Remote Shutter Release D800

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
net_walker
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Remote Shutter Release D800
May 13, 2013

Apologies but when I do a search for this it comes up with crap loads of chatter (unless you can search a phrase that I do not know about)

I am after suggestions for remote cable release, wireless or not is good.

Cheers...

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Snarry
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: Remote Shutter Release D800
In reply to net_walker, May 13, 2013

I use the Hahnel Giga T Pro with my D800 and it has been working great for me.  The release control tends to shut off a bit quicker than I would like when not in use (the receiver itself stays powered until I manually turn it off), but this is most likely to conserve battery power -- easy enough to hit the power button to turn it back on again.  You can probably find it for around $100 USD.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msjhaffey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?

I have a Phottix, which has worked well with my D700 my causes strange side effects on my D800.  (However, I'm encountering other strange behaviour on my D800, so the problem may be the D800)

-- hide signature --

Sean
www.seanhaffey.co.uk

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,619
Like?

net_walker wrote:

Apologies but when I do a search for this it comes up with crap loads of chatter (unless you can search a phrase that I do not know about)

Cheers...

I've used a variety of remotes, wired and wireless. My favorite, and the one I use 90% of the time is the RFN-4s. The camera part is small and plugs directly into the 10-pin connector without a cable. Most wireless remotes put a bar of soap on the flash shoe. This doesn't.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

net_walker
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 13, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Cheers...

I've used a variety of remotes, wired and wireless. My favorite, and the one I use 90% of the time is the RFN-4s. The camera part is small and plugs directly into the 10-pin connector without a cable. Most wireless remotes put a bar of soap on the flash shoe. This doesn't.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Thanks Robyn.

Link did not work but I binged and found on Amazon.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

Cheers...

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,747Gear list
Like?

+1 on the SMDV RFN-4S remote.

I've got two Phottix wireless remotes and two wired remotes.  (Ancient Nikon $60 remote I bought for my N90s - still works, and some $10 thing I bought on Amazon).

I've only used the Nikon (MC-30) on the D800e so far and the SMDV.  Both work fine.  I suspect the others also work fine as they are OK on my D700 and D300.   The Phottix (original N1 and MegaCleon) remotes are cheaper than the Nikon MC-30.

What I like about the SMDV is NO WIRES on the camera.    When I use a remote, I'm also using the camera on a tripod.    And then I'm usually carrying the camera and tripod to another location (shooting wildlife), and any kind of a wire dangling from the camera while it is attached to the tripod tends to get tangled up.   It's also an issue flipping the camera on it's L-plate.   The SMDV doesn't have that annoying wired.

I also like that the SMDV doesn't need batteries as that's one less battery to worry about in the field.

Haven't tested the range of the SMDV beyond 10 feet.  No idea how far it works.

Also considered using my Pocket Wizards as remotes, until I found out that the wire to connect the Wizard to the camera is $100!

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
JRDavis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,309Gear list
Like?

The RFN-4s is an excellent remote.

-- hide signature --

John

JRDavis's gear list:JRDavis's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,186
Like?
+1 for the RFN 4s !

I used the Photix for some times, then decided to try the RFN4s.... Now I use it all the time !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.viewat.org/?sec=pn&id_aut=2489
Equipment list in profile

jermark
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 14, 2013

+1 on the SMDV RFN-4S remote.

I've got two Phottix wireless remotes and two wired remotes.  (Ancient Nikon $60 remote I bought for my N90s - still works, and some $10 thing I bought on Amazon).

I've only used the Nikon (MC-30) on the D800e so far and the SMDV.  Both work fine.  I suspect the others also work fine as they are OK on my D700 and D300.   The Phottix (original N1 and MegaCleon) remotes are cheaper than the Nikon MC-30.

What I like about the SMDV is NO WIRES on the camera.    When I use a remote, I'm also using the camera on a tripod.    And then I'm usually carrying the camera and tripod to another location (shooting wildlife), and any kind of a wire dangling from the camera while it is attached to the tripod tends to get tangled up.   It's also an issue flipping the camera on it's L-plate.   The SMDV doesn't have that annoying wired.

I also like that the SMDV doesn't need batteries as that's one less battery to worry about in the field.

Haven't tested the range of the SMDV beyond 10 feet.  No idea how far it works.

Also considered using my Pocket Wizards as remotes, until I found out that the wire to connect the Wizard to the camera is $100!

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

The RFN4s needs 1 piece type AAA battery on the remote control. I went out shooting one fine day forgetting to check. Dry bat...sigh. Couldn't use it, no spare in my bag.

jermark's gear list:jermark's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Robin Casady
Like?
GPS & Remote Shutter Release
In reply to net_walker, May 14, 2013

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

I wonder if there is a way to use remotes as well as the GPS-1 at the same time...

I believe the GPS-1 has a 10-pin outlet so you can connect a remote. You should check first.

If you get an Aokatec AK-G1syou can use their cord remote, or a remote compatible with Canon Rebel Xsl, 450d, 50e, 500, 300, 300x, 300v, 400d, etc. The connector looks like a stereo mini jack so don't plug it into your iPhone.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

net_walker
Like?
Re: GPS & Remote Shutter Release
In reply to Robin Casady, May 14, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

I believe the GPS-1 has a 10-pin outlet so you can connect a remote. You should check first.

If you get an Aokatec AK-G1syou can use their cord remote, or a remote compatible with Canon Rebel Xsl, 450d, 50e, 500, 300, 300x, 300v, 400d, etc. The connector looks like a stereo mini jack so don't plug it into your iPhone.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Yes Robin, the GPS-1 has a 10 pin connector and I have one already. It looks like the RFN also uses a 10 pin connector hence my dilemma

Thanks all for your other responses so far.

Cheers...

8pilot
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Re: +1more for the RFN 4s !
In reply to JP Scherrer, May 14, 2013

Works perfectly

8pilot's gear list:8pilot's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9700 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Robin Casady
Like?

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Yes Robin, the GPS-1 has a 10 pin connector and I have one already. It looks like the RFN also uses a 10 pin connector hence my dilemma

Cheers...

What is your dilemma? Plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1 and you should be set. The plug on the GPS-1 was put there so you could use a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Luis Ortega
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

I use the cable remote that I bought for the d300 years ago and it works fine.

BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Cheers...

What is your dilemma? Plug the RFN-4s into the GPS-1 and you should be set. The plug on the GPS-1 was put there so you could use a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Hi Robin.... Memory foggy today? I think you recommended the Solmeta 10-pin Y-splitter a few months ago.

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/products_id/738

Jim

net_walker
Like?

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Cheers...

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Well, now I do feel a little silly...now I know what the other cable is for. Now have to see where I can buy in Oz as Amazon will not ship it there.

Cheers...

net_walker
Like?
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 14, 2013

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Cheers...

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Hi Robin.... Memory foggy today? I think you recommended the Solmeta 10-pin Y-splitter a few months ago.

Jim

That looks the treat...ignore my post above as I could still not work out how I would do it. Unless there is a cable that runs from the RFN-4s to the GPS that I do not see.

Cheers...

BeachnCruz
Like?
Re: Solmeta 10-pin Y splitter with coiled cable now available

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Cheers...

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Jim

That looks the treat...ignore my post above as I could still not work out how I would do it. Unless there is a cable that runs from the RFN-4s to the GPS that I do not see.

Cheers...

Just a heads up to Net_Walker .... I see that Solmeta now offer a coiled Cable version of the Solmeta 10-pin Y Splitter, which will stretch to 25cm when needed. I think I prefer the coiled cable version. Here is the direct link....

http://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/12

Jim

net_walker
Like?
In reply to BeachnCruz, May 14, 2013

BeachnCruz wrote:

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Cheers...

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Jim

Cheers...

Just a heads up to Net_Walker .... I see that Solmeta now offer a coiled Cable version of the Solmeta 10-pin Y Splitter, which will stretch to 25cm when needed. I think I prefer the coiled cable version. Here is the direct link....

Jim

Thanks Jim....still trying to work out how to get the  RFN-4 to me...anyone here  who would buy and ship it to me in Oz? At my expense of course

BeachnCruz
Like?

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

net_walker wrote:

BeachnCruz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

net_walker wrote:

Thanks Robyn.

Cheers...

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

Jim

Cheers...

Jim

Thanks Jim....still trying to work out how to get the  RFN-4 to me...anyone here  who would buy and ship it to me in Oz? At my expense of course

Net_Walker .... I noticed that Geoffrey4 (Western Australia) posted on the Nikonians Forum Oct 16th that he couldn't find the SMDV RFN-4s Wireless Shutter Release in Australia so he successfully ordered and received one from a USA eBay Seller.... I have a hunch you are being a little passive about procurring one....  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RFN-4s-Wireless-Remote-Shutter-Release-for-Nikon-DSLR-MC30-D4-D3-D800-D700-/321123699412?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item4ac476cad4

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads