Normal shutter count on new D600?

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Normal shutter count on new D600?
May 13, 2013

After firing off maybe several small batches of tests for dust/oil issues, using a blower anc rechecking each time for a total of maybe 50-60 shots, I checked my shutter count using MyShutterCount.com as recommended elsewhere and found that it shows 178 shutter actuations.

Is this within the norms for a brand new camera?

ALSO...so far the blower is moving out all but one fairly small speck each time I've applied it. Fingers crossed, yet.

With company here all weekend and recovering from a pulled calf muscle, I have not been out to do any serious shooting yet. Also it's a 109 degrees here today, so maybe when it drops into the 90's later this week. If I can f%$#ing walk by then.

#1 Tip: DON'T GET OLD!

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,549Gear list
Like?
You weren't the first one to try out the camera
In reply to opusone, May 13, 2013

opusone wrote:

After firing off maybe several small batches of tests for dust/oil issues, using a blower anc rechecking each time for a total of maybe 50-60 shots, I checked my shutter count using MyShutterCount.com as recommended elsewhere and found that it shows 178 shutter actuations.

Is this within the norms for a brand new camera?

No, it indicates that someone took a few test shots with the camera before you did.  A new Nikon body will show a shutter count of 1 after you take the first shot, i.e., it leaves the factory with a count of 0.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
atrhys
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: Normal shutter count on new D600?

B&H allows up to 200 shots to return a new camera and Adorama has no limits (as far as I know). This means that you may get a camera that someone else tried and returned for whatever reason. If everything looks ok and works ok I wouldn't worry about it, but you might want to be extra thorough when checking it out to make sure there wasn't a major reason it was returned.

atrhys's gear list:atrhys's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AW 11-27.5mm +2 more
MisfiTTTTTT
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

Hello,

When I got my D600 it had around about 200 actuations on it... Knowing that a brand new camera should come with around 0, I took it straight back to the store I bought it from, they confirmed the camera had been used before and gave me a brand new one.

The reason I suspected it it had been used before was because when I turned on the camera the language and time had already been set on it...

Some people here may make the argument that it doesn't matter if it has been slightly used, personally if I'm shelling out a large amount of money I want the peace of mind that comes with a brand new product.

I hope this helps.

Adam

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,682
Like?
In reply to MisfiTTTTTT, May 13, 2013

MisfiTTTTTT wrote:

Hello,

When I got my D600 it had around about 200 actuations on it... Knowing that a brand new camera should come with around 0, I took it straight back to the store I bought it from, they confirmed the camera had been used before and gave me a brand new one.

The reason I suspected it it had been used before was because when I turned on the camera the language and time had already been set on it...

Language and time had already been set on my D800E. It came from a local shop and I picked it up as soon as it arrived from Nikon. I know they didn't open the box. It had one actuation after I took one shot.

Some people here may make the argument that it doesn't matter if it has been slightly used, personally if I'm shelling out a large amount of money I want the peace of mind that comes with a brand new product.

I feel the same way, yet I also like the ability to return a camera or lens if I'm not happy with it. That means someone has to take my rejects. Neither the store, nor Nikon could write off all the items that get returned.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Nikon2011
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?

my camera had 0 actuations (1,2,3 the shots i made)

and when i turned it on it immediately went to the setup (language, date etc)

Nikon2011's gear list:Nikon2011's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
opusone
Like?
In reply to Nikon2011, May 13, 2013

The language was already set, but not the time on mine.

Did I pay B&H full price for a demo or returned camera?

Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
MisfiTTTTTT
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 13, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Language and time had already been set on my D800E. It came from a local shop and I picked it up as soon as it arrived from Nikon. I know they didn't open the box. It had one actuation after I took one shot.

I feel the same way, yet I also like the ability to return a camera or lens if I'm not happy with it. That means someone has to take my rejects. Neither the store, nor Nikon could write off all the items that get returned.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Hi Robin,

The store I bought it from said that the fact Language and Time had been set was an indicator that it been opened and used before. Certainly that's been my experience of buying new Nikon cameras in the past.

I agree that the rejects don't provide much use for the manufacturer. However if I buy something new I expect something new. If the item is used it adds doubts to the purchase...

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017Gear list
Like?

opusone wrote:

The language was already set, but not the time on mine.

Did I pay B&H full price for a demo or returned camera?

Hard to say, but if it were me I would return it.  B and H is easy to deal with and won't give you any trouble on a return for less than 200 actuations.

Regarding the time and language, various people, myself, have reported getting 0 actuation cameras on which the time/date/language were already set.  Not perhaps for the correct time zone, but set none the less.  I have purchased several that way.

Something other than 0 actuations would annoy me, but for my part I don't believe the time/date thing is a consistent indication of a used camera.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,886Gear list
Like?
New cars...

... don't come with 0 miles on them.   It's considered normal for people to do test drives, and the car is still new with a few hundred miles on it.

Just saying that cameras could be thought of the same way.   Sort of like New is when the warranty period begins.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
carauction
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,549
Like?
Re: Mine just came from BH with 0

eom

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?

Lesson learned for you: that is the first test you do after you take the camera out of the box. One shot in JPG, check it in Opanda or other EXIF viewer. The number wants to be 1. Another indicator is whether the camera put you in setup mode, asking you to set date & time when you first turned it on. If not, then it's been used.

On the flip side, both of my D600 bodies, though they had zero count at first, now have shutter actuations that don't match the photo number (both under 9999 at the moment). It's bizarre, and I have had better things to do than figure it out, but I'm pretty sure if you edit a picture in camera (say, from NEF) and save it to JPG, it bumps up the photo number, and I think if you do funky things with the dual slots (format 1, but not the other), the photo number goes up, though, of course, the shutter count is the actual number. Do either of those, and you might see a photo number that is greater than the number of photos you have actually taken. To know the actual number, shoot a JPG file, then read it in an EXIF viewer to examine the number of actuations.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

opusone
Like?
Response I got from Thom Hogan
In reply to eNo, May 13, 2013

In a private email response I got to this question from Thom: "Maybe, but unlikely. More likely is that it was at the store, brought out for someone to try, they made a few shots, they didn't buy it and it was reboxed. That's pretty common, much like test driving cars is. At 120 shots or so I wouldn't worry about it." -- Thom Hogan, writer/photographer

I've heard this from others. I've also heard from others that it is never done. And I've seen both answers in these forums.

I'm sending it back and will NOT buy another D600. Why wait for 1k-3k shots as others have reported to find out I've got an oiler/dust bucket? Will it go bad on me in the middle of a shooting trip? On Bali? In Greece? Then what?

After five Nikon bodies without a hitch or a glitch, and 20 years of buying gear from B&H...no more.

Unless I decide to pop for the D800 and more computer, I'll just stick with my D700.

It could very well be my last Nikon.

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to eNo, May 13, 2013
On the flip side, both of my D600 bodies, though they had zero count at first, now have shutter actuations that don't match the photo number (both under 9999 at the moment). It's bizarre, and I have had better things to do than figure it out, but I'm pretty sure if you edit a picture in camera (say, from NEF) and save it to JPG, it bumps up the photo number, and I think if you do funky things with the dual slots (format 1, but not the other), the photo number goes up, though, of course, the shutter count is the actual number. Do either of those, and you might see a photo number that is greater than the number of photos you have actually taken. To know the actual number, shoot a JPG file, then read it in an EXIF viewer to examine the number of actuations.

Another reason for shutter actuations and image numbers to diverge: Initiating live view requires a shutter actuation, even before the image is shot. Taking the photograph then requires a second actuation. (Haven't tested this myself, but have read it several times on dpreview forums.)

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Leonard
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: Response I got from Thom Hogan

How do we check the shutter count?  I do not see it in the manual.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

LeonardW

opusone
Like?
Thom Hogan..."reboxed"? Sounds like a demo to me.

"More likely is that it was at the store, brought out for someone to try, they made a few shots, they didn't buy it and it was reboxed."

Opened, played with, 120 shots fired off then reboxed and shipped as new???

Sounds like a demo to me.

opusone
Like?
Check shutter..
In reply to Leonard, May 13, 2013

Go to....MyShutterCount.com

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017Gear list
Like?
Re: New cars...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 13, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

... don't come with 0 miles on them.   It's considered normal for people to do test drives, and the car is still new with a few hundred miles on it.

Just saying that cameras could be thought of the same way.   Sort of like New is when the warranty period begins.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

The reason many people have trouble with this point of view, I suspect, is that with a car there's little likelihood of it having been shipped to somebody who doesn't know what he's doing, fiddled with until something sustains damage, and then returned with the hope the camera store doesn't catch it.

I agree that in all likelihood you are perfectly correct and there will never be a problem, it's just not a comfortable sort of feeling.  I would prefer not purchase a camera this way and suspect many people feel the same.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,712Gear list
Like?
Wow!

opusone wrote:

In a private email response I got to this question from Thom: "Maybe, but unlikely. More likely is that it was at the store, brought out for someone to try, they made a few shots, they didn't buy it and it was reboxed. That's pretty common, much like test driving cars is. At 120 shots or so I wouldn't worry about it." -- Thom Hogan, writer/photographer

I've heard this from others. I've also heard from others that it is never done. And I've seen both answers in these forums.

I'm sending it back and will NOT buy another D600. Why wait for 1k-3k shots as others have reported to find out I've got an oiler/dust bucket? Will it go bad on me in the middle of a shooting trip? On Bali? In Greece? Then what?

After five Nikon bodies without a hitch or a glitch, and 20 years of buying gear from B&H...no more.

Unless I decide to pop for the D800 and more computer, I'll just stick with my D700.

It could very well be my last Nikon.

What a strange reaction from unrelated issues;

you get a reply from Thom that essentially says regarding a low shutter count; 'I wouldn't worry about it' and now you are worried about oil/dust.

you never considered this before asking him about shutter count?

curious

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,682
Like?
Re: New cars...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 13, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Cars acquire miles in the process of moving them off the assembly line, loading them onto transport, and moving them around a dealership. For import cars there is the getting them off a truck, moving them to a holding lot, moving them onto a ship, moving them off the ship, moving them around the import center (where they are cleaned up after an ocean voyage), moving them onto a truck to the dealer...

In most cases, a car that is used for demo purposes is sold as a demo. Some variation does occur, but you don't put a car in a box when going from factory to dealership.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads