Sharing photos with non-tech parents

Started May 16, 2013 | Discussions
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
Sharing photos with non-tech parents
May 16, 2013

My mom has Alzheimer's and we are trying to figure out a way to keep everyone connected.  I thought I could buy a digital photo frame and my sis and I could email photos to it and they would auto-magically show up when Mom pressed a button.  We would need a way to caption the photo, and envision sending photos every day - likely from cell phone.  But it looks like they would need an Internet ISP account, which might be too much for them.

So then I thought "iPad with cellular access," but I think that means figuring out email and clicking on the photo.  This is still a possibility..

Or maybe a smartphone,and sent the photos text mms/text, so they only have to press one icon to get messages?  Smart phone screen is small for aging eyes though.

Then I thought that if they had to have Internet, maybe a PC that automatically access Dropbox or some other folder FTP find the photos? photos would be the ideal way I was thinking of keeping own daily contact -- iPad text messages might be best?

Texting photos is probably the speed and casualness I had in mind ...  Anyone else figure out a good solution?

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Re: Sharing photos with non-tech parents
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, May 16, 2013

If you went the iPad route (and you have a Mac) you could set up a shared Photo Stream, set their iPad up with access to it and drop the photos you want to send to them into the shared stream. They'll then show up automatically in the photo app on the iPad. This would probably work best if they have home internet access though as the cellular data will likely be more expensive. That's the simplest solution I can think of apart from getting a digital frame and emailing photos to it, which as you say is even simpler but would definitely require home internet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
janeenadamsmartin
Like?
In reply to alFR, May 16, 2013

Thanks!  I will look into that.  I don't have a Mac, but maybe there is a way to do it with iPads.  I didn't think about the photo size being much larger such that cellular might be more expensive.  Internet and frame might be the best way after all.

A Kindle waives the internet access when you download a book.  Whomever comes up with a "Kindle for Photos" will do great with the Baby Boomers who are going to need that as we forget how to do things, lol.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Carey Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
This shouldn't be this hard...
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, May 16, 2013

With all the technology at our disposal, where's the "simple as a toaster" solution? A long time ago I had seen a couple of picture frames that you connect via phone jack and push your images to space on an account and they magically appeared in the picture frame set. This, of course, required a paid subscription for the service, but was dirt simple. Alas, I don't think anything like that exists anymore. Probably priced themselves out of the market with subscription fees.

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
imax2k2
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to alFR, May 16, 2013

alFR wrote:

If you went the iPad route (and you have a Mac) you could set up a shared Photo Stream, set their iPad up with access to it and drop the photos you want to send to them into the shared stream. They'll then show up automatically in the photo app on the iPad. This would probably work best if they have home internet access though as the cellular data will likely be more expensive. That's the simplest solution I can think of apart from getting a digital frame and emailing photos to it, which as you say is even simpler but would definitely require home internet.

This is what I suggest too, and whatever you share on the stream will automagically appear in iPad Photos.

imax2k2's gear list:imax2k2's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
dodgyexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, May 17, 2013

I'm a bit old school.  I print photos and send them to parents/grandparents by mail.  Nothing beats holding a nice print, and they can put it on the fridge . . .

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
Re: This shouldn't be this hard...
In reply to Carey Brown, May 17, 2013

carey Brown wrote:

With all the technology at our disposal, where's the "simple as a toaster" solution? A long time ago I had seen a couple of picture frames that you connect via phone jack and push your images to space on an account and they magically appeared in the picture frame set. This, of course, required a paid subscription for the service, but was dirt simple. Alas, I don't think anything like that exists anymore. Probably priced themselves out of the market with subscription fees.

More likely it was that services from Cevia and Kodak demanded proprietary photo frames.  They were killed by online services like Flicker and Pic casa which let anyone see photos with nearly any device.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
janeenadamsmartin
Like?
In reply to dodgyexposure, May 17, 2013

I thought of printing them, too!  That maybe getting a letter in the mail every couple days with a photo might be a real treat -- something to look forward too.

But  I was really hoping I could make it more real time.  You know, taking a photo of dinner and saying "hi Mom, we are at Bentley's having dinner," or sending a photo of the cat or dog being funny.  Just nonsense stuff to make them feel part of our lives.  (in addition to good photos when I have them!)

I was at Costco and says the Galaxy Tab with 10 inch screen.  Back to the idea of a cellular plan... if we texted images from our phones (not email), the data plan shouldn't be that much, and I think they'd just have to turn it on and leave it on the "messages" app...

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?
In reply to dodgyexposure, May 17, 2013

dodgyexposure wrote:

I'm a bit old school.  I print photos and send them to parents/grandparents by mail.  Nothing beats holding a nice print, and they can put it on the fridge . . .

Realistically, I think this will be the only solution.

Some elderly people adapt well to new technology. I'm pretty sure there are many octegenarian + members of this forum who can personally attest to that. However, if your mother hasn't used computers etc... before, once signs of Alzheimer's start to appear it is probably a little too late to start.

Simple things like keeping the tablet/smartphone's battery charged could prove to be insurmountable problems depending on the severity of her condition.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
janeenadamsmartin
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, May 21, 2013

Thanks for your comments, Kupper.

it is amazing what skills are lost.  My mom was computer literate and it was one of the first signs that things were going down hill -- the biggest revelation was the classic "ask them to draw an analog clock face". And she couldn't...  My dad is 90 and sharp as a tack, but not computer literate.  I am hoping he can help.  He has been caring for her (83)all by himself these past two years...an amazing man.

But I hear you, I just want something involved them both involved, with snapshots being sent everyday.  Sending printed photos seems like a big effort to me, but maybe I am not looking at it from the right angle.  Maybe I can take a picture with my phone, send it to Costco for prints and send them twice a month... I dunno seems harder.

jan

dodgyexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, May 21, 2013

Personally, I print out and send myself, but I know there are online printing options where you upload your photos, then theyprint and send them wherever you want them to go (i.e. your parents).  It would take a couple of days to get there, but for you would be as easy as uploading.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, May 21, 2013

This may seem old fashioned and low tech  but you could print them and send them the prints.

-- hide signature --

Don

janeenadamsmartin
Like?
In reply to donaldsc, May 23, 2013

Thanks for everyone's thoughts about printing...it just misses the spontanaiety I hoped for.  Sending a slightly out of focus iPhone photo of a piece of furniture I like doesn't quite have the same engagement when received a few days later and now needs to be captioned by hand to explain why I sent it..

but that is how I  think we could stay in touch...maybe they would prefer prints.  I like the idea of sending directly to them, but I thin I need to caption them first

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads