How to check shutter actuations

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Dylan Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
How to check shutter actuations
11 months ago

I'm trying so hard and nothing's working. I've tried multiple websites and Opanda with no luck.

I'm using a 50d and windows 7 and using straight off the camera RAW CR2 files and I either get "your camera must not give this information" or cannot find it in Opanda.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
--
Canon 50d gripped, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, 430ex II, Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap

 Dylan Johnson's gear list:Dylan Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
spacex
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to Dylan Johnson, 11 months ago

try this...

connecting the chamber with the usb cable

www.eosmsg.com/eosmsg.rar

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
corkpix
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to Dylan Johnson, 11 months ago

CaptiVision Photography wrote:

I'm trying so hard and nothing's working. I've tried multiple websites and Opanda with no luck.

I'm using a 50d and windows 7 and using straight off the camera RAW CR2 files and I either get "your camera must not give this information" or cannot find it in Opanda.

The shutter count isn't in the JPEG EXIF info. AFAIK, it isn't encoded into the RAW files either.

There are two ways of getting the shutter count from the 50D.

1.  Connect the camera to a computer using a USB cable and use utility software to extract the shutter count.  I have used Gphoto2 on my Linux PC to do this. There are similar utilities for Windows.

2. Install Magic Lantern on the camera. This allows you view the shutter count on the camera LCD screen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to corkpix, 11 months ago

corkpix wrote:

CaptiVision Photography wrote:

I'm trying so hard and nothing's working. I've tried multiple websites and Opanda with no luck.

I'm using a 50d and windows 7 and using straight off the camera RAW CR2 files and I either get "your camera must not give this information" or cannot find it in Opanda.

The shutter count isn't in the JPEG EXIF info. AFAIK, it isn't encoded into the RAW files either.

There are two ways of getting the shutter count from the 50D.

1.  Connect the camera to a computer using a USB cable and use utility software to extract the shutter count.  I have used Gphoto2 on my Linux PC to do this. There are similar utilities for Windows.

2. Install Magic Lantern on the camera. This allows you view the shutter count on the camera LCD screen.

There is also eoscount.com but that will cost you about $2.00.  You go to the website, hook up your camera with a USB cable, pay the fee and get your shutter count.

Another free possibility is EOS Info .  This is a program that you install on your computer and run it to get the shutter count via USB cable.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

 Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,990Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to Y0GI, 11 months ago

If you are the only owner , you can do a search for shot number like

IMG_2926.JPG , if more than one shows up add 9999 to it .  This only works if you save your shots to computer . You can get bad results if you have more than one camera = me XTI and 7D = same numbers , different pictures 
 tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dylan Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to Dylan Johnson, 11 months ago

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't want to pay for EOScount, I've tired a lot of websites and they all say my camera won't give them the shutter count. I don't know anything about magic lanturn but ill give eos info a try
--
Canon 50d gripped, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, 430ex II, Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap

 Dylan Johnson's gear list:Dylan Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to spacex, 11 months ago

spacex wrote:

try this...

connecting the chamber with the usb cable

www.eosmsg.com/eosmsg.rar

I wish that DPreview would go back to automatically create links with http addresses, but until then: Would you please use the DPreview buttons to make a "real" link, thank you.

  • Please use #1 for the Internet links
  • Please use #2 for the images links
-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dylan Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to spacex, 11 months ago

spacex wrote:

try this...

connecting the chamber with the usb cable

www.eosmsg.com/eosmsg.rar

This is the answer! Thank you! Very simple, also tells you the firmware and battery life of your camera. My shot count is at 5173.

-- hide signature --

Canon 50d gripped, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, 430ex II, Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap

 Dylan Johnson's gear list:Dylan Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TANWare
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to spacex, 11 months ago

Thanks, this worked perfectly............

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sergey Vasilevskiy
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to Dylan Johnson, 6 months ago

Dylan Johnson wrote:

This is the answer! Thank you! Very simple, also tells you the firmware and battery life of your camera. My shot count is at 5173.

This is code stolen from eoscount.com and modified in unauthorized way. This is copyright violation and a site banned from Google index. I wish you would do some more research before using and much less recommending illegal software.

Sergey Vasilevskiy

Owner of eoscount.com and all associated code.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,213Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check shutter actuations
In reply to Dylan Johnson, 6 months ago

Dylan Johnson wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't want to pay for EOScount, I've tired a lot of websites and they all say my camera won't give them the shutter count. I don't know anything about magic lanturn but ill give eos info a try
--
Canon 50d gripped, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, 430ex II, Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap

http://www.magiclantern.fm

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

 skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads