Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions
Huntere
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes
May 20, 2013

I have recently bought a Canon 60D with 18-55 and 55-250mm kit lenses.
Now I guess my main thing is landscapes and am off soon to Karijini and really what to capture it as best I can with my limited ability! Given its a 2 day drive I don't want to have to go back.
So am looking at the Canon 10-22mm IS USM lens.....but its a lot of coin, well compared to the recent kit purchase.
Should I? I know no one can answer definitely but is that little better extra worth it for capturing vistas?
If someone could post come comparisons it would help.

Thanks

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,216Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes
In reply to Huntere, May 20, 2013

I have the 15-85IS & love it. Great IQ. Fast & whisper quiet AF. Nice size & solid build. I also bought a Sigma 10-20f/4-5.6, which is cheaper than the Canon, but still a good UWA lens. If I had to sell one it would be the 10-20. Not because it's a bad lens, the 15-85 is just so much better, & has a great focal length. I am not familliar with the place you are going, but don't be fooled into thinking the difference between 18 & 15 is not that much. It is!! If you can afford it, get the 15-85, you won't regret it.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,382Gear list
Like?

The difference between 10mm and 18mm is HUGE - 10 mm gives almost double the viewing angle (think of 18/10 for the factor). If you really want a wide expansive view, the 10mm focal length is  much better.

I have 17-55 and 10-22 lenses. For normal shooting, I don't often use the 10-22, but I use the wider lens a lot when shooting landscapes (and weddings).

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?

I would emphasize what has already been said.  The difference between 10mm and 18mm is huge.  The same can be said for the difference between 10mm and 15mm.  I have both the 10-22 and 15-85 and use the lens that matches my needs for each specific image.

If you buy a different lens, either 10-22 or the 15-85, I suggest you spend a great deal of time understanding how and when to use different focal lengths.  If you just want a wide angle so you can stand at Oxer Lookout and capture a wider area, you are likely to be disappointed.  Wide and UW angle lenses are all about changing perspective, being able to emphasize foreground elements and being able to control depth of field.  If you just want a wider field of view, you can always take a couple of images and stitch them into a pano.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim. www.specialplacesphoto.com

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?

Huntere wrote:

Now I guess my main thing is landscapes and am off soon to Karijini and really what to capture it as best I can with my limited ability! Given its a 2 day drive I don't want to have to go back.
So am looking at the Canon 10-22mm IS USM lens.....but its a lot of coin, well compared to the recent kit purchase.
Should I? I know no one can answer definitely but is that little better extra worth it for capturing vistas?

Thanks

As others have said, the difference between 10mm and 18mm is huge.

However, given that huge difference, I would suggest that you want to capture it the best you can with your existing equipment. If you need wider angle you can shoot and stitch panoramas.

You can also use the 55-250 to pick out details that would otherwise be lost in the super-wide angle image and this approach often brings far more distinctive images.

Honestly, for a rare opportunity, I'd stick with the equipment you know and use already.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Huntere
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Thorbard, May 20, 2013

Guys

thanks for your quick responses. I'm wondering with my limited experience I ought to experiment with what I have and learn more technique first.

Slightly fearful now it might be beyond me to get the best out of it?

plugin
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, May 20, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

I would emphasize what has already been said.  The difference between 10mm and 18mm is huge.  The same can be said for the difference between 10mm and 15mm.  I have both the 10-22 and 15-85 and use the lens that matches my needs for each specific image.

If you buy a different lens, either 10-22 or the 15-85, I suggest you spend a great deal of time understanding how and when to use different focal lengths.  If you just want a wide angle so you can stand at Oxer Lookout and capture a wider area, you are likely to be disappointed.  Wide and UW angle lenses are all about changing perspective, being able to emphasize foreground elements and being able to control depth of field.  If you just want a wider field of view, you can always take a couple of images and stitch them into a pano.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim. www.specialplacesphoto.com

Actually, the lens focal length does not change perspective at all.  Your position relative to the subject does.  When people say a long lens compresses perspective, for example, what they really mean is that taking pictures from farther away compresses perspective.  Similarly, emphasizing perspective with a short lens really means emphasizing perspective by being closer.

Stitching multiple images taken with an 18mm lens will have the exact same perspective as a 10 mm image if you take them from the same spot. What will change is DOF, but that can be managed with aperture selection and focus stacking.

Having said that - I use my 18-50 far more than my 10-20 lens, but I would never travel without the 10-20.  I would rather spend 10 seconds changing lenses than stitch together later, and being able to see the final image while composing is a big deal to me (although I will stitch if I have to for some reason).

olsem007
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
In reply to plugin, May 20, 2013

"Actually, the lens focal length does not change perspective at all."

Actually, it does. By changing the lens focal length you are changing the angle of view of the lens, so the perspective is changed by default.

olsem007
Like?

Don't be afraid to experiment! Each click of a digital camera costs far less than back in the film days and you can see your results immediately. Good luck!

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,856Gear list
Like?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

There is a photo series of 10mm to 22mm shots of the same subject.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
plugin
Like?
In reply to olsem007, May 20, 2013

olsem007 wrote:

"Actually, the lens focal length does not change perspective at all."

Actually, it does. By changing the lens focal length you are changing the angle of view of the lens, so the perspective is changed by default.

Perspective in the context of lens selection is usually taken to mean the relative sizes of foreground and background objects.  Lens selection does nothing to change this, if both images are taken from the same spot.  The reason that people think it does is that pictures with long lenses are usually taken from farther back.

If you define perspective as angle of view (I don't, and most people wouldn't) then you could say lens selection changes it.

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,788Gear list
Like?

Huntere wrote:

Thanks

The Rokinon FE8M-C 8mm F3.5 Fisheye Lens would be a great budget alternative.

It is manual focus, but, that wide of a lens has a huge depth of field so that really isn't a factor.

Flickr search Canon and Rokinon 8mm

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
jeanmichd
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

I got the 10-22 when I bought my 7D about 2 years ago and I use it @ 10 for landscape most of the time (75% of my pictures).

I'm thinking moving up to a 5D3 and my only concern is which lens will replace this amazing and affordable 10-22 ?

JeanM

TTMartin
Like?
In reply to jeanmichd, May 20, 2013

jeanmichd wrote:

I got the 10-22 when I bought my 7D about 2 years ago and I use it @ 10 for landscape most of the time (75% of my pictures).

I'm thinking moving up to a 5D3 and my only concern is which lens will replace this amazing and affordable 10-22 ?

I like the Rokinon 8mm on my 7D so much, I purchased the Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens when I got my 6D.

Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
olsem007
Like?

Digital zoom (cropping) doesn't change perspective, optical does. There is nothing to argue about.

olsem007
Like?
plugin
Like?

olsem007 wrote:

Digital zoom (cropping) doesn't change perspective, optical does. There is nothing to argue about.

Actually - there is.  You are not correct.  The link you shared does not contradict what I said - because the pictures they show are NOT taken from the same spot.  If you change your position, so as to maintain the same object image size, then perspective will change - but it was not the lens change that caused it, it was the position change.  Changing lenses, while staying in the same position, will NOT change perspective at all.

This is a bit counter intuitive, as we are told over and over that long lenses compress perspective, and short lenses exaggerate it - but those statements are incorrect.  Taking a picture from close to a subject exaggerates perspective, taking pictures from far away compresses it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you 'corrected' my statement by making an incorrect one.  Lens changes do NOT change perspective, IF THE PICTURE IS TAKEN FROM THE SAME SPOT.

olsem007
Like?

FEEL FREE TO THINK WHATEVER YOU WANT. GOOD LUCK!

tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?
consider stitching

consider stitching - try it with the 18 , then consider the 10-22 .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
TTMartin
Like?

olsem007 wrote:

FEEL FREE TO THINK WHATEVER YOU WANT. GOOD LUCK!

Sorry, I'm with plugin on this one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads