Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions
limbonaut
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)
In reply to Andy, Moscow, May 17, 2013

I had both cameras.  You can search for my prior posts on this topic.  Having tested both I kept the OM-D.  For me the Nex-6 has far superior ergonomics and almost equivalent focusing speed on some lenses (not the 50mm which is slooow), but in the end the lack of lenses (especially long native zooms)  and the inability to customize (no way to set auto iso limit etc which I can do on my rx100 - puzzling).

If you shoot jpeg, which I do most of the time, there is very little image quality difference and in fact for me the high iso jpeg performance of the OM-D in superfine jpeg is better than the Nex-6.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,185Gear list
Like?
In reply to limbonaut, May 17, 2013

So the Nex-6 has far superior ergonomic than the OMD but it has very little customization options...puzzling!

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
That "hybrid AF" doesn't really work.
In reply to Pierrrrrrre, May 17, 2013

The Hybrid AF doesn't work in video mode, it doesn't work in lower light, and it doesn't work with many apertures.

There are also threads about how many users think it is a hoax.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50873544

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50640407

btw, this does not bode well for Olympus since they use Sony sensors.

Just Having Fun
Like?
I don't think he read the post
In reply to Jorginho, May 17, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

Above ISO 200: no. A difference of 1/6 of a stop is not significant. And thatonly happens with i think tonality here and there.

You are right, and he missed that part about above ISO200.

Either that or he is one of the clueless people that only go by those arbitrary numbers for the final score.

mferencz
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
In reply to photofan1986, May 17, 2013

I have an OMD and played with a Sony.  I can't really tell you too much about image quality comparisons but the Sony feels like a Sony.  Kinda in the same way Mcdonalds tastes like a Mcdonalds.  Nothing wrong with that, but its a 'tech tool' with comparatively bigger sized lenses, or atleast the lens that was on the one I toyed with.  It is a marvel though, putting that sensor in such a small body, and we all know from both of these cameras, Sony makes good sensors.  The Olympus just felt better to me.  If Olympus ever looked into selling their camera divison I'd hope Sony would buy them.  They make quality stuff.

jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?

Pierrrrrrre wrote:

Hi everyone!

After using a DSLR for more than 5 years (and loving the optical viewfinder), I want to switch to a smaller camera, because I realized I was missing a lot of opportunities of shooting, simply because I was leaving my camera at home most of the time...

So, after reading a lot about these systems, and trying out the OM-D and the NEX-6 a few days ago, I would like to ask for your opinion about it.

First, my current point of view on both cameras:

Olympus OM-D
+ Excellent image quality, even in Jpeg
+ Stabilisation (5 axes !) included in the camera body
+ Good quantity of Four Third lenses (Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma...)
+ Very nice retro design
+ Heavy customization possible (looks like you can customize almost all the buttons!)
- Four Third sensor = smaller than an APS-C = less light = issues in low light (?)
- Body is a bit too small, and buttons as well...
- The kit lens (12-50mm) looks quite big compared to the 16-50 of the Sony NEX-6
Sony NEX-6
+ APS-C sensor, therefore better image quality than a Four Third sensor (?)
+ With its kit lens (16-50mm), it's really small and light!
+ The elecontric viewfinder resolution is pretty amazing
+ Hybrid AF system: The best of both Worlds?
+ WiFi included, can be useful
- The picture quality doesn't look that amazing for a camera "with a Reflex sensor"
- No body stabilisation

I used the very useful DPReview comparison widget to check the quality of both cameras in same situation, and I am very impressed by the image quality of the Olympus OM-D; Although it has a smaller sensor, it seems more capable in terms of sharpness, contrast (in Jpeg) and overall details, even in high ISO.

In comparison, the Sony NEX-6 Jpeg pictures look too smooth.

I plan to shoot street views, especially at night or in low light conditions, and I always thought my previous camera, a DSLR (Nikon D7000 with the 24mm f2.8D), delivered images that lacked sharpness.

Did you try both of them? What did you like/not like in them? What would you recommend, and why, or would you recommend another one, and why?

Thanks for your feedback!

P.S.: Should I also post this in the Sony NEX section of this forum?

You can upgrade the VF on the EM5 by buying the VF4. Then it will by all accounts be quite similar to the NEX EVF.

Or you could go the E-P5 and put the VF4 on that.
The E-P5 has a couple of nice features (higher shutter speed, wifi, higher res touchscreen, remote control and GPS from smartphone, image upload via smart phone, focus peaking, intervalometer) and it will be even smaller by about %20-25 than the EM5 if you take the VF4 off.

Depending on whether you value weather sealing, a permanent EVF and the option to use the  HLD-6 grip, I'd consider the E-P5 instead of the EM-5.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,249
Like?
Re: I don't think he read the post
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 17, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

2) No, the OMD is not worse at high ISO. From ISO 200 onwards it is identical to the NEX6 in each and every way (noise, dynamic range, colour depth and tonality). Compare both at dxomark.com

May be you should learn to read. If you can not read it properly, I spell it out for you slowly

Jorginho wrote:

2) F r o m     I  S  O   2  0  0 o n w a r d s   i  t  i s   i  d  e n t i c a l     t o t h e   NEX6

Could you read it now.

Just Having Fun wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Above ISO 200: no. A difference of 1/6 of a stop is not significant. And thatonly happens with i think tonality here and there.

You are right, and he missed that part about above ISO200.

May be reading one more time would help:

Jorginho wrote:

2) No, the OMD is not worse at high ISO. From ISO 200 onwards it is identical to the NEX6 in each and every way (noise, dynamic range, colour depth and tonality). Compare both at dxomark.com

So basically your friend was caught lying. Or he can still point me to those identical results. I dare him.

Either that or he is one of the clueless people that only go by those arbitrary numbers for the final score.

Huh, may be there is a reason that you two are always found making stupid statements. You two have no clue of measurement errors.

Measurement errors are usually random, there is no site in the world that has ever come up and said our measurement shows OMD better than NEX6. Even if you leave out hard core fanboys like you and him, majority of members here at m43 forums also do not believe that NEX6 and OMD sensors are identical above 200 ISO. Only you two are clueless enough to believe it.

And yes I did not read his reply, because I already knew his excuse when caught making such stupid statement.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
In reply to Andy, Moscow, May 17, 2013

Andy, Moscow wrote:

Compared both - NEX-6 is INCREDIBLY slow camera, applications are working weird. Regular NEX-5 was faster in my opinion. OMD is lightning fast

Please be more specific Andy. You're just throwing dust in the air here...the apps are a bit slow  - I've tried them, but the built-in camera functions are not slow by any means.

OMD doesn't have apps capabilities so comparing that to NEX-6 apps is apples to oranges. Also slow is better then non-existent. Some people appreciate having the ability to extend camera functions though apps (even if it is a bit slow) rather than not having a choice at all.

Apps like time lapse or multi-shot NR are some of the examples which you can add. Also Oly should really get with the program and get an auto-panorama function. That has been a part of P&S compacts for ages now.

CosmoZooo
Like?
Re: That "hybrid AF" doesn't really work.

Just Having Fun wrote:

The Hybrid AF doesn't work in video mode, it doesn't work in lower light, and it doesn't work with many apertures.

There are also threads about how many users think it is a hoax.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50873544

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50640407

btw, this does not bode well for Olympus since they use Sony sensors.

Instead of relying on opinions read the Dpreview...PDAF on NEX-6 does work. I've used it - in good light and below f6.3 it does work. I've tracked my kid on the playground such as spinning carousel and swing and it does work - but it is not 100%. You also have to know how to properly utilize the AF-C mode which is not hard.

If I had to make a bet as to which one can track better OMD or NEX-6, I would bet on the NEX-6. Just seeing video samples of OMD AF in video tells me that it is unlikely to be good at tracking. You can still get actions shots with AF-S though on OMD but the success rate would be lower, IMO.

Btw the video sample I have seen here for E-P5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsFTY67ADI&feature=share&list=UUppifd6qgT-5akRcNXeL2rw appers to show improved AF as well as exposure transitions - something I've also seen to be an issue in some youtube videos where OMD auto-adjusting video exposre produces a flicker. So maybe the next firmware will address those since it has been improved on the E-P5.

Bassam Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

Honestly, I think you are focused too much on the body. Think system and think glass. I shoot today with lenses I bought over 30 years ago (when I can deal with manual focus :). Their original bodies are long long gone.

The plethora and quality of m43 lenses cannot be ignored. How many does Sony have now? 8, all from Sony?

Whichever body you buy, in six months you'll eye a newer one. How long do you honestly think you'll keep whichever body you choose? 1 year? Two?

I almost bought an OM-D but asked myself the same question. My honest answer led me to buy an E-PL5 for $500 + 2 lenses + FL-600R = $OM-D. Weather sealing! The OM-D is rugged and made to last far past when I'd put it up on ebay. But, of course, only you know how valuable its durability is to you.

My E-PL5 will last the year or two before I replace it but the lenses and flash will stay with me as will the VF-2 my friend gave to me.

I'm also a bit worried that if you couldn't get enough sharpness with the Nikon D7000 + 24mm f2.8D combo then a new body won't improve things. Do you shoot at 1/60 or faster, f4-f8, and use a steady pose?

Just Having Fun
Like?
No, its really not good.
In reply to CosmoZooo, May 17, 2013

I have the 5R and as many others have reported it is not much better than the older 5N.   There is less wobbling in and out of focus, but it is the same during video, and Sony says PDAF is always OFF during video.

It is the placebo effect.  A few people swear they sometimes see it work, but most don't.

I am surprised at how often the focus will start changing the wrong way even with PDAF.  You really notice it because as reported focusing is pretty slow.

Just Having Fun
Like?
LOL! That went over your head didn't it!
In reply to zxaar, May 17, 2013

zxaar wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Compared and OMD is worse than NEX - 6

May be you should learn to read. If you can not read it properly, I spell it out for you slowly

Jorginho wrote:

2) F r o m     I  S  O   2  0  0 o n w a r d s   i  t  i s   i  d  e n t i c a l     t o t h e   NEX6

Could you read it now.

yep, F r o m     I  S  O   2  0  0 o n w a r d s   i  t  i s   i  d  e n t i c a l     t o t h e   NEX6....despite you claim to say otherwise...then you make a post showing you are wrong!  LOL!

The reality is Jorghinho was right and you were wrong.

CosmoZooo
Like?
Re: No, its really not good.

Just Having Fun wrote:

I have the 5R and as many others have reported it is not much better than the older 5N.   There is less wobbling in and out of focus, but it is the same during video, and Sony says PDAF is always OFF during video.

It is the placebo effect.  A few people swear they sometimes see it work, but most don't.

I am surprised at how often the focus will start changing the wrong way even with PDAF.  You really notice it because as reported focusing is pretty slow.

I am not sure you clearly understood what I said. In regards to video, I know that PDAF doesn't work in NEX-6. But I was talking about OMD...OMD also has continuous auto-focus and essentially the technique for keeping something in focus during af-c on the OMD would be similar to keeping something in focus during video, because there is no PDAF either way. Since OMD doesn't do a good job of keeping things in focus during video - it tends to hunt - I would expect the AF-C performance to be similar.

NEX-6 on the other hand does better in video AF but it also had PDAF for still AF-C operation. Before we go any further arguing it here please describe exactly how you tested PDAF on your 5R?

Pierrrrrrre
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Bassam Guy, May 18, 2013

Bassam Guy wrote:

Honestly, I think you are focused too much on the body. Think system and think glass. I shoot today with lenses I bought over 30 years ago (when I can deal with manual focus :). Their original bodies are long long gone.

Well, people told me exactly the same 6 years ago when I bought my first DSLR.

But in the end, some Nikon bodies don't work with non-motorized lenses, etc.

I have an old manual focus macro lens my dad gave me, and honestly I never use it, apart from little tests.

And if I buy a mirrorless camera, I don't plan on buying an adapter to end up with 50% of the functionalities of those lenses unusuable...

The plethora and quality of m43 lenses cannot be ignored. How many does Sony have now? 8, all from Sony?

Whichever body you buy, in six months you'll eye a newer one. How long do you honestly think you'll keep whichever body you choose? 1 year? Two?

Well, I used my first DSLR for 6 years (Nikon D50), and I was not planning on buying a new one until my sister asked for a very cheap DSLR solution... I gave her my D50 and bought a second hand D7000.

I almost bought an OM-D but asked myself the same question. My honest answer led me to buy an E-PL5 for $500 + 2 lenses + FL-600R = $OM-D. Weather sealing! The OM-D is rugged and made to last far past when I'd put it up on ebay. But, of course, only you know how valuable its durability is to you.

My E-PL5 will last the year or two before I replace it but the lenses and flash will stay with me as will the VF-2 my friend gave to me.

I'm also a bit worried that if you couldn't get enough sharpness with the Nikon D7000 + 24mm f2.8D combo then a new body won't improve things. Do you shoot at 1/60 or faster, f4-f8, and use a steady pose?

Yes. I believe the camera had a focusing issue, but the Nikon engineer I went to see were not super helpful (he basically told me I could spend 250 EUR to have the body checked, but there would probably be no issue at all).

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,092Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, May 19, 2013

captura wrote:

Did you just pull that one out of thin air? The 6/5R with 16-50 PZ are smaller and much lighter than the E-P5 with the 12-50.

5R comes in a kit with the large 18-55, not 16-50. 16-50 is collapsible 3x, more comparable to collapsible 14-42 which comes in a $500 kit with E-PL5 which also is a direct competitor to 5R (controls, tilting display and body quality).

TheDigitalCruiser
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oli4D, May 21, 2013

Oli4D wrote:

JudyN wrote:

You need to see the E-M5 with the Pany 20mm pancake.  Nice lens, lovely  package.

-- hide signature --

True but he would like to shoot a lot in low light so I can't really recommend the Pany 20mm in Combo with the OM-D. I have it myself and it's focusing rather slow and sometimes AF is huntig in low light.

In bright light it's not an issue.

But for lowlight, I can recommend the Olympus 17mm 1.8 much more than the Pany 20mm, at least when using the OM-D.

The OM-D with either the Lumix 25mm 1.4 or the Olympus 75mm f1.8 are even better choices than the 17mm since they are even sharper.  These are my favorite two OM-D available light lenses.  I just sold my 17mm because I think the Lumix 25mm f1.4 is a better lens for much the same price, size and weight.  See my reviews in my cruises-and-cameras.com blog.

TheDigitalCruiser's gear list:TheDigitalCruiser's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads