Wet leaves on a rainy day. (3jpg)

Started May 18, 2013 | Discussions
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Wet leaves on a rainy day. (3jpg)
May 18, 2013

All Pictures taken on the Bleach Bypass Filter, which I think can be quite fun to use.

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
samomatic
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Wet leaves on a rainy day. (3jpg)
In reply to Aidan Gibson, May 19, 2013

Really cool effect, very interesting toning with good contrast.

So this was shot on 35mm film? Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

www.samomatic.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,285Gear list
Like?

I like them... especially the third one.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
Why do they call it a "building"? It looks like they're finished. Why isn't it a "built"? ~ Jerry Seinfeld
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
In reply to samomatic, May 19, 2013

So this was shot on 35mm film? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and no, I took them on my K-5iis with the 35mm f2.8 macro which is a beautiful lens!

cheers

Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
In reply to math guy, May 19, 2013

math guy wrote:

I like them... especially the third one.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
Why do they call it a "building"? It looks like they're finished. Why isn't it a "built"? ~ Jerry Seinfeld
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

Thanks a lot!

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?

For wet leaves, you really have to get in closers and get ontop of them.  Shooting at this angle does not make for anything special.  And a P&S camera often does better for more DOF and the ability to get it real close again with that more DOF to get everthing in focus.  The major reflection in the last one is one that would have me delete it and learn from it.

Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,032Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, May 19, 2013

What's to learn ?

I agree with the leaves being larger and filling more of the frame.  This might be the same for dry leaves and degree of filling varies by what the photographer is up to, I guess.?  Detail would be easier to see if they were tighter.

Using a P&S camera can be a good tip.  The APS-C has a little more DOF to offer; the aperture used was pretty moderate. I figure she wants to use the Pentax.

A thing that can help, I think, is to look carefully at the axis of the leaf and where you would want focus to fall.  Just the same with anything, if the subject runs from side to side in front of the camera, more will be in focus than if it runs away from the camera.

With leaves, I figure holding the camera level is not such a worry.. as long as there is nothing that makes orientation look weird.  No bit of horizon or grass or branch (Picture 2) or etc.  So turning the camera some way or other can help put focus on the right spot.

As far as hot spots or bright reflections, I have wondered if white paper or tissue could help.  I haven't tried it outdoors, but I think it could help if you have a hand free to use paper/tissue as a dodge.  I took a picture of a slimy slug.  I like the picture but it is quite hot in spots.  Later, I thought the tissue might help but it hadn't occurred to me at the time.

Since I am not a leaf and slug hunter, I haven't tried it myself...  Just a thought to try.  Maybe a white umbrella could be easier to manage than paper.  Who knows.  Are these good recommendations for learning ?

RedFox88 wrote:

For wet leaves, you really have to get in closers and get ontop of them.  Shooting at this angle does not make for anything special.  And a P&S camera often does better for more DOF and the ability to get it real close again with that more DOF to get everthing in focus.  The major reflection in the last one is one that would have me delete it and learn from it.

Tan68
Like?
In reply to Tan68, May 19, 2013

Well, a polarizer would help with the reflection and that might be the better route...

The tissue idea wasn't to cast a shadow so much as to only somewhat cut the light and diffuse it even on an overcast day.  I do need to try it..  I have used it indoors with constant light sources when taking pictures of reflective things.

Anyway, hope the ideas help.

Aidan Gibson
Like?

With leaves, I figure holding the camera level is not such a worry.. as long as there is nothing that makes orientation look weird.  No bit of horizon or grass or branch (Picture 2) or etc.  So turning the camera some way or other can help put focus on the right spot.

Thanks for the tip.

I tried it but had to stop because of really bad rain. haha will try it again tomorrow.

Aidan Gibson
Like?

I figure she wants to use the Pentax.

* I figure he wants to use the Pentax.

cheers

Tan68
Like?

Yeah, I thought about this after it was too late to do anything.  I figured I would keep the foot where it was and see how far I had stuffed it.  Glad some bit of all that ramble was of some interest...

Aidan Gibson wrote:

I figure she wants to use the Pentax.

* I figure he wants to use the Pentax.

cheers

Aquaroid
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Well done!!! Like the colors!

-- hide signature --

dpr://galleries/489967037/photos/687959
By the rules I can't point out that my camera has an R letter in its name and the number ONE, but, hell, we all must obey the rules...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads