ki11ua
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
D800e sensor cleaning residue question
May 18, 2013

Hello,

I have wet cleaned the sensor using:

• Ultra MXD-100 (Fabric) Sensor Cleaning VSwab
  • and the Sensor Clean liquid (green cap - expensive one)

After 4 tries with different direction and pressure, and of course waiting any remaining liquid to evaporate, there is always some residue left behind, visible under a light.

After many tests it doesn't seem to affect the image quality, but I am worried for any long term issues with the D800e sensor.

Any thoughts or similar behavior?

Thank you

ki11ua's gear list:ki11ua's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,874Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e sensor cleaning residue question
In reply to ki11ua, May 18, 2013

I would almost believe it was the cleaner not working since the spots are not coming off. I think at this point you need to take it to a professional cleaner. Can you post pictures of the sensor?

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ki11ua
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, May 18, 2013

Sorry for any confusion, the cleaner works perfectly. No dust or oil remains.

But it seems to me that the liquid somehow leaves lines/traces.

Right now I cant upload images, but if I can't past over it, I will.

Thank you

ki11ua's gear list:ki11ua's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Todd Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?

Sorry for any confusion, the cleaner works perfectly. No dust or oil remains.

But it seems to me that the liquid somehow leaves lines/traces.

Right now I cant upload images, but if I can't past over it, I will.

Thank you

When cleaning my D700 sensor, using Eclipse, I always have to use a dry Pecpad last to get those smudges off and I only use 2 or 3 drops of the liquid to begin with! It works perfect every time. 3 or 4 wet swabs followed by 1 dry.
--
Todd

Todd Jones's gear list:Todd Jones's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Central Fla
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
In reply to Todd Jones, May 18, 2013

The first time I cleaned my 800 the fluid left behind a huge area of visible film.  I used a little less fluid and tried it again and no fluid stains.  Cleaning a sensor is like cleaning your eyeball,  it just scares the h*** out of me.

Varjohaltia
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
In reply to Central Fla, May 18, 2013

I just tried cleaning my D600 sensor with VisibleDust / SmearAway. One drop on each side of the swab, as the instructions said. One careful pass from one end to the other.

All the oil drops had become long oil smears all over the sensor, and the rest of the sensor was full of cleaning fluid film residue. Yikes!

Tried a dry swab, which cleaned away some of the residue, but only smeared the oil drops worse.

Proceeded to use up all the swabs in the packet, and I still have smears and cleaning film residue all over. Obviously I'm doing something patently wrong. The smears and residue seem to be less visible than the original droplets, though, for what it's worth.

The takeaway from this is that sensor cleaning is not necessarily nearly as simple or easy as some have suggested, and I'm seriously considering paying for a professional cleaning. (Unfortunately there's none in town that I know of, so it'd be weeks without camera for that.)

Varjohaltia's gear list:Varjohaltia's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
bills_pix
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
In reply to Varjohaltia, May 18, 2013

Just blow the sensor and LensPen tip with a Giottos Rocket Blower then polish away any smears with a Lens Pen.  I've had zero issues in 6 years using it to remove smears and am very, very fussy about my images.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenspen-LENSK1A-Sensorklear-Articulated-Tip/dp/B001QUIEIS

-- hide signature --

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?

ki11ua wrote:

Hello,

I have wet cleaned the sensor using:

• Ultra MXD-100 (Fabric) Sensor Cleaning VSwab
  • and the Sensor Clean liquid (green cap - expensive one)

After 4 tries with different direction and pressure, and of course waiting any remaining liquid to evaporate, there is always some residue left behind, visible under a light.

After many tests it doesn't seem to affect the image quality, but I am worried for any long term issues with the D800e sensor.

Any thoughts or similar behavior?

Thank you

If you're waiting for the liquid to dry, you're using too much liquid. The glass should be dry (wipe streaks disappear) upon swab removal.

Rags

Phillip S
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?

Varjohaltia wrote:

I just tried cleaning my D600 sensor with VisibleDust / SmearAway. One drop on each side of the swab, as the instructions said. One careful pass from one end to the other.

All the oil drops had become long oil smears all over the sensor, and the rest of the sensor was full of cleaning fluid film residue. Yikes!

Tried a dry swab, which cleaned away some of the residue, but only smeared the oil drops worse.

Proceeded to use up all the swabs in the packet, and I still have smears and cleaning film residue all over. Obviously I'm doing something patently wrong. The smears and residue seem to be less visible than the original droplets, though, for what it's worth.

The takeaway from this is that sensor cleaning is not necessarily nearly as simple or easy as some have suggested, and I'm seriously considering paying for a professional cleaning. (Unfortunately there's none in town that I know of, so it'd be weeks without camera for that.)

I have the D600 and used the Copperhill product. You can call and the owner will really talk and help you with cleaning your sensor. You might be surprised at what a few simple suggestions from him might do for you. Worked very well for me. Also, his system is much more economical than the others that I have looked into (but did not use).

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,746Gear list
Like?

First time I cleaned a sensor (D300), it took me 7 passes to get it done, each with a new pec pad.

You've used too much fluid, or didn't wait long enough after applying to the swab to let some of it evaporate.   Experiment with using a bit less, or waiting longer.

My method has been refined too:

1. rocket blower

2. sensor brush (optional)

3. lens pen (optional)

4. wet clean with Eclipse on pec pad.  I'm still using the bottle of Eclipse2 I bought in 2008.

5. check sensor with test shot.   It may or may not still have spots, but almost certainly has some stuff shoved into a corner.

6. if spots, repeat wet clean (15% of the time)

7. use sensorpen to carefully clean residue streaks (if any, from fluid) and dust that got pushed into a corner.

8. test shot.   Repeat some of above if necessary.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Mully410
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?

I don't have any experience with the product you are using but I had a heck of time with Visible Dust swabs and solution.  I took Moose's advice and went with Copperhill.  It's a lot cheaper if I do have to make several passes on my D4 sensor.  After some practice, it usually only takes one or two pads to get to perfect.  http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2012/06/11/sensor-cleaning-with-copperhill/

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?

After many wet cleanings, I have the hang of it.

-Google Copper Hill Images.

-Order the 18mm quikstrip kit (not the 24mm)

-Use a good sensor loupe (like the visible dust) to pre-inspect the sensor.

-Use a good blower and spend a good amount of time blowing out the sensor.

-Using the blower, blow on the swab to get rid of any loose fibers.

-Use 2-3 drops of  eclipse on the swab.

-Make one pass at the top with one side of the swab. Flip it and make a pass on the bottom with the other side.

-Repeat with a new quikstrip till sensor meets your standards.

You get 100 quikstrips in the package for a great price and he sells quikstrips alone for cheap. Much cheaper compared to what 100 traditional swabs would cost you. Much better for the environment since you are not throwing out a plastic swab every time. Works great and customer service is beyond amazing. The key is to not use too much liquid. If you are getting streaks you are using too much. Dont trush it and it is better to use more swabs with a gentle pass instead of using less swabs and pressing too hard or forcing it. I think this system is The best I have tried. Nicholas at copper hill images is awesome.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

After you wet clean, if you still have some smudges then use a dry pad and gently rub the sensor until they disappear. Then blow off any dust and you should be good to go. Don't be afraid of scratching the sensor, you won't.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Varjohaltia
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, May 18, 2013

Thanks, that was great advice!

Varjohaltia's gear list:Varjohaltia's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?

You are welcome

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads