Was fun while it worked

Started May 17, 2013 | User reviews
eric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,814Gear list
Like?
Was fun while it worked
May 17, 2013

Had this lens for about 5 years with my d70 d70s & d80. It was my #1 lens for a lot of that time. However the last year it started having a focusing issue. It would not AF under 14mm beyond 3 feet. The lens was quite fun but the glass is ok but not great. For my use it was not an issue and expected at the bargain price. Its not the sharpest lens and luckily the coolness factor of a 10mm shot distracts the common viewer enough that they don't notice that the image suffers from being average quality (it has a pretty bad DXO rating of 12 of 30).

Although I do enjoy shooting superwide I have been traveling more so I needed more coverage and didn't use the lens much the last year. I recently went full frame so Instead of fixing it I sold it as broken on eBay for $400. It was a fun lens but its the second Sigma I have had die on me and I am very delicate with my gear. Sure I got 5 good years out of it but I have had Nikkors last 20 so sadly I will probably pass on Sigma in the future and just save a little more to get better quality glass.

eric's gear list:eric's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +4 more
eric's score
Average community score
Nikon D70 Nikon D70s Nikon D80 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads