romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
Re: Remote Shutter Release D800
In reply to net_walker, May 14, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Apologies but when I do a search for this it comes up with crap loads of chatter (unless you can search a phrase that I do not know about)

I am after suggestions for remote cable release, wireless or not is good.

Cheers...

I've used a variety of remotes, wired and wireless. My favorite, and the one I use 90% of the time is the RFN-4s. The camera part is small and plugs directly into the 10-pin connector without a cable. Most wireless remotes put a bar of soap on the flash shoe. This doesn't.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Thanks Robyn.

Link did not work but I binged and found on Amazon.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

Cheers...

The Phottix GEO ONE has a connecting remote release

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,627
Like?
Re: GPS & Remote Shutter Release
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 15, 2013

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

I believe the GPS-1 has a 10-pin outlet so you can connect a remote. You should check first.

If you get an Aokatec AK-G1syou can use their cord remote, or a remote compatible with Canon Rebel Xsl, 450d, 50e, 500, 300, 300x, 300v, 400d, etc. The connector looks like a stereo mini jack so don't plug it into your iPhone.

Yes Robin, the GPS-1 has a 10 pin connector and I have one already. It looks like the RFN also uses a 10 pin connector hence my dilemma

Thanks all for your other responses so far.

Cheers...

What is your dilemma? Plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1 and you should be set. The plug on the GPS-1 was put there so you could use a remote.

Hi Robin.... Memory foggy today? I think you recommended the Solmeta 10-pin Y-splitter a few months ago.

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/products_id/738

Jim

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: GPS & Remote Shutter Release
In reply to Robin Casady, May 15, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

I believe the GPS-1 has a 10-pin outlet so you can connect a remote. You should check first.

If you get an Aokatec AK-G1syou can use their cord remote, or a remote compatible with Canon Rebel Xsl, 450d, 50e, 500, 300, 300x, 300v, 400d, etc. The connector looks like a stereo mini jack so don't plug it into your iPhone.

Yes Robin, the GPS-1 has a 10 pin connector and I have one already. It looks like the RFN also uses a 10 pin connector hence my dilemma

Thanks all for your other responses so far.

Cheers...

What is your dilemma? Plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1 and you should be set. The plug on the GPS-1 was put there so you could use a remote.

Hi Robin.... Memory foggy today? I think you recommended the Solmeta 10-pin Y-splitter a few months ago.

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/products_id/738

Jim

The Nikon GP-1 has a 10-pin pass-through outlet. You can plug a remote into that outlet. So, a Y-splitter is not required.

Other GPS units that connect to the 10-pin connector on the camera do not have a pass-through outlet so you would need a splitter to use a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

So is the bottom line: I can use the GPS-1 and RFN-4 together or I need another type?

Cheers...

axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
In reply to Luis Ortega, May 15, 2013

Do you folks leave your RFN-4s on your camera continuously?

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
In reply to axcentphoto, May 15, 2013

If I'm going out shooting on a tripod, I put it on.  I take off again when I get home.

Even though it's small, it's still big enough that something might catch it and break it, or break the 10-pin connector.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Robin Casady
Like?
RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to net_walker, May 15, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

So is the bottom line: I can use the GPS-1 and RFN-4 together...

No, the FRN-4 an entirely different animal. It fits the D600, D7100, etc. which do not have a 10-pin connector.

You need the RFN-4s.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to axcentphoto, May 15, 2013

axcentphoto wrote:

Do you folks leave your RFN-4s on your camera continuously?

Yes. I only remove it when I need the 10-pin connector for something else.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

net_walker
Like?
Re: RFN-4s, not RFN-4
In reply to Robin Casady, May 15, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

No, the FRN-4 an entirely different animal. It fits the D600, D7100, etc. which do not have a 10-pin connector.

You need the RFN-4s.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

OK, sorry Robyn but yes I meant can I use the GPS-1 & the RFN-4s at the same time?

Cheers...

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
Sigh. Just ordered another one...
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 16, 2013

Don't know what happened exactly, but today I put the remote on the camera before I walked out into the desert.  A little over a mile later I stopped to get some shots on the tripod with the remote release, and it was gone.   Must have rubbed against my hip when I the camera slung over my left shoulder and worked it's way loose.   Retraced my steps as best I could, but couldn't find the receiver.

From now on, I'll put it on in the field and be more careful.

At least I'll have two transmitters in a week or so.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to net_walker, May 16, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

You need the RFN-4s.

OK, sorry Robyn but yes I meant can I use the GPS-1 & the RFN-4s at the same time?

Cheers...

Yes, but be careful with those letters, nut_walker. One letter can make a big difference.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

net_walker
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 16, 2013

Yes, but be careful with those letters, nut_walker. One letter can make a big difference.

LOLS, but you could be true...

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to net_walker, May 16, 2013

net_walker wrote:

LOLS, but you could be true...

No, I'm just a figment of your imagination—a caterpillar on a mushroom.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?
Re: SMDV RFN-4s Remote Shutter Release User Guide
In reply to net_walker, May 17, 2013

Here is a link for the SMDV RFN-4s PDF User Guide/Manual...

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Review of RFN-4s

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/rfn-4s-new-favorite-wireless-remote.html

Jim

net_walker
Like?
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 17, 2013

BeachnCruz wrote:

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Review of RFN-4s

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/rfn-4s-new-favorite-wireless-remote.html

Jim

Thanks Jim...

Still not seeing how to have this and the GPA-1 connected at the same time tho.

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to net_walker, May 18, 2013

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Thanks for the PDF link. I'd misplaced my tiny paper version didn't remember what the bulb trick (impacts bracketing sequences) was.

Thanks Jim...

You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

net_walker
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 18, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

SMDV RFN-4s User Manual

Thanks for the PDF link. I'd misplaced my tiny paper version didn't remember what the bulb trick (impacts bracketing sequences) was.

Thanks Jim...

You open a cover on the GP-1a to reveal a 10-pin outlet. You plug the RFN-4s into that. See this page and select Product Information. Look at #4.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Hey Robyn,

Mr Thick here again

OK, get me try and get this one last time.

I hook the RFN-4s to the round 10 pin terminal on the front of the D800.

Now, how do I connect the RFN-4s to the GPS-1 to the remote inlet/outlet that you describe above and once before? I see no cable pins in the RFN-4s manual as linked by Jim.

Cheers again

Paul...

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?

net_walker wrote:

Now, how do I connect the RFN-4s to the GPS-1 to the remote inlet/outlet that you describe above and once before? I see no cable pins in the RFN-4s manual as linked by Jim.

Read the first sentence.   You plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1, not the other way around.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

BassFisher
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: Solmeta 10-pin Y splitter with coiled cable now available
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 18, 2013

+1 on the SMDV RFN-4S remote.

I have the MC-36  but bought 2 of SMDV RFN-4S remote  one for D800E and one for my D700 when my daughter an I go shooting together.

This is one nice piece of gear. Cheap and small. Easy to use and put the MC-36 back in the cupboard.

-- hide signature --

BillD
Sydney, Australia
Time is the only thing I don't have enough of.

BassFisher's gear list:BassFisher's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
net_walker
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 18, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Read the first sentence.   You plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1, not the other way around.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Ok, I think I am finally seeing the light.

So, GPS-1 connected to the front 10 pin round plug.

Then I hook the RFS-4s to the side of the GPS-1 using a cable what converts 10 pin round to 10 pin rectangle.

So I need to acquire another cable then?

Paul...

BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?
Re: Fitting the old round peg into a rectangular hole trick....

net_walker wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

net_walker wrote:

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Ok, I think I am finally seeing the light.

So, GPS-1 connected to the front 10 pin round plug.

Then I hook the RFS-4s to the side of the GPS-1 using a cable what converts 10 pin round to 10 pin rectangle.

So I need to acquire another cable then?

Paul...

Ever watch the old Monty Hall Game Show? What's behind Door #4? Fitting the old round peg into a rectangular hole trick.... Ever feel like someone has gifted you a 1000 piece puzzle and neglected to tell you that 1 piece of the puzzle is missing? The Fog Bank is still lingering Robin.....  

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads