Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,952Gear list
Like?
Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1
May 15, 2013

I'm starting a new photographic adventure and hope I'll survive 

i've ordered a used "like new" very old Tokina 17mm f 3.5 Nikon mount and bought the Kipon TS adapter

This topic has been discussed here quite a long time ago abd I would like to now if some over here have got experience in that field

Just want to add that's for architecture, landscape and fun !!

Any comment and advice most welcome

Thx in advance

bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1
In reply to baobob, May 15, 2013

baobob wrote:

I'm starting a new photographic adventure and hope I'll survive 

i've ordered a used "like new" very old Tokina 17mm f 3.5 Nikon mount and bought the Kipon TS adapter

This topic has been discussed here quite a long time ago abd I would like to now if some over here have got experience in that field

Just want to add that's for architecture, landscape and fun !!

Any comment and advice most welcome

Thx in advance

bob

-- hide signature --

I wish you the best of luck. I was just recently looking to buy a T/S Nikon lens to use with my current Nikon adapter, but prices are not cheap... I really want to try this field, myself.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baobob
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, May 15, 2013

The adapter is not cheap nor expensive (12°tilt and 15mm shift) for what it is

Fortunately I got a good price for the used lens (130€)

I'll report here when I'll acquire some experinece and interesting shots...

Thx for wishes!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to baobob, May 16, 2013

Hi Bob,

I think we both participated in the earlier threads on this.   I'm a former large format man and also had TS lenses on MF SLRs.  I love movements.  It always seems to me that there's something missing if you don't have them - they offer so much.   After size, the availability of adapters like the Kipon TS adapter are the main reason for me to try mirror-less.  I just don't get why more people aren't using them.........

I'm still currently a DSLR user.  I had an order in for an XE1 and I'd even bought a few MF lenses awaiting the day........ but I withdrew it when the X100s was announced with focus peaking.  I really want to have FP to assist with using tilt for landscapes and figured it won't be too long.  I'm still waiting - I'm going to buy whenever Fuji offer a FW upgrade with FP (or the XE1s or XE2 come out - I'm pretty sure they'll offer FP with the next model.)  I've got several other cameras in the meantime, and it gives me time to really look hard at the lenses.

The Kipon T&S adapter will be the first thing I buy after the camera and zoom......FWIW, I don't think the $300+ is actually that expensive for the machining and utility you get.

I'll look forward to your posts. I'd also been considering the old Tokina 17mm, though I've wound up buying a 20mm.  Enjoy.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
baobob
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, May 16, 2013

Thx Rod

The Tokina is being shipped today and is supposed to arrive befire saturday

The Kipon just left China so usually it takes 10 days to be home...(French post office is not better or worse, just post office...)

I got on the web some very interesting docs to start with

I'm wondering if I could manage the Ts lens on a simple monopod ?? that would be lighter than carrying all the time a monopod although my light one a Vanguard is too heavy but still rather big..

Stay tuned..

-- hide signature --

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?

Hi Bob,

I think it'll be quite possible to use shift hand held or with monopod or tripod, but tilt is more difficult to get right without repeated small refinements of the settings.......  I'm fully expecting to have to carry my tripod to make good use of tilt.  I've got a lightweight CF Slik which I'm hoping will do the trick.  I need to await a camera first though.......:-(

I look forward to hearing about your adapter when it arrives.

All the best, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Rene Delbar
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, May 16, 2013

Interesting... I am currently using the same combination: :

X-E1 + Kipon T&S adapter + Tokina 17/3.5

I received my adapter only 2 days ago, so my practical experience is very limited.

I am very pleased with the Kipon adapter. It is very well executed. The tilt control works as advertised  The shift control is very easy to operate, but the indicator scale can sometimes be hard to read depending on the unit's orientation (e.g. the hand grip blocks visibility). My only real concern so far is that the mechanism to rotate the lens mount over 360 degrees (with 30 degree clicks) is very stiff on my copy; maybe that will improve over time.

Full tilt and shift

I already owned Kipon's separate tilt-only and shift-only adapters. Compared to these, the new T&S adapter has several advantages: for shift, the range extends from 10 to 15mm and now works in both directions without having to rotate the mount; for shift: there is (finally!) precise control and an indicator scale. (The tilt-only adapter, in my opinion, is more targeted for creative applications, e.g. portraits or 'lensbaby' use, where you will adjust tilt amount and direction interactively while looking through the viewfinder)

With respect to the Tokina lens: I am somewhat disappointed by the limited image circle. You should not shift this lens (assuming horizontal frame format) more than 8mm horizontally or 10mm vertically. The few Nikon primes I tested easily do to 10mm/12mm respectively, with my AF 50mm f/1.8 copy allowing for 15mm shift in all directions. But you still can do a lot.

See these quick test shots:

15mm clearly hits the limits of the Tokina's image circle.

I have been looking for a long time to get an affordable copy of the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 to compare.

I will document further findings on this forum as we go. Looking forward to read more user experiences!

-- hide signature --

René
renedelbar.blogspot.com * 500px.com/rdelbar * www.pbase.com/rdelbar

Rene Delbar's gear list:Rene Delbar's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
svx94
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?

I got the Kipon TS adapter for $300, and it seems well made and produce good result.  It surely added lots of fun in playing with old lenses.  Recommended.

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
Dietr
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

I have one:  I use it with a Nikon 20mm f3.5 and a Tamron 17mm f3.5.  Both give excellent results.  The Tamron is much wider and for architecture it is much more useful. Here are some examples.

Shifted Tamron 17mm

Same lens unshifted

Tamron 17mm shifted to remove distortion

Same lens shifted to add distortion

The Tamron has excellent edge sharpness and makes it very useful.  This lens doesn't quite approache the sharpness of  a Canon 24mm TS-E, but at less than 1/4 the price it is darn good. The distortion of the Tamron is also a little higher than the Canon, but I found the overall experience to be fun and useful...with it's limitations.  I will post some examples of Tilting in a separate post.

Dietr's gear list:Dietr's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
baobob
Like?
In reply to Rene Delbar, May 16, 2013

Thx very much for this preliminary info, photos and first experience

I'll post on this thread when I get some test shots that are worth

It's surprising that a film lens has a reduced circle

That said it was not purposed for shift and after 10mm it's quite a lot

i'll see how I progress with the TS practice and to start with the Tokina investment was ok

BTW there are a lor of AFD Nikon 20mm 2.8 on e bay..and usually the max bid is around 200€..

-- hide signature --

baobob
Like?
In reply to svx94, May 16, 2013

Thx for sharing experience

What kind of lens you use most often with ?

-- hide signature --

baobob
Like?
In reply to Dietr, May 16, 2013

Thx for detailed info and posting results

Waiting for more !!

-- hide signature --

Dietr
Like?

Here are some tilted photos;

Tamron 17mm

Tilted and Shifted Nikon 20mm

Tilted Nikon 20mm

Tilted Nikon 24mm f2

Fujifilm X-Pro1
Dietr
Like?

Here are some more;

Nikon 20mm tilted and shifted

Nikon 20mm Shifted

Hope these help.

Fujifilm X-Pro1
Gaffman
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?

I think I also chimed in on the discussion last time.   Good to see you taking the plunge babob.  I also ended up buying the adapter a few months ago and have been using it with a Nikkor 20mm f2.8 & voightlander 40mm f2.

im on the iPad and half asleep at the moment but ill endeavour to show some stuff from this combo.  I'm also criminally lazy so you should hound me on these :). I found the 20mm is pretty darn soft in the corners until around f5.6 but its size makes it a treat to use on the adapter.   the voight 40 is such a nice lens, not a great range for TS but buttery smooth to focus.

(a fun thought with these adapters is that you could use some unusual combos, including zoom lenses!  Don't see that in real TS stuff)

-- hide signature --

'Focus Neo...'

Gaffman
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?

Rene Delbar wrote:

I am very pleased with the Kipon adapter. It is very well executed. The tilt control works as advertised  The shift control is very easy to operate, but the indicator scale can sometimes be hard to read depending on the unit's orientation (e.g. the hand grip blocks visibility). My only real concern so far is that the mechanism to rotate the lens mount over 360 degrees (with 30 degree clicks) is very stiff on my copy; maybe that will improve over time

I have the exact same issue with rotation stiffness.  Even after a few months.  It was so bad that after opening the package I contacted the eBay seller because I was sure they had shipped me a non-rotating version.  To this day I'm still only willing to turn it in one direction (clockwise looking at the front of the camera) because the other way feels certain to break my lens mount.  I also had no idea before buying that the tilt was only in one direction which kinda bummed me out but otherwise I'm happy with the build quality.

-- hide signature --

'Focus Neo...'

Rene Delbar
Like?

baobob wrote:

It's surprising that a film lens has a reduced circle

The Tamron 17/3.5 does cover the complete full-frame field, baobab, so I would not call it 'reduced'. What I found is that it does not extend much beyond that (and that might exactly have been what the designers intended). The Nikon primes (24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8) I tested so far all extend a bit outside the FF imaging circle, the 50mm doing so the most.

As an indication: if you mount those lenses (all of course originally intended for use on FF film or digital cameras) on a FF body, and you see visible corner/edge vignetting, you are warned not to endeavor too far with shifting...

'Real' T/S lenses of course are designed to have a much broader imaging circle, well beyond their fully shifted (full) frame.

-- hide signature --

René

Rene Delbar
Like?

baobob wrote:

What kind of lens you use most often with ?

So far most of my T/S trials (with the older, single-function Kipon rings) was product photography (with shift) or creative experiments (with tilt). Nikon 24, 35 and 50mm primes got the most use there.

I acquired the Tamron 17/3.5 a few weeks ago in anticipation of trying out the ne Kipon T&S adapter for some architectural and landscape work.

-- hide signature --

René

baobob
Like?

Thx

The lens should arrive before saturday, the Kipon next week

-- hide signature --

baobob
Like?
In reply to Gaffman, May 16, 2013

About you Voigtlander : whichmount, how do you fit to adapter do you get infinite focus ok

I have a CV 15mm M 39 mount was wondering if it could be used..as well

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads