Why I chose 6D over D600

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
socal4142
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Why I chose 6D over D600
May 19, 2013

First post here in the forum, hopefully I'll be around for a long time to come.

Ordered a Canon 6D today, upgrading from my Sony Alpha A57. My primary uses (and this is an odd combination, I know) are corporate video and personal portraits (with some lesser use for landscapes).

5D III, D800, and A99 were all out of my price range, since I had to save some $ for lenses too.

I went through all the reviews, etc. the same miserable process we've all experienced. I thought it might be of value to someone else if I shared why I ended up with 6D over D600:

• I really am someone who will use the low-light ISO, especially for portraits since I have to shoot natural light almost exclusively. I've had a some cameras that could take great pictures (Pentax K-x, Sony NEX C3, etc.), but I've always been frustrated that I could not push comfortably beyond ISO 800. 
  • Affordable lenses in the full-frame focal lengths I needed (better than Nikon for me). Even affordable used L-series lenses. 
  • More inexpensive MF lens options, including the very affordable non-ai Nikkors. 
  • The option of the L 1.2 lenses (at least for rental). 
  • The Canon world has a better video reputation, more resources available, and the possibility of Magic Lantern on the 6D someday is a nice thought. 
  • There is a clear video upgrade route to the EOS C100. No such thing with Nikon. 
  • Slight size / weight advantage of the 6D. The smaller the camera, the more willing I am to take it out with me.  

That's all theory right now, until it arrives. Then we'll see what the reality is!

Thanks for letting me jump on board.

Tim

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Pentax K-x Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jowill1026
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Why I chose 6D over D600
In reply to socal4142, May 19, 2013

I have another reason why I also chose the 6D over the D600. Quality control. The D600 has a massive dust/oil problem and I'm not willing to live with that considering the price payed for it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
socal4142
Like?
In reply to jowill1026, May 19, 2013

jowill1026 wrote:

I have another reason why I also chose the 6D over the D600. Quality control. The D600 has a massive dust/oil problem and I'm not willing to live with that considering the price payed for it.

You're right, that was a factor I considered also. I decided not to let it be a determining factor, since it seems like it's not a permanent problem, but it was another vote for the 6D.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,679Gear list
Like?
In reply to socal4142, May 19, 2013

I was considering getting 6D or D600 myself. D600 on paper sounds for still photography the better camera but the oil/dust issue which is still not resolved after several months was too much of a compromise. Canon is getting a lot of cred for winning the QC this time (I believe its had its share of poor QC in the past though - perhaps they learnt something Nikon needs to learn).

A few points here I would not have picked up like cheaper legacy glass.

Greg.

Josh Falcon
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, May 20, 2013

From ISO 1600, Sensorgen data showed that 6d has better DR than those of  d600, d800 and 5dmk3.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,415Gear list
Like?
In reply to jowill1026, May 20, 2013

jowill1026 wrote:

Well, I ran through the various data and decided to get the D600 with the awesome Sony sensor. Unfortunately, it arrived with a bunch of spots and I knew right away that I wasn't going to deal with that for as long as it take . . . not with a fresh out of the box camera. So I sent it back and went with the 6D. I haven't looked back and regret nothing.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
d3xmeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593
Like?
In reply to socal4142, May 20, 2013

socal4142 wrote:

Ordered a Canon 6D today, upgrading from my Sony Alpha A57. My primary uses (and this is an odd combination, I know) are corporate video and personal portraits (with some lesser use for landscapes).

5D III, D800, and A99 were all out of my price range, since I had to save some $ for lenses too.

I went through all the reviews, etc. the same miserable process we've all experienced. I thought it might be of value to someone else if I shared why I ended up with 6D over D600:

• I really am someone who will use the low-light ISO, especially for portraits since I have to shoot natural light almost exclusively. I've had a some cameras that could take great pictures (Pentax K-x, Sony NEX C3, etc.), but I've always been frustrated that I could not push comfortably beyond ISO 800.

I jpeg the 6D is much better. in RAW, the D600 is a little better, but so little I would say they are equal

• Affordable lenses in the full-frame focal lengths I needed (better than Nikon for me). Even affordable used L-series lenses. 

Yes, Canon has a bit of advantage, especially on the used market.

• More inexpensive MF lens options, including the very affordable non-ai Nikkors. 

Those can be used on Nikon too.

Yeah that really is beatiful glass.

• The Canon world has a better video reputation, more resources available, and the possibility of Magic Lantern on the 6D someday is a nice thought. 

Canon is clearly better at video, no question. Magic Lanter will 100% happen for the 6D, but it will never get RAW video or very high framerates compared with the 5D Mark III, becuase it lacks the hardware.

• There is a clear video upgrade route to the EOS C100. No such thing with Nikon. 

Yes, if you dream of that it can be a big advantage, buy the C camera and use your great EF glass you already own. It is tempting

• Slight size / weight advantage of the 6D. The smaller the camera, the more willing I am to take it out with me.  

I don't know either but hold them in the store. The D600 seemd a bit smaller to me. But really they are so close that it have 0 importance.

That's all theory right now, until it arrives. Then we'll see what the reality is!

Tim

It will be a great camera, that's for sure.

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488Gear list
Like?
In reply to d3xmeister, May 20, 2013

d3xmeister wrote:

socal4142 wrote:

I jpeg the 6D is much better. in RAW, the D600 is a little better, but so little I would say they are equal

Yes, Canon has a bit of advantage, especially on the used market.

Those can be used on Nikon too.

Yeah that really is beatiful glass.

Canon is clearly better at video, no question. Magic Lanter will 100% happen for the 6D, but it will never get RAW video or very high framerates compared with the 5D Mark III, becuase it lacks the hardware.

Yes, if you dream of that it can be a big advantage, buy the C camera and use your great EF glass you already own. It is tempting

I don't know either but hold them in the store. The D600 seemd a bit smaller to me. But really they are so close that it have 0 importance.

Tim

It will be a great camera, that's for sure.

It already has RAW video.  It will possibly not achieve the same resolution however (which means it will crop more).  However the results already are *stunning* and a vast improvement over any non-RAW video from other DSLRs.  Besides the 5DMKIII which will have an advantage due to 1000x CF cards, the 6D is also very good.  What is nice is achieving high low light performance + some crop + advantages of RAW (which is better grading and DR utilization, etc).

Latest development here -

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.1675

Examples are already pretty stunning.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
d3xmeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, May 20, 2013

Wow, that's good news. It cannot match the 5D Mark III however becuase the SD card slot. It will probably have much lower resolution on the final stable release. The interesting thing is that even a much lower resolution RAW could be much better even at resolution than the standard 1080p. Unfortunately RAW trough HDMI is not possible according to ML.

We should mention a AA filter is available for the 6D to help get rid of aliasing and moire..

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488Gear list
Like?
In reply to d3xmeister, May 20, 2013

d3xmeister wrote:

Wow, that's good news. It cannot match the 5D Mark III however becuase the SD card slot. It will probably have much lower resolution on the final stable release. The interesting thing is that even a much lower resolution RAW could be much better even at resolution than the standard 1080p. Unfortunately RAW trough HDMI is not possible according to ML.

We should mention a AA filter is available for the 6D to help get rid of aliasing and moire..

Yes it is very interesting but it seems that even at *RAW* levels the 5DMKIII is somehow different in its ability to be mostly moire free.  At first I thought it was purely due to pixel binning or descaling software algorithms but the RAW video hacks done so far seem to indicate that the 5DMKIII does natively do better with moire somehow.  This is interesting because perhaps due to my untrained eye I have not seen such a big difference in the DPReview studio shot.  But perhaps that comparison image is a poor test for moire...

The RAW resolution the 6D can *already* capture without frame skips is already impressive and sits between 720p and 1080p with an ease of being up-rezzed.  Some preliminary benchmarks put its write speed at around 40mbs per second vs other SDHC Rebels being half that.  5DMKIII however pulls in around 100mbs per second in write speed with 1000x CF cards.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10433/which-compact-flash-cards-for-5d-mark-iii-raw-video

I have my doubts that the 6D will make a breakthrough in write speeds above 40mbs.  The advantage of the CF card and the primary reason they are both larger and more expensive, is that the bus hardware/controller resides in the card.  While for SD cards the bus hardware/controller resides in the camera.

Either way however, the 6D by default will still get you nice 1080p low-light video by default, and it can get you good RAW footage as well, but the 5DmkIII easily still has the most versatility with its CF slots.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
socal4142
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, May 20, 2013

Thank you for your really helpful input on these things! Most of my video work ends up compressed on the web, so I think the data rates that the 6D can crank out will be plenty sufficient for me. I look forward to some of the video usability features that Magic Lantern can provide.

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,845Gear list
Like?
In reply to socal4142, May 21, 2013

it has a lower EV AF capability too... nice

enjoy your camera

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
In reply to jowill1026, May 22, 2013

jowill1026 wrote:

Massive  dust/oil problem? Seems a little over exaggeration don't you think.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to socal4142, May 23, 2013

socal4142 wrote:

Tim

good for you for choosing the 6d according to your needs,excellent camera,i went with d600,overcame my qc issues and now d600 is my "go to" camera for indoor concert shooting,both are excellent cams in this regard..the icing on the cake for me is that d600 can link it's spot meter to any of the 39 af points,crucial for me when metering on off center subjects at wide apertures..much better than focus/recompose at wide apertures.the 1D series are the only eos dslrs that can do this..not even the 5d3 has this feauture..im certain next generation canons will have this..im dual system user(1D MK2N)

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Sherwin V Ubaldo
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to t.c. marino, May 23, 2013

the icing on the cake for me is that d600 can link it's spot meter to any of the 39 af points,crucial for me when metering on off center subjects at wide apertures..much better than focus/recompose at wide apertures.the 1D series are the only eos dslrs that can do this..not even the 5d3 has this feauture..im certain next generation canons will have this..im dual system user(1D MK2N)

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

I just confirmed it now. I tried your statement on my 6D, 7D and the 60D the focus points are tied to the meter.
My settings are

• Aperture priority or Manual mode
  • Evaluative metering (Matrix in Nikon, I shoot Nikon on some occasion as well), Center Weighted or Spot
  • Manual ISO setting
  • It does meter on every focus points unless your shutter button is configured by default to half press AF/Meter Lock.

I will still try it on my 30D later thou...

Sherwin V Ubaldo
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to Sherwin V Ubaldo, May 23, 2013

My 30D acts the same way as well. The meter is tied to the focus points. Unless I am missing something on what you wanted to say but...

epozar
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to turbsy, May 23, 2013

turbsy wrote:

jowill1026 wrote:

Massive  dust/oil problem? Seems a little over exaggeration don't you think.

Certainly. I have both cameras (D600 for 14-24 ;)) and image quality is similar.

But with a MagicLantern - when available - 6D will be a killer camera

Emil Pozar, http://emil-pozar.photoshelter.com

schufosi777
Contributing MemberPosts: 649
Like?
In reply to epozar, May 23, 2013

OIL in one word.:-)

t.c. marino
Like?

Sherwin V Ubaldo wrote:

the icing on the cake for me is that d600 can link it's spot meter to any of the 39 af points,crucial for me when metering on off center subjects at wide apertures..much better than focus/recompose at wide apertures.the 1D series are the only eos dslrs that can do this..not even the 5d3 has this feauture..im certain next generation canons will have this..im dual system user(1D MK2N)

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

I just confirmed it now. I tried your statement on my 6D, 7D and the 60D the focus points are tied to the meter.
My settings are

• Aperture priority or Manual mode
  • Evaluative metering (Matrix in Nikon, I shoot Nikon on some occasion as well), Center Weighted or Spot
  • Manual ISO setting
  • It does meter on every focus points unless your shutter button is configured by default to half press AF/Meter Lock.

I will still try it on my 30D later thou...

my apology to all as i have given wrong information

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

t.c. marino
Like?

Sherwin V Ubaldo wrote:

My 30D acts the same way as well. The meter is tied to the focus points. Unless I am missing something on what you wanted to say but...

my apology to all for giving wrong information

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads