Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
May 20, 2013

Took this photo against the evening sun and was quite surprised that there was not more flare; this lens continues to amaze on every occasion I use it. John

Keith Aitken
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Re: Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
In reply to Cytokine, May 21, 2013

Gorgeous shot !  There is a clarity of colour here . . . Love this lens, too . . .

I was using the 1.4D at a wedding near Cardigan in late April and got some delightful images . . . on a D3s. Nearly froze at night though. Thank goodness your temperatures have risen somewhat in May

Thanks for posting

Keith

. . .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
In reply to Keith Aitken, May 21, 2013

Keith Aitken wrote:

Gorgeous shot !  There is a clarity of colour here . . . Love this lens, too . . .

Thanks Keith, there is a porcelain like quality to the colours, I would love to see what this lens could do on D3s pixels.

I was using the 1.4D at a wedding near Cardigan in late April and got some delightful images . . . on a D3s. Nearly froze at night though. Thank goodness your temperatures have risen somewhat in May

Weather getting better but still feels cold, Yes these are Welsh apple blossoms not far from the birth place of Dylan Thomas "The ugly pretty city"

Thanks for posting

Keith

. . .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,744
Like?
Re: Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
In reply to Cytokine, May 21, 2013

Cytokine wrote:

Took this photo against the evening sun and was quite surprised that there was not more flare; this lens continues to amaze on every occasion I use it. John

I see no evening sun which can cause flare.... Just see openings in the foliage which show some brighter sky? I know the screen on this computer is a tad "dark" (can't be calibrated better), but the subject itself seems a bit under exposed...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,084Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
In reply to Cytokine, May 21, 2013

I also loved that lens on my D300 and D700. It was stolen prior to buying a D800 and D3S. I now have the 85 f/1.4G which I love but doesn't quite have the same magic, I think.

Good shot and hope you enjoy that beauty. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

 Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
In reply to brightcolours, May 21, 2013

brightcolours wrote:

Cytokine wrote:

Took this photo against the evening sun and was quite surprised that there was not more flare; this lens continues to amaze on every occasion I use it. John

I see no evening sun which can cause flare.... Just see openings in the foliage which show some brighter sky? I know the screen on this computer is a tad "dark" (can't be calibrated better), but the subject itself seems a bit under exposed...

There was another tree behind the apple tree branch and the sun was shining brightly through its branches. You can see near bottom left where the sensor is overloaded, and by the speed.

Like you I have problems with the brightness on my lap top, so difficult to set correct exposure in Raw.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Apple Blossom against the light, Nikon 85mm 1.4D
In reply to Guidenet, May 21, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

I also loved that lens on my D300 and D700. It was stolen prior to buying a D800 and D3S. I now have the 85 f/1.4G which I love but doesn't quite have the same magic, I think.

This is my first high end prime and is much better than I thought it would be, I agree about it being magical, and is sharper than the charts suggest. It must be the contrast in these lenses. It has given me a new respect for top Nikon glass, the 85 1.4G must be very good indeed.

Good shot and hope you enjoy that beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

John

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads