Wife Dropped My 2 Week Old RX100 :(

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions
MikeWarner
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Wife Dropped My 2 Week Old RX100 :(
May 20, 2013

I got in the car yesterday and put the seatbelt on, but my seatbelt was uncomfortable against the RX100 in my jacket pocket, so I handed it to my wife to "look after" while I was driving.  She put it on her lap and forgot it was there, so when she got out of the car, it was sent falling to the ground.  It was in a Crumpler case and landed onto flat concrete, but somehow managed to find the only stone in the area to land lens down onto.  The stone pieced the Crumpler case and dented the rotating ring.  It is now scratched and the ring does not rotate freely as it is bent in slightly.

So - first off, I'm glad I spent the extra for the 3 year warranty and accidental damage cover.  But it is going to take longer to fix than I've owned the things for to start with.

You can see the damage above (next to the Sony logo) - it doesn't look like much, but enough to stop the ring rotating smoothly.  It is harder to rotate and the friction varies depending on its position.  Apart from that, It seems to work fine.

Hopefully it won't take longer than 6 weeks to fix as I'm going on holiday to Egypt then and would really like the camera with me!!!!! Not happy at all.

MikeWarner's gear list:MikeWarner's gear list
Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Apple iPhone 5 Apple iPad WiFi
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Travis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,177Gear list
Like?
Re: Wife Dropped My 2 Week Old RX100 :(
In reply to MikeWarner, May 20, 2013

MikeWarner wrote:

So - first off, I'm glad I spent the extra for the 3 year warranty and accidental damage cover.  But it is going to take longer to fix than I've owned the things for to start with.

Bummer!  Hopefully, you'll get it returned soon.

What 3-year warranty were you referring to, by the way?  My RX100 is about the same "age" as yours and I haven't gotten any accidental warranty.  But I'm thinking maybe I should before we go on our trip to Disneyworld.

Thanks,

Travis

-- hide signature --
 Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MikeWarner
Like?
In reply to Travis, May 20, 2013

I'm in the UK and the cover is with John Lewis (the store I bought it from).  It was only £47 (about $72) for the 3 years.  They are saying 'up to' 4 weeks, so fingers crossed there won't be any delay.  I'll have to use my old HX5V for the duration.

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,098Gear list
Like?

I hope you will get your RX100 back before your trip. If not, your wife will understand if you get the RX1. More shock resistant. It's the right moment.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +8 more
cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enir4, May 20, 2013

Never mind, it's only a little camera. There was once a time (probably 1950's) where she would have felt the back fo your hand for that.

Only joking. Just get the RX1 and tell her It's the latest RX100.

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Enir4
Like?
In reply to cmc1, May 20, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

Never mind, it's only a little camera. There was once a time (probably 1950's) where she would have felt the back fo your hand for that.

Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +8 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,324Gear list
Like?
Why you should consider another bag...

you need more padding for this sort of carelessness.  Try Lowe, Think Tank, Kata....

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
jeanmichd
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

I dropped mine too and had the whole front body replaced by Sony France for €77 all included in just one week !

I still use the tiny Lowepro bag for regular usage (I just take some more care...) but invested in a Pelican 1010 Micro Case Box for 100% protection while biking or hiking

The RX100 fits perfectly in this box like it was custom tailored.

-- hide signature --

JeanM

lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?

I dropped mine taking it out of the box the first time.  No damage though.

MikeWarner
Like?
In reply to jeanmichd, May 20, 2013

I have a small Lowepro too (Apex 20AW), but it is a bit bulky to put in a pocket.  As I was only using it indoors, I thought I'd use the small Crumpler case instead (which is really for my old HX5V)....... oh well.  Won't do that again.

SyberianShot
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?

Whenever anyone else handles my Rx100 I insist that they use my locking wrist strap.

SyberianShot's gear list:SyberianShot's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, May 20, 2013

Consider disabling the ring. First, you don't need it. You can access any function you need with the Fn, then use the scroll ring on the back. Simple, easy. Then, you can get a push-on lens cap that protect the delicate lens cover mechanism, which you can't really use if the control ring is active.

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael's Photos, May 20, 2013

Michael's Photos wrote:

Consider disabling the ring. First, you don't need it. You can access any function you need with the Fn, then use the scroll ring on the back. Simple, easy. Then, you can get a push-on lens cap that protect the delicate lens cover mechanism, which you can't really use if the control ring is active.

I thought there were a few functions only accessible using the front ring, such as choosing scene modes or focusing.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, May 20, 2013

For Scenes: Make sure "Mode Dial Guide" in the Menu (toolbar section) is set to "on,"  then when you turn the mode wheel on top of the camera to "SCN" you'll see the different scenes, and you can scroll to the one you want with the wheel on back of the camera. As far as manual focus, that one I don't know since I never manually focus.

Digitall
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeWarner, May 21, 2013

RX100 will be the camera that falls more often the hands of photographer? geezzz I've read enough reports RX100 accidentally fall. A design error eventually? Is that my wife has dropped precisely our RX100, made a small dent on the edge of the metallic base of the camera, hardly noticeable. I was psychologically affected I wonder what you feel...

Ordered today the Richard Franiec grip for better handling. Let's see if it works.

MikeWarner
Like?
In reply to Digitall, May 21, 2013

I'm the sort of person who buys and iPhone and after 2 years sells it on and can describe it is "looks new", so any scratch on my RX100 is going to really upset me.  Even though I have accidental damage cover on it.  The cover does not cover cosmetic damage though - but in this case the funtion is impared, so hopefully all scratched parts will be replaced making it look new again.

Having a better grip on it wouldn't have helped in this case, but in future I think I'll make sure my wife doesn't get her hands on it ever again.  To think she suggested selling our 3 year old "looks new" HX5V, saying we don't need two cameras.  I think she just proved that we do!!!!  She previously lost a Panasonic DMC-FX150 of mine leaving it in a planetarium.  That was a really decent camera at the time too.

Keeping the camera as is and not using the front ring isn't an option for me - I just couldn't live with an imparied product.

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,950Gear list
Like?

I have same warranty, I would take it to Egypt, use it, have it fixed later. Have a back up camera, perhaps one that takes regular batteries.

Back up your pictures while you are there, ...,

Of course post shots upon return, enjoy the trip.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Enir4
Like?

About two or three years ago my wife took my Canon S90 to the boat, she wanted to photograph the beautiful scenery. It was a stormy day. A wave went over her and the S90. No fun. Now she has her own camera and my cameras feel safe.

Enrique

Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,982
Like?
Drop & Dunk Warranties
In reply to elliottnewcomb, May 21, 2013

Be aware that every penny they write up as the charge for fixing the camera will come off the limits of the warranty, which is the purchase price. If they say the repair was worth $300., then you have only $350. left for future damage. If you have a major repair need later, they may say that it exceeds what you have remaining and you'll get only what was left as a refund and they'll keep the camera.

If you can figure a way to bend the parts back enough yourself, so they'll rotate freely, you'll be in a much better position.

-- hide signature --
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to cmc1, May 21, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

Wife slapping-- such an amusing reference.

These wives-- so easy to fool 'em! You can go out and buy a fancy $3000 camera, 'cause they won't know the difference between that and a $600 one anyway.

Yeah, I know, where's my sense of humor?

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads