Prints, canvas and books

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions
lovenikonandflute
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
Prints, canvas and books
May 17, 2013

I usually use MPix for prints. I am wanting to make a photo book and also a large canvas or board from a recent vacation. Who is the best for these in a reasonable price range? I am wanting to spend around 50-60 USD on the book and a little more on the large canvas. I started a book on mpix but wondered if there was something else before I finished it, as our wedding album came from them as part of our package and I would like a slightly improved print quality if possible-however we also got the basic book from them not the more fancy one so perhaps quality is better if you get the upgraded book? Have also heard about blurb-has anyone used both for books? Which is better overall?

Steve Dell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?
Re: Prints, canvas and books
In reply to lovenikonandflute, May 17, 2013

AdoramaPix has started doing books too. I've gotten a small one to test and was very impressed.

Paper quality is great and turnaround time is very fast. You design your book on their site, ala Blurb, but with more tools.

Check it out.

BTW, I have no connection with Adorama or AdoramaPix beyond being a customer.

-- hide signature --

Steve Dell
Tucson AZ
www.stevedellphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,689Gear list
Like?
In reply to lovenikonandflute, May 17, 2013

I did an online research and read all the available reviews for photobooks.  It did not seem that there was much difference between the vendors.  Everyone seemed relatively pleased but not overly impressed with the books.  I just went with blurb due to the software.

I have not done a comparison with canvas printing.  I had a gallery owner tell me that the best quality at reasonable price was from Artistic Photo Canvas.  The canvas prints did look good but again I have not done a direct comparison of my own.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim. www.specialplacesphoto.com

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 508
Like?
In reply to lovenikonandflute, May 18, 2013

I have done 3 books with blurb.com. Blurb is partnered with MPIX and does their books.

I have done "coffee table books" - 11x13" size.  All 3 have the dust-jacket type cover (personal preference) and are relatively large - the latest is about 80 pages and is the smallest I've done.

I have been quite satisfied with the quality of the paper and the color in the books.  In one case, the books (I ordered 4 copies) were produced with the wrong type of cover. When contacted, blurb reprinted and shipped the corrected books without cost to me and it was handled with quite reasonable speed and no drama at all.  In all my dealings with them, I have been pleased with the results and can recommend them.

Having said that, the only thing I find missing in blurb's offerings is a lay-flat binding option.  I have a new book I'm developing and it may have an image that will display best as a single image printed across 2 facing pages. Given my familiarity with blurb's book design software, it's disappointing they don't offer this.

I spent some time looking at other printers: Adoramapix, Meridian, Walgreens, Shutterfly, and National Photo Lab. Pricing the largest book for an 80 page printing, their prices are remarkably similar except Adoramapix, which cost about double all the others. There may be something about Adorama's printing that may make it worth the extra money; I just didn't want to spend that much.  Meridian and National offer the lay-flat binding, but their largest books are 11x8.5 and 12x8, respectively, a bit smaller than I'd like.  Decisions, decisions.

I did a little searching for reviews for each printer, and found an assortment of good and bad reviews of each - nothing conclusive IMHO.

lovenikonandflute
Like?
In reply to bflood, May 18, 2013

Thanks everyone. Perhaps I will try blurb this time around and MPix next-and then compare. What about canvas prints-any more thoughts on that?

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,465
Like?
With AdoramaPix
In reply to bflood, May 18, 2013

bflood wrote:

I have done 3 books with blurb.com. Blurb is partnered with MPIX and does their books.

I have done "coffee table books" - 11x13" size.  All 3 have the dust-jacket type cover (personal preference) and are relatively large - the latest is about 80 pages and is the smallest I've done.

I have been quite satisfied with the quality of the paper and the color in the books.  In one case, the books (I ordered 4 copies) were produced with the wrong type of cover. When contacted, blurb reprinted and shipped the corrected books without cost to me and it was handled with quite reasonable speed and no drama at all.  In all my dealings with them, I have been pleased with the results and can recommend them.

Having said that, the only thing I find missing in blurb's offerings is a lay-flat binding option.  I have a new book I'm developing and it may have an image that will display best as a single image printed across 2 facing pages. Given my familiarity with blurb's book design software, it's disappointing they don't offer this.

I spent some time looking at other printers: Adoramapix, Meridian, Walgreens, Shutterfly, and National Photo Lab. Pricing the largest book for an 80 page printing, their prices are remarkably similar except Adoramapix, which cost about double all the others. There may be something about Adorama's printing that may make it worth the extra money; I just didn't want to spend that much.  Meridian and National offer the lay-flat binding, but their largest books are 11x8.5 and 12x8, respectively, a bit smaller than I'd like.  Decisions, decisions.

I did a little searching for reviews for each printer, and found an assortment of good and bad reviews of each - nothing conclusive IMHO.

they currently have 30% off on their home page.

Sometime they have specials, 8X8 for $10.

Plus their books lay flat.

I have used MPIX and White House Custom Color along with AdoramaPix and Adorama wins.

Bob P.

bflood
Like?
In reply to lovenikonandflute, May 19, 2013

Unless mpix has changed, blurb is their book company. Hooking up with mpix to make a book actually hooks you up with blurb, who provides the software and does the printing.

Anyone out there know if this has changed?

lovenikonandflute
Like?
Re: With AdoramaPix
In reply to Petruska, May 19, 2013

Thank you! I did decide to go with Adorama since with the sale it's nearly the same as the others. What sold me on them was the laying flat, for two page spreads, and the photo paper as opposed to book paper.

Anyone have thoughts on canvases?

bflood
Like?
In reply to lovenikonandflute, May 20, 2013

Sorry, no experience with canvas prints. But when you have your Adorama book in your hands, please get back to us here and tell us what you think.

lovenikonandflute
Like?
In reply to bflood, Jun 5, 2013

Verdict is in: great quality from Adoramapix books! Live mine. Images look good, photo paper is nice and thick, and hardcover is surprisingly sturdy. Recommended!

lovenikonandflute
Like?
In reply to lovenikonandflute, Jun 5, 2013

Should read "love" mine

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads