Waterproof Backpack For DSLR Camera (Canon T4i)

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions
Combat By Design
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
Waterproof Backpack For DSLR Camera (Canon T4i)
May 17, 2013

Hey all!

I'm new to the forum, and I joined specifically to find some info on a good Backpack... and anything else I learn is just desserts...delicious desserts.

I'm shooting a Canon T4i with an 18-135 STM (Primarily), and a secondary EFS 55-250mm Lens. As of right now I'm not carrying any flashes, but given that the flash seems to slow down when it warms up, I will be getting a faster one sooner rather than later... but I digress... I'm looking for a Waterproof Backpack that can hold my camera, potentially a Tri-pod, and cothing, food, water, etc for hiking trips. Most of the places we go have all kinds of rivers and ponds that we wade through, and I would like a waterproof bag at risk of falling.

I usually just use my Dakine ride pack with my camera, lenses, and accessories in ziplok bags... but I would love something a tad more accessable. I found these two here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-40L-DSLR-Large-Camera-Backpack-Bag-Fit-17-Laptop-Canon-Nikon-Sony-/310647925578#vi-content

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40L-DSLR-SLR-Large-Camera-Backpack-Bag-Fits-17-Laptop-/260837061007?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item3cbb19b18f

Which are in a real good price range but unfotunately you often get what you pay for in the world of cameras and accessories. Does anyone have any experience with either of these bags, or have an suggestions as to which bag I should look into?

I kind of need to stay under $300...but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- Kevin

Combat By Design's gear list:Combat By Design's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
afoton
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: Waterproof Backpack For DSLR Camera (Canon T4i)
In reply to Combat By Design, May 18, 2013

Not a backpack, but I have used a Ortlieb aquacam with a chest harness. That bag is waterproof, and as I have it on the chest, the camera is very accesible at all time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to afoton, May 20, 2013

I'll be sure to check that out, though I'm a but wary when it comes chest mounting a camera at the river we go to (even a GoPro). We're usually wading though the rivers/waterfalls, and I often use my front as support against large rocks when going through these areas.... which is why I was looking for a backpack... because at this point, if I were taken down a waterfall it wouldn't matter what end my camera was attached to.
thanks for the advice!

Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to Combat By Design, May 20, 2013

Go to an outdoors shop, not a photo store. You need two dry bags for your electronics (camera, lenses, flash, phone, gps), one inside the other, for good waterproofness. The dry bags are polyurethane impregnated nylon or siliconized nylon with special waterseal roll tops - roll top of bag at least 3 times before fastening, and contents should stay dry. Properly double-bagged items should be dry after several minutes of submersion in shallow water. You would use a standard hiker's pack to carry your dry-bagged items.

An alternative is a portage-able large dry sack/pack, see: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/201  Still, I would put camera gear in at least one dry bag before putting it into the large dry sack/pack with straps.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
NancyP
Like?
The OP's pack selection is NOT waterproof, only water resistant
In reply to NancyP, May 20, 2013

Waterproof = accidental submersion will not wreck equipment

Water resistant = will shed rain efficiently, but will take on water if submerged

If you are boating, or hiking across deeper streams where there is some chance of falling in, you need waterproof. If you are just doing short hikes and are concerned about light rain, water resistant is fine.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Sigma DP3 Merrill
Combat By Design
Like?
Re: The OP's pack selection is NOT waterproof, only water resistant
In reply to NancyP, May 21, 2013

NancyP wrote:

Waterproof = accidental submersion will not wreck equipment

Water resistant = will shed rain efficiently, but will take on water if submerged

If you are boating, or hiking across deeper streams where there is some chance of falling in, you need waterproof. If you are just doing short hikes and are concerned about light rain, water resistant is fine.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

The OP?
And those Sea To Summit bags are cool, but would eliminate my reason for looking for a new backpack, as my Dakine pack is water resistant, and has plenty of space for my camera and other things such as a towel or change of clothing.
I had my camera stuff sealed in plastic bags, which was working... But a pain to get out when I found a cool spot to take a photo...and if I were to come across an animal... forget about it...
I suppose I could just purchase some of those waterproof pouches and keep doing what I'm doing...
A pipe dream from the start I guess.
Thanks a ton for your help.

Kannan Balasubramanian
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Combat By Design, May 22, 2013

Even I am looking for a Pro DSLR backpack where I can take out and put back the SLR with ease and provide water proofing in when dropped in rains and streams when accidently dropped.

As of now I have Canon 5D Mark III with 24-105mm lense. I am intending to have the following.

1. A 70-200mm or 100-400mm or 150-500mm
  2. A flash
  3. Additional battery
  4. Battery charger
  5. Additional space to have some spare items like clothes. (But this is not required all the time)

I was looking at the following 2.

1. Lowepro DSLR Video Pack 250 AW
  2. Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

Please suggest if any other ones.

Kannan Balasubramanian's gear list:Kannan Balasubramanian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Samsung Galaxy Note II
Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to Kannan Balasubramanian, May 22, 2013

Those are cool, but too small for my needs... I'm a big guy, so a 40 or even 50L would suit my needs, without giving me a hard time.
I posted two links in my original post, check them out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-40L-DSLR-Large-Camera-Backpack-Bag-Fit-17-Laptop-Canon-Nikon-Sony-/310647925578#vi-content

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40L-DSLR-SLR-Large-Camera-Backpack-Bag-Fits-17-Laptop-/260837061007?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item3cbb19b18f
They say "water resistant" but I THINK one of them has waterstop zippers.

sthlm
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Combat By Design, May 23, 2013

I scuba dive.  I have never seen ANYONE bring a waterproof backpack.  The de-facto route is to bring a dry bag or two.

You need two separate things.  You need a camera bag with a rain cover and you need a dry bag so that you can take your gear out and put it in there when crossing a river.

sthlm's gear list:sthlm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
NancyP
Like?
thank you sthlm.
In reply to sthlm, May 24, 2013

I suggested one of the ginormous (80L?) portage roll-top dry bags with pack straps made by Sea and Summit, a favorite dry bag maker. Portage bags aren't designed for long-haul hiking, by the way.

LowePro makes two purpose built waterproof camera backpacks, "DryZone". Mixed reviews.

Pelican cases with O rings are watertight and float, but they are hard cases with handles.

The ounce-counting hiker may be better off with small  nested sil-nylon dry bags, tossed on the top of a generic hiker's backpack. Or, buy one of the padded boxes with inserts meant to be used with a hiker's backpack, and double dry bay it. Don't squeeze out ALL of the air, it helps make the contents bouyant. On my usual hikes I don't cross deep streams and don't really need elaborate precautions. Lengthy unexpected torrential rain is unusual in my Midwest US location, there's time to deploy tarp and put pack in plastic garbage bag.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Sigma DP3 Merrill
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,972Gear list
Like?
Waterproof Backpack For DSLR Camera: Dryzone
In reply to Combat By Design, May 25, 2013

I have a Lowepro Dryzone 200 backpack. Its not so comfortable to use but it makes what it propose: in a cavern I submerged more than once into the water with it and all my equipment maintained dry.

Most complains I have listen is regarding to its zipper but if you follow the manufacturer recommendation to lubricate it and handle it carefully it fits its purpose sealing water from outside.

Additionally they have another model with same technology, the Rover. For my surprise they are currently available for purchase yet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=dryzone&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search

I think I have had it for ten years but I used it only a few excursions, probably around five excursions with a total 15 days as usually I prefer other bags and I have made very few cavern excursion in the last years. No problems so far.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

TheEyeOfTheOracle
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Combat By Design, Jun 8, 2013

Dear Combat By Design:

You may want to look at products made by Pelican or by their recently acquired subsidiary Storm.  I BELIEVE that they make waterproof backpacks, but I KNOW that they make waterproof cases.  The Pelican 1500 Case w Foam or the Pelican Storm iM2300 Case w Foam would be both be excellent starting points for your search.  Pelican has an extensive and informative website, but you'll need to order from an authorized retailer such as Adorama.  Good luck, and please post some of your pics from your trip here on DPReview.

Sincerely,

TheEyeOfTheOracle

Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to TheEyeOfTheOracle, Jun 12, 2013

Hey Oracle, I'll definitely give them a once over if not twice. Thanks for the advice.
I've looked into pelican, but I think if I go watertight hard-shell, I'm going to go SKB. They guarantee their cases for life, and whatever might be inside them...they also have a pluckable foam insert that you can shape however you want.
Thanks for the advice!
-K

Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to TheEyeOfTheOracle, Jul 15, 2013

So the best solution I came up with was the Seal Line Baja dry bag:

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/dry-bags/baja-dry-bag/product
between 15 and 40usd
It's not what I was looking for, but they fit in my backpack, and when I'm carrying it outside of my bag I can leave some air in it for extra bouyancy. It clips around my shoulder strap for *fairly* easy access, and I even dropped in the water already, and it's completely waterproof.
I also picked up a PLANO Tackle case for my extra batteries/cards (about 6usd) that is water tight and floats!
They're pretty cool, and I think'll do me justice for a while.
I'll try to remember to post my photos tonight.
Thanks for everyone's help!

-K

Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to TheEyeOfTheOracle, Jul 19, 2013

Pictures have been posted in my albums.
Thanks all!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads