Nikon D7000 vs D7100

Started May 19, 2013 | Questions
MrCahooner
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Nikon D7000 vs D7100
May 19, 2013

I was originally considering the Nikon D5200 as well, but after testing it at a photography store I've decided against it.

I require an SLR for both my hobby and A-Level Photography in which I'll be using a camera for a variety of situations mainly consisting of portrait, landscape and street photography but I hope to also shoot sport and wildlife. This is why I'm considering these two cameras as they fit this and are within my price range. These are the lenses that I own:

18-55mm kit

55-200mm VR

Very basic I am aware. I my situation, the D7100 costs £140 more than the D7000 which makes my choice between them very difficult. Please base your answer on my situation where this is the price difference between the two. If I were to buy the D7000 I would buy a 35/50mm 1.8G lens. If I were to buy the D7100 I'd have to wait a little while before purchasing one of these lenses, but it probably wouldn't be too long. Please give me your reccomendations.

Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,884Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 vs D7100
In reply to MrCahooner, May 19, 2013

For that amount of money, I would spend the extra and get the newer camera.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neocon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, May 19, 2013

My first dSLR was the D80.  Got the D7000 one year ago; it is so much better than the older model.  So I would strongly suggest you purchase the D7000 along with an f1.8 35mm or 50mm lens.

Neocon's gear list:Neocon's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrCahooner, May 20, 2013

Sir --

Hmmm.  The answer to your conundrum depends on the photography that you strive to achieve; more accurately, it depends on the images that you strive to capture.  At the risk of blovating as an old guy, forgive me:

1)  If your objective is high-res, high dynamic range, landscapes then your current lenses are, umm, wanting.  You gotta get the glass you need, soonest; and if you are resource constrained, by all means start with moderate apeture primes.  Forget the camera bodies for now, the glass is what limits you.

2)  If your interest is "family photography" (kids/teens in sports, events, vacations, etc.), your glass is okay and your probable first limitation is -- of all things -- the flash. Sorry, 'tis true.  Get a body with wireless capability and a decent flash unit: sb700 or 600.  Then learn to use it.

3)  The d7k v d7100 issue is largely one of cost vs max resolution/enlargement.  Both have -- more or less -- the same dynamic range and buffer capability.  But with the best glass the d7100 is better . . . which is anuther way of saying, with consumer glass like yours, for goodness sakes save your money.

all of this means that real issue is: what is your lens strategy?  Frankly, your current lens portfolio is, ah, limited.  The 18-55 is weak on BOTH ends opitcally.  Consider either the 16-85 or 24-85 (which is optically excellent, but has some obvious operational limitations in dx).  Nikon's best reasonably sized tele is the 70-200 f4, but the 70-300 f5.6 VR is still a step up from your lens.

All of which is to say, the real issue here is what is your lens strategy, not what is your body strategy?

PS  I have used (and own most of) the equipment listed above, save the d7100 (which is not enough of a step up to cause me to buy it).  I can afford any gear i wish short of a Phase One/

-- hide signature --

gary ray

Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550
Like?

MrCahooner wrote:

I was originally considering the Nikon D5200 as well, but after testing it at a photography store I've decided against it.

I require an SLR for both my hobby and A-Level Photography in which I'll be using a camera for a variety of situations mainly consisting of portrait, landscape and street photography but I hope to also shoot sport and wildlife. This is why I'm considering these two cameras as they fit this and are within my price range. These are the lenses that I own:

18-55mm kit

55-200mm VR

Very basic I am aware. I my situation, the D7100 costs £140 more than the D7000 which makes my choice between them very difficult. Please base your answer on my situation where this is the price difference between the two. If I were to buy the D7000 I would buy a 35/50mm 1.8G lens. If I were to buy the D7100 I'd have to wait a little while before purchasing one of these lenses, but it probably wouldn't be too long. Please give me your reccomendations.

Thanks for your time.

I've had both and the D7100 is much better especially as you one day want to shoot sport and wildlife.

You can get other lenses as and when you can afford them.

MrCahooner
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to gear1box, May 20, 2013

My current lens strategy is to keep the basic lenses I own and then buy a 50 or 35mm f/1.8G for better quality photographs. As I've said I could buy that at the same time as a D7K or buy a D7.1K and wait at least a quarter pr two before buying another lens. This body will have to last me a good three to four years, so that's my only concern about buying the D7000. Flashes are supplied by my school and so this isn't a particular issue, but of course I will consider it for my own photographic requirements.

dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?

Let's see...

51 area AF points vs. 39? Better shot framing.

More AF cross type sensors on D7100. Better AF.

Higher resolution (more room for cropping wildlife, BIF).

Worst thing most say about the D7100 is the "small buffer" for continuous high speed shooting.

imho... As long as you are going to make a change and the price is not a "major" difference, might as well get the best body within that camera body style.

Wayne

srorke
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
In reply to dwa1, May 20, 2013

Why did you decide against the 5200?

I'm about to switch from Pentax, and am completely confused between the two.  For me, the $500 difference is significant.    One thing said there is an f stop between them, but i don't see where that would be from the specs.

I take my kid's indoor sports pictures - girls h.s. basketball and volleyball.   Any f'stops i can get i will take.

Thanks.

pixelless
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
In reply to MrCahooner, May 21, 2013

If price diference is 140, and you need to keep it for at least 3 years, I would say that the d7100 is the better buy. And I´m a happy d7k owner!

JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrCahooner, May 21, 2013

MrCahooner wrote:

18-55mm kit

55-200mm VR

Thanks for your time.

I'm a D7000 owner, but ALWAYS buy the latest tech. You're going to have your camera for years so get in on the best currently available at your price level.

Buy the 35 1.8 next -- fantastic general use lens.

Enjoy!

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: why not the D5200
In reply to srorke, May 21, 2013

srorke wrote:

Why did you decide against the 5200?

I'm about to switch from Pentax, and am completely confused between the two.  For me, the $500 difference is significant.    One thing said there is an f stop between them, but i don't see where that would be from the specs.

I take my kid's indoor sports pictures - girls h.s. basketball and volleyball.   Any f'stops i can get i will take.

Thanks.

The main differences between the D5200 and D7100/D7000 are:

-Auto focus system (39 points on D5200 (old D7000) and 51 points (D4 system) on the D7100)

-100% viewfinder coverage vs 95%. Or: WYSIWYG through the viewfinder.

-Manual controls: You'll be menu diving a lot in the D5200 when you need to frequently change settings such as white balance, metering, auto focus, ISO. Also, you have two control wheels on the D7100/D7000, which makes exposure setting in manual mode soooo much more convenient.

-Much greater leverage for customisation on the D7100 as the D7100 has four programable buttons against two for the D5100.

-Battery life. ~450 shots vs ~950 shots. Nuff said.

-The D7100 is weather sealed, the D5200 is not. It is a sturdier build.

-There's additional functionality like focus fine-tune, white balance settings etc

-Focus motor in the camera for older AF-D lenses (like the AF-D 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 or the fab AF-D 85mm)

- Custom settings: the D7100 and D7000 have two memory banks that you can get ready for certain types of photography. You can switch between portrait photography and sports photography with the flick of a button, when you'd take minutes to do it all on the D5200 (switch metering, auto focus, single servo vs continuous, picture controls, ISO, etc)

- Flash comander mode! The D7100 allows you to remotely trigger a second flash! You're far less dependent on good light. You just create your own!

The OP will study photography. Having these extra posibilities on a camera is very benificial for him/her. Especially the posibilities around flash and the manual controls.

You can of course work around some of these things with the D5200. You can get remote radio triggers for flash for example. But on other things you cannot, like the manual controls.

No idea what that comment about f-stops means. The 24mp in the D5200 roughly performs the same as that in the D7100 and the D7000 (except resolution wise of course for the D7000). I wouldn't worry too much about it though. At the moment, in Nikon's DX line up, the difference between cameras is defined by features, not by image quality.

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
srorke
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: why not the D5200
In reply to PepsiCan, May 22, 2013

Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads