Got my RX-100 today

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions
richard NO
Contributing MemberPosts: 786Gear list
Like?
Got my RX-100 today
May 15, 2013

...is there anything i need to know? tricks, tips? and what about ISO, i see that default is 125 but it extends to 100 and 80... What is best to use in good light, the extended 80 or 125?

I have been a sony user for years(a33,55,77,nex.6) and cant wait to test my new "hiking" camera out.

-- hide signature --

Photography for me is not about recreating what i saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way i want to see the world
Cheers!
Richard Larssen http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberdogleg/
-------------------

richard NO's gear list:richard NO's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
Re: Got my RX-100 today
In reply to richard NO, May 15, 2013

I'd go with base ISO 125.  Lower does not mean better.  DR can suffer at those lower extended ISOs.  I'd go with 125.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brainybrian
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?

Just check this link:

Sorry, not trying to be rude. Search the forums is not complicated, you can try to do it yourself. It's more complicated for us to explain the same thing over and over again to every user who buys a new camera.

Best Regards,

Brian

richard NO wrote:

...is there anything i need to know? tricks, tips? and what about ISO,

brainybrian's gear list:brainybrian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,356Gear list
Like?

It can be hard to judge the exposure, especially in strong light, so consider using histogram on screen and use the post-shot view with histogram and blinkies to optimise.

It took me a while to get to that stage, and since then, I have been getting almost optimum exposure each time.

I use M mode all the time, by the way.

Definitely avoid iso 80 and 125, unless there it's an easy contrast shot.

And of course, set the jpg iso noise to low.

I use the center button on the control dial for toggle af/mf.

It all works for me and is a joy to use.

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,874Gear list
Like?

richard NO wrote:

what about ISO, i see that default is 125 but it extends to 100 and 80... What is best to use in good light, the extended 80 or 125?

With a film camera you select ISO when you buy the film and put it in your camera. You are stuck with that ISO until you change the roll. Not very flexible, and expensive if you want to change ISO at a whim.

A digital is much more flexible and it makes sense to me to adjust ISO as another trade off variable between quality and speed. The easiest way to do that is to set it at Auto and let the camera manage the trade off on a shot by shot basis. The RX100 is nice in that it lets you set the ISO low and high limits it can use in Auto. My thoughts are that you set it between the best quality and the best compromise quality limits that you are happy with. If that is not enough then you can make the choice on a shot by shot basis to select something outside of that range. In noise reduction mode you can also set the ISO you want to use.

Last if you are frequently changing ISO from the Auto setting, then it makes sense to set ISO as one of your seven choices in the Fn button setting.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
richard NO
Like?
In reply to brainybrian, May 15, 2013

brainybrian wrote:

Just check this link:

Sorry, not trying to be rude. Search the forums is not complicated, you can try to do it yourself. It's more complicated for us to explain the same thing over and over again to every user who buys a new camera.

Best Regards,

Brian

richard NO wrote:

...is there anything i need to know? tricks, tips? and what about ISO,

Gee, what a welcome. I have searched, but i want have not gotten all the anwers i want so i went here to ask you people, if you dont want to answer(which you actually already did) then dont... its ok..other people might want to answer, the forum is a forum for a reason... i've been here for years, just not here in the cybershot forum.. you were trying not to be rude, you failed;)

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
richard NO
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, May 15, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

I'd go with base ISO 125.  Lower does not mean better.  DR can suffer at those lower extended ISOs.  I'd go with 125.

Thanks, i will stick to that in good lighting:)

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

richard NO
Like?
In reply to salla30, May 15, 2013

salla30 wrote:

It can be hard to judge the exposure, especially in strong light, so consider using histogram on screen and use the post-shot view with histogram and blinkies to optimise.

It took me a while to get to that stage, and since then, I have been getting almost optimum exposure each time.

I use M mode all the time, by the way.

Definitely avoid iso 80 and 125, unless there it's an easy contrast shot.

And of course, set the jpg iso noise to low.

I use the center button on the control dial for toggle af/mf.

It all works for me and is a joy to use.

Thanks, the AF/MF was a really great tip, will set it in the camera right away.. But avoid default 125, why?

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

richard NO
Like?
In reply to Ron AKA, May 15, 2013

Ron AKA wrote:

richard NO wrote:

what about ISO, i see that default is 125 but it extends to 100 and 80... What is best to use in good light, the extended 80 or 125?

With a film camera you select ISO when you buy the film and put it in your camera. You are stuck with that ISO until you change the roll. Not very flexible, and expensive if you want to change ISO at a whim.

A digital is much more flexible and it makes sense to me to adjust ISO as another trade off variable between quality and speed. The easiest way to do that is to set it at Auto and let the camera manage the trade off on a shot by shot basis. The RX100 is nice in that it lets you set the ISO low and high limits it can use in Auto. My thoughts are that you set it between the best quality and the best compromise quality limits that you are happy with. If that is not enough then you can make the choice on a shot by shot basis to select something outside of that range. In noise reduction mode you can also set the ISO you want to use.

Last if you are frequently changing ISO from the Auto setting, then it makes sense to set ISO as one of your seven choices in the Fn button setting.

Thanks, i have set my auto ISO 125 -400, but i will always stick with the lowest possible(not under 125 if i understand correctly here) if using a tripod. I use a nex and a77 and always stick with the lowest possible regular iso.. The rx100 i bought to use as i pocketable hiking cam.. i want the IQ, nothing more , i shoot raw.

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,874Gear list
Like?

Sony has this note in their PDF manual:

"When [ISO] is set to a value lower than ISO 125, the range for recordable subject brightness (dynamic range) may decrease."

It appears the ISO reduction is non linear below ISO 125 and dynamic range reduced. It may be an acceptable compromise if you want to shoot with the lens wide open to reduce depth of field, and have no option to use a neutral density filter.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
salla30
Like?

Oops sorry, i meant avoid iso 100. Go for default 125

There is a slight amount of grain at 125 at 100% but, it's an acceptable compromise for the better DR. I noticed it significantly during the winter month when I did a lot of snow shots. I was getting blowouts using iso 80 , much reduced using 125.

Thanks for reading.

salla30
Like?
woah there Brian :-)

Must agree with you Richard; Brian, if you don't want to offer reply then perhaps just pass over the post. No one is forcing you to reply. Many of us enjoy exchanging tips with new users, even if we've said it a few times. We're quite pleased with our long term knowledge and want to share.

This is the friendliest and most active and tolerant forum I have come across with most guys happy to help and offer non-cynical advise and recommendations, so we can post quite happily about most things without fear of meeting a hostile response.

And with only 20 or so posts, I'm a bit surprised you are so weary of it all already?

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?

There's no need to set the ISO that low. I rarely go below 200, and routinely use 400 or 800. When needed, I'm not afraid to go up to 3200 (6400 in one of the multi-frame modes). For example, here's one taken at ISO 3200: http://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/8716376211/in/set-72157633424928749

Sure, the quality is less than you'd get at ISO 200, but given the lighting levels, I think it works well.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
salla30
Like?

Very true.

In M mode, i have assigned the right button of the control wheel to iso, so i can quickly scroll up and down and select the iso optimally (as low as possible of course) in relation to the aperture and shutter as needed.

DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?

I submit fairly large batches of images to Alamy (a typical week at a destination may involve a thousand miles of travel around and produce 400-500 images). This on-line library will reject your entire queued submission if a single file has too much noise, or is not sharp, etc. I shoot using A99, A900, A77, NEX-5n, NEX-7 etc.

And guess what - I now also shot with the RX100 and I have the auto ISO set to 125-1600, and I've shot at 3200 without problems. Processed from raw, the images are generally as good as the NEX-5n and better than the A77 or NEX-7. The multishot high ISO JPEG modes are good enough for professional use. At low ISOs, even f/1.8 shots are sharp across the frame. With ACR lens correction, the geometry of the images is close to perfect so architectural interiors have needed no crop, no correction. All in all, it's the most amazing little camera I have ever used.

This shot was taken at ISO 3200 but after processing with controlled NR, and then reduction to 2400 x 3600 pixels (9 megapixel effective size) it was completely safe to include with pictures going to Alamy. This is the only concession I make, for high ISOs I will reduce the file size.

Take a look at this as well - and read the text (don't just look at the RX100 example and judge without reading the following post!).

Photoclubalpha Forum thread on noise in skin tones A77 vs other cameras.

The RX100 can, at the best, deliver a file for me which exceeds the 24 megapixels of the A77...

David

richard NO
Like?
Re: woah there Brian :-)

salla30 wrote:

Must agree with you Richard; Brian, if you don't want to offer reply then perhaps just pass over the post. No one is forcing you to reply. Many of us enjoy exchanging tips with new users, even if we've said it a few times. We're quite pleased with our long term knowledge and want to share.

This is the friendliest and most active and tolerant forum I have come across with most guys happy to help and offer non-cynical advise and recommendations, so we can post quite happily about most things without fear of meeting a hostile response.

And with only 20 or so posts, I'm a bit surprised you are so weary of it all already?

Thanks for the support, i could not agree more. and with 20 or so post, saying "us" in the forum... no need to say more:) I am used to a friendly tone in the nex forum, i hope this is a friendly forum too.
------------------
Cheers!
-------------------

richard NO
Like?

salla30 wrote:

Oops sorry, i meant avoid iso 100. Go for default 125

There is a slight amount of grain at 125 at 100% but, it's an acceptable compromise for the better DR. I noticed it significantly during the winter month when I did a lot of snow shots. I was getting blowouts using iso 80 , much reduced using 125.

Thanks for reading.

Ok thanks, 125 it is:)

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

richard NO
Like?

Ron AKA wrote:

Sony has this note in their PDF manual:

"When [ISO] is set to a value lower than ISO 125, the range for recordable subject brightness (dynamic range) may decrease."

It appears the ISO reduction is non linear below ISO 125 and dynamic range reduced. It may be an acceptable compromise if you want to shoot with the lens wide open to reduce depth of field, and have no option to use a neutral density filter.

Thanks, i will not be using a ND filter on the rx 100, for that i have the nex-6(10-18 and E-35). this is more of a snapshot camera for me, still i want the IQ and a small pocketable camera, a camera i can take everywhere.. lessoned learned, i will not go under 125, if  i dont have to(long exposures during evening , night)

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

richard NO
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, May 15, 2013

Digital Nigel wrote:

There's no need to set the ISO that low. I rarely go below 200, and routinely use 400 or 800. When needed, I'm not afraid to go up to 3200 (6400 in one of the multi-frame modes). For example, here's one taken at ISO 3200: http://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/8716376211/in/set-72157633424928749

Sure, the quality is less than you'd get at ISO 200, but given the lighting levels, I think it works well.

Thanks! your shot is great, it must have been a dream walking the streets of pyongyang.. great shots , i have checked out you flickr page. ISO lesson learned

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

richard NO
Like?

salla30 wrote:

Very true.

In M mode, i have assigned the right button of the control wheel to iso, so i can quickly scroll up and down and select the iso optimally (as low as possible of course) in relation to the aperture and shutter as needed.

i agree, M is the way to go. i always shoot M og A.

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
-------------------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads