lumix 14-140mm

or Lumix 45-175mm

I like the idea of Lumix OIS as I haven't got very steady hands, but I have seen a few negative comments about the performance of Lumix lenses on Oly bodies (IQ/ CA issues). So here come the questions... Would this IQ/ CA issue pose a problem for a complete beginner or is it only noticeable to an experienced eye? Or does it simply make more sense for me to use Oly lenses just because I own an Oly body and it will be a better and more sensible 'marriage' in terms of performance and IQ? Would I even be able to spot any differences in IQ without prior experience with the interchangeable lens cameras?

If it helps, at the moment I shoot mainly during my travels (landscape and architecture more than people) and being an upgrader I do like the idea of 'big zooms' for occasional wildlife opportunities. I also always use prints of up to and including A4 size.

In terms of other lenses, I currently own just the 14-42mm kit lens and the Lumix 14mm pancake (couldn't resist it at £99), but I have also got my eyes set on the lumix 20mm pancake and once I have had a chance to learn more about the m4/3 photography and experiment with my camera's possibilities, I will look at buying olympus 60mm macro.

Any thoughts & recommendations anyone?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,638Gear list
Like?
Re: Telephoto lens once again... E-PL5
In reply to anazeta, May 21, 2013

anazeta wrote:

Hi all, I am a complete novice at the m4/3 photography and having literally just upgraded from a simple point-and-shoot camera, I need some advice on the telephoto lens. I know there have been many questions and answers about it already, but I still cannot decide which of the lenses might best suit my needs.

There's two Lumix 14-140mm lenses, one rather bigger and heavier than the Olympus 14-150mm and does give better quality results than the Olympus lens. Soon on sale will be the new Lumix 14-140mm lens which s smaller, lighter and cheaper. Unlknown at this stage is the image quality of this new lens.

or Lumix 45-175mm

I like the idea of Lumix

In this class is the Olympus 40-150mm, the Panasonic 45-150mm and 45-175mm and 45-200mm. The advantage of the Panasonic lens is that the E-PL5 can use the lens OIS whether it be switched or unswitched on the lens. This allows a stabilised preview which makes framing and focus easier at say 150mm.

OIS as I haven't got very steady hands, but I have seen a few negative comments about the performance of Lumix lenses on Oly bodies (IQ/ CA issues). So here come the questions... Would this IQ/ CA issue pose a problem for a complete beginner or is it only noticeable to an experienced eye? Or does it simply make more sense for me to use Oly lenses just because I own an Oly body and it will be a better and more sensible 'marriage' in terms of performance and IQ? Would I even be able to spot any differences in IQ without prior experience with the interchangeable lens cameras?

The CA issue is the usual overblown concern by the worry-warts here, it doesn't happen on all shots and if a problem with a treasured image then any good edit program can easily remove the effect.

If it helps, at the moment I shoot mainly during my travels (landscape and architecture more than people) and being an upgrader I do like the idea of 'big zooms' for occasional wildlife opportunities. I also always use prints of up to and including A4 size.

For travel the 14-150/140mm lenses make good sense as you are always ready for anything. For more careful work where you may have more time to prepare then the lesser range 40/45 to 150/175/200 zooms do give better results than the superzooms, and better again of course are individual primes, mainly because with primes the larger maximum aperture gives a better range of "good" apertures that are available to use.

In terms of other lenses, I currently own just the 14-42mm kit lens and the Lumix 14mm pancake (couldn't resist it at £99), but I have also got my eyes set on the lumix 20mm pancake and once I have had a chance to learn more about the m4/3 photography and experiment with my camera's possibilities, I will look at buying olympus 60mm macro.

For me I've settled on the Pana 14-45mm and 45-150mm for my E-PL5, along with the Oly 9-18mm as the OIS works better for me for the occasional video and particularly of course for the stabilised tele lens preview.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
anazeta
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, May 21, 2013

Thanks Guy - much appreciated. I think I will definitely go for one of the Lumix lenses. It's very re-assuring to 'hear' that the CA is not such a massive issue.

Guy Parsons wrote:

anazeta wrote:

There's two Lumix 14-140mm lenses, one rather bigger and heavier than the Olympus 14-150mm and does give better quality results than the Olympus lens. Soon on sale will be the new Lumix 14-140mm lens which s smaller, lighter and cheaper. Unlknown at this stage is the image quality of this new lens.

or Lumix 45-175mm

In this class is the Olympus 40-150mm, the Panasonic 45-150mm and 45-175mm and 45-200mm. The advantage of the Panasonic lens is that the E-PL5 can use the lens OIS whether it be switched or unswitched on the lens. This allows a stabilised preview which makes framing and focus easier at say 150mm.

I know about the other lenses, but I really like the compactness of 45-175mm and longer focal length. I haven't really considered 45-200mm, but perhaps it's worth doing so for yet longer focal length and a slightly lower price?

For travel the 14-150/140mm lenses make good sense as you are always ready for anything. For more careful work where you may have more time to prepare then the lesser range 40/45 to 150/175/200 zooms do give better results than the superzooms,

14-140mm definitely sounds like the better of the two (or three) options for what I need, but, still, should I really choose the convenience over IQ? I will have to think this through or just be less selfish and go for the 14-140mm (might wait to see what the reviews say about the new version, though), purely for my boyfriend's sake - he hates when I stop every 5 mins to take pictures so having to wait for me to change the lens as well as take a picture wouldn't appeal to him much.

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,036Gear list
Like?

anazeta wrote:

14-140mm definitely sounds like the better of the two (or three) options for what I need, but, still, should I really choose the convenience over IQ? I will have to think this through or just be less selfish and go for the 14-140mm (might wait to see what the reviews say about the new version, though), purely for my boyfriend's sake - he hates when I stop every 5 mins to take pictures so having to wait for me to change the lens as well as take a picture wouldn't appeal to him much.

I have the older, heavier 14-140mm, and I use it quite a lot, actually.  I have both the Oly 40-150mm and the Panasonic 45-150mm, and I just never use them...if you want convenience with very good IQ the 14-140mm is really the way to go.

Currently I am waiting to see if the new 14-140mm is even better than my version, and if it is, I will definitely trade my old one in for it as the lighter weight is quite appealing.  Panasonic did such a good job, though, with the old one, that I will be really pleased if they managed to make the new one even better.

I'd definitely get the 14-140mm....and you can have harmony in the house as well as a great lens for all around

-J

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, May 21, 2013

To repeat, Jeff Tokayer kindly passed on this review in another thread. I found it somewhat cryptic, and had difficulty interpreting the graphs because of my lack of capacity to read the graphs. It also commented on a comparison between the old and new lenses but I could not find the comparative data. Don't think there is any.

F.

Review here.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Guy Parsons
Like?
In reply to jalywol, May 21, 2013

Like J. I am waiting on the new Pany 14-140mm to see if better or worse than the Oly 14-150mm which I do have already. I do really like having the OIS working with the E-PL5 for long tele and miss that when I use the 14-150mm.

The 14 to 140/150 tele lenses do lose a little on image quality and may need to choose working apertures more carefully to get best results. But the convenience of having one lens to "do it all" makes life so easy, especially when partners etc are wanting to move on from a spot.

So I do have both the 14-150mm and the 14-45 plus 45-150 and pack the bag to suit the occasion. Quick holiday or slow careful photography.

Regards...... Guy

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686Gear list
Like?

If I were you, I'd opt for the m.Zuiko 40-150.
It's light-weight, really cheap and provides an outstanding IQ - not only for the money it costs. And there's an additional advantage: Should you plan to use the C-AF, all the Panny lenses - eben the 45-175 that is blinding fast in SAF - are virtually useless.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
anazeta
Like?
Grinding noise while zooming in/out lumix 45-175mm?
In reply to anazeta, May 26, 2013

First of all, thanks everyone for all the comments. When I have finally made a decision to wait for the new Lumix 14-140mm, my boyfriend kindly ordered 45-175mm for me, so I will give it a go... It had only just arrived and the first thing that I have noticed is a disconcerting noise while using the zoom. It's not OIS rattling noise described previously, it's more of a grinding noise when the lens is mounted and the camera on. Here's a link to what I mean (poor quality as it has been quickly recornod on a tablet)

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/_anazeta_/media/IMG_0155.mp4.html

Has anyone else experienced similar noise with this or any other lens? Should I worry about it and return the lens as faulty or is it quite normal?

shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

anazeta wrote:

or Lumix 45-175mm

I like the idea of Lumix OIS as I haven't got very steady hands, but I have seen a few negative comments about the performance of Lumix lenses on Oly bodies (IQ/ CA issues). So here come the questions... Would this IQ/ CA issue pose a problem for a complete beginner or is it only noticeable to an experienced eye? Or does it simply make more sense for me to use Oly lenses just because I own an Oly body and it will be a better and more sensible 'marriage' in terms of performance and IQ? Would I even be able to spot any differences in IQ without prior experience with the interchangeable lens cameras?

14-140/150 are 10x travel zooms which are much heavier/bulkier than a 3x zoom lens. For the versatility you also trade off image quality.

for the Panasonic zooms 45-150 and 45-175 X PZ are good choices. The 45-175 is a power zoom lens which means you either love it or hate it.

Considering you ahve the EPL5, you can buy the cheaper Oly 40-150 and just use IBIS?

Guy Parsons
Like?
Re: Grinding noise while zooming in/out lumix 45-175mm?

anazeta wrote:

First of all, thanks everyone for all the comments. When I have finally made a decision to wait for the new Lumix 14-140mm, my boyfriend kindly ordered 45-175mm for me, so I will give it a go... It had only just arrived and the first thing that I have noticed is a disconcerting noise while using the zoom. It's not OIS rattling noise described previously, it's more of a grinding noise when the lens is mounted and the camera on. Here's a link to what I mean (poor quality as it has been quickly recornod on a tablet)

Has anyone else experienced similar noise with this or any other lens? Should I worry about it and return the lens as faulty or is it quite normal?

To me on this crummy notebook it sounds more like the aperture clicking as the zoom changes. Try the same with a lens cap on and see if the noise changes. Also set the camera to manual mode with set say f/8 and any shutter speed and keep the lens cap on and see if different. Try in video mode and see if the noise is the same.

As for what is normal I have no experience with the 45-175mm only with the 45-150mm and it makes no sound apart from the usual "singing" sound of the OIS when off or active. The ear has to be hard against the lens to hear the OIS unless in an extremely quite place.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons
Like?
Choices....
In reply to shihhan, May 26, 2013

shihhan wrote:

14-140/150 are 10x travel zooms which are much heavier/bulkier than a 3x zoom lens. For the versatility you also trade off image quality.

Not a huge trade-off in quality. In some circumstances the super-zoom makes a lot of sense to use if travelling and fiddling with lens changes would hold up the partner or the travelling party.

In the end do you need memories or pixel peeping perfect photos?

for the Panasonic zooms 45-150 and 45-175 X PZ are good choices. The 45-175 is a power zoom lens which means you either love it or hate it.

Considering you ahve the EPL5, you can buy the cheaper Oly 40-150 and just use IBIS?

The Panasonic 45-150mm is just a better built lens, comes with a lens hood and using the OIS means a stabilised preview, which is very nice indeed at 150mm with the 2x turned on.

Meanwhile the OP has been gifted the 45-175mm so needs to see how that one works out.

Regards..... Guy

Betarover
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Re: Choices....
In reply to Guy Parsons, May 27, 2013

The Panasonic 45-150mm is just a better built lens, comes with a lens hood and using the OIS means a stabilised preview, which is very nice indeed at 150mm with the 2x turned on.

Very interesting comment because it also applies to my old prime lenses.  Does this mean that when using my old 200mm Nikkor or Canon prime lenses there is no way to activate the E-PL5's in-body stabilization while I am manually focusing the lens?  Would depressing the shutter release button half way activate it?  Is there a continuous stabilization setting?

Guy Parsons
Like?
Re: Choices....
In reply to Betarover, May 27, 2013

Betarover wrote:

Very interesting comment because it also applies to my old prime lenses.  Does this mean that when using my old 200mm Nikkor or Canon prime lenses there is no way to activate the E-PL5's in-body stabilization while I am manually focusing the lens?  Would depressing the shutter release button half way activate it?  Is there a continuous stabilization setting?

OIS in the lens can be made to work whether it be switched or unswitched and it works all the time, (on E-PL5, E-PM2, E-P5, E-PL6), no need to half press.

IBIS in Pen bodies to date does not work until full shutter press, so only works during the exposure. No matter if an Oly lens or legacy lens. So no stabilised preview with a legacy lens on the E-PL5.

The E-P5 will be the first Pen with the new 5 axis IBIS so should work at half press, just like the E-M5, and legacy lenses will have a stabilised half press preview.

Regards..... Guy

anazeta
Like?
Re: Grinding noise while zooming in/out lumix 45-175mm?
In reply to Guy Parsons, May 27, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

anazeta wrote:

To me on this crummy notebook it sounds more like the aperture clicking as the zoom changes. Try the same with a lens cap on and see if the noise changes. Also set the camera to manual mode with set say f/8 and any shutter speed and keep the lens cap on and see if different. Try in video mode and see if the noise is the same.

As for what is normal I have no experience with the 45-175mm only with the 45-150mm and it makes no sound apart from the usual "singing" sound of the OIS when off or active. The ear has to be hard against the lens to hear the OIS unless in an extremely quite place.

Regards..... Guy

thanks Guy. I have tried the suggestions and the noise disappears in video mode, but not when taking stills. I have tried with cap on and off at different apertures and in different modes and the only thing that I notice is that the sound is less pronounced when using the electric zoom lever, but much more pronounced when using the manual zoom ring. I wish I could go and compare it in store, but no one seems to stock it locally.

Guy Parsons
Like?
Normal?
In reply to anazeta, May 27, 2013

anazeta wrote:

thanks Guy. I have tried the suggestions and the noise disappears in video mode, but not when taking stills. I have tried with cap on and off at different apertures and in different modes and the only thing that I notice is that the sound is less pronounced when using the electric zoom lever, but much more pronounced when using the manual zoom ring. I wish I could go and compare it in store, but no one seems to stock it locally.

Because the noise lessens with video then I think (could be very wrong) that it must be aperture chatter, as I know that somewhere they say they dampen aperture actions in video so as to keep the sound unpolluted. To me it must be normal, but we do need another owner with the same lens to speak up.

Regards..... Guy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads