If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions
Wei Kelun
Contributing MemberPosts: 509
Like?
If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
May 17, 2013

If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...I'd really love to hear your experiences. I know the basics, of course, that the 5Diii is full-frame, better in low light, more AF points, and has less noise; I know the 7D has better reach and a snappier (but more complicated) AF system that makes it great for action.

But I'm interested in hearing your personal observations and experiences if you owned a 7D and then added a 5Diii. Did one camera or the other suddenly become a backup? Or do you still take each one out for specific purposes? When you hold each camera, what is the first thing that comes to mind? What's the most meaningful difference to your work between the cameras? Do you see them as complimentary, or evolutionary?

Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

Wei Kelun wrote:

If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...I'd really love to hear your experiences. I know the basics, of course, that the 5Diii is full-frame, better in low light, more AF points, and has less noise; I know the 7D has better reach and a snappier (but more complicated) AF system that makes it great for action.

But I'm interested in hearing your personal observations and experiences if you owned a 7D and then added a 5Diii. Did one camera or the other suddenly become a backup? Or do you still take each one out for specific purposes? When you hold each camera, what is the first thing that comes to mind? What's the most meaningful difference to your work between the cameras? Do you see them as complimentary, or evolutionary?

Thanks.

Went from the 7D to the 5D3 shortly after the 5D3's release, and sold the 7D a short time later.  Actually, the 5D3's AF system is better than the 7D's in every way.  Not only more AF points, but also faster and more accurate focusing.  The number of misfocused shots I get with the 5D3 is significantly lower than I did with the 7D, particularly when I'm shooting at wide apertures.

The only things I miss from the 7D are its higher density sensor (giving it slightly more reach in focal length limited situations--e.g., wildlife shooting) and slightly faster burst speed.  Otherwise, IMO, the 5D3 is a better camera in every respect.

 bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

I just do travel stuff, and usually shoot with two bodies (try to avoid lens changes/dirt/accidents/missed shots/etc.).  I shot primarily with 5D2 w/24-70 I and 7D w/70-200 IS I.  Liked the reach and FPS of the 7D (AF wasn't bad either IMHO).  Have since changed to 5D3 w/24-70 II and 1DX w/70-200 II.  Miss the extra reach of the 7D, but the 1DX is good replacement.

 Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S400 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
troutbum96013
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

I've had my 5D3 for about a month. I was intending to keep the 7D as my backup, but when I saw the overall quality upgrade, I sold the 7D on Ebay. My reasoning was that I'd probably never use it again. Granted, the longer reach with the crop factor is a plus, but in my opinion, its the only advantage. The 5D3 will do anything (other than longer reach) the 7D will do, and do it better and faster. Whatever decision you make, take a long look at your 7D, cuz you might not be using it for some time.

 troutbum96013's gear list:troutbum96013's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
krob78
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to troutbum96013, May 17, 2013

I own both.  After almost 3 years with my 7d, I had serious doubts about the 5d3 with regard to any of my wildlife or BIF work.  I really only wanted it for my portrait work, which the 7d does not excel at with regard to high iso work or lots of noise in the shadows...

That being said, I've owned the 5d3 now since January 1st so just over 5 months.  I can tell you without hesitation that I haven't taken my 7d out at all since about February!!  The 5d3 is really that much better!

I had no intention as someone else mentioned of ever getting rid of my beloved 7d, yet I find myself wondering now, why am I keeping it?  Seriously... about a month ago, thinking that I wasn't getting a lot of the bif images compared to my keeper rate on my 7d, I took both out, one on the left shoulder and one hanging off the right...

I compared the images when I got home and found that not only did I enjoy shooting the 5d3 more when I was in the field that day, my keeper rate was at least 3 times that of my 7d images!!  I kid you not, the AF system in the 5d3 is excellent, far superior to the 7d AF system, which I have no issues with.  I studied it and practiced it and mastered it, but the 5d3 AF beats it hands down, over and over again...

My only dilemma now is, do I continue to keep the 7d hidden away in my camera bag as a back up body or do I sell it and get some new glass!  I can't believe I'm saying it but the 5d3 rocks and blows my 7d away!

You won't regret it!  And yes, sometimes I do wish the 5d3 had the 8fps.  In fact I wish for it a lot, there are times you don't get that "in between" image which may be the money shot but I'm sure with more practice I'll be getting my timing down tighter with the 6fps... I love them both but I love my 5d3 way, way more!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

I sold my 7D for the 5Diii about 12 months ago and have been very happy. I shoot mostly outdoor sports for fun and the only thing I miss is the frame rate, 8 vs 6 doesn't sound a lot but a few times I have missed the perfect shot. I would move to a 1DX in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

In terms of reach I don't have any issues, I use the 70-200 most of the time and have a 2x extender for when I need extra reach (e.g. cricket) I don't do much indoors nor any BIF so can't comment there.

As others have mentioned the AF is v good and better than the 7D once you have figured the settings out. Tracking players works really well and with a good lens the speed to lock focus is quick.

I didn't notice any difference in holding the two cameras, it was a very easy transition.

Other things that I like are the quiet mode, being able to shoot 5 or 7 frames in AEB and the grip for the 5diii is a big improvement.

Overall for me there is a big difference in that I am happier using the camera, happier working on the files in pp and much happier with the output, be that on the screen or prints.

It's worth pointing out that the 7D is a very good camera and I am not trying to knock it, just for me the 5diii does almost everything better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,286Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

I loved my 7D, best camera in it's price range in my opinion, but I mirror the thoughts of the others here, unless you are focal length limited there is no reason to use the 7D.  It's a great back up camera, but I have a rebel for that and my family likes using it more than the 7D (too big/heavy/complicated) so I sold my 7D.

 Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to krob78, May 17, 2013

krob78 wrote:

I own both.  After almost 3 years with my 7d, I had serious doubts about the 5d3 with regard to any of my wildlife or BIF work.  I really only wanted it for my portrait work, which the 7d does not excel at with regard to high iso work or lots of noise in the shadows...

That being said, I've owned the 5d3 now since January 1st so just over 5 months.  I can tell you without hesitation that I haven't taken my 7d out at all since about February!!  The 5d3 is really that much better!

I had no intention as someone else mentioned of ever getting rid of my beloved 7d, yet I find myself wondering now, why am I keeping it?  Seriously... about a month ago, thinking that I wasn't getting a lot of the bif images compared to my keeper rate on my 7d, I took both out, one on the left shoulder and one hanging off the right...

I compared the images when I got home and found that not only did I enjoy shooting the 5d3 more when I was in the field that day, my keeper rate was at least 3 times that of my 7d images!!  I kid you not, the AF system in the 5d3 is excellent, far superior to the 7d AF system, which I have no issues with.  I studied it and practiced it and mastered it, but the 5d3 AF beats it hands down, over and over again...

My only dilemma now is, do I continue to keep the 7d hidden away in my camera bag as a back up body or do I sell it and get some new glass!  I can't believe I'm saying it but the 5d3 rocks and blows my 7d away!

You won't regret it!  And yes, sometimes I do wish the 5d3 had the 8fps.  In fact I wish for it a lot, there are times you don't get that "in between" image which may be the money shot but I'm sure with more practice I'll be getting my timing down tighter with the 6fps... I love them both but I love my 5d3 way, way more!

Yeah. I also wish 5DIII can shoot at 8fps and has a 30-raw buffer even may require a power grid so it has more power to drive lenses faster as Nikon did on D300s/D700. I also hope its lens mount should be framed to the magnesium body directly rather on a plastic ring that mounted on the body. As a matter of fact I am afraid with 70-200L II, or 100-400L no mention 500L attached, it may break if I don't hold lens together that something I don't worry with 1DIII for example. However in reality Canon would not let its 5D line to threaten its 1D line.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapani Tarvainen
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

I'm keeping both for now. The 7D is mainly for situations where I want to use two bodies: on a safari or similar where I don't want to change lenses; when shooting stars or Aurora Borealis I use both simultaneously (on tripods with timers/remote controls); if I want to do time-lapse photography I can leave the 7D doing it for days or whatever it takes while I keep shooting with the 5D3. The 7D also acts as a backup in case the 5D3 breaks. But I don't really expect to prefer the 7D often, if ever. Even though I can see the reach advantage in ideal conditions, in practice 5D3 is almost always at least as good, often better, even though it requires more cropping. (There are also situations where 7D focuses better, but they're really rare - mainly birds so far that the reach advantage in viewfinder becomes critical, but then the resulting pictures require so heavy cropping they're useful mainly for species identification, not publishable.)

So, I'd probably prefer two 5D3s, but the 7D is good enough as a 2nd body for the time being, for me. Your mileage may vary.

 Tapani Tarvainen's gear list:Tapani Tarvainen's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BryMills
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Tapani Tarvainen, May 17, 2013

The image quality of the 5D 3- especially at high ISO is simply worlds above the 7D, the auto focus is marginally better - but not significantly.  The vast majority of my stuff is outdoor sport, every once in a while I'll look through the 6FPS sequence and know that the 8FPS of the 7D would have got me a better shot.  But the improvements in image quality way outweighs the FPS difference.

The crop factor is irrelevant to me.

 BryMills's gear list:BryMills's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

Love both cameras.  I had the 7D first and thought it was everything I wanted, but I decided to get the 5D Mark III to have better low light IQ and wide angle perspective on my wide angle lenses.  I craved the look of the 50mm 1.2L on full frame.  I hardly ever use the 7D anymore.  It mostly gets used by my friends who borrow it.  The AF system of the 7D is great and snappy as you mentioned, but on the 5D Mark III it's even better (by a significant margin).  The 5D Mark III takes the best of the 7D, improves upon it, and adds a full frame sensor.  The only thing missing is 8 fps, but I don't do a lot of burst shooting, and 6 fps isn't bad either.

 cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alton (TN)
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 18, 2013

I can pretty much concur with all that has bee said above.

The 5DIII is really a joy to use and the AF is really that good. A few other things I like about the 5DIII is the high ISO/low light performance, the silent shutter, locking mode dial, and just beautiful noise free shots.

That said, I still enjoy the 7D for birding, and appreciate that it give me more "pixels on bird" to work with. True enough, I have to clean up the noise (using mostly Neat Image) often,  but I do get some very nice shots with the 7D.

For me, the two cameras compliment each other perfectly well. I'm glad I have both and I still put about 80% of my shots for birding through the 7D. For everything else, it is pretty 5DII all the way. But lately, I've found that for the most part I prefer bird photography.

I'm anxiously looking forward to see how the 7D successor pans out. I'm hoping for thing things the 5DIII has, especially the AF and silent shutter, and unlike some, I do hope it has a higher MP sensor (pixels on bird).

So while I enjoy the 5DIII very much, I would also be an upgrade candidate for the 7D. I like having them both and can't imagine a single camera ever being able to do what the the two of them can do separately.

-- hide signature --

Alton

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wei Kelun
Contributing MemberPosts: 509
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 18, 2013

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful information. I've been very happy with my 7D, and up until now I've been thinking it would be a camera I wouldn't replace for years. But I just got back from a trip to China where there was a perfect storm of sorts; without intending to, I ended up taking a lot of shots that seemed to reveal some of the weaknesses of the 7D, such as they are. It's got me thinking about whether I'd be happier with the 5D Mark III instead. I have a real suspicion that that's the way i should go. I really love the 7D, but I think I may just love the 5D3 even more...

Again, thanks for the help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 18, 2013

I have had a dual-format kit for some years, and my 1.6-factor body has been a 7D since not long after it was introduced. Recently I upgraded the FF body from 5D Mark II to 5D Mark III. When I had the 5DII I sometimes used the 7D for general purposes because, sensor apart, I found it to be a better camera than the 5DII. However, the 5DIII is better in all respects than the 7D except for a slower frame rate, so I think my 7D will be used only for extra reach. Allowing for the different pixel count, the extra reach is, near enough, 1.4×, the same as I can get by attaching an Extender 1.4× and taking advantage of the f/8 AF capability of the 5DIII when using my 100~400. It will be interesting to compare these two routes to 560mm or equivalent. I suspect that avoiding the need to use the Extender may still win out. If it does not, my 7D may become no more than a backup.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,459Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 18, 2013

I too can agree with what has been said so far.  The 5DIII excels in every aspect except fps and 1.6X crop factor.

I have always grumbled about the poor focus of the 7D as I guess my expectations for accurate AF was too high and my lack of ability was too low compared to others on the 7D forum. The 5DIII is able to get more accurate AF with the same lens than what the 7D is capable of within my abilities for tracking birds under varying light and air density conditions. I guess others too acknowledge this when they say they have a much higher keeper ratio with the 5D Mk III.

I have kept the 7D as the camera body that can be left in my unattended vehicle along with a telephoto lens with the thought that I'd rather have it stolen than the 5D III.  So it still gets used when I decide that I don't want to first go home after work to get the more valued gear prior to shooting.

The 5DIII is twice the price of the 7D and was the price that Canon demanded in order to have a much more consistently capable body.  A successor to the 7D continues to be an ever longer waiting game with only unsubstantiated rumors. The decision to purchase the 5DIII was a good one as it provides better images when the focal length is not as much a limitation and with real world lighting conditions that are not always anywhere close to ideal. That high ISO 3200 and 6400 does work whereas the 7D would have turned the resultant image to sawdust.

 riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 7D HTC One
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Vant Land
Contributing MemberPosts: 515Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to krob78, May 18, 2013

I have similar feelings with my 60D sitting idle more and my 5D Mk III being used a lot.  Outdoors, when it's bright, the 60D does very well.  Three days ago I shot a graduation on a very windy day in a rodeo arena.  I didn't want to change lenses so I put on my 17-55 on the 60D and the 70-200 on my 5D MkIII.  I was really glad for a second body and plan on doing the same thing next week at another indoor graduation.  It's just very handy to have two bodies so you're not changing lenses.

I did buy a Black Rapid dual strap system and I was surprised with how comfortable it was carrying two cameras--one on each hip--compared to holding a camera and keeping a camera bag on my one shoulder.

Also, if I have something really important to shoot, I take the 60D and a few of its crop lenses along in a separate camera bag and leave it in my car.  The peace of mind of having a fall back camera is worth keeping it, especially when I couldn't really get that much for the 60D anyway.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying God and His Creation.

 John Vant Land's gear list:John Vant Land's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to qianp2k, May 20, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

krob78 wrote:

I own both.  After almost 3 years with my 7d, I had serious doubts about the 5d3 with regard to any of my wildlife or BIF work.  I really only wanted it for my portrait work, which the 7d does not excel at with regard to high iso work or lots of noise in the shadows...

That being said, I've owned the 5d3 now since January 1st so just over 5 months.  I can tell you without hesitation that I haven't taken my 7d out at all since about February!!  The 5d3 is really that much better!

I had no intention as someone else mentioned of ever getting rid of my beloved 7d, yet I find myself wondering now, why am I keeping it?  Seriously... about a month ago, thinking that I wasn't getting a lot of the bif images compared to my keeper rate on my 7d, I took both out, one on the left shoulder and one hanging off the right...

I compared the images when I got home and found that not only did I enjoy shooting the 5d3 more when I was in the field that day, my keeper rate was at least 3 times that of my 7d images!!  I kid you not, the AF system in the 5d3 is excellent, far superior to the 7d AF system, which I have no issues with.  I studied it and practiced it and mastered it, but the 5d3 AF beats it hands down, over and over again...

My only dilemma now is, do I continue to keep the 7d hidden away in my camera bag as a back up body or do I sell it and get some new glass!  I can't believe I'm saying it but the 5d3 rocks and blows my 7d away!

You won't regret it!  And yes, sometimes I do wish the 5d3 had the 8fps.  In fact I wish for it a lot, there are times you don't get that "in between" image which may be the money shot but I'm sure with more practice I'll be getting my timing down tighter with the 6fps... I love them both but I love my 5d3 way, way more!

Yeah. I also wish 5DIII can shoot at 8fps and has a 30-raw buffer even

If you use a 1000x CF card with the 5d3 you get at least a 30 shot FF raw buffer.  It's at 6 fps though. 

may require a power grid so it has more power to drive lenses faster as Nikon did on D300s/D700. I also hope its lens mount should be framed to the magnesium body directly rather on a plastic ring that mounted on the body. As a matter of fact I am afraid with 70-200L II, or 100-400L no mention 500L attached, it may break if I don't hold lens together that something I don't worry with 1DIII for example. However in reality Canon would not let its 5D line to threaten its 1D line.

-- hide signature --
 Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eorlingas
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 21, 2013

Recently upgraded from 7D to 5DIII and I've never looked back.  Sure the extra reach of the 7D was nice to have, but then I never shot that many wildlife to begin with.  Same goes for the slightly faster burst mode, which I do miss from time to time, but what I've gained from the 5D more than compensates.

If I had to describe the feeling of using 5DIII over 7D, I'd say it was liberating.  The FF really lets you concentrate on your photography without having to worry about noise and ISO.  Maybe this has more to do with me being not really a "pro", but for me it was exactly what I needed to further my photography skills.

I would say the biggest difference that you'd notice right off the bat would be iso performance, DOF, and dynamic range (probably the least noticeable of the three, since the 7D was pretty good in its own right).

 eorlingas's gear list:eorlingas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DigiMatt
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Shield3, May 21, 2013

Shield3 wrote:

If you use a 1000x CF card with the 5d3 you get at least a 30 shot FF raw buffer.  It's at 6 fps though. 

At lower ISO, I get a 23 shots on a 16GB UDMA 7 600x Transcend, and it clears in about 2 seconds or less. I was wondering what a Lexar 32GB 1000x will do, if anyone knows?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wei Kelun
Contributing MemberPosts: 509
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to DigiMatt, May 21, 2013

DigiMatt wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

If you use a 1000x CF card with the 5d3 you get at least a 30 shot FF raw buffer.  It's at 6 fps though. 

At lower ISO, I get a 23 shots on a 16GB UDMA 7 600x Transcend, and it clears in about 2 seconds or less. I was wondering what a Lexar 32GB 1000x will do, if anyone knows?

I'm playing with a 5DIII right now, and I have a Lexar UDMA7 1000x card. The manual says that we can expect 18 full-size RAW shots in a burst, despite the fact that the display in the viewfinder will only acknowledge 13 shots (this indicated on page 123 with the "18" shots indicated in parenthesis, and explained in a footnote on page 125).

So I tested it.

Shooting full-size RAW pics at ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 1/250, I got a 22-shot burst at 6 fps, with the speed dripping by about half starting on the 23rd shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads