RX100 concerns...

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
dood77
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
RX100 concerns...
May 19, 2013

Hey there, I'm a complete photography novice but am looking for an upgrade to my 10 year Olympus Stylus 300.

Very important is good pictures in low light, which my cell phone and the Olympus really cannot do

I considered a compact interchangeable lens system, but probably would never even buy another lens, and I am in no way ever going to carry a camera bag.  If I ever decided to go this route, I'd probably go full dSLR, but it will probably never happen.

All I ever wanted was something that made great pictures in low light.  I really want it simple, and don't need anything else.  All of my searching has led me to the RX100, although it is probably actually waaay more camera than I need.  But it seems to have better low light ability then say Canon s100/s110, fuji xf1/x20, etc., etc.  I suppose I might ever actually convert a RAW file to a real picture on my computer but would probably use almost exclusively the jpegs made by the camera, and maybe I'd print a picture out now and then, but I really am just looking for something that makes great photos to put on web, send to friends/family, screensaver etc.

So my concerns with the RX100:

1.  20 megapixels is going to use up a TON of hard drive space.  I really don't need all these megapixels.  I am guessing I can turn down the megapixels on the camera e.g. to 12 to take photos-- will this significantly affect the image quality of an online image?  e.g., on this website and others there are sample images from this camera that on my computer screen are like 4 x 6 inches, and the RX100 images beat images from other cameras even at 4 x 6 on my computer screen.  Is it necessary to have the 20 mp to do this?

2.  Even with my 10 year old Olympus stylus 3 mp camera, I typically shrink photos to 1024 x 768 or 640 x 480 on photoshop (like a 10 year old version of photoshop) prior to sending them-- nobody wants to open ten 20 mp images through their email, if it's even possible to send such a thing.  Would shrinking the images down on e.g. photoshop eliminate the high picture quality I am buying the camera for in the first place?

3.  Said differently, by the time I might take images at e.g. 12 megapixels, then shrink to 1024 x 768, would I just be better off with some $100 Nikon coolpix (which of course wouldn't perform as well in low light!-- you see my struggle).

Please go easy I have been researching but am a complete photography noob so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm XF1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,081Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 concerns...
In reply to dood77, May 19, 2013

what are your concerns ?

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?

The RX100 is a fine tool. It takes a while to learn, but this is also a fun period. There is a lot of friendly advise on this forum to be had. Once you get the "bug" it's hard not to take the camera with you and take pictures nearly everyday!

I think the key reply to your worries are that the modern cameras are using increasingly large files, and this usually equates to better overall image quality. But also you mention getting a 100dollar camera, but the quality of the RX100 is way above that, it's not JUST about pixels, but about light handling between lights and darks (contrast and dynamic range), colour, definition, and low light handling (which you mention) and also CONTROL of the photography process. This latter aspect is so important. With cheap point and click cameras you are limited to set automatic modes, which do not really allow you to select which areas of the image you want to expose over others and how you expose them, with accuracy. DSLR's allow this and also MILC's also. In addition the RX100 also does. Since I have moved away from auto-exposing cameras, my "hit rate" for good shots has gone from perhaps 50% to perhaps 95%, which is greatly satisfying.

See other replies below...

dood77 wrote:

Hey there, I'm a complete photography novice but am looking for an upgrade to my 10 year Olympus Stylus 300.

-- hide signature --

Very important is good pictures in low light, which my cell phone and the Olympus really cannot do

--  I considered a compact interchangeable lens system, but probably would never even buy another lens, and I am in no way ever going to carry a camera bag.  If I ever decided to go this route, I'd probably go full dSLR, but it will probably never happen.

--  All I ever wanted was something that made great pictures in low light.  I really want it simple, and don't need anything else.  All of my searching has led me to the RX100, although it is probably actually waaay more camera than I need.  But it seems to have better low light ability then say Canon s100/s110, fuji xf1/x20, etc., etc.  I suppose I might ever actually convert a RAW file to a real picture on my computer but would probably use almost exclusively the jpegs made by the camera, and maybe I'd print a picture out now and then, but I really am just looking for something that makes great photos to put on web, send to friends/family, screensaver etc.

So my concerns with the RX100:

1.  20 megapixels is going to use up a TON of hard drive space.  I really don't need all these megapixels.  I am guessing I can turn down the megapixels on the camera e.g. to 12 to take photos-- will this significantly affect the image quality of an online image?  e.g., on this website and others there are sample images from this camera that on my computer screen are like 4 x 6 inches, and the RX100 images beat images from other cameras even at 4 x 6 on my computer screen.  Is it necessary to have the 20 mp to do this?

20mp usually equates to jpg images around 5-10mp. HD space is cheap nowadays, here we can buy a 2tb external drive for around 150chf or around 130usd. I have taken around 12500 images and videos since the beginning of 2013 and I believe I am a heavy user, and this is only 160gb (including around 3000 raw files). So, thats only around 6usd per month of storage costs (as i do keep a backup also). Ive recently started to keep JPG and RAW's so i guess my use will increase quite a bit, but still not hugely.

2.  Even with my 10 year old Olympus stylus 3 mp camera, I typically shrink photos to 1024 x 768 or 640 x 480 on photoshop (like a 10 year old version of photoshop) prior to sending them-- nobody wants to open ten 20 mp images through their email, if it's even possible to send such a thing.  Would shrinking the images down on e.g. photoshop eliminate the high picture quality I am buying the camera for in the first place?

I batch resize my images using a simple windows tool called image resizer. Its not a big chore. Then I put the resized images on my tablet for posterity viewing and keep the originals on the HDD with a back up.

3.  Said differently, by the time I might take images at e.g. 12 megapixels, then shrink to 1024 x 768, would I just be better off with some $100 Nikon coolpix (which of course wouldn't perform as well in low light!-- you see my struggle).

As you get "into" photography, you will appreciate having the finest possible original files to work with. So 20mp originals is not a problem, indeed, it's a benefit.

Please go easy I have been researching but am a complete photography noob so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Mike C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789Gear list
Like?
Please advise as to your photography style, goals and percieved needs..we can assist...

just need more information....

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 DxO Optics Pro Standard +2 more
gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,176Gear list
Like?
mbizer
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to salla30, May 19, 2013

One thing that has to be said about the RX100 is that Sony ships it with possibly the least helpful documentation that I've seen in a long time. You'll definitely need more. Can anyone recommend a manual?

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,318Gear list
Like?
In reply to mbizer, May 19, 2013

mbizer wrote:

One thing that has to be said about the RX100 is that Sony ships it with possibly the least helpful documentation that I've seen in a long time. You'll definitely need more. Can anyone recommend a manual?

Yes: http://friedmanarchives.com/RX100/

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marti58, May 19, 2013

Marti58 wrote:

what are your concerns ?

For some reason the OP's concerns only show up if you click on "--show signature--", but they are visible if you do that.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
dlorde
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

I was in a similar position a couple of months ago when I got the RX100 - intending to shoot mainly JPG, use mostly auto modes, and a little concerned about image size. Since then I've found that by shooting RAW and using a decent editor (e.g. something like Lightroom), you can bring out the best in your images, then export them to the web at a smaller size. Disk space is fairly cheap, but if you really can't afford storage, you could delete the originals and just keep a smaller version (not really recommended).

In the end, being able to tweak and recover detail from RAW images without running out of image data has won me over.

salla30
Like?
stupid manual writers at the big manufactures
In reply to Digital Nigel, May 20, 2013

It didnt bother me too much, as I came from experienced use of NEX, so understood most of the features and learned the rest by experimentation.

But all these big companies suffer from manual writing stupidity (Im sure sony's not the only ones, but they are pressured to get the product out on the market and so corners are cut):

eg

#23 Flash Button - Press this button to select flash

#12654 Peaking level - Select to set peaking level

These are just my made up examples, but the official online manual and the user guide which came with the cam is rife with this sort of thing.

Definitely checkout some of the online independent guides.

dood77
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, May 20, 2013

Digital Nigel wrote:

mbizer wrote:

Yes: http://friedmanarchives.com/RX100/

Okay, great advice, thanks!

Also, thanks everyone for the great answers.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
In reply to Liz Z., May 20, 2013

Liz Z. wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

what are your concerns ?

For some reason the OP's concerns only show up if you click on "--show signature--", but they are visible if you do that.

-- hide signature --

Liz

you're right Liz, lets see if i can fix it.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
dood77
Like?
Re: Please advise as to your photography style, goals and percieved needs..we can assist...
In reply to Mike C, May 20, 2013

Mike C wrote:

just need more information....

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

Hey there,

Definitely just figuring this out, not sure this is established yet so not sure this answer will help.

My goal is really just to get great pics of my kids and family on vacations and day trips.  Better image quality than what I've had and I feel like time with the little ones is slipping by.  I'd also like to become a better photographer so that many more of my images are great photographs.  What started this is we have a big vacation (once in a lifetime kind of thing) so I wanted to knock it out of the park with the photos, then have a camera that will also last years to come.

Not sure I have a style... thought I would need a zoom lens as kids are doing sports but I just don't see it happening.  There are a few moms walking around with big dSLRs and right now that's just not me.  I'm out playing with the kids or whatever during these things.  I've also never been much of a zoom person, I believe in just getting close to the subject, although this is partly a function of the really crappy zoom stuff I've had over the years I am guessing.

Perceived needs:  Something to take good indoor images, and outdoor images in low light.  I really also want something relatively simple to use.  I know the two don't necessarily go hand in hand, but right now I am thinking this camera is in my wheelhouse.

Goals:  Good pics of family.  Become a better photographer.

Style:  Okay roaming without zooming, like simple.

Perceived needs:  Great photos, done simply.

Again, not sure that helped but those are my developing thoughts.

dood77
Like?
In reply to dlorde, May 20, 2013

dlorde wrote:

I was in a similar position a couple of months ago when I got the RX100 - intending to shoot mainly JPG, use mostly auto modes, and a little concerned about image size. Since then I've found that by shooting RAW and using a decent editor (e.g. something like Lightroom), you can bring out the best in your images, then export them to the web at a smaller size. Disk space is fairly cheap, but if you really can't afford storage, you could delete the originals and just keep a smaller version (not really recommended).

In the end, being able to tweak and recover detail from RAW images without running out of image data has won me over.

Okay, very inspiring.  I could probably get into the Lightroom thing.  After all, currently I am individually downsizing worthy photos one-by-one on like a 10 year old version of Photoshop.  Lightroom and a few other tricks (like the Windows resize tool mentioned in a post above) should be much better!

Again thanks everyone!

dood77
Like?
In reply to dood77, May 20, 2013

dood77 wrote:

dlorde wrote:

Okay, very inspiring.  I could probably get into the Lightroom thing.  After all, currently I am individually downsizing worthy photos one-by-one on like a 10 year old version of Photoshop.  Lightroom and a few other tricks (like the Windows resize tool mentioned in a post above) should be much better!

Again thanks everyone!

Oh and by the way, yes I can get a 1 terabyte hard drive for like $80 or whatever, really no big deal now that you mention it.  Sounds like that's what people do.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?

Hi Dood,

i have corrected you initial post, now you concerns are visible.

cheers Marti

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

salla30
Like?
In reply to Marti58, May 20, 2013

Weird, I could see the list without clicking the signature originally.

salla30
Like?
RX100 will allow you to develop as a photographer...

RX100 will allow you to develop as a photographer. As you feel more comfortable and less satisfied with it's auto-output, you can progress into using it in the more controlled modes, ie A S and M (prioritising aperture, or how much the lens opens to allow light in, shutter speed control mode, and full manual control, which is not as daunting as it sounds).

It will offer you low light capability streets ahead of cheaper P&S cameras and phones.

I use it PRIMARILY to capture my son out and about.

The autofocus is very quick which really helps to get him on the move.

Here are a few lower light or high contrast shots:

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
In reply to salla30, May 20, 2013

salla30 wrote:

Weird, I could see the list without clicking the signature originally.

for me it was hidden in the signature as well, might be a browser related issue.

anyhow it should be ok now .... i guess.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

salla30
Like?
In reply to Marti58, May 20, 2013

np, marti. Yep probably browser related

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads