Cheer up everyone!

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,196Gear list
Like?
Cheer up everyone!
May 15, 2013

4/3 Rumors claims 3 new Olympus models within the next three of four months -- including the new E-5 replacement. They have rated the rumor at FT-5 -- their highest level of confidence.

Let the rejoicing begin:-) -- Unless of course you're a 'glass half empty' person!

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
elbows2
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Re: Cheer up everyone!
In reply to daddyo, May 15, 2013

The roller coaster goes up, the roller coaster goes down . . . the roller coaster goes up, the roller coaster goes down . . . etc., etc., etc.

John

-- hide signature --

Everything I need to know I learned at the rink:
Keep your head up, your knees bent & your stick on the ice.
http://www.jlhemingwayphotos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
my glass is half empty

daddyo wrote:

4/3 Rumors claims 3 new Olympus models within the next three of four months -- including the new E-5 replacement. They have rated the rumor at FT-5 -- their highest level of confidence.

Let the rejoicing begin:-) -- Unless of course you're a 'glass half empty' person!

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

because i drink from it, and then it soon becomes fully empty

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: my glass is half empty
In reply to illy, May 15, 2013

illy wrote:

daddyo wrote:

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

because i drink from it, and then it soon becomes fully empty

Best line was from the roasting of bush on half empty glasses, have you seen it?

Colbert is talking about Bush's approval rating being at about 30% and then goes on to mention a cup half full.. well he says, this cups more like a third full, but I wouldn't drink it, the last third is usually backwash

If you haven't seen it, look it up.

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Karaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973Gear list
Like?

Count me as officially cheered up! Now, if we would only get some specifics...

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +2 more
Harri Fin H5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347Gear list
Like?

need to start to save money ,,,my pension

-- hide signature --

Harri

Harri Fin H5's gear list:Harri Fin H5's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
dharma108
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,548Gear list
Like?

Yep--I'm already looking at the bank balance--unfortunately, that's nowhere near half-full!

dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +25 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,049
Like?
In reply to dharma108, May 15, 2013

I do the opposite... I look at my Amazon card to see how close to zero it is. I know, shouldn't use CC's, but at least I've paid back the balance so far before the interest kicks in.... got me though a few cameras and lenses so far.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,801Gear list
Like?

daddyo wrote:

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

The proof is in the pudding.....or in this case the camera body or bodies.  I will happily rejoice the day Olympus announces them, and then potentially dust off the pocketbook.

Thanks for sharing in any case, I had gone weeks without a rumor here.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, May 15, 2013

I was at Yosemite this past weekend with the 7-14mm and 35-100mm lenses mounted on my E-5 and E-30 respectively  Great gear and good weather is plenty for me to be cheerful about.

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,284Gear list
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 16, 2013

Will Olympus hold of specific details to get a jump on competition brands?  Or is it too late for that?

Thane

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
In reply to daddyo, May 16, 2013

Yay!!!! Give me the new sensor with our stellar lenses and I can't imagine wanting/needing anything more for a long time!

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?
In reply to OlyChamp, May 16, 2013

it would be unusual for them to release more than token information until release

so while we know theres an E5 replacement, and weve been told its a little smaller, between E5 and GH3
we dont know if its a straight SLR or some sort of variant

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,196Gear list
Like?
Darrell...
In reply to Darrell500, May 16, 2013

I imagine it will have quite a few upgrades, including the 5 axis IBIS -- which, if you haven't used it, is downright amazing.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Roger Engelken
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, May 16, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

I was at Yosemite this past weekend with the 7-14mm and 35-100mm lenses mounted on my E-5 and E-30 respectively  Great gear and good weather is plenty for me to be cheerful about.

Amen...very true.  Being behind the lens is always more agreeable than speculating about something that may or may not happen, well most of the time anyhow.  

Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Stefan Kaben
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,616Gear list
Like?
In reply to daddyo, May 18, 2013

Well, my trusty E3 fell off a mountain in Colorado last month; it took a lickin' but keeps on tickin'. More or less any way. But I know it's days are numbered. The timing of a new replacement works for me. And now that the house is paid off, I might be able to afford it! I'm smiling.

-- hide signature --
 Stefan Kaben's gear list:Stefan Kaben's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Roger Engelken
Like?
In reply to Stefan Kaben, May 18, 2013

Stefan Kaben wrote:

Well, my trusty E3 fell off a mountain in Colorado last month; it took a lickin' but keeps on tickin'. More or less any way. But I know it's days are numbered. The timing of a new replacement works for me. And now that the house is paid off, I might be able to afford it! I'm smiling.

-- hide signature --

Thus far I have been fortunate not to drop any cameras.  Which part of our state where you in?

Stefan Kaben
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,616Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, May 18, 2013

Mostly in Denver for work. I lived there for about ten years some time ago and it was great to see some old friends when I had a little down time. Then, a couple of all-too-quick days in and around Colorado Springs.

The camera mishap occurred in the Garden of the Gods -- the viewfinder glass in the eyepiece is cracked and the entire viewfinder assembly is now noticeably askew and separated from the rest of the body. I'm sure that the weatherproofing is thoroughly compromised. Amazingly, I've adapted my technique because the pics still come out just the way I expect them! Still, that machine is not long for this world, I fear. And I'm quite certain that the repair would be too costly to make sense. Heavy sigh ...

-- hide signature --
 Stefan Kaben's gear list:Stefan Kaben's gear list
Olympus E-M1
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,048
Like?
I will be unlike myself for a change, and sulk a bit
In reply to daddyo, May 18, 2013

daddyo wrote:

Most here will know me as generally a positive person.

Well, let me be unlike myself for once and say that I am not overly thrilled by the concept of a possible E-7 on the way.

That is because I would be more thrilled by definite news of the long-awaited camera body that will be one body "to unite and rule them all" : the "hybrid" that will unite FT and µFT for those with FT lenses and a desire to use them on µFT bodies (but use also µFT lenses on that camera).

Last year I took my first step towards µFT with the purchase of an E-M5.  I love that little camera and the lenses I have accumulated since then : the versatile 12-50 is just versatile, but I am having much fun with the Pany 20mm, the Oly 45mm and the Voigtländer 17.5mm.

I still enjoy my E-5 and would like a path forward for the excellent lenses I use on that camera, but I would have really liked it to be a mutual path with µFT (even without mirror but with a great EVF and good AF).

The news/confirmed rumor of an E-7 tells me that the merger of the system is not yet planned for the near future.  It tells me that I will maintain essentially dual systems for another while : compatible but not unified.  It tells me that my upgrade path (roughly one body every two years, with the two older ones still being used frequently : currently E-M5 and E-5 and E-3) will force me to prioritize which next body to invest in.  And the choice will probably be : something to replace the old E-3 and make FT again my prime system with µFT as "fun" and "back-up" system.  And not get the E-M5 replacement but skip a generation there.

I would really have preferred not to have to make that choice, with a single and unified path forward : get the HYBRID (let's call it E-M6) that would offer me a choice for any occasion between using two µFT bodies (E-M6 and E-M5) or two bodies that work perfectly with FT lenses (E-M6 and E-5).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads