Post your pictures of farm-animals

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,823Gear list
Like?
A rare pig -- the "nearest to the wild" Tamworth
In reply to inasir1971, May 23, 2013

Visiting Brisbane in 2010, I asked my cousin, Gayle, to take me out to Mark Tully's rare chooks (chickens) and pigs, etc, farm at Helidon.

Cousin Gayle and a Tamworth piglet. The now endangered, orangeBlue Hills haired Tamworth breed is one of the closest of domestic pigs to the wild. They can actually plough a furrow with their nose! A half a century plus ago when I was a lad growing up on our small farm outside Melbourne in Australia we raised Berkshire and Large White pigs. I was fascinated by the hardy Tamworth breed, though, and there were hundreds of pig farms around the country stocked with Tamworth. Now there are only a few hundred Tamworth breeding sows in the whole world!!!  The same goes for the Wessex Saddleback, Large Black, Berkshire, and even the Large White -- all displaced by an amorphous big white pig bred for super growth and now stocking pig farms around the world. And the same goes for other domesticated animals including birds.

I love pigs! 

Blue Hills is handily situated in conjunction of two creeks -- a huge advantage in normal times but a total disadvantage when freak flash floods roared through the area, killing people and stock, and causing huge property damage from Toowoomba to Brisbane in 2011.

They wiped out Mark's farm (along with those of his neighbors) and swept away most of the animals. Check out the Blue Hills site. Fascinating stuff about the loss of critical populations of original domesticated breeds.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
Re: Post your pictures of farm-animals
In reply to call me Skippy, May 23, 2013

At the county fair.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014Gear list
Like?
My neighbors
In reply to baxters, May 23, 2013

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014Gear list
Like?
Apologies
In reply to baxters, May 23, 2013

Sorry, I meant to reply to the thread, not to you individually. I don't like how you can't delete your own posts.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,779Gear list
Like?
Re: A rare pig -- the "nearest to the wild" Tamworth
In reply to Hen3ry, May 23, 2013

I love this shot!  I love this pig (never thought I'd say that)!  What a sweet animal!

This is very interesting, and I want to thank you for all the information and history.  I really enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Roberto Angelo
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Heading back to the farm
In reply to call me Skippy, May 23, 2013
 Roberto Angelo's gear list:Roberto Angelo's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Roberto Angelo
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Re: Heading back to the farm, were invisible, now ok, I think
In reply to Roberto Angelo, May 23, 2013

Edit: seems ok now

The photos are visible before I post and in edit, but not in normal thread view. Sorry. Can't delete the post. If you click on the image, it does seem to open.

Any suggestions. Have done this before without problems.

Roberto Angelo's gear list:Roberto Angelo's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
call me Skippy
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Is that legal? (nm)
In reply to Ollie 2, May 23, 2013

What do you mean? Of course it is - as long as you ask the farmer.

call me Skippy's gear list:call me Skippy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,323
Like?
a lot of sheep
In reply to call me Skippy, May 24, 2013

Basque farm near Bodie California

Atwater
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: Post your pictures of farm-animals
In reply to call me Skippy, May 24, 2013

What-- no food?

it's soft, but oh well! (G1 with 14-45mm)

Thanks for starting the thread.

Atwater's gear list:Atwater's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads