Blown out tulips

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
tamras29
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Blown out tulips
May 19, 2013

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what has gone wrong with my red tulips please?  What a mess! The sensot is not happy.

X100 - ISO 200 f8 1/400

Provia - OK I appreciate not the best choice, but its the same in the raw file, and nothing I can do fixes it.

I'm using Finepix.

Many thanks.

tamras29's gear list:tamras29's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Blown out tulips
In reply to tamras29, May 19, 2013

looks like you blew out the red channel. I have done this myself and it is not difficult to do. The histogram on the camera is not RGB channels but a luminosity, which Is often similar to the green channel. So the histogram may look great but in fact one Of the channels, in this case red, is blown which kills the detail. selectively lowering the exposure In post can help a little in some cases it is not enough.

long ago i used to have this problem with my Nikon D70 which only had a luminosity histogram. Last week i had the same problem shooting flowers with my XE1. Histogram looked perfect but at home it is bad. Easier to correct if shooting raw, which I didn't, but sometimes that is not enough.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pachura
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, May 19, 2013

X100 does not have separate RGB histograms ???

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,719Gear list
Like?

it can be fixed in PS as a raw file.

Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
In reply to intruder61, May 19, 2013

shouldn't be very difficult to fix the raw in LR either.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to intruder61, May 19, 2013

intruder61 wrote:

Honest question: Isn't it possible that he clipped the red highlights completely, meaning he can't recover them in raw?

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
Like?
In reply to pachura, May 19, 2013

pachura wrote:

X100 does not have separate RGB histograms ???

I assume that your remark is sarcastic. If not, none of the higher-end Fuji cameras has RGBL histograms.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, May 19, 2013

BingoCharlie wrote:

intruder61 wrote:

Honest question: Isn't it possible that he clipped the red highlights completely, meaning he can't recover them in raw?

Absolutely. The OP even states that the raw data are blown as well. At least that's how I read his/her post. In that case, indeed, nothing much can be done. Lesson learned: it seems one has to be a bit careful with the reds on the Fujis, even on the X-Trans cameras. In this particular case, perhaps, one can pull it back a bit by using the data in the other channels, but the color would get distorted no matter what, so the final result wouldn't be authentic, unless one does some sophisticated color correction on top of it.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015Gear list
Like?
Use average metering

Average metering tends to push histogram to the left which helps in preventing 90% of overexposures. Not a perfect solution but makes the camera far more enjoyable for me.

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to nixda, May 19, 2013

nixda wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

intruder61 wrote:

Absolutely. The OP even states that the raw data are blown as well. At least that's how I read his/her post. In that case, indeed, nothing much can be done. Lesson learned: it seems one has to be a bit careful with the reds on the Fujis, even on the X-Trans cameras. In this particular case, perhaps, one can pull it back a bit by using the data in the other channels, but the color would get distorted no matter what, so the final result wouldn't be authentic, unless one does some sophisticated color correction on top of it.

Although reds are the most notorious for this type of problem the thing to watch for is the dominant color in the composition. for example, a shot dominated with grass or tress might blow out the green channel and thus lose detail in those parts of the picture. I have also had problems with blowing the blue channel out.

This issue is well handled if a camera has a Histogram that show separate R G B histograms as I mentioned above. Hopefully fuji will add this much needed feature in future cameras or possibly firmware upgrades.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,817Gear list
Like?

tamras29 wrote:

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what has gone wrong with my red tulips please?  What a mess! The sensot is not happy.

X100 - ISO 200 f8 1/400

Provia - OK I appreciate not the best choice, but its the same in the raw file, and nothing I can do fixes it.

I'm using Finepix.

Many thanks.

I started a topic related to this issue a few weeks ago:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51400664

If your RAW files are indeed clipped then there's nothing much you can do, but assuming that it is only the postprocessing of the RAW that results in the red clipping, you may find some useful advice in that discussion.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS 10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +12 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

AV, I have lots of 'red flower photos' that are exactly like this:  The rest of the frame is fine, but the reds just run away like our friend's tulips.  Aside from attempting recovery in PP, what would you aim for in 'getting it right in the camera' to begin with?  Ironically, I have red cars, signs, etc., and this doesn't happen there, but for some reason, really red flowers (roses!) are burning a hole in the back of my cameras (X10 and X-S1).

All the Best,
JW

Al Valentino
Like?
Blown Red channel

Below is a shot I took earlier this week. The picture looked great on the LCD and the Histogram confirmed it was okay because that histogram is only about luminosity (brightness). However, the RGB histogram shows the red channel is blown and as a result there is lost and compress detail in those hard red-magenta areas

The shot below is a jpeg. I opened it in ACR and tried to lower exposure and turn down the highlight slider. It worked in the sense that the right side of the histrogram was not a straight up/down line which is a sure sign of lost information. However, the result of doing that changed the distribution of pixels on the highlight end which created a horrible color shift by either lowering exposure or playing with highlight slider. Reducing saturation creates a different bad version. Again, this is a jpeg so I only have so much latitude. If this was shot as a RAW I would have more information to play with and possibly done better. However, there is a point, raw or no raw, that something get lost and makes the problem areas look artificial - because they are artificial.

It is a problem but not a terrible one since once you understand it and know to look for it, it all goes away. Just shoot raw and underexposure or use the exposure bracket mode... The above was shot in Velvia, which contributed to the problem, and I knew I could not trust the histogram. My mistake was I did trust the LCD (never scrutinized but did inspect) and it looked fine. Now I know the color space on the LCD is more limited than my computer and can watch for it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,407Gear list
Like?
Try this...

Try loading up the raw in Lightroom or PS and lower the red channel luminance a bit and saturation just a tad.  Not perfect, but it'll help those tulips.

-- hide signature --

JL Smith
www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith
www.clickingwithsmitty.com

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Re: Try this...
In reply to jl_smith, May 19, 2013

jl_smith wrote:

Try loading up the raw in Lightroom or PS and lower the red channel luminance a bit and saturation just a tad.  Not perfect, but it'll help those tulips.

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Allen Chernack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?

I have had blowouts on Yellow and Reds with my X-E1. I find if I lower exposer -1/3 or- 2/3, it helps.  Or, I'll bracket. I don't know what the 100 does or what settings you can make.

-- hide signature --

tourretired
Travel in RV when not home.

Allen Chernack's gear list:Allen Chernack's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Al Valentino
Like?
Re: Try this...
In reply to PeterPrism, May 19, 2013

PeterPrism wrote:

jl_smith wrote:

Fixes one problem but creates another, a color shift in everything, including the greens.

KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,563Gear list
Like?
Re: Blown out tulips look like software error...

Are you sure you have not adjusted too much saturation or something - that does not look like  normally blown out reds?  That happens easily, but then the color usually shifts towards yellow...

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Green? an opinion

Al Valentino wrote:

PeterPrism wrote:

jl_smith wrote:

Fixes one problem but creates another, a color shift in everything, including the greens.

we can only imagine the colors ...

and now Green Preserved !!!

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?
Re: Blown Red channel

There were reports of the red channel clipping since day 1. I too usually have this problem, red just turns magenta and not recoverable.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads