Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,271
Like?
Re: Combining images
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 18, 2013

faith_ps wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

I still trying to get the hang of the layouting.

You are not trying to use the driver to layout multiple images, are you?

Photoshop doesn't deal with multiple images, you would have to combine images to make one, and that isn't very useful. But most other editing and cataloging programs will do a much better job with image layout than the driver: Lightroom, Aperture, QImage (Win only), etc.

If you ae using the driver for print layout, you are the first person I have heard of doing it.

Brian A

Yes Brian. As you can see, these few days is all about trial and error. Trying to keep error to the minimum though.

I did combine four images to fit in one A1 size and use the A1 roll banner on the 24". It's a success. Results are fantastic. Tried the 1440 best dpi on the Premium Lustre and switch to matt blk on the free dobleweight for B/W prints at 720dpi best. It's all sooo goood.

Meantime, I'll keep reading the manual to understand better.

I would strongly suggest working with a program for layout, the driver is really basic that way.

There are couple of flaws with Epson Bouble Weight Matte: it is very difficult to handle without getting compression creases, and it is on a 2 inch core.

Why 720 dpi? I don't think I have ever printed as low as that even on uncoated plain paper.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 18, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Photoshop doesn't deal with multiple images, you would have to combine images to make one, and that isn't very useful. But most other editing and cataloging programs will do a much better job with image layout than the driver: Lightroom, Aperture, QImage (Win only), etc.

If you ae using the driver for print layout, you are the first person I have heard of doing it.

Brian A

Yes Brian. As you can see, these few days is all about trial and error. Trying to keep error to the minimum though.

I did combine four images to fit in one A1 size and use the A1 roll banner on the 24". It's a success. Results are fantastic. Tried the 1440 best dpi on the Premium Lustre and switch to matt blk on the free dobleweight for B/W prints at 720dpi best. It's all sooo goood.

I would strongly suggest working with a program for layout, the driver is really basic that way.

There are couple of flaws with Epson Bouble Weight Matte: it is very difficult to handle without getting compression creases, and it is on a 2 inch core.

Why 720 dpi? I don't think I have ever printed as low as that even on uncoated plain paper.

Brian A

Hello Brian,

It's all a test. On a 720 dpi best, it does look good surprisingly good. Earlier, I printed 1440dpi. The result was that the paper became mushy damp. Quality wise I don't see significant difference. Perhaps Dobleweight already maxed out in the 720 best and the good thing is the paper is good and still crispy when out.

I still need to do a lot of experimenting. I wonder what is "Super Micro Weave". When I ticked that, I got funny patterned print and I had to cancel job.

What is your suggestion to the Layout program?

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
Hugowolf
Like?

faith_ps wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Brian A

There are couple of flaws with Epson Bouble Weight Matte: it is very difficult to handle without getting compression creases, and it is on a 2 inch core.

Brian A

Hello Brian,

It's all a test. On a 720 dpi best, it does look good surprisingly good. Earlier, I printed 1440dpi. The result was that the paper became mushy damp. Quality wise I don't see significant difference. Perhaps Dobleweight already maxed out in the 720 best and the good thing is the paper is good and still crispy when out.

Yes, Epson Double Weight Matte will come up wet if you put down enough ink. If it is coming out dry, then I doubt your dMax will be high enough for sufficient contrast. Even 350 gsm Museum rag comes out wet, although it won't sag like the very lightweight Double Weight Matte. What is Double Weight Matte: 170-180 gsm?

I still need to do a lot of experimenting. I wonder what is "Super Micro Weave". When I ticked that, I got funny patterned print and I had to cancel job.

I don't know if I have ever tried 'Super Micro Weave'. It is supposed to alleviate banding, but I have never had banding when the head was aligned correctly.

What is your suggestion to the Layout program?

If you are running Windows, then QImage is the best and it isn't expensive. It is much more than just a layout program. It has several excellent selective uprezing choices, and you can, for example, print the same or different images on the same sheet using different profiles and/or rendering intents. If you are on a Mac, you can run QImage under Parallels, or try Lightroom or Aperture, either of which is much better for printing than Photoshop.

faith_ps
Like?
I did a 1440dpi
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 18, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Hello Brian,

Yes, Epson Double Weight Matte will come up wet if you put down enough ink. If it is coming out dry, then I doubt your dMax will be high enough for sufficient contrast. Even 350 gsm Museum rag comes out wet, although it won't sag like the very lightweight Double Weight Matte. What is Double Weight Matte: 170-180 gsm?

Epson Dobleweight matte is 180gsm, 8.3 mil.

Here I'm uploading the print I just did few minutes ago with 1440dpi.

1440dpi print on a 180gsm Epson Dobleweight Matte paper. The paper becomes flimsy as seen on the right

I find that at 1440dpi, the black is too pitch if looked at near distance but looking further back, its pleasant. Can still see nice renderings.

OTOH, the print I made yesterday at 720dpi best also look equally amazing. See below.

720dpi best print on 180gsm Epson Dobleweight Matte

But this morning I'm happy I got the layouting right. All is perfectly alligned and well.

Ready now to start this printing business.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
Hugowolf
Like?
Re: I did a 1440dpi

faith_ps wrote:

Ready now to start this printing business.

Well, you will probably need to start buying some paper first.

Good luck
Brian A

MJ Marciniak
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Greetings, I will give you my insight on doing this. I worked for 4 years at the Phoenix Art Group, printing Giclees. Printed on canvas and Hannahmule fine art papers. If you could message me, I know the "secrets" to doing the finishing on both media's. I would recommend a Roland 540 if I recall, large format printer. The thing was a literal energizer bunny, just kept going and going. After 1.5 years of non stop printing, the tech just wanted to check it (he was fixing an older, slower roland) and was blown away when he got the printhead reading, had never seen one with that much use, and fully would of expected it to blow itself up months ago. I would NEVER use an Epson printer for fine art reproduction after seeing firsthand the reliability of the Rolands.

Color management is a critical issue here also. I have extensive experience creating ICC profiles, and from canvas, fine art paper, and even now, profiles from printing on t-shirts (DTG printing-direct to garment). You will need to make custom profiles for your specific media. Canned profiles (the ones supplied by manufacturers) always fall short in quality. Profile YOUR machine to YOUR media, and you will have eliminated one big headache.

Michael

faith_ps
Like?
Something to discover everyday..
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 23, 2013

Last night I printed two A1 sizes on the 9890 using Prem Lustre 260. Upon switching ON, the machine went into self cleaning. OK, I don't mind the wait. But how much ink does this cleaning consume? I think this machine has cleaning set periodically. Is it good to do so?

When the cleaning is done, there was a message "Clogged nozzle detected... cleaning ...". Then it printedd the first A1 @ 1440dpi. The result is as ever excellent. When done, I examined it and saw nothing of the clogged nozzle effect. The I printed the 2nd A1. This time very very cautiously as this is a print order. A photo taken by a Leica M8 and is really special. Well not that I treated other images by other cameras differently when printing. But just to make real sure all is well. This is after all my first paid biggest print. The "Clogged..." message didn't want to disappear. So i went into a nozzle check. When out, I examined the lines very very carefully. None. No funny jaggy or missing line detected. So I went ahead and printed it. And nervously watching every inch of the paper to roll out. It was excellent. Nothing wrong. When done, all I can see is true goodness.

So, what's that "Clogged nozzle detected and cleaning..." message. Should I go to cleaning mode again and waste ink?

Also my LB ink is running low and blinking all the time. The ink supply level when I checked on my preview is slightly lower than the line. How low is it to be changed. What if it went out during me printing a job half way?

Jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Hugowolf
Like?
Re: Something to discover everyday..
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 23, 2013

faith_ps wrote:

Last night I printed two A1 sizes on the 9890 using Prem Lustre 260. Upon switching ON, the machine went into self cleaning. OK, I don't mind the wait. But how much ink does this cleaning consume? I think this machine has cleaning set periodically. Is it good to do so?

I have turned off auto cleaning, but print a nozzle check every day, and clean nozzle pairs when necessary. If you are not prepared to do a nozzle check at least once a day, then I would leave auto cleaning on.

So, what's that "Clogged nozzle detected and cleaning..." message. Should I go to cleaning mode again and waste ink?

If it detects a nozzle clog, then you should do a cleaning on the pair of nozzles. You do not want to have to do a super cleaning cycle if the clog gets worse. That would use an awful lot of ink.

Also my LB ink is running low and blinking all the time. The ink supply level when I checked on my preview is slightly lower than the line. How low is it to be changed. What if it went out during me printing a job half way?

I don't know what you mean by 'slightly lower than the line'. What line?

There is no problem changing cartridges during a print. If you read the manual, that is what it tells you to do.

But note: it cannot or will not perform a cleaning on a pair if one of the two ink levels is below 2%, and it can refuse to print at that point. So you need to buy replacement cartridges to have on hand when ink levels get low. After the cleaning, you can put the old cartridge back in and run it until it empties. You do not want to replace cartridges the machine says are one or two percent, Epson's 1-2% could easily be 5%.

LK (B would be blue, K is black) will go first, because it shares a channel and twice as much is used when initializing the printer. Order an LK cartridge now.

Brian A

faith_ps
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 23, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

I have turned off auto cleaning, but print a nozzle check every day, and clean nozzle pairs when necessary. If you are not prepared to do a nozzle check at least once a day, then I would leave auto cleaning on.

OK, I'll do a nozzle check everytime before I print beginning of the first print of the day everyday.

If it detects a nozzle clog, then you should do a cleaning on the pair of nozzles. You do not want to have to do a super cleaning cycle if the clog gets worse. That would use an awful lot of ink.

Got it. On my next print today, I'll run that cleaning. But how should I know which nozzle is clogged and which pair?

I don't know what you mean by 'slightly lower than the line'. What line?

The "ink supply" lowest line when I check it on the Print dialog box.

There is no problem changing cartridges during a print. If you read the manual, that is what it tells you to do.

But note: it cannot or will not perform a cleaning on a pair if one of the two ink levels is below 2%, and it can refuse to print at that point. So you need to buy replacement cartridges to have on hand when ink levels get low. After the cleaning, you can put the old cartridge back in and run it until it empties. You do not want to replace cartridges the machine says are one or two percent, Epson's 1-2% could easily be 5%.

LK (B would be blue, K is black) will go first, because it shares a channel and twice as much is used when initializing the printer. Order an LK cartridge now.

Sorry, its the Light Black ink that quickly runs out. I got a new 350ml spare standing by.

Brian A

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 24, 2013

faith_ps wrote:

... But how should I know which nozzle is clogged and which pair?

If you are running the Remote Panel, and have its preferences set to warn you when errors occur, then it should come up on your computer with which nozzle is clogged. Based on that you can select the correct pair from the printer's front panel. Pair cleaning is probably under the maintenance submenu.

I am at home (it is the weekend) and my printers are at work, so I can't give you more difinitive instructions.

Brian A

faith_ps
Like?
Just ordered Epson Canvas Satin and Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 25, 2013

What are those that I should watch out for in the Canvas Satin. I don't have to use the auto paper cutter right. Also should the black ink be "Matte blck" or leave it "PhotoBlack". I also don't have to use any treatment spray right. Just leave it as it is. What dpi? 2880 or 1440?

As for the Ultrasmooth, I'm going to use it purely for B/W. So I'l set it to "Matte Black". Also, which dpi is best? 2880dpi or enough with best 1440dpi. As for the framing of this Ultrasmooth, best to leave it surface bare right? No need glass.

Any advice and tips?

Thxs,

JAKOP

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Hugowolf
Like?
Re: Just ordered Epson Canvas Satin and Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 27, 2013

You are really changing topics here and I think you would have more probability of a few replies if you were to start a new thread on your new topic.

Neither of these two are popular media. The satin canvas has a particularly delicate surface, and should definitely be coated. The only two canvases that I use that can stand up to stretching without coating are Breathing Color Crystalline and Innova Ultra Gloss.

I use the printer’s cutter almost always, why wouldn’t you? I do vacuum the printers often.

Unlike the newer Hot Press and Cold Press Epson fine art papers, Epson Ultra Smooth is not as highly regarded. But papers are a very personal thing, which is why I stock many. I prefer Canson Rag Photographique 310 over the much more popular Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308; it doesn’t have the recurl problems and takes landscape greens far better.

By and large, you will have to stock papers that appeal to your clients, not you. But you will need a smooth matte, light textured matte (velvet), medium textured matte (German Etching, for example), coarse textured matte (Arches Aquarelle, for example), Barytas, and a couple of RC papers.

When you get half way through a box or roll, it is time to think about adding a new paper, If you wait till the roll is almost though, you will end up reordering one of the same.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to faith_ps, Jun 27, 2013

Have a look at what the big print studios are offering in the way of media, for example:
http://www.theprintspace.co.uk/professional-epson-giclee-prints.php

Brian A

faith_ps
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 28, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

You are really changing topics here and I think you would have more probability of a few replies if you were to start a new thread on your new topic.

Hello Brian. Yes, it seems like I'm changing topics. But the main thread is "Starting...." so I'd like to be thought of as a beginner and this thread to be like a sequence of how I begin to start and how I'm doing till this date and all the problems that I'm having and all the answers that will be found here. Thxs especially to you.

Neither of these two are popular media. The satin canvas has a particularly delicate surface, and should definitely be coated. The only two canvases that I use that can stand up to stretching without coating are Breathing Color Crystalline and Innova Ultra Gloss.

Yesterday I printed three A1 fine art photography pieces on Epson Canvas Satin. Thank god all turned out brilliant. So good that the person who ordered it wanted to place more orders. And another friend who heard this goodness will be here tonight to check with his own eyes how good the canvas print is and perhaps place a new order.

All in all I'm very satisfied at how Epson original papers handles easily. I might place a 44" one as 24" seem to be rather small when framed. So 44" is the ideal one for a real nice big print.

I use the printer’s cutter almost always, why wouldn’t you? I do vacuum the printers often.

Unlike the newer Hot Press and Cold Press Epson fine art papers, Epson Ultra Smooth is not as highly regarded. But papers are a very personal thing, which is why I stock many. I prefer Canson Rag Photographique 310 over the much more popular Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308; it doesn’t have the recurl problems and takes landscape greens far better.

By and large, you will have to stock papers that appeal to your clients, not you. But you will need a smooth matte, light textured matte (velvet), medium textured matte (German Etching, for example), coarse textured matte (Arches Aquarelle, for example), Barytas, and a couple of RC papers.

Yes, I'm now looking at several Epson fine art papers and want to place orders very soon. But Epson Indonesia did not have stock on most fine art papers so they said it'll  a month long wait.

When you get half way through a box or roll, it is time to think about adding a new paper, If you wait till the roll is almost though, you will end up reordering one of the same.

Brian A

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads