It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
Pjjava34
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
May 19, 2013

I'm ready to spend some bucks and get a great prime..the cost is not as important right now, but I'm not stupid with my $ and want to make sure the IQ will be worth the extra $400-500 for the Zeiss glass. I'm torn between the three options and wanted some guidance from others' experiences.

I shoot a mix of stills and videos and know that the Sony 35mm has the OSS but have heard it doesn't do much in the way of help for video. The Touit is scheduled for release in June and the initial reviews look splendid.

Do you guys think the Touit will out perform the elder 24mm Zeiss in IQ or video?

Should I skip Zeiss all together and get the Sony 35mm with OSS?

I'm not a pro, nor a pixel peeper but do appreciate sharp images across the board and lenses that can autofocus fast in video mode.

I'm okay with the focal lengths of them all. Any insight on which glass will provide the best still/video combo I greatly appreciate.

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

Go Zeiss!

It is the best.

You deserve the best.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,588Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to miro3, May 19, 2013

The Zeiss will be hard to beat and more satisfying. I agree its better to have less lenses but really high quality ones that lots that are compromises.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

Pjjava34 wrote:

I'm ready to spend some bucks and get a great prime..the cost is not as important right now, but I'm not stupid with my $ and want to make sure the IQ will be worth the extra $400-500 for the Zeiss glass. I'm torn between the three options and wanted some guidance from others' experiences.

I shoot a mix of stills and videos and know that the Sony 35mm has the OSS but have heard it doesn't do much in the way of help for video. The Touit is scheduled for release in June and the initial reviews look splendid.

Do you guys think the Touit will out perform the elder 24mm Zeiss in IQ or video?

Should I skip Zeiss all together and get the Sony 35mm with OSS?

I'm not a pro, nor a pixel peeper but do appreciate sharp images across the board and lenses that can autofocus fast in video mode.

I'm okay with the focal lengths of them all. Any insight on which glass will provide the best still/video combo I greatly appreciate.

I would include the Sigma 30mm as well. It is a stop slower, but it is a very impressive lens in its own right.

Sony has three video stabilization systems, OSS, SSS and BOSS. OSS is in the kit lens and the longer E prime lenses, SSS is in the 18200, and BOSS is only found in the handycams. These system arrest progressively more camera movement for smoother video.

All OSS lenses will arrest the typical camera 'jitter' that can make videos unwatchable. Even the 24mm, with the wider FOV, is not great for video usage. If low light video is a must have, consider the E35 or the E50 lenses, otherwise stick to the kit lens when you can (or go tripod).

If you do stick to the kit lens for video, you open up more possibilities for prime lens choices.

I have a feeling that the Touit 32/1.8 will be the most impressive of these four lenses, simply based on the Zeiss' formula, and on how these lenses perform in that FL with the Zeiss label.

Pros already are given heads up to the Touit lens: Diglloyd

Even so, Zeiss is stretching the Planar design down to 32mm, and the Sonnar design (E24Z) to 24mm. Traditionally, these FLs used to be Biogon designs. Of these three design styles, the Planar will score the highest in test-comparisons, especially wide open, as long as Zeiss can make it handle the FOV properly, which so far seems to be the case.

As to FOV, the 32mm (40mm FF), is a 'natural' FOV, but it heavily depends on you, the photographer, on how to use it. Natural meaning that when you look through the viewfinder, you roughtly see the equivalent of what you are seeing without a viewfinder. The 24mm makes you see 'more' (smaller) and the 35mm makes you see 'less' (larger). Even so, 32mm and 35mm are fairly close.

The E24Z is a much heralded lens, and from f/2.2 upwards it is unbeatable, but you have to like the 24mm FOV. Geometric distortion already creeps in, and you have to begin to get closer to your action, and watch face distortion (not a great portrait length).

If you want to play it safe, the E35 OSS lens is the most 'all-round' lens, that you can keep on all day and night. However, indoors, you may find its FOV a bit too narrow. (In fact, a 20mm may work better there).

And then there is budget.

I would recommend the E35, given the way you phrase your question. It is truly a good lens, and it is the most versatile of the group.

My second choice would be the E24Z, given its reputation, and the wider FOV which is practical under many circumstances. It really is the widest f/1.8 AF lens that you can get.

My third choice would be the Touit lens, even though I expect it to be the highest performer.

My fourth choice would be the Sigma 30mm, because at f/2.8 it is a full stop slower, without OSS, and does not let you be as creative with DOF/bokeh as the other choices would.

Also, do think about what other primes you may want to add in the future. Two typical series could be 12, 24, 50 and 16, 30, 60. Zeiss is now covering 12, 24(Sony), 32 and 50, while the Sony E35 and E50 are impressive lenses in their own right, especially given the inclusion of OSS.

And, something to consider, why not pick up the Gen-1 Sigma 18mm and 30mm combo at the discount price, and use these to get your feet wet with prime lenses? Then, as you evolve your shooting style, you may have a better feel as to what might work the best for you.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pjjava34
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to blue_skies, May 19, 2013

Pjjava34 wrote:

I'm ready to spend some bucks and get a great prime..the cost is not as important right now, but I'm not stupid with my $ and want to make sure the IQ will be worth the extra $400-500 for the Zeiss glass. I'm torn between the three options and wanted some guidance from others' experiences.

I shoot a mix of stills and videos and know that the Sony 35mm has the OSS but have heard it doesn't do much in the way of help for video. The Touit is scheduled for release in June and the initial reviews look splendid.

Do you guys think the Touit will out perform the elder 24mm Zeiss in IQ or video?

Should I skip Zeiss all together and get the Sony 35mm with OSS?

I'm not a pro, nor a pixel peeper but do appreciate sharp images across the board and lenses that can autofocus fast in video mode.

I'm okay with the focal lengths of them all. Any insight on which glass will provide the best still/video combo I greatly appreciate.

I would include the Sigma 30mm as well. It is a stop slower, but it is a very impressive lens in its own right.

Sony has three video stabilization systems, OSS, SSS and BOSS. OSS is in the kit lens and the longer E prime lenses, SSS is in the 18200, and BOSS is only found in the handycams. These system arrest progressively more camera movement for smoother video.

All OSS lenses will arrest the typical camera 'jitter' that can make videos unwatchable. Even the 24mm, with the wider FOV, is not great for video usage. If low light video is a must have, consider the E35 or the E50 lenses, otherwise stick to the kit lens when you can (or go tripod).

If you do stick to the kit lens for video, you open up more possibilities for prime lens choices.

I have a feeling that the Touit 32/1.8 will be the most impressive of these four lenses, simply based on the Zeiss' formula, and on how these lenses perform in that FL with the Zeiss label.

Pros already are given heads up to the Touit lens: Diglloyd

Even so, Zeiss is stretching the Planar design down to 32mm, and the Sonnar design (E24Z) to 24mm. Traditionally, these FLs used to be Biogon designs. Of these three design styles, the Planar will score the highest in test-comparisons, especially wide open, as long as Zeiss can make it handle the FOV properly, which so far seems to be the case.

As to FOV, the 32mm (40mm FF), is a 'natural' FOV, but it heavily depends on you, the photographer, on how to use it. Natural meaning that when you look through the viewfinder, you roughtly see the equivalent of what you are seeing without a viewfinder. The 24mm makes you see 'more' (smaller) and the 35mm makes you see 'less' (larger). Even so, 32mm and 35mm are fairly close.

The E24Z is a much heralded lens, and from f/2.2 upwards it is unbeatable, but you have to like the 24mm FOV. Geometric distortion already creeps in, and you have to begin to get closer to your action, and watch face distortion (not a great portrait length).

If you want to play it safe, the E35 OSS lens is the most 'all-round' lens, that you can keep on all day and night. However, indoors, you may find its FOV a bit too narrow. (In fact, a 20mm may work better there).

And then there is budget.

I would recommend the E35, given the way you phrase your question. It is truly a good lens, and it is the most versatile of the group.

My second choice would be the E24Z, given its reputation, and the wider FOV which is practical under many circumstances. It really is the widest f/1.8 AF lens that you can get.

My third choice would be the Touit lens, even though I expect it to be the highest performer.

My fourth choice would be the Sigma 30mm, because at f/2.8 it is a full stop slower, without OSS, and does not let you be as creative with DOF/bokeh as the other choices would.

Also, do think about what other primes you may want to add in the future. Two typical series could be 12, 24, 50 and 16, 30, 60. Zeiss is now covering 12, 24(Sony), 32 and 50, while the Sony E35 and E50 are impressive lenses in their own right, especially given the inclusion of OSS.

And, something to consider, why not pick up the Gen-1 Sigma 18mm and 30mm combo at the discount price, and use these to get your feet wet with prime lenses? Then, as you evolve your shooting style, you may have a better feel as to what might work the best for you.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Wow Henry!
Very helpful stuff...can't thank you enough.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pjjava34
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

Rereading the Post I'm curious as to why you would put the Touit in that order even though you think it will perform better optically?
Just to be certain Zeiss glass does not have any optical stabilization built-in correct?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

FoV is definitely a primary consideration - doesn't much matter how sharp or fast a lens may be if you are chronically feeling boxed in (or too wide...).

That's why I'm glad Sony went ahead and did the SEL24 first. The Touit lenses are enticing and tempting, but I know from experience that 35mm equivalent (24mm on the NEX-7) is my biggest prime lens priority.

 Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

Pjjava34 wrote:

Rereading the Post I'm curious as to why you would put the Touit in that order even though you think it will perform better optically?
Just to be certain Zeiss glass does not have any optical stabilization built-in correct?

Other may confirm this - the E35 is the most versatile lens (fast, sharp, OOS), but it also has the most limiting FOV. It is a great lens for when you have space to move around, but indoors, in social settings, when taking pictures of people in a hurry, the 35mm is not the best - you will want wider than that.

Even so, I place the E35 first - if you have no fast AF primes, then this is a very good baseline prime.

(Note - you get the same in the E50, but the FOV is even more limiting, making this lens even less practical).

If you weight the social and indoors aspect, the balance slides to the fastest & widest lens, which is the E24Z. This 35mm FF equivalent view has grown a lot of popularity over the years, (check e.g. the X100 and RX-1), as it is a very good FOV in crowded areas (think Asia), gives a reasonable overview in wider areas (e.g. a park), and works very well for group and food pics.

So, I place the E24Z second - mainly because of the FOV that it provides.

The Touit with 32mm comes very close to the Sigma 30mm. (It sits about halfway between the Sigma and the E35). This makes it a reasonable 'compromise' lens, but I have found the Sigma 30mm often being too limiting indoors as well. This would mean that the (narrower) Touit also does not give sufficient FOV.

Another discussion which I did not bring up is the subject isolation, background defocus, or bokeh. This is easiest achieved on a longer FL, and the E35 does best here. The touit Planar design should help here (compared to other design styles). Anyways, a longer FL lets you be more creative, so the E35 scores more in this respect.

I would handle the Touit32 similar to how I would use the E35, and that is with FOV limits. The E24Z has fewer of those limits. Hence I place the Touit third.

In short:

E35 - wins, because of OSS. Often a minor attribute, but for video, and certain low light shots, a plus.

E24Z - second, because of the wider FOV.

T32 - third, because it loses the main benefit of the E35, with the narrower FOV.

S30 - fourth,, because it is a stop slower, which also impacts subject isolation and creativeness.

Mind you, I still occasionally use the CV 35/1.4 Nokton and a Olympus OM 50/1.4 which achieve subject isolation that nether the E35 or E50 can match. I have also found renewed joy in using the Contax-G 45/2.0, since it is a Planar design, with a longer FL, as it gives more subject isolation than the CG 35/2.0 Biogon design.

I also have the Zeiss 35/2.0 in M mount, which has harsher bokeh, alike the Sigma 30, but it super-sharp  at all apertures. This is also a Biogon design, ie. a newer version of the CG35.

With people, super sharpness is less critical than subject isolation. If you shoot nature or architecture, you may want the inverse - sharpness over bokeh - and you also may not want to shoot wide open (narrow DOF).

Given all these considerations, I still view the E35 as the most 'allround' lens, and the Touit 32 merely an 'improved' ZM35. It may do better than anticipated - the closest lens to compare it with is the Contax-G 45/2.0 and the Tooit lens, at 32mm, should be a stellar design, and likely a 'pros-must-have' lens.

Pricing wise, the E35 is a no-brainer.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to blue_skies, May 19, 2013

Just adding that Zeiss does not support OSS.

My understanding is that is because OSS gets inserted at the narrowest point of the lightpath through the lens. This is also the most critical point in lens design and constraining the design or adding an extra element is likely to degrade the ultimate quality of the lens.

To Zeiss' credit, other than for video stabilization and for a more stable viewfinder view, OSS is hardly needed on a wide(r) FL lens.

If OSS is saving your bacon, it is because of poor conditions, that are selsom meaningful for pro-shots. Remember that a longer shutter time sounds great, but every subject movement now blurs the image.

You are often better of by bumping the ISO and thereby increasing the shutter speed. At the extreme, a grainy but sharp image is preferred over a smooth but fuzzy picture.

Now, for longer FL, shutter speeds need to be higher to begin with, and you'll notice more benefits from OSS.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

Someone posted links to various lens reviews recently, I am trying to find the links but I did copy the MTF charts for my own use. The gist is the SEL24 has great center sharpness but pretty bad edge and corners at all f stops.

I have owned the Sigma 30mm for almost a year. It is really sharp even at the edges and it is the most used lens I have. The MTF charts show this but I the proof is in the images. The 19mm is even sharper and I have been printing 16x24 landscapes from that lens. Both of those are my landscape/street lenses. I paid full retail of $199 when they came out, and at half that price if you can still get them, it's almost free glass.

That said, I picked up the SEL35 last week. It is also pretty damn sharp and DXOmark reviewed this recently. The reason I got it was to "replace" the SEL50, which although a decent lens I plan on keeping, it is too long for my indoor usage. For indoors, the 1.8 and OSS get lots of use. The only downside for me is the long (1 ft) minimum focusing distance.

I will continue to use both the S30 and SEL35 and pass on the Zeiss 32. I will be looking at the Touit 12mm though.

(The MTF charts are handy for determining best aperture assuming you are not going after DOF. I was used to shooting f/8-f/10 for my Canon lenses; the above lenses on my NEX-7 do better a bit wider than that.)

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Kott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to blue_skies, May 19, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

As to FOV, the 32mm (40mm FF), is a 'natural' FOV, but it heavily depends on you, the photographer, on how to use it. Natural meaning that when you look through the viewfinder, you roughtly see the equivalent of what you are seeing without a viewfinder. The 24mm makes you see 'more' (smaller) and the 35mm makes you see 'less' (larger). Even so, 32mm and 35mm are fairly close.

I agree with about everything Henry said, except his comments and arithmetic on Field of View.

First of all, 32 mm on an APS-C sensor will be a 48mm FF equivalent, not 40.

Second, 32 APS-C/48 FF is an awesome FOV. I know because I used my 31/1.8 Pentax on APS for years. The difference between 35 and 32 doesn't sound like much, but in practice I find the FOV of my 31 Pentax much easier to work with than my 35 OSS.

As far as the 32 vs. the Sony 24, you'll find that if you get close to people and try taking their photo they'll look more attractive with the 32 than the 24 because of distortion issues with the 24 (i.e., fat noses). Again, the difference between 24 and 32 may not sound like much, but when it comes to distortion and faces it will be noticeable.

One last thing - if you get the 35 OSS, won't you always be wondering how much better your photos will look with the better micro contrast of the Touit 32. I've seen Diglloyd's 32 Touit photos on the NEX 7 and I've ordered mine even though I have the 35 OSS.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Faketastic
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 19, 2013

How can FL not matter(?)- you're buying a prime and the FL is everything then.

That said, you need OSS for video and video without having the ability to zoom is rather boring/limited. I vote for the 16-50 OSS for video and then the 24/1.8 if you have the funds. For indoor shots the 24 mm FL will be very valuable. The Sigma 30mm is ok but the 35/1.8 is just not wide enough for indoor shots (and is too tight for nature, architecture et.c.).

Personally I think zooms are underrated

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Faketastic, May 20, 2013

Faketastic wrote:

How can FL not matter(?)- you're buying a prime and the FL is everything then.

That said, you need OSS for video and video without having the ability to zoom is rather boring/limited. I vote for the 16-50 OSS for video and then the 24/1.8 if you have the funds. For indoor shots the 24 mm FL will be very valuable. The Sigma 30mm is ok but the 35/1.8 is just not wide enough for indoor shots (and is too tight for nature, architecture et.c.).

Personally I think zooms are underrated

Zooms are way over-rated, but other than that I agree with you the FL matters, or at least it should. Buying the Zeiss 24mm because it's a better lens than the SEL35mm and then finding out 24mm is not your thing would be a terrible waste of money.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Jeff Kott, May 20, 2013

Jeff Kott wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

As to FOV, the 32mm (40mm FF), is a 'natural' FOV, but it heavily depends on you, the photographer, on how to use it. Natural meaning that when you look through the viewfinder, you roughtly see the equivalent of what you are seeing without a viewfinder. The 24mm makes you see 'more' (smaller) and the 35mm makes you see 'less' (larger). Even so, 32mm and 35mm are fairly close.

I agree with about everything Henry said, except his comments and arithmetic on Field of View.

First of all, 32 mm on an APS-C sensor will be a 48mm FF equivalent, not 40.

Second, 32 APS-C/48 FF is an awesome FOV. I know because I used my 31/1.8 Pentax on APS for years. The difference between 35 and 32 doesn't sound like much, but in practice I find the FOV of my 31 Pentax much easier to work with than my 35 OSS.

As far as the 32 vs. the Sony 24, you'll find that if you get close to people and try taking their photo they'll look more attractive with the 32 than the 24 because of distortion issues with the 24 (i.e., fat noses). Again, the difference between 24 and 32 may not sound like much, but when it comes to distortion and faces it will be noticeable.

One last thing - if you get the 35 OSS, won't you always be wondering how much better your photos will look with the better micro contrast of the Touit 32. I've seen Diglloyd's 32 Touit photos on the NEX 7 and I've ordered mine even though I have the 35 OSS.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Just yes, with everything you have said. 35mm on the 1.5 sensor is a tad long. on canons 1.6 its good. 32 is surprisingly better.(i used to use the sigma 30mm 1.4 and i preferred it over 35mm)

The 32 will be a better people lens(with more subject isolation). The 24mm will be a better indoor lens overall though.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

 Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pjjava34
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to JeffGo, May 20, 2013

Thanks Jeff and Blue-Skies!
I am starting to lean towards SEL35f18 and may skip the zeiss glass for now.
PJ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Pjjava34, May 20, 2013

I have the 24/1.8 and it's on my NEX7 99% of the time.  Although I can't directly compare the 24/1.8 with the other two lenses, I bet the IQ of  the two Zeiss are better.  As far as FOV is concerned, if the differences among the 24. 32 and 35 mm lenses are important to you, you have a much better feel for photography than I do.  I think the differences (especially between the 32 and 35mm)  are subtle.  I have 12, 24 and 50 mm primes for my Sony from Rokinon, Sony/Zeiss and Sony, respectively. As soon as I bring the NEX 7 to my eye, I know which lens I have on.  The FOV of these lenses are way different!

 Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 650D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pjjava34
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Alohaman, May 20, 2013

I have the 24/1.8 and it's on my NEX7 99% of the time.  Although I can't directly compare the 24/1.8 with the other two lenses, I bet the IQ of  the two Zeiss are better.  As far as FOV is concerned, if the differences among the 24. 32 and 35 mm lenses are important to you, you have a much better feel for photography than I do.  I think the differences (especially between the 32 and 35mm)  are subtle.  I have 12, 24 and 50 mm primes for my Sony from Rokinon, Sony/Zeiss and Sony, respectively. As soon as I bring the NEX 7 to my eye, I know which lens I have on.  The FOV of these lenses are way different!

Just to be clear, the 35mm with its longer FL gives the best subject isolation and portrait bokeh abilities of these 3 lenses correct?
This may help betters confidence in the decision.

Which lens would be the fastest to focus?
All similar or do you think the Touit will have better or more accurate focus abilities?

Lastly can anyone verify that OSS actually makes a noticeable difference in video stability at 35mm?
I have the original 18200 and know it comes with both OSS and Active steady shot built in and immediately after pressing the record button you are fully aware the camera's small shakes are being abated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Faketastic
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Tom2572, May 20, 2013

Tom2572 wrote:

Faketastic wrote:

How can FL not matter(?)- you're buying a prime and the FL is everything then.

That said, you need OSS for video and video without having the ability to zoom is rather boring/limited. I vote for the 16-50 OSS for video and then the 24/1.8 if you have the funds. For indoor shots the 24 mm FL will be very valuable. The Sigma 30mm is ok but the 35/1.8 is just not wide enough for indoor shots (and is too tight for nature, architecture et.c.).

Personally I think zooms are underrated

Zooms are way over-rated, but other than that I agree with you the FL matters, or at least it should. Buying the Zeiss 24mm because it's a better lens than the SEL35mm and then finding out 24mm is not your thing would be a terrible waste of money.

Why are zooms overrated? I see tons of pictures here that people have take with a prime that could benefit greatly from changing FL. Also, if you buy the zoom instead of either the 24 or the 35 would eliminate the problem you mention, right?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Re: It's time to shop...which lens SEL24f18, SEL35f18 or Touit 32f18?
In reply to Faketastic, May 20, 2013

Faketastic wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

Faketastic wrote:

How can FL not matter(?)- you're buying a prime and the FL is everything then.

That said, you need OSS for video and video without having the ability to zoom is rather boring/limited. I vote for the 16-50 OSS for video and then the 24/1.8 if you have the funds. For indoor shots the 24 mm FL will be very valuable. The Sigma 30mm is ok but the 35/1.8 is just not wide enough for indoor shots (and is too tight for nature, architecture et.c.).

Personally I think zooms are underrated

Zooms are way over-rated, but other than that I agree with you the FL matters, or at least it should. Buying the Zeiss 24mm because it's a better lens than the SEL35mm and then finding out 24mm is not your thing would be a terrible waste of money.

Why are zooms overrated? I see tons of pictures here that people have take with a prime that could benefit greatly from changing FL. Also, if you buy the zoom instead of either the 24 or the 35 would eliminate the problem you mention, right?

Thanks for proving my point, which is that you are certainly over-rating zooms if you think one zoom can replace both the SEL35 and the Zeiss24mm. But I could be mistaken. By all means, point out the zoom that is as fast as both of those primes, as light as both, and with the same IQ as both........

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
Pick the Zeiss with desired your most desired FL
In reply to Pjjava34, May 20, 2013

Pick the Zeiss with your most desired FL. Touit 32mm impressions definitely seem favourable. Doesn't make the 24mm any worse than the awesome lens that it is. I'd pick one that suits your shooting style the most.

That being said, I'm sure there are many of us in the forum who would like you to get the Touit so we can see some samples.

 J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads