Does a "Vivid" setting increase JPEG sharpness??

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
Does a "Vivid" setting increase JPEG sharpness??
May 19, 2013

Just been playing with the creative styles on my A57 - Std, Vivid and Landscape. Same scene, same everything (except the style). These were sunny day shots of buildings, boats, railings, signs, etc, about 100-150m away using a 35mm focal length, 1/320 at F8 and ISO100. Vivid gave the most pleasing colour (though not by much), but was sharper at 100% than either Std or Landscape. I didn't alter the settings for each style. They were all at default. Have others noticed this, or was it some strange one-off result I had today?

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF1 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?
Re: Does a "Vivid" setting increase JPEG sharpness??
In reply to Elyharbour, May 19, 2013

Elyharbour wrote:

Just been playing with the creative styles on my A57 - Std, Vivid and Landscape. Same scene, same everything (except the style). These were sunny day shots of buildings, boats, railings, signs, etc, about 100-150m away using a 35mm focal length, 1/320 at F8 and ISO100. Vivid gave the most pleasing colour (though not by much), but was sharper at 100% than either Std or Landscape. I didn't alter the settings for each style. They were all at default. Have others noticed this, or was it some strange one-off result I had today?

I would have said no, here is a quote from the A77 manual (don't have the A57): "The saturation and contrast are heightened for shooting striking images of colorful scenes and subjects such as flowers, spring greenery, blue sky, or ocean views".

I always use Vivid on my sony cams, and have Sharpness +1 as well.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,773
Like?
In reply to rio911, May 19, 2013

rio911 wrote:

Elyharbour wrote:

I would have said no, here is a quote from the A77 manual (don't have the A57): "The saturation and contrast are heightened for shooting striking images of colorful scenes and subjects such as flowers, spring greenery, blue sky, or ocean views".

I always use Vivid on my sony cams, and have Sharpness +1 as well.

rio

If the contrast is heightened it will generally give the appearance of increased sharpness.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, May 19, 2013

Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Actually I added +1 sharpness and +1 contrast to Vivid this afternoon and it looks more like the Std JPEGs after I've tweaked them in LR4. So might be a good setting for me when I want a JPEG direct from camera.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF1 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?
In reply to Elyharbour, May 20, 2013

Elyharbour wrote:

Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Actually I added +1 sharpness and +1 contrast to Vivid this afternoon and it looks more like the Std JPEGs after I've tweaked them in LR4. So might be a good setting for me when I want a JPEG direct from camera.

That's exactly why I use "vivid" as well, I prefer that the camera does its work and produce a "straight out of camera jpg" that does not need any modifications, rather than spend time working on the RAW files.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to Elyharbour, May 20, 2013

It's a great example of two things: why everyone should find their settings that work for them, because everyone's taste is different; and it shows that JPGs 'straight from camera' doesn't mean you have to give up control over how your photo comes out.

Indeed, many folks here have found Vivid mode to be a slightly better tone curve and nicer color - and then fine tune it from there to each person's personal taste.  I've been using Vivid mode on 5 different Sony cameras: A300, A550, A580, NEX3, and NEX5N.  However the 3 individual controls are often a little different.  My A580 has saturation at -1, contrast at 0, sharpness at 0.  My NEX5N has saturation at -1 and sharpness at -1, with contrast 0.  It's all to personal taste - some like to increase saturation a little more, some find Vivid does good at 0, others like to tune it down a notch.  Same for sharpness and contrast.  And it does make a difference.

Combine the right JPG settings with proper exposure when shooting, and you have complete control over your camera's output, tuned precisely to your preferences and helping avoid any need to post process.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads