Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions
bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
young cat / LR export question
May 17, 2013

Hello all,

Here's a picture I made using NEX-5 with Canon 50mm 1.4 S.S.C., shot with f2.0, I believe.

The lens is well known and I am very satisfied with it.

But I noticed a colour issue when I was exporting this pic from LR4 to JPG. The exported version looks like it has a bit colder temperature than the picutre I'm looking at in Lightroom. I've tried to make a screenshot with the comparison but I am now really out of my mind or my eyes play tricks with me because I can't see no difference on the screenshot below, while I swear I saw that difference just a minute ago! The greens on the export are a bit colder.

I've tried looking up this problem but I did not find definite answers. My NEX is set up to shoot in sRGB and I'm exporting with the same color space. I am using Process Version 2012. I don't know where to look for solution.

I noticed that when I export completely unedited picture from LR (only with Auto-tone, PV2012 and Lens profile applied on import) then the export looks exactly like in the LR window. The cat image is of course heavily manipulated and this export looks different.. and I am unable to prove it

Please give me a hint.

Thanks!

above is Lightroom, below exported JPG opened with quick look and window laid over LR window.. the difference in temperature is noticeable.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,891
Like?
Re: young cat / LR export question
In reply to bzx, May 17, 2013

Super adorable!

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-F3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,872Gear list
Like?
Most probably - application color management problem
In reply to bzx, May 17, 2013

When Adobe export an image it partially convert it but mainly embed color management information. Because each picture viewer uses its own color management processing, and some applications or browsers doesn't use any, you might expect such a behaviour.

Maybe you can find few more answers here:

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200701_rodneycm.pdf

Nice image BTW

Hope it helps.

bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
yes, but..
In reply to verybiglebowski, May 17, 2013

I have read about color management in various viewers/apps, and I am aware that this might be the case, but then why unedited image looks the same in LR and in exported JPG?

I'm going to do more tests with other images.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Arnaud Frich
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to bzx, May 24, 2013

Which  is your screen ? With large gamut or not ? Is important because on a sRGB screen i don't see the CT difference between two pictures. Which profile is assigned in your picture ?

Sorry for my english, I am a french photographer !

micdair
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to bzx, May 24, 2013

I guess it could be that you are working with 16bit color depth in LR but JPEGs support only 8bit colors which means the picture is being converted when saved. (Same happens to the screenshot, when saved as JPEG). Just my guess.

micdair's gear list:micdair's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads