Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,664
Like?
Re: Normal shutter count on new D600?
In reply to MisfiTTTTTT, May 13, 2013

MisfiTTTTTT wrote:

Hi Robin,

The store I bought it from said that the fact Language and Time had been set was an indicator that it been opened and used before. Certainly that's been my experience of buying new Nikon cameras in the past.

Are you in the USA? It probably differs in other countries. My D700 and D800E were both set to English when I got them.

I agree that the rejects don't provide much use for the manufacturer.

Defective cameras should be refurbished by the mfg., but in the USA, not all returns are defective.

However if I buy something new I expect something new. If the item is used it adds doubts to the purchase...

Do you have the right to return a Nikon without cause? You do have that right at many stores in the USA. If your spouse is angry that you spent so much money, you can return it. If you find it is to complicated for you, you can return it. If you don't like how big it is, you can return it. If you think someone sneezed on it, you can return it. Who eats those cameras? Nikon doesn't and the store doesn't. They either go back out to customers until someone keeps it. Or, they get refurbished.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Alan Brown...Wow!
In reply to Alan Brown, May 14, 2013

Of course I was concerned about oil and dust...and for months after reading all the problems of others. Hogan and Steve Bingham here convinced me that I was over reacting to an overblown issue. Was i?

I am still worried that mine might be one of those time bomb bodies that starts acting up after  hundreds of frames, even 2K-3K are fired off. But as they and others have said dust and oil can be cleaned up.

The 120+ frame count on arrival, was a secondary issue.

Maybe I am paranoid, but for me $2100 is nothing to sneeze at.

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
chipmaster
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?
In reply to opusone, May 14, 2013

FWIW every new Nikon I bought, D40, D300, D700, D3s, D4 and D600 all started out that the first shot was "1"

If it doesn't show "1" it has been given a test, either opened box demo in a store or a returned camera being resold ...

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +7 more
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?
In reply to chipmaster, May 14, 2013

How are you folks checking the shutter count?    Take a picture and upload it to shuttercount.com?  So if you take one picture and they say the count is 1, then it was zero when purchased?   Thanks.

opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?

I'm sending it back to B&H. This camera had 120+ actuations on it when it arrived and some dust.

The dust seemed to go away when it was hit with a bulb blower, but new dust replaced it immediately.

The existing firings seemed signs of previous use either as a store demo or a returned item. I'm told, by some, that B&H does not do this. But what am I supposed to think? It may be a refurbished body for all I know.
I paid $2100 (w/accessories) for a new, unopened & unused D600.

If the replacement doesn't arrive with zero shots on it, it will go back as well.

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,657Gear list
Like?
Re: New cars...
In reply to Robin Casady, May 14, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

... don't come with 0 miles on them.   It's considered normal for people to do test drives, and the car is still new with a few hundred miles on it.

Just saying that cameras could be thought of the same way.   Sort of like New is when the warranty period begins.

Cars acquire miles in the process of moving them off the assembly line, loading them onto transport, and moving them around a dealership. (snip) In most cases, a car that is used for demo purposes is sold as a demo. Some variation does occur, but you don't put a car in a box when going from factory to dealership.

It comes down to how honest the car company and the dealer are. Chrysler for instance let its dealers do what they want. And try to sell a slightly used car (with say 500 miles on it) as new they will.

Honda & Toyota puts a 20 miles limit on new cars: a dealer can't sell it as new past that mileage. And it's not supposed to be for demoing the car either.

And you wonder why I stopped buying American cars a long time ago.

But back to Nikon: Nikon has never clearly formulated a policy, something it should remediate, just like Honda and Toyota do for the cars.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,538
Like?
Buy locally....

opusone wrote:

I'm sending it back to B&H. This camera had 120+ actuations on it when it arrived and some dust.

The dust seemed to go away when it was hit with a bulb blower, but new dust replaced it immediately.

The existing firings seemed signs of previous use either as a store demo or a returned item. I'm told, by some, that B&H does not do this. But what am I supposed to think? It may be a refurbished body for all I know.

If the replacement doesn't arrive with zero shots on it, it will go back as well.

seeing that you are so paranoid.  There are tons of camera shops near where you live.  That way you can guarantee that you are getting a zero shutter count body.

Bob P.

elt
elt
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Re: Buy locally....
In reply to Petruska, May 18, 2013

Petruska wrote:

opusone wrote:

seeing that you are so paranoid.  There are tons of camera shops near where you live.  That way you can guarantee that you are getting a zero shutter count body.

Bob P.

BTW, is it that important that the shutter count should be zero or one to begin with?  If Nikon is confident enough saying that during pre manufacture testing, some cameras have had undergone 150k shutter actuation or higher for models such as D90 or D7000 , would one to two hundred actuation on new cameras matter?  I think we are getting too concerned  or paranoid on the issue.  In fact getting cameras from the shop would be prone to being fiddled with by customers & salesmen, unless the boxes are sealed or unopened.

CEspinoza
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to Nikon2011, May 24, 2013

Nikon2011 wrote:

my camera had 0 actuations (1,2,3 the shots i made)

and when i turned it on it immediately went to the setup (language, date etc)

Hey Nikon2011,

Do you recall the default date of your camera upon turning it on the first time?. A couple of days  ago I checked 2 new bodies stamped with February 2, 2012, and June 11, 2012. I did not bought them because of this.

I might be wrong but I can't help to think that due to the AF left focus problem, there could be many returns that stores are trying to resale as new.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads