Remote Shutter Release D800

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
Re: Remote Shutter Release D800
In reply to net_walker, May 14, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Apologies but when I do a search for this it comes up with crap loads of chatter (unless you can search a phrase that I do not know about)

I am after suggestions for remote cable release, wireless or not is good.

Cheers...

I've used a variety of remotes, wired and wireless. My favorite, and the one I use 90% of the time is the RFN-4s. The camera part is small and plugs directly into the 10-pin connector without a cable. Most wireless remotes put a bar of soap on the flash shoe. This doesn't.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Thanks Robyn.

Link did not work but I binged and found on Amazon.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

Cheers...

The Phottix GEO ONE has a connecting remote release

 romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
Re: GPS & Remote Shutter Release
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 15, 2013

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Link did not work but I binged and found on Amazon.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

I believe the GPS-1 has a 10-pin outlet so you can connect a remote. You should check first.

If you get an Aokatec AK-G1syou can use their cord remote, or a remote compatible with Canon Rebel Xsl, 450d, 50e, 500, 300, 300x, 300v, 400d, etc. The connector looks like a stereo mini jack so don't plug it into your iPhone.

Yes Robin, the GPS-1 has a 10 pin connector and I have one already. It looks like the RFN also uses a 10 pin connector hence my dilemma

Thanks all for your other responses so far.

Cheers...

What is your dilemma? Plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1 and you should be set. The plug on the GPS-1 was put there so you could use a remote.

Hi Robin.... Memory foggy today? I think you recommended the Solmeta 10-pin Y-splitter a few months ago.

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/products_id/738

Jim

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: GPS & Remote Shutter Release
In reply to Robin Casady, May 15, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Link did not work but I binged and found on Amazon.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

I believe the GPS-1 has a 10-pin outlet so you can connect a remote. You should check first.

If you get an Aokatec AK-G1syou can use their cord remote, or a remote compatible with Canon Rebel Xsl, 450d, 50e, 500, 300, 300x, 300v, 400d, etc. The connector looks like a stereo mini jack so don't plug it into your iPhone.

Yes Robin, the GPS-1 has a 10 pin connector and I have one already. It looks like the RFN also uses a 10 pin connector hence my dilemma

Thanks all for your other responses so far.

Cheers...

What is your dilemma? Plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1 and you should be set. The plug on the GPS-1 was put there so you could use a remote.

Hi Robin.... Memory foggy today? I think you recommended the Solmeta 10-pin Y-splitter a few months ago.

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/products_id/738

Jim

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

So is the bottom line: I can use the GPS-1 and RFN-4 together or I need another type?

Cheers...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Remote Shutter Release D800
In reply to Luis Ortega, May 15, 2013

Do you folks leave your RFN-4s on your camera continuously?

 axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
Re: Remote Shutter Release D800
In reply to axcentphoto, May 15, 2013

If I'm going out shooting on a tripod, I put it on.  I take off again when I get home.

Even though it's small, it's still big enough that something might catch it and break it, or break the 10-pin connector.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to net_walker, May 15, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

So is the bottom line: I can use the GPS-1 and RFN-4 together...

No, the FRN-4 an entirely different animal. It fits the D600, D7100, etc. which do not have a 10-pin connector.

You need the RFN-4s.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
Re: Remote Shutter Release D800
In reply to axcentphoto, May 15, 2013

axcentphoto wrote:

Do you folks leave your RFN-4s on your camera continuously?

Yes. I only remove it when I need the 10-pin connector for something else.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to Robin Casady, May 15, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

So is the bottom line: I can use the GPS-1 and RFN-4 together...

No, the FRN-4 an entirely different animal. It fits the D600, D7100, etc. which do not have a 10-pin connector.

You need the RFN-4s.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

OK, sorry Robyn but yes I meant can I use the GPS-1 & the RFN-4s at the same time?

Cheers...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
Sigh. Just ordered another one...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 16, 2013

Don't know what happened exactly, but today I put the remote on the camera before I walked out into the desert.  A little over a mile later I stopped to get some shots on the tripod with the remote release, and it was gone.   Must have rubbed against my hip when I the camera slung over my left shoulder and worked it's way loose.   Retraced my steps as best I could, but couldn't find the receiver.

From now on, I'll put it on in the field and be more careful.

At least I'll have two transmitters in a week or so.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
Re: RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to net_walker, May 16, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

So is the bottom line: I can use the GPS-1 and RFN-4 together...

No, the FRN-4 an entirely different animal. It fits the D600, D7100, etc. which do not have a 10-pin connector.

You need the RFN-4s.

OK, sorry Robyn but yes I meant can I use the GPS-1 & the RFN-4s at the same time?

Cheers...

Yes, but be careful with those letters, nut_walker. One letter can make a big difference.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to Robin Casady, May 16, 2013

Yes, but be careful with those letters, nut_walker. One letter can make a big difference.

LOLS, but you could be true...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
Re: RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to net_walker, May 16, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Yes, but be careful with those letters, nut_walker. One letter can make a big difference.

LOLS, but you could be true...

No, I'm just a figment of your imagination—a caterpillar on a mushroom.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to net_walker, May 17, 2013

Here is a link for the SMDV RFN-4s PDF User Guide/Manual...

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Review of RFN-4s

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/rfn-4s-new-favorite-wireless-remote.html

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 17, 2013

BeachnCruz wrote:

Here is a link for the SMDV RFN-4s PDF User Guide/Manual...

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Review of RFN-4s

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/rfn-4s-new-favorite-wireless-remote.html

Jim

Thanks Jim...

Still not seeing how to have this and the GPA-1 connected at the same time tho.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to net_walker, May 18, 2013

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Here is a link for the SMDV RFN-4s PDF User Guide/Manual...

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Thanks for the PDF link. I'd misplaced my tiny paper version didn't remember what the bulb trick (impacts bracketing sequences) was.

Thanks Jim...

Still not seeing how to have this and the GPA-1 connected at the same time tho.

You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to Robin Casady, May 18, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Here is a link for the SMDV RFN-4s PDF User Guide/Manual...

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Thanks for the PDF link. I'd misplaced my tiny paper version didn't remember what the bulb trick (impacts bracketing sequences) was.

Thanks Jim...

Still not seeing how to have this and the GPA-1 connected at the same time tho.

You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Hey Robyn,

Mr Thick here again

OK, get me try and get this one last time.

I hook the RFN-4s to the round 10 pin terminal on the front of the D800.

Now, how do I connect the RFN-4s to the GPS-1 to the remote inlet/outlet that you describe above and once before? I see no cable pins in the RFN-4s manual as linked by Jim.

Cheers again

Paul...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to net_walker, May 18, 2013

net_walker wrote:


You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

I hook the RFN-4s to the round 10 pin terminal on the front of the D800.

Now, how do I connect the RFN-4s to the GPS-1 to the remote inlet/outlet that you describe above and once before? I see no cable pins in the RFN-4s manual as linked by Jim.

Read the first sentence.   You plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1, not the other way around.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BassFisher
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: Solmeta 10-pin Y splitter with coiled cable now available
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 18, 2013

+1 on the SMDV RFN-4S remote.

I have the MC-36  but bought 2 of SMDV RFN-4S remote  one for D800E and one for my D700 when my daughter an I go shooting together.

This is one nice piece of gear. Cheap and small. Easy to use and put the MC-36 back in the cupboard.

-- hide signature --

BillD
Sydney, Australia
Time is the only thing I don't have enough of.

 BassFisher's gear list:BassFisher's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 18, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

net_walker wrote:


You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

I hook the RFN-4s to the round 10 pin terminal on the front of the D800.

Now, how do I connect the RFN-4s to the GPS-1 to the remote inlet/outlet that you describe above and once before? I see no cable pins in the RFN-4s manual as linked by Jim.

Read the first sentence.   You plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1, not the other way around.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Ok, I think I am finally seeing the light.

So, GPS-1 connected to the front 10 pin round plug.

Then I hook the RFS-4s to the side of the GPS-1 using a cable what converts 10 pin round to 10 pin rectangle.

So I need to acquire another cable then?

Paul...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?
Re: Fitting the old round peg into a rectangular hole trick....
In reply to net_walker, May 18, 2013

net_walker wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

net_walker wrote:


You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

I hook the RFN-4s to the round 10 pin terminal on the front of the D800.

Now, how do I connect the RFN-4s to the GPS-1 to the remote inlet/outlet that you describe above and once before? I see no cable pins in the RFN-4s manual as linked by Jim.

Read the first sentence.   You plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1, not the other way around.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Ok, I think I am finally seeing the light.

So, GPS-1 connected to the front 10 pin round plug.

Then I hook the RFS-4s to the side of the GPS-1 using a cable what converts 10 pin round to 10 pin rectangle.

So I need to acquire another cable then?

Paul...

Ever watch the old Monty Hall Game Show? What's behind Door #4? Fitting the old round peg into a rectangular hole trick.... Ever feel like someone has gifted you a 1000 piece puzzle and neglected to tell you that 1 piece of the puzzle is missing? The Fog Bank is still lingering Robin.....  

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads